• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

I think the Story will be much better in UC4 and it’s improved dramatically mechanics wise. ND really seem to be putting out there best game and closing the series on a high note, I think even the critics tired of the formula will like it. Time will tell...

Given the logic of what we're talking about, could say this for any number of sequels, especially as we can see that one man's virtue is another man's irritation.

DryvBy

That Giant Bomb score. Whew!

I figured as much. This game didn't look too appealing. But then again, I hated Alan Wake a lot.

RowdyReverb

I guess I'll wait for a sale to pick it up. I'll probably end up liking it because I've got pretty serious open world fatigue, but I'm glad I didn't pre-order it.

People love overreacting to reviews. I'm still looking forward to it. Sunset Overdrive is the best exclusive this gen and that had low 80s.

dancmc

Still Day 1 for me. Reviews are so less important now with all of the pre-release footage/coverage out there; I can see for myself whether I will like a game or not based on that....this is right up my alley.

Raylan

Banned
So why do they keep making Microsoft exclusive games? Surely MS is at least funding them, and could stop funding them if they are not satisfied with Remedy's output?
Yes, they could end the deal with them. But it seems like both are happy.
Same as with Sony and From Software, or Sony and Insomniac Games. The dev is indie, but they have a good relationship with the publisher.
So they keep working together.

This is kind of what I expected. The gameplay looked kind of simple and repetitive. It seems like remedy went for all flash and wow with the graphics and TV content and didn't really succeed fully with either the gameplay or the not-gameplay hooks.

Shame it'll probably almost never be put on sale on PC either.

How did you come to that conclusion?

The reviews aren't anywhere near as bad as the order but single player linear story games like this have been on the downtrend for a while. Not having great reviews and being a new IP, and not being on all platforms doesn't bode well for this game.

So why do they keep making Microsoft exclusive games? Surely MS is at least funding them, and could stop funding them if they are not satisfied with Remedy's output?

Well MS could blame themselves for this one. I mean didnt they tell Remedy to make a system seller instead of Remedys plans to do AW2 ?

Osahi

Expected mostly 80s for Quantum Break so these reviews are matching with my expectations.

I'm expecting the game to be around where Infamous Second Son and Sunset Overdrive is at (low 80s metacritic) once more reviews come out.

I must say it has more 80+ reviews then I had expected after playing it. I knew it would be divisive, but I had expected more critics to place it in 70-79 region.

I do think the MC is going down though. The game is less good then Infamous SS and Sunset Overdrive (both of which I got a lot more fun out of than this one)

I've come to accept that Remedy games are kind of divisive. Alan Wake and American Nightmare are among my favorite games of all time, beyond hyped for Quantum Break I'm pretty sure I'll love it.

A bit lower than I was expecting (I xpected low to mid 80s), but it sounds like it's exactly what I was expecting, so I'm not concerned. I'm still excited for it.

Bgamer90

Banned
I must say it has more 80+ reviews then I had expected after playing it. I knew it would be divisive, but I had expected more critics to place it in 70-79 region.

I do think the MC is going down though. The game is less good then Infamous SS and Sunset Overdrive (both of which I got a lot more fun out of than this one)

I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as Sunset Overdrive (which was my 2014 GOTY) but I'm pretty sure that I will like it.

olimpia84

Reviews aren't bad but not stellar, I'm afraid this will bomb then. Gamers "out there" seem to only care about games with super high meta critic rankings and looks like this will be a less than 80 average....

gaming_noob

The reviews aren't anywhere near as bad as the order but single player linear story games like this have been on the downtrend for a while. Not having great reviews and being a new IP, and not being on all platforms doesn't bode well for this game.

Yes I agree with those points, and I suppose The Order was more hyped at the time and it still bombed. I don't feel anywhere close to the same hype for QB. Hope they do OK though...

Theorry

Reviews aren't bad but not stellar, I'm afraid this will bomb then. Gamers "out there" seem to only care about games with super high meta critic rankings and looks like this will be a less than 80 average....

Mwah. The Division didnt score as high. Got a ton of sales.

psychotron

Still getting it regardless of Jeff (who apparently hates everything these days) and his 2/5. I'm sure I'll really enjoy the experience, and then I'll trade the sucker in. Dark Souls 3 is going to consume me anyway.

I watched a couple hours of one of the previews for Quantum Break and I have to admit I just didn't get it. If it wasn't for my faith in Remedy I'm not sure I'd still be thinking about this.

78 meta with mostly positive reviews is called "mixed" now?

78 is low enough that for a new IP with a somewhat limited appeal to begin with can kill the entire franchise.

It's pretty much the sad reality of the way video game reviews work these days.

Conduit

Banned
Yes I agree with those points, and I suppose The Order was more hyped at the time and it still bombed. I don't feel anywhere close to the same hype for QB. Hope they do OK though...

The Order wasn't hyped nowhere. It was butchered by media since first showing at E3 2014.

Still getting it regardless of Jeff (who apparently hates everything these days) and his 2/5. I'm sure I'll really enjoy the experience, and then I'll trade the sucker in. Dark Souls 3 is going to consume me anyway.

"Jeff hates everything" a favorite point for people to make when he doesn't like a thing they haven't played.

He literally was just praising the division a few weeks ago.

Genio88

Don't care about reviews, especially Gerstmann ones, this game will be awesome for sure, even Alan Wake got plenty of bad reviews though game was awesome, i loved it, Remedy never miss for me.
Anyway, do we know how long does the game last now? i hope no less than 8 hours and no more than 15 since it looks like it has to played more than one time to figure it out for good

Chobel

Expected mostly 80s for Quantum Break so these reviews are matching with my expectations.

I'm expecting the game to be around where Infamous Second Son and Sunset Overdrive is at (low 80s metacritic) once more reviews come out.

I doubt it, a few more scores aren't gonna change the aggregate of 62 reviews by that much.

I watched a couple hours of one of the previews for Quantum Break and I have to admit I just didn't get it. If it wasn't for my faith in Remedy I'm not sure I'd still be thinking about this.

78 is low enough that for a new IP with a somewhat limited appeal to begin with can kill the entire franchise.

It's pretty much the sad reality of the way video game reviews work these days.

It's reasonable for a $60 product to want to use your money elsewhere, especially when it's a new IP people have no attachment to. New IP faces an uphill battle but as with series like borderlands, witcher, the division, it can pay off big for a publisher for years and years.

Or like the order, watch dogs, or sunset overdrive, it can blow up in your face and cost a ton of money you never get back.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm actually surprised the game is scoring as well as it is. I expected way more of the Gamespot/Giant Bomb critiques.

Top Bottom