• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

BeeDog

In general, feels like all gaming outlets have become much stricter this generation when it comes to review scores. I guess it'll keep rubbing many people the wrong way for quite some time.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Last year they were xbots, now they are sony ponies. They change every generation those damn giantbombers! Soon they will become pc nerds using 3000 dollars on every pc setup and then in the end get fully evolved: iOS and Android gaming fanaticos.

I called them Sony ponies now? I still have the Gears Ultimate review in my mind where they have it 2/5 for literally no reason other than "this is a 9 year old game". Just so nonsensical. So seeing another 2/5 here wasn't surprising.

Kezen

Banned
I'm glad there is apparently still a market for AAA SP experiences, I'm sick of the open world/MP heavy focus.

Those games bring balance.

LiK

I finished this a few days ago. Loved the combat and storytelling but there's not a lot of content in QB. I couldn't download the live action episodes for some reason and stream kept buffering every 10 seconds. I really enjoyed the campaign but the choices don't really matter so there's not a big incentive to play it again. You can replay missions to get all the collectibles though. Was expecting more from Remedy but it's still a fun game.

I trust you. Looking forward to it. Hope I don't get those buffering issues. We can download the cutscenes within the game right?

I sometimes wonder if they played the same game as me. (Yeah. The more famous actor do what they can with the material, but some if the sude characters in the show (that actually get a lot of screen time) are cringe inducing

Probably ;P

I just guess they liked it. It's a weird score compared to what we're getting though. I agree.

I'm assuming the aiming is easy as pie on mouse and keyboard?

Ofcourse. Aiming on pc is always easy.

Ellite25

In general, feels like all gaming outlets have become much stricter this generation when it comes to review scores. I guess it'll keep rubbing many people the wrong way for quite some time.
I agree they have. It's very rare than anything hits the 90's anymore and even when it does it's the low 90s. Quite the change.

nib95

Banned
My review for Angrycentaurgaming. Actually just ACG now.
Rated it a Buy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQ1Y3S1mXA

A good game but not great.

Pros
powers
gunplay powers mix
voiceover work

Cons
gfx presentaion is not very solid. Blurry, odd graphical errors,
bugs

Another excellent and super detailed review. Only thing I didn't catch was anything about how long a play through took you, I also felt the 'Fun Factor' segment splice audio was edited in a bit abruptly. But besides those two things, I think people would be hard pressed to find a more thorough video review.

raven777

Ce8Ip29WwAEhE1F.jpg:large

Raylan

Banned
Kotaku:
The technological trick happening here masks a so-so sci-fi story and a merely solid gunplay.

Time:
Quantum Break Has Great Actors But a Meh Story and Gameplay.

Metro:
Nothing about Quantum Break is bad, but it’s a crude mix of very basic and largely incompatible ingredients. Far from being a disaster it just feels undercooked. Not enough to give you salmonella, but certainly enough to make you wish for something more substantial to get your teeth into.

Yep, just as I thought from the beginning. The game simply didn't look fun. The gunplay looked boring/medicore from the beginning.

GHG

Gold Member
I called them Sony ponies now? I still have the Gears Ultimate review in my mind where they have it 2/5 for literally no reason other than "this is a 9 year old game". Just so nonsensical. So seeing another 2/5 here wasn't surprising.

A lot changes in 9 years. Other than a new shiny coat what changed? That game was the definition of mutton dressed as lamb. Unless you adore the original game and feel the urge to replay it there's not going to be much there for you.

keenest

SA Gamer 8/10

Positives

Time-based powers is a blast to use
The graphics... is this real life?
The humour in the notes and emails
Great use of known actors

Negatives

Remove the live action movies and CG cutscenes and you have a short gameplay session at hand
Junction decisions don't impact the game THAT much
Streaming video footage... meh...

ArmGunar

Whoa.

Need to read some more opinions and reevaluate an early purchase. Seems divisive.

At 20-30$/€, not more !
The game lasts 6 hours max...

Act 1 + Ep 1 = 1h16
Acte 2 + Ep 2 = 1h26
Acte 3 + Ep 3= 1h03
Acte 4+ Ep 4= 1h33

The firsts 4 acts =5h18

The last one has no Episode so about 40-1h left..

Karak

Another excellent and super detailed review. Only thing I didn't catch was anything about how long a play through took you, I also felt the 'Fun Factor' segment splice audio was edited in a bit abruptly. But besides those two things, I think people would be hard pressed to find a more thorough video review.
You rock brother thanks!

Ya thats a bad audio cut. I rarely ever do them but I ended up having my dark bark in the middle of the recording that I never heard lol. Sorry.

As for the length about 9 hours with random gameplay.
The reason I am starting to hedge on that in my reviews is becauseI haven't decided my own personal interaction level in most games.

Things that effect length:
What difficulty?
Walking everywhere?R
Running everywhere?
All collectables?
Some?
Watching every single thing?
Reading every entry?

I am working on some ways to gather all that.
I entered the time in the description thanks as always Nib.

Why are you linking playthroughs of the entire game in a review thread?

Kotaku:
The technological trick happening here masks a so-so sci-fi story and a merely solid gunplay.

Yep, just as I thought from the beginning. The game simply didn't look fun. The gunplay looked boring/medicore from the beginning.
Despite how pedestrian some aspects of the game may be, I concluded Quantum Break feeling like something new had happened. Something special had happened that more than compensated for some of the flatness of the story and the mostly rote gunplay. A game simply never worked like this before, nor has a TV show. Because of that, what might have otherwise been ordinary feels extraordinary.
I dunno. Doesn't sound too bad from Totilo. Sounds intriguing at least according to his view. Not sure if it's $60 worth of intrigue though.

Matt

That's...some really poor logic.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Almost every review praised the multiplayer.

That's not what i'm saying, i'm saying if you hear the name The Last of Us you think great story with believable characters and the best voice acting in any game to date. TLoU didn't need MP to get good reviews.

zsynqx

That's not what i'm saying, i'm saying if you hear the name The Last of Us you think great story with believable characters and the best voice acting in any game to date. TLoU didn't need MP to get good reviews.

I understood what you meant, but the way you phrased it was weird.

Rembrandt

Banned
Kotaku:

lol @ you using that Kotaku post when the final paragraph is

Despite how pedestrian some aspects of the game may be, I concluded Quantum Break feeling like something new had happened. Something special had happened that more than compensated for some of the flatness of the story and the mostly rote gunplay. A game simply never worked like this before, nor has a TV show. Because of that, what might have otherwise been ordinary feels extraordinary.

Less than 10 hours including the cutscenes? That's kind of shocking.

I'll have to eat crow on that one. I was expecting a more meaty game.

Top Bottom