• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

RoKKeR

More divisive than I was anticipating, but that's what reviews are for! Look forward to playing it when I return this summer, and will hopefully find it on a bit of a discount.

nib95

Banned
You rock brother thanks!

Ya thats a bad audio cut. I rarely ever do them but I ended up having my dark bark in the middle of the recording that I never heard lol. Sorry.

As for the length about 9 hours with random gameplay.
The reason I am starting to hedge on that in my reviews is becauseI haven't decided my own personal interaction level in most games.

Things that effect length:
What difficulty?
Walking everywhere?R
Running everywhere?
All collectables?
Some?
Watching every single thing?
Reading every entry?

I am working on some ways to gather all that.
I entered the time in the description thanks as always Nib.

Awesome dude. What difficulty would you recommend for the first play through?

Side note, similar to your own prediction, I did suspect the game would be somewhat divisive, but I personally have a particular liking to third person story based shooters, especially one as enigmatic as this one, what with all the time powers and live action stuff. I'm looking forward to playing it.

dreamfall

In. MY. VEINS.

Remedy, we waited a long time! Love the diversity in scores, can't wait to settle down and get lost in it properly!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Genuinely surprised by the score, the game looks great. I guess it's not as good when you actually play it :/

valkyre

Boy this gen is really shitty when it comes to exclusive games of either XBox1 and PS4...

Compared to PS360 era the 1st party material is (generally) below expectations...

Not that QB looks bad, but yeah, like a lot of people I really do get the feeling that neither XB1 nor PS4 can match their old brothers quality of exclusives...

Theorry

Boy this gen is really shitty when it comes to exclusive games of either XBox1 and PS4...

Compared to PS360 era the 1st party material is (generally) below expectations...

Not that QB looks bad, but yeah, like a lot of people I really do get the feeling that neither XB1 nor PS4 can match their old brothers quality of exclusives...

Not really. This gen reviews are way stricter.

Karak

Awesome dude. What difficulty would you recommend for the first play through?

Side note, similar to your own prediction, I did suspect the game would be slightly divisive, but I love a good linear third person story based shooter, especially one as enigmatic as this one, what with all the time powers and live action stuff. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Highest you can.

ya you know how it is. These games just inherently are as they usually funnel you through a narrative cycle that other less linear games don't.

Seems a divisive game overall?

I'd definitely plan on playing this at some point if I had an XB1 or capable PC, it looks pretty cool.
The live action though...never really liked the look of that in previews :/

aravuus

Surprisingly divisive. I was definitely expecting a 85 metascore.

Think I'm gonna wait a couple of days at least and hear others impressions on the game. Super intrigued about the story and gameplay looks like solid fun too, but it's hard to justify paying 60 euros for a <10 hour SP game right now.

IvanJ

Banned
Not really surprised by the variety in review scores. I think that this game needed a much better average to succeed, I expect it to fade from the charts and from memory very quickly.
And at the end settle around 70 average. (I have a feeling there are more 2/5 scores coming).

Aters

I expected higher.
Damn, I swear from now on I will only predict Japanese games' scores. I'm usually better at that (except the cases of FE awakening and Trails of Cold Steel).

Would've been the easiest 9 for me this year if it wasn't for the streaming/download size requirements on the X1 and PC. It's not exactly user friendly to be honest.

As someone who's beaten the game nearly two times: you'll probably only watch the episodes once. Just stream them and then skip 'em the next time. They're really not that interesting.

Seems to be more mixed than I would have expexted. Still gonna play it. But suprised after jim sterlings praise for it. But onenof my favorite games from last year until dawn, also got mixed reviews so not to worried.

I don't really understand what you mean?

I've read a few of the reviews, and my emotional reaction to them is that:

The reviewers feel that while the game tries something interesting and new with the gameplay-affects-TV-show narrative trick, the game is ultimately let down by mediocre mechanics and level design in its basic gameplay. This led to reviewers giving the game some mediocre scores.

The Kotaku review maybe states this the clearest.

What worries me about that is that it will stop AAA devs from risking a high budget on a game that focuses on narrative, such as this one. On the other hand, taking a narratively OK-ish game like Halo or inFamous and then, for the sequel, just sprucing up the graphics and adding more and more "content" -- while ensuring top-notch mechanics -- will at least get you into the reasonably high-scoring 80+ range.

I basically worry that the Quantum Break saga will lead to games like QB not even being attempted anymore.

Disclaimer 1: Still on painkillers.

Disclaimer 2: Very possible the game just isn't all that fun to play, in which case I can't really blame reviewers from scoring it that way.

EDIT: P.S. However, indie games get a pass on the gameplay-mechanics-suck-but-narrative-rules setup. E.g., Walking Dead; Gone Home.

This is sure divisive. The sci-fi channel comparisons about the TV show are not exactly putting me off since I wasn't expecting HBO quality TV but I hope it's not boring.
I called them Sony ponies now? I still have the Gears Ultimate review in my mind where they have it 2/5 for literally no reason other than "this is a 9 year old game". Just so nonsensical. So seeing another 2/5 here wasn't surprising.

It's a fair score. Ultimate Edition is a pretty bare bones HD port that's missing some essential content like horde mode. It just all depends on how much you prefer the original Gears over it's sequels which Jeff loved Gears 3.

Decent reviews overall, but some of the lower ones have me concerned for the gameplay. I know I will enjoy this though regardless, I like linear single-player games.

Matt

RedRedSuit said:
What worries me about that is that it will stop AAA (note indie) devs from risking a high budget on a game that focuses on narrative, such as this one. On the other hand, taking a narratively OK-ish game like Halo or inFamous and then, for the sequel, just sprucing up the graphics and adding more and more "content" -- while ensuring top-notch mechanics -- will at least get you into the reasonably high-scoring 80+ range.

I think the lesson is more like, if you are going to focus on the story and presentation, make them good. "Effort" is not the same thing as "quality."

sTiTcH AU

It's a fair score. Ultimate Edition is a pretty bare bones HD port that's missing some essential content like horde mode.

But Gears 1 didn't have a horde mode.

The reviews seem mostly positive, although Gamespot giving the game a 6 is surprising. I am really looking forward to playing it in Tuesday.

madmackem

Bit worried about the talk of mundane gameplay, watching vids it give the impression it wasn't doing much of anything different but your standard tps, still looking forward to it as Alan wake and max Payne are two of my fav games.

Top Bottom