• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2016 |OT| Ramadan is over, now EID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

What kind of sugar and junk are you consuming during this month?

I always find Ramadan to be the easiest month to improve my nutrition intake and the kind of food I eat; however, and sorry if this is too TMI, but I'm always constipated regardless of how much fibre I eat during this month lol.
Its the only month I live on junk food and sweet drinks and no exercise

kavanf1

I'm not Muslim but had to pop in to the thread to mention how great this thread title is. I shared it with a couple of Muslim guys at work doing Ramadan, it cracked them up.

Kickz

2 work eating functions coming up this week and next week. Should I skip them and just say I am observing a fast when asked why I am not in the cafeteria, or just take those days off?

I dont know if anyone in here has done it but I am reading online how although people are in the midst of fasting, they are still donating blood and driving out to stand in the hot sun to donate water + food. I just want to say I truly admire that so much even if no one in here has possibly done it. I still see you guys posting about it and donating and it means a lot.

I grew up in Orlando and to see people doing so much for my hometown , despite fasting even, is really something special.

2 work eating functions coming up this week and next week. Should I skip them and just say I am observing a fast when asked why I am not in the cafeteria, or just take those days off?

They already know you're Muslim right? I would just skip them, no point wasting holiday days on that tbh. You can do your own thing during the time in which they're eating! :)

Kickz

They already know you're Muslim right? I would just skip them, no point wasting holiday days on that tbh. You can do your own thing during the time in which they're eating! :)

Thanks, I think you are right, no need to burn vacation time. And they know I am Muslim, just Ramadan has not come up in conversation yet.

Zapages

I forgot to place my cell phone upside down so the speaker would be up... I couldn't hear the alarm and whenI woke up the sun was already up. I was like oh shucks today is going to be ultra hard mode today...

Although I do feel more energetic compared to before and it doesn't feel that bad for now. :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I swear ...

- have less sehri (breakfast) so stomach doesn't get bloated.
- hungry all day.
- time for opening ramzan.
- suddenly not hungry at all after 1 pakora only.

Zapages

I swear ...

- have less sehri (breakfast) so stomach doesn't get bloated.
- hungry all day.
- time for opening ramzan.
- suddenly not hungry at all after 1 pakora only.

The reason is our body's metabolism is adjusting and breaking down fats...

I felt really hungry around 6:30 and 7 pm... But now I am fine. :)

because lychee mochi is the best thing everrrrr

Dude

I need this. Where do I find this

Dunno. Only get that stuff at Ramadan in our house.

Lychee has an abundant amount of sugar, and excess sugar can make you fat essentially (oversimplifying).

You guys ever eat these?

515Jp93e6wL._AC_UL320_SR184,320_.jpg

We used to eat them at home all the time. I would sit with the box while watching a show and by the time the episode finished, half the box would be empty.

Its crack. We banned them from the household because it was really hard to put down.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Dude

You guys ever eat these?

We used to eat them at home all the time. I would sit with the box while watching a show and by the time the episode finished, half the box would be empty.

Its crack. We banned them from the household because it was really hard to put down.

If you froze them they become more awesome

N.Domixis

Banned
Dude

You guys ever eat these?

hnnnnnnng these things are so good.

First day of fast after coming back to US. It was brutal. Kept falling asleep at work so left early and drove while barely awake, and then passed out. Being jetlagged, sleep deprived, thirsty, tired and hungry while fasting at work makes for a CRUSHING mode.

Sch1sm

Today's been a bit rough because I restarted. Got sick Monday
(stuck through my fast because I was chucking everything up anyway gg)
, and now I'm just staring at the clock. Less than an hour, at least.

Hope everyone's holding up decently this far in.

Also, RustyNails, stay safe. Yeesh. Sounds dangerous.

last night i went out with a bunch of coworkers friends to a bar and another bar. alcohol all around but i had to just wait a whole hour and a half to drink water, then when we finally got food they were so happy for me lol

It depends on your school of thought. Generally concessions are made to those who are travellers, they can shorten their prayers for example. I mean a 2 hour train ride isn't incredibly taxing,there's a lot of variables imo, you need to ask a scholar or imam about this.
Also, AFAIK(I'm not a scholar or anything) you have to prepare yourself for travel, a train ride home you make everyday wouldn't fall into this, some scholars use a certain distance which I can't remember. Even with travellers, if it's doable they can fast if they wish AFAIK.
Also, any fasts skipped due to illness or the impracticality of fasting have to made up as always.
suggest you speak to your imam about religious matters rather than get advice online, there's different schools of thought, people bring culture into religion(and don't know the difference due to these teachings being passed on for generations).
EDIT-
I'm not sure if I belong to any school of thought in particular. i'm pretty loose about all this stuff nowadays. i ride the subways every day home but every friday, i take a metro north home which is 2 hours. that's every week, but not every day.

Here's some links(from the first page of google,these are websites I know of), consult an imam if you think you classify as a traveller, it's better to be cautious when skipping acts of worship rather than going for whatever is easier for you:

https://islamqa.info/en/20165
http://en.islamtoday.net/quesshow-57-1785.htm
http://www.islamweb.net/eramadan/articles/159751/fasting-and-breaking-fast-while-traveling

From these links, I can see the general consencus is, if you can fast, fast as it rids of your duty to fast. One even says since you don't know how long you will be alive for, it is better to fulfill your duty.

I think the rule is there to protect the devout worshippers who would attempt to fast a large amount of time, whilst being exhausted thus damaging their health. This is a matter of fiqh & is based on Hadith - so again consult your imam.
thanks, i'll check the links out but...i don't know if i'd go consult "my" imam about this stuff...that be kinda weird. the imam that was in my local masjid back home that i grew used to growing up left for texas so we got a new one a few years back, which is fine but i can't really see myself talking to him.
That's different. If it's something you do consistently for work it doesn't break. But say you had to travel a long distance for something you don't do often like a sudden business trip then you're excused for that day. You still have to make up for it later, though.
i do this every week. every friday and every sunday/monday. for the duration of the week i'm on the subway but at the end i'm on a 2 hour trip home.
I think Getdigitized posted supporting links, but thats as far I know on the subject.
yeah he posted a lot, that was nice of him.

last night i went out with a bunch of coworkers friends to a bar and another bar. alcohol all around but i had to just wait a whole hour and a half to drink water, then when we finally got food they were so happy for me lol

I'm not sure if I belong to any school of thought in particular. i'm pretty loose about all this stuff nowadays. i ride the subways every day home but every friday, i take a metro north home which is 2 hours. that's every week, but not every day.

thanks, i'll check the links out but...i don't know if i'd go consult "my" imam about this stuff...that be kinda weird. the imam that was in my local masjid back home that i grew used to growing up left for texas so we got a new one a few years back, which is fine but i can't really see myself talking to him.

i do this every week. every friday and every sunday/monday. for the duration of the week i'm on the subway but at the end i'm on a 2 hour trip home.
yeah he posted a lot, that was nice of him.

Well you should get acquainted with an imam, you don't need to know them to ask them these questions. Anyways, I wouldn't say you fall into the category of a traveller, be honest to yourself, does the train journey really make it difficult to fast?

Well you should get acquainted with an imam, you don't need to know them to ask them these questions. Anyways, I wouldn't say you fall into the category of a traveller, be honest to yourself, does the train journey really make it difficult to fast?
it doesn't make things any easier but i'm not interested in excuses for myself. i want to do the full 30 and get this month over with.

Septic360

Banned
I have lost 5KG already. All my gym gains...losing them p_p

Well I'm gonna try and train at midnight tomorrow. I need to not lose all muscle mass but that seems like an exercise in futility atm.

I couldn't fast a few days this past week. I've been struggling real bad and falling behind at work, and since my reviews are coming up I didn't want to compromise my performance. I feel horrible making such a selfish decision but I intend to make it up on weekends going forward.

Fasting also messed up my sleep too so between the lack of caffeine plus poor sleep, getting any creative work done has been soul crushing. I even got over the hunger and thirst but I haven't been able to conquer the mental fog. Sigh.

I do not know what that is, but judging from your description, I will stay far away from that thing XD

Get a jar and experience this goodness. Do it!

Love eating lychee. The only downsides are having to peal them and getting your hands all sticky.

Thats true. I dont mind it though. Whenever I eat lychee, its lychee time and I dont do anything else.

I couldn't fast a few days this past week. I've been struggling real bad and falling behind at work, and since my reviews are coming up I didn't want to compromise my performance. I feel horrible making such a selfish decision but I intend to make it up on weekends going forward.

Fasting also messed up my sleep too so between the lack of caffeine plus poor sleep, getting any creative work done has been soul crushing. I even got over the hunger and thirst but I haven't been able to conquer the mental fog. Sigh.

Get a jar and experience this goodness. Do it!

Thats true. I dont mind it though. Whenever I eat lychee, its lychee time and I dont do anything else.

You can always make up those days during shawwal. I believe my brother who is a transplant surgeon doesnt fast when he has to perform surgery.

Anion

I remember last Ramadan I gained weight lol

I think my body just needs me to run to maintain or lose cause my metabolism is just flat out slow

So this year, I try to squeeze in 20mins of running between margrib and isha, since the musjid is like 25 mins away for Taraweh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom