• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

Alienfan

Quantum Break |OT| Where Waves Are Both Wilder And More Serene

kgqUsI0.png

Didn't understand it at first, but after reading the explanations, I think this has to be the title! :)

(I know it's AW but) "Wilder" makes me think Billy Wilder, which as far as I can't remember isn't someone whose work is directly referenced in a Remedy game, but it's the kind of thing that would absolutely fit in one.

Gears

So, if a friend of mine buys digitally on Xbox, can I get it for PC on my account? We're seeing if we can go halfsies on it

So, if a friend of mine buys digitally on Xbox, can I get it for PC on my account? We're seeing if we can go halfsies on it

Everything that's been said for far seems to point to the Win10 freebie being a redeemable code. I wouldn't give money until it's 100% confirmed though.

Azzanadra

I want to get this just for the TV-show aspect, seeing Aiden Gillian and Lance Reddick together again ignited my Wire fanboyism.

Dicktatorship

People pay attention to Gerstmann reviews lol?

Anyway, biggest concern is that I feel like I'm going be jumping through so many hoops just to get back to the gameplay. I heard one review mention that they wish some form of challenge mode had been included, and that's what I feel will be sorely missing. A quick way to jump in and enjoy combat.

Karak, any thoughts on that issue?

I doubt Jeff even reads Jeff's reviews. I always looked at Giantbomb's reviews as formalities since every big game website has to have them.

tomedo

Started downloading Alan Wake PC while waiting for QB launch. I haven't played it with developer commentary yet so that will be new.

bj00rn_

Banned
I've always appreciated Gerstmann's presence in the scene, but I often rhetorically wonder if anyone has actually seen him truly enjoy a game.

vcc

I've always appreciated Gerstmann's presence in the scene, but I often rhetorically wonder if anyone has actually seen him truly enjoy a game.

About once a week.

He is a gameplay oriented player. So a game with servicable gameplay and a heavy story focus problably bored him. Remedy tends to make those sorts of games.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Gerstmann narrative developing in this thread is genuinely pathetic.

When the man is genuinely giddy about certain games nobody gives a damn but when he dares to have a negative opinion about the videogame you're hyped for he's suddenly this jaded and disinterested individual that should stop reviewing games.
The game obviously missed the mark with Jeff. Read the review and weigh it however you want, but the personal attacks coming from people who are obviously over-invested in the game before even playing it are just sad. Take a step back and look at what you're saying here.

derFeef

Finally watched the Easy Allies review. Man I am so hyped. Maybe I will save the TV show for afterwards and just enjoy the game first.

GRaider81

When the man is genuinely giddy about certain games nobody gives a damn but when he dares to have a negative opinion about the videogame you're hyped for he's suddenly this jaded and disinterested individual that should stop reviewing games.
The game obviously missed the mark with Jeff. Read the review and weigh it however you want, but the personal attacks coming from people who are obviously over-invested in the game before even playing it are just sad. Take a step back and look at what you're saying here.

Totally agree.

Jeff doesn't like game I like (and in most cases havent even played yet) = Jeff is jaded and hates all games

MicSte79

Neo Member
People dont seem to bother it with MGS tho.

I personally find the MGS cut scenes annoying.

But some will argue MGS has interesting lore which is vital to how the games unfold. Quantum Break is more of an 'epic one off' rather than the start of a series of games isn't it?

nib95

Banned
People dont seem to bother it with MGS tho.

I don't agree with the implication of the poster you're responding to, but MGS is one of the most gameplay centric titles out there. It having fairly long cut scenes from time to time doesn't change that.

Theorry

MGS was just one example tho. I have a feeling there is "hate" towards the live action because we are not used to it. If it were just normal cutscenes i think alot more people would have been fine with it.

kpaadet

MGS was just one example tho. I have a feeling there is "hate" towards the live action because we are not used to it. If it were just normal cutscenes i think alot more people would have been fine with it.
If you think everybody would be completely fine with 25 min cutscenes I'm not sure what to tell you.

leeh

That is sad, no matter someone's opinion, they shouldn't be personally attacked.

oti

Banned
Just finished it. Cool game.

What did you think of the enemy variety? Do they bring a nice level of challenge?

The problem is they don't really add anything to the combat, they just take away your abilities. And the combat without the abilities is just ok. What the game wants you to do is to use the countless red barrels to your advantage.

But you can totally come up with strategies on how to clear a room.

nib95

Banned

I think that's more to do with the live action scenes themselves, and the sheer length of them. Having watched the entire first episode already, they do definitely drag on, and seem a bit hit and miss in places. At least with normal cutscenes, they're usually only a few minutes long and more integral to the players main story. In QB the live action episodes are sort of like a separate, 22 minute long digression that covers an alternate plot point, or at least a different angle of unfolding events, so it can be little more removed and jarring. I can see why not everyone would have gelled to it.

oti

Banned
Ouch.

It's a nice idea I guess but if I want a tv show, I open up Netflix and stream House of Cards.

When I want to play video games, I want to, you know, play.

Or, hear me out, you could try something new! Crazy, I know.

I really enjoyed the episodes and I wish they would do another Alan Wake in this format.

Genio88

I hope they'll start sending the preorder PC codes this tuesday already, i really want to play it on PC from start to finish, though i know i won't resist to start it on Xbox One having it already installed and ready to go...

SlickVic

Ouch.

It's a nice idea I guess but if I want a tv show, I open up Netflix and stream House of Cards.

When I want to play video games, I want to, you know, play.

Well that image is essentially cherry picking all the negative reviews, possibly to play counter to another image floating around cherry picking all the positive review. The negative quote from Kotaku to imply they didn't care much for the game, but reading the review, they actually liked it quite a bit despite the flaws, and had high praise for the live action bits and how they are affected by player actions.

Top Bottom