• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2016 |OT| Ramadan is over, now EID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazan

Based in Stockholm where we will fast for almost 20 hours (2.20 AM to ~10 PM). Nonetheless, looking forward to it! Ramadan mubarak!

Ashes

Banned
Is sending my Muslim friend pictures of delicious looking food at random times a day during Ramadan considered bullying?

If the friend were me, I'd laugh once. But then it's torture, so I'd either just pretend to lol or just block you.

that is probably why I will disappear from this thread during fasting hours.

The thought of working tomorrow already makes me regret not booking time off. Gotta get that H2O in proper good like.

As for weight, expecting to lose 2-4KG. last year was around the same, and the year before that was even more. Could do with keeping that weight probably.

Excuse my ignorance as I am not a Muslim. But reading this "As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. Fasting is also beneficial to the health and provides a break in the cycle of rigid habits or overindulgence. " begs me the question how can you gain weight if you are supposed to eat little? Doesn't make sense to me. Any explanation??? Because you said some gain and some lose weight.

People gouge themselves after breaking fast, the hours where there is no fast, and then at the time you would eat before fast. They eat so much, in such a quick fashion the body gains weight.

Essentially, since you eat so much shit for a short period of time, you body breaks it down, but has no follow up water/healthy stuff so the fat, carbs etc just sit there. It does not help at all that the (usually) greasy, high carb, high fat fried oily food people eat during fasting gets consumed during the time I described above.

Add to this the people who fast and don't work usually don't do much throughout the day apart from sleep/watch tv/sleep/play games/sleep/read Qu'ran etc. The body does not burn off the high calorie intake.

Which leads to weight being gained.

This year I'll be able to finally read this Oxford version of the Quran. I'll be taking Organic Chem for the summer semester as well. Hope all my Muslim brothers and sisters have a great Ramadan.

Are there any muslim moms on here with experience of breastfeeding and Ramadhan? Did you fast or not? I've heard fasting can significantly decrease your supply.

NYGaf, anybody around here wanna like meet up somewhere for iftar one day or something? Or something like that you know I'd be down for it.

tl;dr ---> skip

My living situation is pretty nuts. For half a year I've literally been a duffle bag boy; packing a duffle bag with a week worth of clothes to come down and squat in the city, and then go back home every Friday. So I came back tonight, got into the apartment, then
I smoked a little bit and
decided it'd be okay just as long as it didn't get to 8:25, which is the NY maghrib time, I guess coz that's when ramadan officially begins. Here, anyway.

It is kind of fucked up. gaffers have noticed it in a few, threads, here. I made a really personal thread last year too, and I think that was after last ramadan. Rusty eventually made an OT for the ummah (that's what we would call it right?) and my personal life boiled into that thread as well. But I'm planning to just stop for this 30 days.

Anyways, I don't mean to bring my personal life into here as well - we all have our problems. I've shared a little about it in the past and that's why I mentioned it again. We all have our problems, in our lives. And we can choose to just keep them personal.
whoa, seems like there are quite a few of us here

L.O.R.D

me before fasting (in sohor):

cNjeayL.gif

and the water level in my stomach like this:

tropical-waters.gif

NYGaf, anybody around here wanna like meet up somewhere for iftar one day or something? Or something like that you know I'd be down for it.

tl;dr ---> skip

My living situation is pretty nuts. For half a year I've literally been a duffle bag boy; packing a duffle bag with a week worth of clothes to come down and squat in the city, and then go back home every Friday. So I came back tonight, got into the apartment, then
I smoked a little bit and
decided it'd be okay just as long as it didn't get to 8:25, which is the NY maghrib time, I guess coz that's when ramadan officially begins. Here, anyway.

It is kind of fucked up. gaffers have noticed it in a few, threads, here. I made a really personal thread last year too, and I think that was after last ramadan. Rusty eventually made an OT for the ummah (that's what we would call it right?) and my personal life boiled into that thread as well. But I'm planning to just stop for this 30 days.

Anyways, I don't mean to bring my personal life into here as well - we all have our problems. I've shared a little about it in the past and that's why I mentioned it again. We all have our problems, in our lives. And we can choose to just keep them personal.

You're homeless?

black_clavus

Neo Member
Ramadan kareem!

Easy mode here, but I just pee 3 time and it isn't noon yet :/

I hope this year I could fully control my anger to the level when I don't have to think about it

ZarKryn7

Ramadan Kareem,

Had to take my bro to a masjid so he can lead tawareh there. Its a 45 minute drive. And I'm gonna have to this like 27-28 more times.

Make du'a for me 😂

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Worst timing ever. How do muslims in Scandinavia handle fasting when Midsommar is approaching and the sun never sets?

Lets do this. First suhoor of 2016.

Yeah man, we outchea.

:O what is that, I have some bengali friends but they've never mentioned it lol.

It's a kind of dry sweet. There are variations of it but the ones I love are the powdered ones you see in the photo.

Its the worst (and by that I mean the best) sweet because its so deceptive.

Rasmalai, jalebi and the like are very sweet so you're satisfied with eating just half a piece. These balushai's are dry and only slightly sweet so you can eat a hundred of them before you start getting disgusted. Its the worst man. I've eaten boxes full of these things like a monster.

vareon

I drank too little water on night and suhoor. I feel dizzy now, 4 hours to break.

Drink a lot of water over time, people! Not just chugging it out at the last minute.

Ashes

Banned
I'm in Istanbul, got back from Israel/Palestine yesterday, I'm fugging shattered

Woh. Whatcha do in Israel/Palestine?

I drank too little water on night and suhoor. I feel dizzy now, 4 hours to break.
4 hours? Whereabouts in the world are you?

Worst timing ever. How do muslims in Scandinavia handle fasting when Midsommar is approaching and the sun never sets?

Some follow the times of the nearest Muslim country where there is sunset/sunrise - in that the salaat prayers are estimated this way too. Some follow Mecca times.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I will personally put all my personal wealth into the research on how to punch people through the monitors for all of you bastards posting food and drink pics in here :(

K444WSR

Ramadan Mubarak to everyone participating on gaf. Try to avoid the fatty food and maximise the rewards on offer this month.

Galava

Goddamit that title killed me. I spit out my cofee at work.

Question: Does ramadan have a fixed month or muslims just choose which month to do it? (Sorry for the stupid question...)

I weep for the Muslim's who have to go through the Ramadan in the heat some countries will have this summer.

Respect for them, all though I find it slightly stupid and unsafe for them not to drink nor eat when your body surely needs it 200% more.

NEO0MJ

I always forget how much brain buzz not drinking coffee in the morning does to me. Drinking decaf is not the same 😥

EGOMON

How is your first day guys?
Tomorrow is the 1st day of Ramadan in my country i am excited to join you :D

NEO0MJ

I weep for the Muslim's who have to go through the Ramadan in the heat some countries will have this summer.

Respect for them, all though I find it slightly stupid and unsafe for them not to drink nor eat when your body surely needs it 200% more.

Well, depending on the country chances are they mostly stay inside their houses with the AC set on max and sleep all day. I'm not kidding about that. Those that have work have their schedule cut and work six hours max each day. With the exception of super stores like Walmart most stores close during the morning and only open for 2-3 hours in the afternoon and open again at night. Same for restaurants, who only open for 3-4 hours for fatoor and open again at midnight for sahoor.

While this isn't about the heat, there's a reason why there's always an increase in traffic-related deaths in Dubai during Ramadan. A lot of people rush home for iftar, too.

Well, depending on the country chances are they mostly stay inside their houses with the AC set on max and sleep all day. I'm not kidding about that. Those that have work have their schedule cut and work six hours max each day. With the exception of super stores like Walmart most stores close during the morning and only open for 2-3 hours in the afternoon and open again at night. Same for restaurants, who only open for 3-4 hours for fatoor and open again at midnight for sahoor.

Ah, I see. But I guess that is only for countries where the Islamic religion is the basic way of life, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom