• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

So far this is about what I expected. Nothing about the story and setting grabbed me in previews I saw. The actual gunplay looked decent but seemed spiced up by the powers.

It's disappointing to hear that the TV part seems to be a letdown. I can't stand watching things that feel like a college film project but I also can't willingly skip part of the story.

ekim

Some reviews say the story and acting is shit, others say it's fantastic. Seems to be quite subjective in that case like with movies.

CaVaYeRo

Mine for Gamereactor Spain:

http://www.gamereactor.es/analisis/290243/Quantum+Break/

9/10, just unique, stylish and rad experience, despite flaws. Huge fan of the first Max Payne myself :)

_1722213b.jpg

Freeman76

I expected a 75 MC on this one, and wasn't overly hyped about it, although in the back of my mind there was always a chance it could be a 'must-buy'.

I was more on the fence because I don't rate Remedy like most do, now I can safely wait for this to halve in price, not because of the MC but because a 7-10 hour game with little replay value is not worth £35 to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whelp, this confirms it, I'm completely out of sync with what is "popular" or critically acclaimed. I loved the hell out of Quantum Break and feel it's the best game yet from Remedy.

Yeah, it's short...but so is every other game Remedy has made. It's still much longer than Max Payne 2 (which I finished in one sitting).

Osahi

Less than 10 hours including the cutscenes? That's kind of shocking.

I'll have to eat crow on that one. I was expecting a more meaty game.

It only took my around 7,5 on medium after i gave up on reading every email fast (in a game like this I don't want to stand still and read lots of text every five minutes)

Whelp, this confirms it, I'm completely out of sync with what is "popular" or critically acclaimed. I loved the hell out of Quantum Break and feel it's the best game yet from Remedy.

Yeah, it's short...but so is every other game Remedy has made. It's still much longer than Max Payne 2 (which I finished in one sitting).

Very excited to dive deep into it. Love Max Payne.

TiberusX87

Neo Member
GameCloud 8/10 (my review)

http://gamecloud.net.au/review/quantum-break

"Quantum Break is a game I think a lot of people are going to enjoy as it’s highly innovative as well as visually unique. It also includes great performances from familiar faces, a wealth of interesting ideas and memorable gameplay that is as stylish as it is approachable. Basically, it’s everything needed to satisfy a broad demographic while still engaging more scrutinous players with a compelling science fiction narrative that’s actually based on plausible scientific theory. I have great respect for any developer that tries to do something different, even if it doesn’t always work. And yes, there are some things in Quantum Break that don’t always execute that well, but it’s hardly a deal breaker. Ultimately, it’s a solid game with good replay value, a lot of memorable moments, and is still certainly a must-play for Xbox One/PC owners."

Chobel

Code hasnt gone out yet for it. Speaking of combat. I just can't get enough of it. The visuals and abilities just continue to wow me every session I play.

Damn it! I'm sold on the game, but I really need to know if it does perform well on PC.

Karak

...what lol. There are others that liked it. This isn't a mindsynch

Paz

My taste often mirrors yours so I'm still on the hype train, and if you're right about it being longer than MP2 then I'll have no complaints about length.

Is it as replayable as the MP games? I just love the way Remedy handles action + atmosphere in their games.

prudislav

Surprised to see so many positive reviews ...
most of the sites here in Czech gave it quite low scores (2 biggest sites gave it lowest scores):
  • Hrej.cz 2/5
  • Games.cz 5/10
  • Zing.cz 6/10
  • bonusweb.idnes.cz 70/100
  • Czechgamer.com 85/100
  • konzolista.cz 6/10
  • doupe.cz 6/10
  • xboxweb.cz 9/10

This is good to hear.

My guess is that people itching for a linear third person shooter are going to enjoy the game. I just wish Remedy wouldn't have invested so much effort on the TV portion.

It's a perfect length for the type of game they craft and it's really impressive how they brought this world together via the show, live actors, and time powers. I still prefer Alan Wake as my favorite Remedy game but this one was freaking rad. The visual stuff going on blows my mind.

Ryuuga

Banned
You can run faster than fast, letting you get close for melee takedowns. You can pop a time shield around yourself to block damage and have time to heal. You can... cause a time explosion that... kills enemies? You can flip on time vision to see any objects in the environment that you can pick up and/or read? It feels like the developers just came up with a set of abilities and slapped the word "time" on the front of each one.

Haha I like this bit mostly because this would work in favor of a game that didn't take itself too seriously.

dc89

I hope I'll be able to get this for £20-£25 this week (UK GAF: using sainsburys nectar points during the double up promotion) - I think i'll jump in at that price, but if I can't get it around that price I will be holding off.

Wagram

Still early in the review process, but holy shit at the 75 Metacritic. I did not predict that by a mile. Curious to see more scores pop up.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I loved Alan Wake and I was looking forward to this, but man some of these reviews.. I've had a bad feeling about the FMVs right from the start, what a waste of resources.

Not a day 1 for me anymore.

It feels like an evolution of Max Payne combat-wise, but failed to create an atmosphere like Alan Wake and Max Payne did. For me, it's not their best game simply because of that.

That said, it plays really damn well and is a lot of fun. It's pretty short byt encourages at least two playthroughs to see the effects of all the choices.

But, people are going to focus on the 2's and ignore the 7 and 8's, that's how it goes.

Granjinha

Can't wait for this. I loved the hell out of every Remedy game and i'm sure this will be the same.

Really excited after the ACG review saying that it is quite similar in structure to Alan Wake, too.

Yep, just as I thought from the beginning. The game simply didn't look fun. The gunplay looked boring/medicore from the beginning.

really? i mean, the reviews saying good things don't matter, right?

jesus at some people in this thread

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Love short single player games.

My backlog grows by the month so a short sharp games is exactly what I want. Playing through Alien Isolation and I'm enjoying the game length there too.

MacBosse

One stitting? My man.

Alienfan

Some reviews say the story and acting is shit, others say it's fantastic. Seems to be quite subjective in that case like with movies.

Yeah interesting point. Even some of the best movies you often find 20% of critics didn't enjoy it - with such a big portion of Quantum Break being live action, I'm not surprised the reviews are so divisive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My taste often mirrors yours so I'm still on the hype train, and if you're right about it being longer than MP2 then I'll have no complaints about length.

Is it as replayable as the MP games? I just love the way Remedy handles action + atmosphere in their games.
I had to replay it many many times for the DF video and I enjoyed it more as I became more proficient. I just wish you could use ALL powers all the time once you've earned them.

Top Bottom