• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2016 |OT| Ramadan is over, now EID!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still somehow gained weight during last year's 22/23hrs fasting days
Happens when you can't go to gym and eat junk/fried food and sweet drinks all month long.

I used to be a kid that loved sweets but my smart Dad indulged us with tons of sweets during Eid to make us sick of it

to the point that we begged for healthy vegetables instead

Basically "Sure I'll buy you sweets" Troll face

Found this on Twitter: Ramadan preparations around the world

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/per...reparations-for-Ramadan-around-the-world.html

Set a standard for 2-4 full (large) glasses of water every suhoor. And I mean this for EVERY suhoor. If you're going to sleep late and might wake up after suhoor ends, drink this before hand. If you're not very hungry that morning, or running out of time, focus on this goal.

Make it a mandatory thing, regardless of whether you feel like it or not. Or even sleep with a glass of water by your bedside, in case of a VERY rushed suhoor (that, and a fruit, like a banana, are good backups for those situations)

Thirst is much harder to deal with than hunger, and if you're fasting in hot places or for very long, staying hydrated is key for your health.

Gotcha. Drinking excessive amounts of water makes me want to throw up so I guess I'll eat food here and there. I rarely ever feel like eating when I wake up.

Zalman

Ramadan Mubarak, everyone. I am unable to fast due to health-related reasons, but I always use this time to reflect on the important things in life and enjoy my time with my family. Ramadan doesn't start off very well for me this year as I have the most important exam of my life tomorrow. :/

Mr.Sword

! كل عام وانتم بخير

This is the first time in years since I had final exams in Ramadan, and they are in the morning too, usually they would delay it until evening, but my university is only delaying finals that originally were dated in the afternoon this year.

God help me :p

Cant wait to indulge in Bangladeshi style Balushai and then hate myself for it after every ifter :)

010.jpg

Dai Kaiju

Christian here. God is calling me to fast so I guess I'll be joining you guys. I'll be doing 40 days straight just water. Pretty sure I'm going to die.

Anon67

Ah this thread again, Ramadan Mubarak, guys. Unlike previously, I'm working full-time now so this Ramadan might be a little crazy. Inshallah it'll work out.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Ramadan Kareem everyone. We start tomorrow.

I always gain weight during Ramadan since I always tend to over eat when breaking fast.

This is the problem for almost everyone. Food consumption is greater than every other month looking at how crowded supermarkets gets and food sales which should be the opposite.

Anyway, hopefully prayers and all your dreams come true inshallah :)

Numb

! كل عام وانتم بخير

This is the first time in years since I had final exams in Ramadan, and they are in the morning too, usually they would delay it until evening, but my university is only delaying finals that originally were dated in the afternoon this year.

God help me :p
good luck

One day I will own a wine cellar stocked entirely with Vimto.

Sch1sm

Ramadan Mubarak, everyone. I am unable to fast due to health-related reasons, but I always use this time to reflect on the important things in life and enjoy my time with my family. Ramadan doesn't start off very well for me this year as I have the most important exam of my life tomorrow. :/

Good luck! Hope it turns out positively for you. Try and relax, get decent sleep. The works. I'll pray for ya.

Ramadan kareem everyone! May Allah accept our fasting.

Let's see if I manage to lose a bit of weight this year again. I think I need to cut down on my Harira intake, but it's just tooo damn tasty!

faridmon

Christian here. God is calling me to fast so I guess I'll be joining you guys. I'll be doing 40 days straight just water. Pretty sure I'm going to die.

You are not even gonna eat anything during the night?

well good luck buddy, because that seems.... just plain hard and unhealthy. You need nutritious.

you're bengali?

Ji bhai

This is the problem for almost everyone. Food consumption is greater than every other month looking at how crowded supermarkets gets and food sales which should be the opposite.

Anyway, hopefully prayers and all your dreams come true inshallah :)

Thanks man! I'm totally unprepared right now so the first few days will be more difficult. Hopefully I can acquire the ingredients this week for some of the meal ideas in this thread so I can 1) fast safely and comfortably as possible and 2) maintain or lose weight.

Set a standard for 2-4 full (large) glasses of water every suhoor. And I mean this for EVERY suhoor. If you're going to sleep late and might wake up after suhoor ends, drink this before hand. If you're not very hungry that morning, or running out of time, focus on this goal.

Make it a mandatory thing, regardless of whether you feel like it or not. Or even sleep with a glass of water by your bedside, in case of a VERY rushed suhoor (that, and a fruit, like a banana, are good backups for those situations)

Thirst is much harder to deal with than hunger, and if you're fasting in hot places or for very long, staying hydrated is key for your health.
Man 4 glasses of water means no place for food :lol

I understand that sounds counter intuitive. You're not gonna eat or drink for 18 hours so your brain tells you to load up on a big steak dinner instead of drinking water and filling yourselves up. Its hard to resist!
basically the real hard mode
Hard mode is EST timezones. Sweden is CRUSHING mode. Good luck to you guys especially in Europ!

Ramadan Mubarak.

Man 4 glasses of water means no place for food :lol

I have this issue, so I just fill a 2l bottle and drink it in the 5 and a half hours I have (in the UK) and dirnk some fruit juice whne I eat breakfast/sehri.

Vimto is great as well as stated already lol.

I gain or lose weight.It depends how much energy I have, I've had holidays due to uni (this is the last year ;_;) so it's much easier to just play games& pray all day.

Cant wait to indulge in Bangladeshi style Balushai and then hate myself for it after every ifter :)

:O what is that, I have some bengali friends but they've never mentioned it lol.

Good luck man , get well soon.

Ramadan Kareem everyone! InshaAllah,
fasting goes well for everyone and you all have blessed months.

Does anyone have advice for making the best out of Ramadan for those who can't fast? I know Ramadhan is more than just fasting, but fasting has always made me feel connected in a way.

Also great title :p

Dai Kaiju

You are not even gonna eat anything during the night?

well good luck buddy, because that seems.... just plain hard and unhealthy. You need nutritious.

Nope, just water but at least I get to drink it during the day too.

I'll be taking a multivitamin supplement. Not looking forward to this at all.

Ramadan mubarak all.

Hoping this year makes Fajr a permanent inclusion to my life (it's the one I usually miss outside of ramadan, sad to say).

Ashes

Banned
East London Mosque and the London Muslim Centre would like to welcome in Ramadan 2016/1437AH. Ramadan Karim! We pray everyone has a beneficial and rewarding Ramadan, insha'Allah.

The Coordination Committee of Major Islamic Centres and Mosques of London have agreed that 1st Ramadan 1437 will be on Monday 6th June 2016.

You can download a copy of the Ramadan Timetable via this link.
The tarawih salah will commence from Sunday 5th June 2016, starting at 11.00PM and Qur'an will be recited by the following huffaz:
Shaykh Ahmed Ragab (Egypt)
Shaykh Feisel Amin Abdulrahman (America)
Shaykh Abdul Aziz (Eygpt)

http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/news/ramadan-20161437-announcement

We always get these announcements around 5pm -2 hours before sunset. No prizes for guessing where in the world is Magrib at at around 5pmBST(GMT+1).
Mecca, Saudi Arabia

yo stokholm people with 1:53 of fazar and 9:56 of maghrib. wish you luck guys I don't know if you are following other city time table. We are here at 3:30 am fazar and 9:35 magrib so little tolerable.

Ramadan Kareem everyone! InshaAllah,
fasting goes well for everyone and you all have blessed months.

Does anyone have advice for making the best out of Ramadan for those who can't fast? I know Ramadhan is more than just fasting, but fasting has always made me feel connected in a way.

Also great title :p

Just pray,increase your islamic knowledge - Read the Quran, read a translation , learn some islamic history, become a better person/improve yourself/self-reflection :D.

Tagyhag

Is sending my Muslim friend pictures of delicious looking food at random times a day during Ramadan considered bullying?

Whales

Banned
work + ramadan, gonna be hard this year

edit: water is def. the hardest thing during ramadan, I can easily go a whole day without eating but I drink so much water

Mr Swine

Banned
A revered and spiritual month for Muslims meant for getting closer to god by dedicating yourself to acting, reading the Quran, etc. Not that it's what happens with most, but that's the goal.

It's not just that people eat a lot, it's that they eat a lot at once and do almost nothing all day, or at least that's how it is where I live :p

1. It's a pillar of Islam, similar to a commandment.
2. The Qur'an was first revealed during the month of Ramadan.
3. The Night of Power (Laylat al Qadr) is during this month. It occurs during the last 10 odd days of Ramadan, and is when the first verses of the Qur'an (read above) were sent down.
4. The gates of heaven are open & Hell closed/demons shackled, what have you.
5. Atone for the sins of the past year through fasting. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Have a look at last years OP for more right here.

This is why we need FAQ gents! Reposting from last year:

Here is Colorado State University website to help out with the details

What is Ramadan?

Why is Ramadan special?

Who Fasts in Ramadan?

What are the requirements of fasting during Ramadan?

Last 10 days of Ramadan

Food!!
Let the journey begin.
Ramadan 2015
Ramadan 2014
Ramadan 2013

Thanks for the answers!

Is sending my Muslim friend pictures of delicious looking food at random times a day during Ramadan considered bullying?

Hahaha no, do it.

If anything they might be glad you made them laugh though fasting. It'll get get hard for most of us, a little laughter will help the, get through it easier.

Nere

Excuse my ignorance as I am not a Muslim. But reading this "As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. Fasting is also beneficial to the health and provides a break in the cycle of rigid habits or overindulgence. " begs me the question how can you gain weight if you are supposed to eat little? Doesn't make sense to me. Any explanation??? Because you said some gain and some lose weight.

orochi91

Excuse my ignorance as I am not a Muslim. But reading this "As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. Fasting is also beneficial to the health and provides a break in the cycle of rigid habits or overindulgence. " begs me the question how can you gain weight if you are supposed to eat little? Doesn't make sense to me. Any explanation??? Because you said some gain and some lose weight.

Some people can go overboard when ending their fast after sunset; they gorge themselves.

I've noticed this especially among some South Asian Muslim friends here in Canada, where the types of food they eat after ending their fast is often deep-fried and/or rather oily.

mo60

Less than 12 hours until fasting starts for me. The first couple of days are going to be hard to fast like every Ramadan for me.And Ramadan Karem to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom