• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

Peterpan

Still early in the review process, but holy shit at the 75 Metacritic. I did not predict that by a mile. Curious to see more scores pop up.
The scores seem to be getting more positive. Changing my prediction from a mid 80 to low 80 and high 70.

Wasn't expecting the huge difference of opinions. I predicted a meta of 90+.
I will still be there day one. There are a few developers who could release games scoring 50 and I would still preorder. Remedy is one of those devs.

Mine for Gamereactor Spain:

http://www.gamereactor.es/analisis/290243/Quantum+Break/

9/10, just unique, stylish and rad experience, despite flaws. Huge fan of the first Max Payne myself :)

_1722213b.jpg

Gracias for the review amigo ;)

Preorder
maintained

Karak

Can't wait for this. I loved the hell out of every Remedy game and i'm sure this will be the same.

Really excited after the ACG review saying that it is quite similar in structure to Alan Wake, too.

really? i mean, the reviews saying good things don't matter, right?

jesus at some people in this thread

Glad you liked it. Ya its hilarious how many structural simularities there are like i mentioned. Its pretty crazy in that way at least.

Ellite25

I wasn't super hyped for this game to begin with so since it's getting decent reviews I'll probably hold off until it's on sale, especially with DS3 coming out the following week and considering I just bought The Show. I wonder if MS will have frequent sales in the Windows 10 store since I'll prefer to play it on PC.

The more reviews that come in the more likely the aggregate score will be lower unfortunately. As long as I can skip cut scenes, I'm in.

ReaperXL7

It's interesting over the past year watching game reviews become so polarizing. More or less over the years I realized that generally if a big game came out and a few big outlets were giving it high scores that it was going to get high scores from most. I think over the past year we have seen a greater divide (which is likely due to a larger number of critics) in what different sites and personalities are giving games.

This is an example along with the Division and a number of other games in my opinion that game critics are becoming more diverse and more willing to share those differing thoughts more openly which is a positive. I can usually tell if I'm going to like a game or not on my own by watching a few videos or trying a Beta/Demo and Quantum Break never really appealed to me but I can see where it might catch the interest of others.

Karak

I do have to say I really hope they clean up the tech they used. The image quality while playing at times can look like a shimmering mess but overall its a sound design just needs a higher res sample.

ron_bato

Genuinely surprised at the range of scores. But if you like remedy, you should enjoy the hell out of this

I honestly saw this coming, as linear third person games have a bit of an uphill climb in terms of getting universal critical acclaim these days.

But either way, as a long time Remedy fan, I'm all in and pretty excited! Alan wake was among my favorites last gen, and the MP games are among my favorite TPS games of all time.

Oh, for people picking up the game next week: if you want to start a replay and maintain your upgrades, do it via the Timeline in the main menu. Choosing New Game wipes your previous save, including upgrades and collectibles.

Just an FYI.

PaulloDEC

I see no problem here. Lots of people loved it, lots of people thought it was alright, a few people thought it was sub-par. It's a divisive game.

I've loved all of Remedy's past work, so odds are I'll be with the 8-10/10 people.

Karak

Great review. Really answered a lot of my questions.

Seems like a game that I will pick up on a sale to just experience the atmosphere and world.

Thanks.
This is one of those games where replaying it at least is somewhat useful compared to others that pretend it is. So it adds a bit of value and as I said in the review those changes adjust the subtle elements underneath choices which is VERY cool.

Please hold me. Look, I haven't played the game, and it's more than possible it deserves this kind of treatment the reviewers are giving it, but honestly my emotional reaction to this situation is as follows:

"Dear game designers:

Please don't try anything too narrative-driven in your AAA games. And if you do, for the love of god, don't make it the centerpiece differentiator of your game. Because if you do, and your basic gameplay mechanics happen to be only okay, we are going to FUCKING MAKE YOU PAY with some damned-mediocre scores. Do you really want that? I didn't think so.

Want a guaranteed 80? Take an 80+ game and spruce up the graphics. Like inFamous or Halo.

Love,

-reviewers"

Disclaimer: It is an emotional reaction, not a rational one. Please don't take this as super-whiny defensive Remedy fanboy mode. In my defense I'm on serious painkillers right now.

ethomaz

Banned
I do have to say I really hope they clean up the tech they used. The image quality while playing at times can look like a shimmering mess but overall its a sound design just needs a higher res sample.
That what I'm afraid with some devs this gen... the lack of horse power on consoles make them waste a lot of time creating new techs to show his vision instead to really focus in the game.

The first gen where the consoles were not high-end.

And now we will see upgrades machines to try to fix this early mistake with PS4k and Xbox One 1.5.

I want to see QB with a sharper and native high resolution on PC.

Paz

I had to replay it many many times for the DF video and I enjoyed it more as I became more proficient. I just wish you could use ALL powers all the time once you've earned them.

Maybe they'll add in some modes that let you do that later on, my hype level just increased significantly after your comments.

EXCITE, hope the PC version is good.

The live tv stuff shouldn't have existed

Wasted resources imo and why I was wary of this game. Not that I'm saying its bad but it could have been greater without it.

Yeah, the dfferent outcomes are kinda cool. One choice has people posing for selfies with Monarch personnel later in the game, the othee has them throwing molotov cocktails.

Karak

That what I'm afraid with some devs this gen... the lack of horse power on cosines make them waste a lot of time creating new techs to show his vision instead to really focus in the game.

And now we will see upgrades machines to try to fix this early mistake with PS4k and Xbox One 1.5.

I adore more with less and I am sure they tried other sample sizes but...I wish they tried some more lol

Got to say though the audio work is spectacular especially all the time sampling, reverb and echo stretching. VERY cool

zsynqx

Please hold me. Look, I haven't played the game, and it's more than possible it deserves this kind of treatment the reviewers are giving it, but honestly my emotional reaction to this situation is as follows:

"Dear game designers:

Please don't try anything too narrative-driven in your AAA games. And if you do, for the love of god, don't make it the centerpiece differentiator of your game. Because if you do, and your basic gameplay mechanics happen to be only okay, we are going to FUCKING MAKE YOU PAY with some damned-mediocre scores. Do you really want that? I didn't think so.

Want a guaranteed 80? Take an 80+ game and spruce up the graphics. Like inFamous or Halo.

Love,

-reviewers"

Disclaimer: It is an emotional reaction, not a rational one. Please don't take this as super-whiny defensive Remedy fanboy mode. In my defense I'm on serious painkillers right now.

I don't really understand what you mean?

roytheone

And there it is. This is the going to be the thing that is most discussed in this thread now.

This guy should stop playing videogames. Go race classic cars or something ffs.

Ah yes, the good old "reviewer has different opinion than me so should stop reviewing games". That's such a dumb attitude to have.

That what I'm afraid with some devs this gen... the lack of horse power on consoles make them waste a lot of time creating new techs to show his vision instead to really focus in the game.

I want to see QB with a sharper and native high resolution on PC.

Lack of horsepower? Alan Wake was 540p. Probably the lowest resolution game released on the 360, which had a GPU with advanced feature set ahead of PC's when it was released.

This is Remedy. They push as much effects at the lowest resolution possible. The image quality wasn't going to be good regardless.

Top Bottom