• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

Hip Hop

Was this a one off thing? How decent were the Tomb Raider and Gears ports?

Hopefully they get their act together before Forza Horizon 3 rolls around.

Which supports my point that it's a poorly worked out port. Killer Instinct doesn't have most of the issues QB has, does it?
There are ALWAYS going to be issues with PC games. ALWAYS. It's a give in considering the variety of hardware that they all have to work on. The silver lining is that in many cases these issues can be fixed by the PC gamer who searches for a solution. Not so with UWP. The developer left any bugs in the game? Everyone's fucked.

Saul

Banned
super great when they barely post in 5 years and then suddenly triple their post count in Microsoft related threads, right around the launch of a new MS gaming initiative.

Happens to be an interesting topic, which isn't discussed much in my actual german console gaming community.

Glad I could help ^_^

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Xbox exclusives are coming to PC, which is a great thing. And as UWP is still young, things are going to get better over the years, as developers get used to it, as soon as games are developed ground up for the platform, not as QB.

Still young ? How's this consumer problems ? It's not about how old your service is, it's about today's standards. It's like a car manufacturer coming into the industry, releasing a car without belts, airbags and old techbologies and just say "Hey it's our first model ! So it's like first cars ! "
It doesnt works like this.

Things are going to get better OVER THE YEARS ? What's even the point then ? What's even the point to make a lesser standard and hope that in years, it'll become on par with the actual one ?

Wouldn't you have to use your mouse for shutting down your computer afterward anyway? ^^

I mean you're right, this is an issue, but it's a minimal one in my opinion.

Nope, I can shut down my computer with my controller. Because PC is an open platform and 3rd parties programs allow me to do that. Which... UWP model is going to prevent soon.

Still young ? How's this consumer problems ? It's not about how old your service is, it's about today's standards. It's like a car manufacturer coming into the industry, releasing a car without belts, airbags and old techbologies and just say "Hey it's our first model ! So it's like first cars ! "

Things are going to get better OVER THE YEARS ? What's even the point then ? What's even the point to make a lesser standard and hope that in years, it'll become on par with the actual one ?

Isn't it great that we have gotten Gears UE and Quantum Break in a completely fucked up state? Who cares if it's actually playable? We have them on PC! Gears of War 6 will be amazing on PC. Gears 4 and 5 will be shit, but whatever.

Markoman

Haha, MS really doesn't want me as a customer it seems.
I've went from 360 to PS4 without looking back.

I wasn't really excited for the game, but sorry for you guys...

Crackbone

Every thread. Every single thread with bad news about MS' PC push has this garbage.

The astroturfing on this subject is some of the worst I've seen in some time.

Honestly as sad as I am for those folks that wanted to play this on PC and have a good experience I can't help but also feel satisfied that MS is doing more PR damage to UWP than anyone else could.

ultimota

That can be fixed with something like RTSS.

That shouldn't have to be fixed with something like RTSS.

fact is there's no accounting for bad dev work.

IT SHOULD NOT BE ON THE COMMUNITY TO FIX THINGS

UWP wouldn't be a problem nor should it be if the devs do the right thing

Doikor

I don't think you ever owned a Tesla Roadster. From every review I've heard about it was basically that but in the auto industry. Only fancy thing it had going for it was the electric motors. (you could say the same about UWP and security being pretty much the only good thing about it)

tuxfool

Banned
Happens to be an interesting topic, which isn't discussed much in my actual german console gaming community.

Glad I could help ^_^

With good reason. Aren't you a black sheep talking up all the benefits of consolizing a PC? Germany is PC land after all.

Trup1aya

It's MS, if they can't do this with their flagship OS product you shouldn't expect them to fare any better with games made by an external developer. This was expected really as the whole UWP idea is built on a false premise and it will take some beating for MS to realize this - as usual.

I wouldn't say the entirety of UWP is built on a false premise... It's simply that 'code once' concept doesn't work for more complex applications, such as AAA gaming.

The vast majority of applications aren't AAA games, though.

Also, there is no requirement that developers don't mind specific hardware requirements when porting their games using UWP. When neccisary, they can and should custimize code to specific hardware.

in practice, the benefit of UWP is that much more of your code base will carry over regardless of the endusers hardware, but there will almost always be additional work that need to be done to specialize more complex works.

Isn't it great that we have a new wave of juniors here to tell us how great UWP is?

Microsoft aren't trying to compete. The moves they've made with their store are anti competitive moves. They hold the keys to the platform, and have shown intent to lock it down. Sure, they're not doing it yet, but if they had their way they would. Thankfully they seem too incompetent to do so right now.

I'm not sure why you keep harping on Juniors... Just because someone his new to PC gaming or new to posting these forums, they shouldn't be commenting?

I don't think anyone here is singing the praises of UWP for AAA gaming, but there's what seems to be a conscious effort to miss characterize which issues are actually a result of UWP limitations, which one's are a result of developers decisions.

There's also a ton of accusations and/or misrepresentations about UWP's openness or lack thereof that are factually incorrect... Of course, anyone who points out these inaccuracies is 'defending', because that's how the Internet works.

Saul

Banned

It's a matter of perspective, really. Of couse for the PC gamers used to modding and so forth it's not an interesting platform. But for the console gamer that is now able to play his favourite console games on stronger hardware and with mouse and keyboard, it's definitely an improvement.

Especially if it only has to be bouth once, and can then be played on console and PC as well (which I bet is going to be the standard for UWP games).

Which... UWP model is going to prevent soon.

Not going to happen. Windows is successfull because it's an open platform. The Store will always be parallel to the Windows programs you can download from the internet.

I don't think you ever owned a Tesla Roadster. From every review I've heard about it was basically that but in the auto industry.

Was it really to this point though ? No battery gauge ? No seat belt ?

It's a matter of perspective, really. Of couse for the PC gamers used to modding and so forth it's not an interesting platform. But for the console gamer that is now able to play his favourite console games on stronger hardware and with mouse and keyboard, it's definitely an improvement.

Especially if it only has to be bouth once, and can then be played on console and PC as well (which I bet is going to be the standard for UWP games).

Not going to happen. Windows is successfull because it's an open platform. The Store will always be parallel to the Windows programs you can download from the internet.

I'm a console gamer first and foremost though. I switched to PC because of today's improvements, which brought me the ease of a console experience with the advantages of PC.

What's even the point with MS' crossbuy ? Why would I care about having a PC version supposed to be better and an Xbox One version supposed to be worse ? Especially when it's not even the case yet ! And worse, this is already possible with Steam, without any UWP, for cross OS.

And yes it's happening. Windows is popular because of this openess but MS want to monetize all of that.

tuxfool

Banned

Sorry dude, regardless of the shockingly bad frame pacing issues here, most games despite sometimes having acceptable solutions are still overshadowed by RTSS.

The developer doesn't always consider less optimal frame pacing broken.

Saul

Banned
The point of PC is being able to customize away those minimal problems.

I'm sure that you'll be able to find a software somewhere that allows you to use your xbox controller as a mouse to then use the controller to hover to the top right corner of the screen to close the UWA QB is.

Wow this looks awful.

W4gY7eK.jpg

I wouldn't use the word awful. Not the best looking, not the worst but it does look odd. Not sure what it is as I can't quite put my finger on it.

It's not an improvement at all. It's a shoddy, broken mess of a port that even the most doe-eyed console gamer would run away from in terror.

It's a terrible product. Look at the OP for christ sakes, it's all there. Nothing about that is acceptable from any perspective.

I'm sure that you'll be able to find a software somewhere that allows you to use your xbox controller as a mouse to then use the controller to hover to the top right corner of the screen to close the UWA QB is.

Or the game could be not a shitty, awful product and include an exit button.

But it didn't, just another piece of the "this is a terrible product" puzzle. They're asking me to pay money for this? Fuck no.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Using something like RTSS or nVidia half-refresh is hardly something you'd need the community to address. When devs don't get it right, it sucks, but the PC is the place where you COULD at least address the problems at hand.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 suffer from this on consoles and you CANNOT fix it. The devs dropped the ball and there's nothing that can be done. On the PC? You could solve this problem.

Until UWP come along.

ViviOggi

All these lazy devs not optimizing frame pacing across an infinite number of setups.........

While very few games are borked as hard as QB in the frame pacing department RTSS still offers improvements across the board, and it takes like 30 seconds max to set up for any given game

Fishook

Was looking to purchase this when I get my new rig up and running later this year, My system did'nt like Win 10, but will put on my new build. Microsoft seem determined to screw the PC gamer, and then moan when games will not sell. May pick up when its more stable or cheaper.

I am getting a bit bored of the AAA multi format games, but will support new IP's. I am prepared to drop some serious money on my PC, it happens every time I consider buying a new PC, I go into the debate of do I really need a power horse PC, but I do enjoy playing AAA games once in a while and would annoy me if I can't play them with acceptable FPS and Graphics. I admit the wear and tear of my 4 and half year rig is just starting to annoy me but it more than adequate for a average gamer. (still more x times more powerful than consoles, if programmed right)

It just makes people sway more towards consoles rather than PC's as they don't optimise games very well and unless you are dedicated its not worth spending loads on PC's.

aeolist

Banned

this doesn't happen in the real world. our future is either getting some broken games on UWP that aren't fixable, or getting some broken games on win32/linux/other actually open systems that are fixable.

developers are fallible humans constrained by money, time, and personnel and not every problem will be caught or fixed before or after release. if you want to play games "as the developer intended" then i invite you to go spend the day trying to get through skyrim on a ps3.

Gbraga

I agree that we shouldn't have to use RTSS to fix frame pacing, but it's great that we can.

When Destiny was on beta and had shitty frame pacing, we had to beg for them to fix it. Thankfully, they did.

When Bloodborne came out and had shitty frame pacing, we had to beg for them to fix it. To this date, the problem persists.

Yeah, it may suck on principle that bad 30fps locks are more common on PC, but I wish I could spend a little less than a minute putting Bloodborne's executable on RTSS so I could fix the issue on PS4.

Maxximo

Using something like RTSS or nVidia half-refresh is hardly something you'd need the community to address. When devs don't get it right, it sucks, but the PC is the place where you COULD at least address the problems at hand.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 suffer from this on consoles and you CANNOT fix it. The devs dropped the ball and there's nothing that can be done. On the PC? You could solve this problem.

Until UWP come along.

You know, I was worried but after seeing theese results i don't think it's gonna be a problem. xD

Saul

Banned
Or the game could be not a shitty, awful product and include an exit button.

Yes but you told me Windows is all about being able to fix tiny problems (such as this one) with custom software, which is exactly what you are able to to thanks to the openness of Windows 10.

It just makes people sway more towards consoles rather than PC's as they don't optimise games very well and unless you are dedicated its not worth spending loads on PC's.

For every unoptimized mess we get on PC, there's an unoptimized and janky sub-20 release on consoles. There's going to be unacceptable releases on every platform.

Yes but you told me Windows is all about being able to fix tiny problems (such as this one) with custom software, which is exactly what you are able to to thanks to the openness of Windows 10.

Well. Good, then. I'm glad we had to install a third party application to solve a simple problem that PC gaming solved decades ago because this shitty product sucks so much.

Too bad you can't fix the rest of the problems because of UWP.

aeolist

Banned

i really, really doubt you'd find a third party program that lets you enable and disable this mode in-game entirely with the controller. either way you will need a mouse and/or keyboard.

nynt9

I'm not sure why you keep harping on Juniors... Just because someone his new to PC gaming or new to posting these forums, they shouldn't be commenting?

I guess I find it bizarre that a 7 year old account that had barely ever posted before is suddenly super active in all UWP threads, very positive towards it and very vocal about it, talking about their own vision for PC gaming which they've shown no interest for before, and ignoring concerns of PC gamers, saying how they're unimportant and how UWP is the savior.

I also find it bizarre that this happens in every UWP thread, not with just with one person but with many.
Especially considering MS is known to astroturf on GAF

Sure, it's great that more people are into PC gaming if you want to not read anything into that, but them being unaware of Microsoft's history of bad will towards the platform and ignorant of the standards and desires of PC gaming does not help the conversation.

I get the distinct feeling Remedy didn't want anything to do with developing this game for PC and Microsoft cut a deal to force out a copy for the W10 store to support their PC gaming initiative, because Remedy in general has always made great PC ports. Alan Wake ran like a dream.

laxu

I wouldn't use the word awful. Not the best looking, not the worst but it does look odd. Not sure what it is as I can't quite put my finger on it.

For 1440p res picture, it's excessively blurry whether it's textures or edges of polygons.

I'm sad that a game from my country comes to PC in such a bad shape. That console style 70€ price tag is something PC gamers won't swallow either. It's like MS decided to let the game be released for PC and then Remedy had just enough time to try that it works and left it at that.

s_mirage

Microsoft have been caught astroturfing before, so when a bunch of new, or previously inactive, members suddenly show up extolling the virtues of a new MS initiative, it looks rather suspicious.

Jharp

Thought I'd share some of my experiences with the game so far. I decided I wasn't going to get it, but then caved last night because Remedy and such. I've completed Act 1, Junction Point 1, and watched the first episode of the show. Near as I can tell, I've finished the first third of the game.

I'm running a system I built back in December with an i7 4790k, GTX 980ti, and 16gb of RAM. Sorry if anyone with older systems was trying to hammer down impressions for their setups. I'm running the game at 1080 on a 50-inch plasma tv, with everything turned up to ultra. The game definitely has a lot of frame rate drops and stuttering, but nothing unplayable or sliedshow level. The game also has a weirdly stilted feel to its movement and combat, in a way that Alan Wake very much did not, and I can't tell if that's contributing to the way the game almost feels like it's stuttering even when it's not. Overall, though, it's playable, and despite its unpolished feel, is pretty enjoyable and fun. Image quality isn't the greatest, and it looks a lot muddier than what I've seen of the Bone version. That's a pretty sincere disappointment. When was the last time we got a major port for a major game from a major studio where the PC version was demonstrably worse looking and performing than its console counterpart? I'm sure it's happened more recently than I think, but that seems like the domain of Japanese PS2 ports from twelve years ago.

That said, the show ran like ass when it streamed for me this morning. Pretty heavy stutter from beginning to end, where it was a pain to look at at times, especially when any sort of action and quick cuts were happening on screen. It outright kicked me out of the show at one point because it failed to connect to the streaming source, and three times had to pause itself to buffer. If it weren't for the choices in the game affecting the way the show plays out, I'd just torrent the episodes themselves and watch them out of the app.

So yeah, if anyone cares, I'll post more impressions as I play more of the game. It's not as bad as I had mentally prepared myself for, but it's definitely not a fantastic port. Thankfully the game is good enough so far to keep me going. Hopefully they get some patches out stat for the game.

Was this a one off thing? How decent were the Tomb Raider and Gears ports?

Hopefully they get their act together before Forza Horizon 3 rolls around.

Speaking for myself, the Steam version of Tomb Raider was fantastic. Never touched the UWP version.

Trup1aya

Presumably, after you close QB, you'll be using your mouse to navigate your PC. What's the big deal about grabbing your mouse 2 seconds earlier?

dr_rus

I wouldn't say the entirety of UWP is built on a false premise... It's simply that 'code once' concept doesn't work for more complex applications, such as AAA gaming.

The vast majority of applications aren't AAA games, though.

Also, there is no requirement that developers don't mind specific hardware requirements when porting their games using UWP. When neccisary, they can and should custimize code to specific hardware.

The vast majority of applications will never be able to be "coded once" for such a wildly different platforms as smartphones, tablets (with keyboards!), laptops (with touchscreens!) and desktops. Hence why I consider the whole UWP idea built on a false premise.

MS is looking at how Apple do stuff and try to mimic and improve it but they don't really understand why that stuff is done this way in Apple's ecosystem and as a result of this lack of understanding they are making it worse instead of improving it.

The gory truth here is that MS has lost its own identity and is trying to chase some other company success instead of embracing the better parts of their own ecosystem - and while they're doing this another company has successfully sidetracked them and has built a platform which is in all essence and purpose what a Windows for smartphones should've been years ago (I'm talking about Android obviously).

Instead of building this attractive mobile platform separately from Windows and integrating them together later (as Apple did) they try to force themselves into the market by turning their PC platform into something it's not and something it doesn't want to be. This is a false way of getting there for them and it won't bring them anything but issues as they are trying to sell something to PC crowd which nobody here wants to buy in the first place.

So yeah I can see this whole UWP initiative dead in a couple of years just like it was with countless MS initiatives of the previous dozen of years where they essentially failed to provide a product which market wanted and provided something which they wanted instead thinking that it will be successful just because of their grasp and influence on PC market. It wasn't though and it won't be now.

Low resolution shadows from the ligh above make it so small details are largely unshadowed (under the eye lids, under the small folds and creases of the face). Hence why their facial features look mroe or less uniformly lit instead of... well... shaded.

Definitely not going to win any awards for "best graphics" 2016.

I wasn't planning on buying this game but given that it will probably run like crap on my high end rig that seals the deal for me.

Saul

Banned
and ignoring concerns of PC gamers, saying how they're unimportant and how UWP is the savior.

Firstly, pls show me quotes where I'm stating any of this. My point is simply that for some gamers UWP has the potential to improve the gaming experience, and that I'm happy that another competitor has entered the space of PC gaming.

I am indeed excited to see the first ground up UWP games and hope they will turn out better than the previously released games.

Secondly:

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

RexNovis

Banned
In this thread people are shilling for a new restrictive game development platform that is currently causing serious issues in large part to its closed nature because they like the idea of features it could possible maybe have some day hopefully.

You know you have absolutely no ground to stand in when all you have to say is "but they could do this in the future and then it would be cool." Y'all need to book your return tickets from the land of land of make believe pie in the sky hypotheticals and face reality. The current situation paints a picture clear enough to be recognizable from orbit and if you'd bother to open your eyes long enough to see past your own lovesick daydreams you would see that too.

ultimota

Listen junior, clearly you're not a PC gamer, so why are you even in this thread?

being a "junior" has nothing to do with anything.... (also been on these forum 1 year less than you whoopie)

you have no damn right to talk down to me like that.

and if you must know i game on everything.....

Until UWP come along.

[and to the others who replied]

i do agree its nice to be able to fix things all im saying is you shouldn't have to if the devs are doing the right thing by their games regardless of their platform :/

Fishook

For every unoptimized mess we get on PC, there's an unoptimized and janky sub-20 release on consoles. There's going to be unacceptable releases on every platform..

Very true, its mainly as it just a lot of cash, plus a VR headset as well plus a fancy new monitor. I know it will be worth it, but I get jitters will every new PC bulid. Last time bought a Laptop to go with a console, Lasted around 4-6 months and bought a desktop as got rid of the others.

Top Bottom