• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

StereoVsn

Microsoft is going for the hat trick of terrible PC releases. I like the, just in time for NHL playoffs. Isn't it great how those evil molders with their key loggers can't help MS fix their bug ridden releases on their mighty UWP platform.

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Xbox exclusives are coming to PC, which is a great thing. And as UWP is still young, things are going to get better over the years, as developers get used to it, as soon as games are developed ground up for the platform, not as QB.

What potential benefits might UWP offer to gamers, once it's 'matured' out of it's current 'young' shitshow phase, over what is already achievable without it?

What was that?

Nothing?

What you're saying is that one day, maybe, UWP might be in a state where it's kind of, sort of as good as good as standards we've had for years?

I doubt MS even has it in them to bring it up to that standard without fucking it up and unnecessarily trashing even more PC ports along the way.

ultimota

Microsoft have been caught astroturfing before, so when a bunch of new, or previously inactive, members suddenly show up extolling the virtues of a new MS initiative, it looks rather suspicious.

unfounded suspicions that i honestly find insulting.
the unwelcoming nature of some people is why i've struggled to post much since joining at the end of '14

that being said i have defended uwp a bit but purely because ive genuinely had a good experience with the big 4 in minecraft, ROTR, gears and KI (still waiting on my QB preorder code)

GHG

Firstly, pls show me quotes where I'm stating any of this. My point is simply that for some gamers UWP has the potential to improve the gaming experience, and that I'm happy that another competitor has entered the space of PC gaming.

I am indeed excited to see the first ground up UWP games and hope they will turn out better than the previously released games.

Secondly:

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

Please do tell us then, what benefits will these "from the ground up" UWP games give us that other standards that already exist wouldn't be able to give us? (and by us I mean us as in the end users, not the company you are cheerleading)

Go on, I'm waiting.

aeolist

Banned
i do agree its nice to be able to fix things all im saying is you shouldn't have to if the devs are doing the right thing by their games regardless of their platform :/

games (and software in general) have always been buggy, since the very beginning of programming. expecting every release to come out with no problems or be fixed post-release is simply unrealistic. it'd be nice, but it will never ever happen.

Trup1aya

Microsoft have been caught astroturfing before, so when a bunch of new, or previously inactive, members suddenly show up extolling the virtues of a new MS initiative, it looks rather suspicious.

Sure, but it seems like any one who corrects inaccuracies is considered to be "extolling virtues" What is suspicious about trying to have a discussion using facts instead of false assumptions/accusations.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
There goes their promise of PC gaming ... again.

I hope they step up their game down the line, but this is a bad start.
At this point, the best we can hope for is that Microsoft steps down from PC gaming altogether before they keep ruining it any more. Seems like it's only a fool's dream to expect them to go back to that late 1999/early 2000 goodness.

GHG

Sure, but it seems like any one who corrects inaccuracies is considered to be "extolling virtues" What is suspicious about trying to have a discussion using facts instead of false assumptions/accusations.

Funny you talk about facts vs assumptions when all I see is the defenders of UWP saying "wait for this, wait for that, but in the meantime please don't say bad things about Microsoft and UWP".

So in your mind who is talking about the facts here and who is assuming?

Saul

Banned
What potential benefits might UWP offer to gamers, once it's 'matured' out of it's current 'young' shitshow phase, over what is already achievable without it?

The advantage is that it's basically your console gaming experience, but you're not limited to Xbox One hardware anymore. Also some forms of modding will be available, so also in that sense it's going to be better than the current console gaming experience.

Please do tell us then, what benefits will these "from the ground up" UWP games give us that other standards that already exist wouldn't be able to give us? (and by us I mean us as in the end users, not the company you are cheerleading)

Go on, I'm waiting.

What I stated above, as well as games will automatically be backwards compatible, and in not many years an average smartphone will be powerful enough to run UWP games from some years earlier. You could then even use your smartphone (continuum feature) as a Xbox console for your TV. (Xbox One controller support will be added later this year for W10M)

LostDonkey

Seems kind of ironic saying give it more time to mature.

I mean, this is Microsoft. You know, PC.

They should know what they're doing by now.

GHG

The advantage is that it's basically your console gaming experience, but you're not limited to Xbox One hardware anymore. Also some forms of modding will be available, so also in that sense it's going to be better than the current console gaming experience.

What I stated above, as well as games will automatically be backwards compatible, and in not many years an average smartphone will be powerful enough to run UWP games from some years earlier. You could then even use your smartphone (continuum feature) as a Xbox console for your TV.

You're talking to me about backwards compatibility? Sorry, but are you new to PC gaming?

ultimota

games (and software in general) have always been buggy, since the very beginning of programming. expecting every release to come out with no problems or be fixed post-release is simply unrealistic. it'd be nice, but it will never ever happen.

i know but blaming UWP for it is like getting a bad meal and blaming the plate it's served on instead of the chef who prepared it.....or at least that's how i see it :p

Starfield

Trying to play the game on High settings with a GTX780 /i7 4770k and 16gb is impossible, wtf? that supposed to be normal?

wapplew

What was that?

Nothing?

What you're saying is that one day, maybe, UWP might be in a state where it's kind of, sort of as good as good as standards we've had for years?

I doubt MS even has it in them to bring it up to that standard without fucking it up and unnecessarily trashing even more PC ports along the way.

The benefits including:

Cross buy, which achievable on without UWP
Cross play, same
Write once, publish every where, not working.
Play your AAA on all devices natively, laptop, tablet, phone in the future. Maybe.

Haha, MS really doesn't want me as a customer it seems.
I've went from 360 to PS4 without looking back
Yeah, this is me as well. I had probably +100 games on 360, but now I'm never going back. They fucked up the PC community real bad with this UWP games. Now I fear for Remedy if this game does bad. They are my favorite studio working today.

epmode

I'm not sure why you keep harping on Juniors... Just because someone his new to PC gaming or new to posting these forums, they shouldn't be commenting?

MS has astroturfed the shit out of this forum in the past. Mods have even commented about it. Threads about XB1's proposed used game restrictions and the 24 hour checkin looked very similar to these UWP-related threads.

GHG

i know but blaming UWP for it is like getting a bad meal and blaming the plate it's served on instead of the chef who prepared it.....or at least that's how i see it :p

If the plate that the food is served on is stone cold or even melts because it isn't heat resistant then yes, the plate is also culpable.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
"Console gaming experience"? WTF is that?

bleating on at the beginning of a generation about how this $400 box is going to last you the best part of a decade before buying a $400 iterative upgrade a couple of years later.

GHG

The benefits including:

Cross play, same
Play your AAA on all devices, laptop, tablet, phone in the future. Maybe.

The bolded is already possible and has been for quite some time with streaming.

Saul

Banned
You're talking to me about backwards compatibility? Sorry, but are you new to PC gaming?

PC gamer since 1998 (World Cup 98, then soon after Gothic ����).

I'm talking about Microsoft adding their console content to PC, meaning from the perspective of Xbox Live users that are now also going to be able to play their games on PC, and that Xbox One is becoming more like a PC.

nynt9

Seems kind of ironic saying give it more time to mature.

I mean, this is Microsoft. You know, PC.

They should know what they're doing by now.

Yeah, that's the thing. This isn't their first store. They already crashed and burned with GFWL. And they're one of the biggest tech companies. Hell, they even "created DirectX" so they should know better.

"Console gaming experience"? WTF is that?

Something about bringing up Continuum set off alarm bells in my head. That reads like a CSR response.

Yeah, buzzwords and mentioning Continuum, it is kinda weird. "This post brought to you by The Xbox One All-in-One Entertainment System™"

Chobel

PC gamer since 1998 (Gothic 👌🏼).

I'm talking about Microsoft adding their console content to PC, meaning from the perspective of Xbox Live users that are now also going to be able to play their games on PC, and that Xbox One is becoming more like a PC.

First of all Gothic was released on 2001.
Second, the question was: what are the benefits of UWP for PC gamers?

Dinjoralo

Backwards compatibility on PC? Really, now. I guess Windows 10 is the legendary PC², and we should not be surprised that Microsoft is making programs that won't run on those outdated PC's.

What I stated above, as well as games will automatically be backwards compatible, and in not many years an average smartphone will be powerful enough to run UWP games from some years earlier. You could then even use your smartphone

OK but here's the issue. That subset of people is fairly small. I don't own an Xbox and have no plans to do so. I'm also never, ever going to buy into the windows phone ecosystem (for a million different reasons) which you can be sure they'll lock their games to.

So the benefits of cross platform UWAs are completely lost on me. And I'm very much in the majority. Seems to me that Microsoft would love to force this system onto people in order to turn the windows 10 store into an apple store-like cash cow but the people who would gain a real material benefit from it is tiny. The biggest winner is Microsoft, the biggest loser is those who value the open platform nature of the PC.

RexNovis

Banned

What I stated above, as well as games will automatically be backwards compatible, and in not many years an average smartphone will be powerful enough to run UWP games from some years earlier. You could then even use your smartphone (continuum feature) as a Xbox console for your TV. (Xbox One controller support will be added later this year for W10M)

HAH! What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Obviously something you know absolutely nothing about. The level of ignorance you have displayed in this post along with the slew of others just like it in this thread are, quite simply, beyond comprehension. Please just stop posting about things you clearly have 0 understanding of in threads of topics you have 0 understanding of.

I mean it'd be one thing if you were looking for answers but we have literally explained the same things to you over and over again only to see you continue to post from a place of baffling ignorance. It's time to stop.

aeolist

Banned
fair point but you get what im trying to say

UWP has clear issues on its own, and may be culpable for more. we can't say for sure whether the issues with KI, gears, and QB stem from UWP directly but we can definitely say that most of them would be fixable if the games were win32.

The benefits including:

Cross play, same
Play your AAA on all devices natively, laptop, tablet, phone in the future. Maybe.

Agreed, this is bullshit. It wont happen if you device isnt x86. It's not about W10, Windows Store or UWP. It's about x86. And if your device is x86 with any windows you can already do that with Steam, Origin, Uplay. Microsoft isnt even there yet seriously.

nib95

Banned

Are you new to PC gaming? Everything you described is already possible with PC gaming outside of UWP, and has been for some time. There's no reason Microsoft couldn't release these games on Steam etc, they're not simply because they're trying to bolster UWP.

Saul

Banned
First of all Gothic was released on 2001.
Second, the question was: what are the benefits of UWP for PC gamers?

You're faster than my edit. First game was World Cup 98, Gothic soon followed. ^^

Second: None other than soon being able to play Xbox exclusives on PC.

JaggedSac

It's MS, if they can't do this with their flagship OS product you shouldn't expect them to fare any better with games made by an external developer. This was expected really as the whole UWP idea is built on a false premise and it will take some beating for MS to realize this - as usual.

The problem is that the UWP was not built and tested with large pc games in mind initially. Granted, these issues should not be(and most likely were not) a surprise to MS. Hell even their delta update process could not handle the huge installs of these things, lol. They are now scrambling to add things necessary for games to run properly on the wide arrays of setups out there, at which point resources become the bottleneck. Boggles the mind that they would release things to the public in this state. Or at least not with a preview moniker. These issues don't particularly affect other software out there besides games, but fixes to games would resolve issues they would have if any large software company decides to make UWP versions of their software. Something like Autocad or Adobe.

You're faster than my edit. First game was World Cup 98, Gothic soon followed. ^^

This isnt about UWP. This is about Microsoft strategy. There's already some Xbox exclusives you can play on PC, which arent UWP and which are sold on Steam.

GHG

PC gamer since 1998 (World Cup 98, then soon after Gothic ����).

Ok let me clear something up since I think you are deliberately interpreting my question in a way that opens it up to platforms outside of PC gaming. I was talking about PC gaming and only PC gaming. What are the advantages of these "from the ground up" UWP games going to be for PC gaming that we don't already have in some way shape or form elsewhere?

This is what interviewing Phil Specner must feel like.

Saul

Banned
The biggest winner is Microsoft, the biggest loser is those who value the open platform nature of the PC.

I agree it is a win for Microoft, but I don't agree it's a loss for the open platform. Steam and all the other platforms are still going to exist in parallel, so it changes nothing about the openness of the Windows platform. It simply adds another ecosystem which is Xbox Live, which will be somewhat closer.

HAH! What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Obviously something you know absolutely nothing about. The level of ignorance you have displayed in this post along with the slew of others just like it in this thread are, quite simply, beyond comprehension. Please just stop posting about things you clearly have 0 understanding of in threads of topics you have 0 understanding of.

Enlighten me.

Dinjoralo

That is basically my stance on this. The only good thing about UWP and the Windows Store is that Microsoft does not want their games out on anything they don't have control over, especially all the big-budget games they're publishing on console. So long as nobody else actually gets on this UWP train, which would surprise me if it happened because there isn't much benefit to it for them, I'm only a tad negative on the whole dealio.

epmode

I agree it is a win for Microoft, but I don't agree it's a loss for the open platform. Steam and all the other platforms are still going to exist in parallel, so it changes nothing about the openness of the Windows platform. It simply adds another ecosystem which is Xbox Live, which will be somewhat closer.

I can't.

I just can't.

That is basically my stance on this. The only good thing about UWP and the Windows Store is that Microsoft does not want their games out on anything they don't have control over, especially all the big-budget games they're publishing on console. So long as nobody else actually gets on this UWP train, which would surprise me if it happened because there isn't much benefit to it for them, I'm only a tad negative on the whole dealio.

The only reason third parties would get with UWP is MS moneyhats and/or locking OS/graphics features to UWP apps. Microsoft is definitely not above either strategy.

There's already too much ecosystems. We dont need one more, which brings nth but issues on top of that. Xbox Live ecosystem was already on PC with GFWL. It didnt ended well. No one wants that again. And no one wants GFWL 2.0 but in a closed garden environnement.

Tommy DJ

Boggles the mind that they would release things to the public in this state. Or at least not with a preview moniker.

Literally every piece of end user software Microsoft releases is filled with bugs and questionable implementation. As I said in another thread, their OneDrive business sync client can't handle more than 5,000 documents without severely fucking up syncing, versioning and so forth.

You'd think a piece of software for their business clients would be able to handle one very simple task that a business would very well encounter (syncing a large number of files) yet apparently not a single person at Microsoft bothered to test this.

Enlighten me.

When I can run all of my 360 and Xbox One games on my Windows 10 PC then I'll agree that it's cool - until then, it's just a gimped PC experience.

ethomaz

Banned
It is bad.
It is terrible,
It is ridiculous.

In fact this show a "devolution" in PC world... c'mon neither games released decades ago had these issues... you can start to be amateur after do a pro job in the past.

The resolution thing is unacceptable for PC no matter which excuse dev give you.

WUP had issues but that has noting to do with what is happening.

This is a clear case of bad development and disregard with consumers.

Neo_Geo

Banned
This really is a game that should have been released for free, with a fixed version costing around $10. This is an absolute disgrace to the PC community.

Saul

Banned
What are the advantages of these "from the ground up" UWP games going to be for PC gaming that we don't already have in some way shape or form elsewhere?

And I already told that there are no advantages, concerning the advanced features. It's about Microsoft trying to establish another ecosystem on PC. There was no advantage of Origin either. It's about competition.

I certainly won't blame them for trying to expand Xbox Live beyond the console market space.

aeolist

Banned
Forgot one benefit of UWA
Surcurity. This one gonna give it to MS. No more key logger on my chrome.

and i hate it when i try to edit some ini settings in a game and accidentally end up giving all of my credit card info to the russian mafia

Top Bottom