• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2016 |OT| Ramadan is over, now EID!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to some Persian girls at a party this week, one of which was a practising Muslim, while the other was not. They said that according to Shia leaders, they have to follow the time-of-day where they are located (whereas Arabian muslims can follow time-of-day in Mecca regardless of their current location), even though the night can be very short this time of year in Scandinavia. At its worst, they would only be allowed to eat and drink at all during a one to two hour period. If they had been even further north, they wouldn't have been allowed to eat at all, due to midnight sun. That sounds awful.

The practising Muslim girl told me that her father used to take a train trip everyday to go over some arbitrary distance (it was actually a surprisingly short distance something like 30 km) to be considered to be travelling, which would trigger some kind of exception.

Why is Tails jewish

who knows

it seems it is some 4chan/Reddit stuff

652dd0e4939c7f3cc82ebc7619d1f4353728eb84aa2b798a56bc014a1fbfaadf_1.jpg

Sch1sm

I spoke to some Persian girls at a party this week, one of which was a practising Muslim, while the other was not. They said that according to Shia leaders, they have to follow the time-of-day where they are located (whereas Arabian muslims can follow time-of-day in Mecca regardless of their current location), even though the night can be very short this time of year in Scandinavia. At its worst, they would only be allowed to eat and drink at all during a one to two hour period. If they had been even further north, they wouldn't have been allowed to eat at all, due to midnight sun. That sounds awful.

The practising Muslim girl told me that her father used to take a train trip everyday to go over some arbitrary distance (it was actually a surprisingly short distance something like 3 km) to be considered to be travelling, which would trigger some kind of exception.

That's not limited to Shias. Those so far north the time between iftar and suhoor go by Mecca's time. It has to be 18+ hours. Not approved by everyone, though, so. Depends where you look. Saudi says nope.

Second, the travelling thing is incorrect. It's not only 3km. It's 80km or so, according to most scholars. Either way, he's got to make up his days after the month has ended. There's no escaping fasting.

Do people usually loose weight during ramadan? Just curious

Lose or gain weight. It's pretty strange, but it comes down to how people fast and eat when they aren't fasting.

Some people load up during suhoor (morning), iiftar (night), or throughout the night for the more nocturnal people. This occasionally comes with resting more/being more inactive during the day, although this probably wouldn't be the case for most of the people on GAF (schedules still have everyone working). Iftar in general though is spent in some sort of gathering, whether with your family, friends, or community.

Personally, I can't say I haven't done fasts where I had been awake the night before, snacking, ate suhoor, and slept till late in the day, but in general I probably lose weight during Ramadan. Personally it comes down to:

1) Don't necessarily feel like something heavy int he morning, or eating much at all, for some mornings. Typically just get a glass of water and fruit/croissant, etc.

2) I'm not sure if this is just me, but I find that my desire for food peaks a while before iftar. If say, I lived further north and this Ramadan was closer to the winter, I would probably eat more for iftar, but by the time I get to iftar, I don't even have the capacity to eat that much.

That being said, I have much shorter fasts this year than most of you. 5:00 - 8:35. And with Finals done, I'm also going to likely be more inactive than most here. May Allah gives the rest of you patience for your fasts.

orochi91

My weight remains relatively the same throughout Ramadan, but it's the sleeping habits that get wrecked. I'll be sure to take better care of sleeping properly this time because last couple years were crazy.

Going for that full month fasting, no missing days this time!

steamingsarcasm

Neo Member
Ramadan Kareem! Kul 'am wa antum bi khayr
كل عام وانتوا بخير ومبارك عليكم الشهر

God this month came by so fast for me that I didn't have time to properly adjust my stomach (very srs) so RIP for the first couple of days. Will be my first time in a long while where I go to work during the month so this will be fun.

jm89

I snack all day at work gonna be hard to let go of that habit :(

The weather in the UK looks a lot cooler than last year so thirst shouldn't hopefully as big a issue as it was last year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ramadan Kareem GAF, this will be my first Ramadan after moving to the US, and omg the timings are way higher then my native country.

ZiZ

People forget that the main point of fasting isn't just abstaining from eating and drinking, but also abstaining from all bad deeds. Be polite, give to the poor, hold your temper (not easy when you're hungry).

No one's going to tell you with that username.

Why not? He isn't asking us to eat him.

Muslims, don't think pigs are unholy or evil. Just not appropriate to eat them.

The practising Muslim girl told me that her father used to take a train trip everyday to go over some arbitrary distance (it was actually a surprisingly short distance something like 3 km) to be considered to be travelling, which would trigger some kind of exception.

People in midnight sun locations have the option to go to the nearest place with civilization's times, but this would still likely be 20+ hours. I think a few leaders may have put a cap of some sort, but yeah, the majority I think would need to do the 20+ hours. The closest sort of exception for it is that you aren't supposed to fast should it become physically unbearable (can make it up at another time), but asides from that, the dominant ruling is to fast if you physically can

Googled "shia marja 23 hour fasts" to check the results out, they pretty much confirmed what I remembered about it

Huffington Post did a Suhoor ideas/recipes to keep one energized through out the day

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/28/easy-ramadan-recipes_n_7625990.html

And also some Iftaar ones too but the Suhoor ones are really great for those that want some tips

Here is another one by BuzzFeed
https://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/foo...ampaign=buffer&utm_term=.tiO2yOPg3#.wqvj3Xqnw

I mean if you probably eat the stuff listed in those links for Suhoor then you would likely feel nothing through out the day

Thats brutal lol.

As usual I'm more worried about water than food. Should I eat an entire watermelon for suhoor so I'm hydrated throughout the day? NYC summers are the *worst*.

Set a standard for 2-4 full (large) glasses of water every suhoor. And I mean this for EVERY suhoor. If you're going to sleep late and might wake up after suhoor ends, drink this before hand. If you're not very hungry that morning, or running out of time, focus on this goal.

Make it a mandatory thing, regardless of whether you feel like it or not. Or even sleep with a glass of water by your bedside, in case of a VERY rushed suhoor (that, and a fruit, like a banana, are good backups for those situations)

Thirst is much harder to deal with than hunger, and if you're fasting in hot places or for very long, staying hydrated is key for your health.

Metaroo

Ramadan Kareem GAF!!

A new Masjid opened nearby recently. Hoping thats gonna encourage me to hit up Taraweeh every night this Summer, Inshallah.

T-Rex.

Banned
It's not the food or water that's the tough part for me, it's everything else. Even just checking Twitter is like playing Russian roulette cos you never know what will get retweeted onto your TL. I always make sure to turn all that jazz off during Ramadan.

It's not the food or water that's the tough part for me, it's everything else. Even just checking Twitter is like playing Russian roulette cos you never know what will get retweeted onto your TL. I always make sure to turn all that jazz off during Ramadan.
Just don't use twitter for a month!

Or at least when you're fasting.

Sch1sm

A whole month fasting?

What do you guys usually eat, something very light?

Varies. I eat light. Some have full meals before fasting begins, like near dinner-tier. Others stay up through the night and eat (which is what I do when I'm in Toronto, but I'm not this year).

Yo have they officially announced Ramadan in Amriki land?
on Friday I
smoked a little bit and
saw a brother with a wife & kids on the subway, I ran up to him and asked him when ramadan was, he said it could be Monday or Tuesday.

However my local masjid back home has basically declared it to be Monday.
stealthbrag
if it makes you feel any better i'm worse now. I could use a weightloss.

Ramadan kareem!
I want to say I'm ready, but in all probability I'd be asleep for most of the first day. Not that I have much to do, with exams over.
I'm making it my resolution to start praying 5 times a day every day, instead of combining zuhur+asharr and maghrib+isya like I uaually do.

It's not just that people eat a lot, it's that they eat a lot at once and do almost nothing all day, or at least that's how it is where I live :p

This sounds about right, in my experience.

hemo memo

Gold Member
رمضان كريم لكم جميعا :)
Ramadan Kareem for you all

ASIS

مبارك عليكم الشهر...❤
أعاننا الله وإيّاكم على صيامه وقيامه ، وأعادهُ الله علينا وعليكم أعواماً عديدة
وكل عام وأنتم بخير...🌹

Ramadan Kareem everyone❤️❤️❤️❤️

For some reason I am extra happy this Ramadan, I hope all of you find such happiness in your lives!

Last year I lost over a stone. Hated being 13 stone + after working a year and a bit in an office that was near some of the best takeaways there was on that city. Switched jobs and moved away from the takeaways.

Fasting, eating sensibly after the fast was opened + yoga does fucking wonders for losing weight.

For those who are fasting, PLEASE FUCKING INVEST IN slow burn foods, porridge's, bananas, even cereal that are slow releasing energy wise will help maintain your energy levels throughout the day.

For those who are working, awesome, you have work to pass the time, rather then being lethargic and getting tired from not doing work. Since I've started work, the fast over the years have flew by, time wise.

Will do the same this year, maybe lost a stone and a half. But since I have been working out over 6+ months, I'll probably do 30-40 min workout once fast is finished for the day.

Going 30/30 this year with fasts, haven't missed many for over a decade now, only really when there was a medical appointment, being very ill, etc.

LETS DO IT.

That's not limited to Shias. Those so far north the time between iftar and suhoor go by Mecca's time. It has to be 18+ hours. Not approved by everyone, though, so. Depends where you look. Saudi says nope.

Second, the travelling thing is incorrect. It's not only 3km. It's 80km or so, according to most scholars. Either way, he's got to make up his days after the month has ended. There's no escaping fasting.

Sorry, that was a typo. She said 30 km, not 3. But that's still a bit shorter than 80, so she was probably still a bit misinformed.

Hm, so if you have to do it later, I guess you'd have to keep doing this until a couple of months have passed so that the time of day becomes more favourable to you.

People in midnight sun locations have the option to go to the nearest place with civilization's times, but this would still likely be 20+ hours. I think a few leaders may have put a cap of some sort, but yeah, the majority I think would need to do the 20+ hours. The closest sort of exception for it is that you aren't supposed to fast should it become physically unbearable (can make it up at another time), but asides from that, the dominant ruling is to fast if you physically can

Googled "shia marja 23 hour fasts" to check the results out, they pretty much confirmed what I remembered about it

Yeah, the girl I talked to said that she had some physical condition which meant she didn't have to fast. Still, it doesn't really make sense to me that you'd have to go 20+ hours. I'd assume that would just lead to more people finding excuses to skip it entirely. Giving people the option to follow the time in Mecca or something like that would seem like a more pragmatic solution, in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

I lost a lot of weight during ramadan in Y11.

Rigorously playing Football at lunch then walking home in the heat was drenched in sweat everyday but now not so much :/. Gotta keep my intentions clear as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom