• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rambo: The Videogame [OT] Mission... accomplished.

Shaneus

It's a brand new game made on a tiny budget that has nothing to do with the arcade game.
Came in here for an answer to this. Shame, because even though I never got to play it, the arcade game looked badass. I think it might've been Japan only though :(

GIMME DAT PORT, SEGA

RAIDEN1

The prospects of this game were always looking bad ever since the 1st trailer came out...the time and investment put into this seems like the developers had nothing else better to do than make this "game" if you can call it that...wasted opportunity...slim chance there'd be a definitive version of Rambo for any console anytime soon..

Xander51

Gamestop has the US retail release of this listed as 4/29 for some reason. I'm glad it's coming to Steam today!

On PS3 the game features Move support for the sliver of players who still actively care about Move, which at least partially emulates a light gun, but the Move has never made anything more fun and Rambo: The Video Game is no exception.

Bah humbug IGN I love the Move controller and I'd argue it makes lightgun games much more fun, I'll be picking this up when its a tenner.

On PS3 the game features Move support for the sliver of players who still actively care about Move, which at least partially emulates a light gun, but the Move has never made anything more fun and Rambo: The Video Game is no exception.

Bah humbug IGN I love the Move controller and I'd argue it makes lightgun games much more fun, I'll be picking this up when its a tenner.

Yeah that really sounds like the reviewer hasnt played any lightgun games on Move and didnt even bother to try this one.

And Resistance 3 was way better with Move+Navi.

system11

I want CRTs back. CRTs and proper light guns that work at home as well as they work in the arcade. This would have made a great light gun game.

I was missing them so much there's a Time Crisis 3 in our garage.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I want CRTs back. CRTs and proper light guns that work at home as well as they work in the arcade. This would have made a great light gun game.

I was missing them so much there's a Time Crisis 3 in our garage.
Yep. Actual light guns were awesome and quite fun.

The Wii-mote and Move style pointing systems are terrible in comparison for this type of game.

That translates to an 11/10, right?

EDIT: Eurogamer - 5/10

That's not too shabby, I guess.

image.php

micster

Came in here for an answer to this. Shame, because even though I never got to play it, the arcade game looked badass. I think it might've been Japan only though :(

GIMME DAT PORT, SEGA
Nope! The Namco arcades in London have a Rambo cabinet. They really should've just ported that, but I assume it has license problems because of the movie clips

Tizoc

I could see buying it when it's on sale for like $10 just experience the awfulness. But for $40? No way.

$10? Son if Aliens: CM can go as low as $5, you can bet the game can go as low as that in coming weeks if not months.
...unless it gets delisted due to license expiry or something.

Nope! The Namco arcades in London have a Rambo cabinet. They really should've just ported that, but I assume it has license problems because of the movie clips

Well they use audio clips ripped straight from the movies in the game. Guess that's cheaper? lol

pa22word

Shallow, dumb and relentlessly violent, you could make a pretty strong case for Rambo: The Video Game being a near perfect adaptation of its source material. That source material being the three Sylvester Stallone movies released between 1982 and 1988, in which sociopathic war veteran John Rambo shoots the crap out of a small Washington town, most of Vietnam and a good chunk of Afghanistan.

Redneck-WTF-Reaction-Gif.gif

Something tells me Dan Whitehead didn't actually watch First Blood...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Redneck-WTF-Reaction-Gif.gif

Something tells me Dan Whitehead didn't actually watch First Blood...

Yeah this really fucking irked me too. Hell I enjoy all the Rambo films but the sequels are silly action films I have fun with whilst First Blood is a wonderful complicated tale about a haunted man suffering from PTSD only to be treated like shit when he returns. Especially by small town hicksville sheriffs wankers. One of the best films of Slys career and of the 80s. Even the sequels at least tried to say something during the period of 80s action films, for example Rambo First Blood Part 2 commenting on men still being held captive in Vietnam that the government had no interest in rescuing/getting back.

hitoshi

Just finished it. First two acts, especially the second was really great, but the third is even worse than the film. The last mission is the most unbalanced mission I have ever seen in a videogame. Period. I was stuck for 40 minutes and a 3 minute section. Yes, its THAT bad. (i smashed part of my keyboard during the process... http://i.imgur.com/HH4q0xY.jpg). Other than the dated graphics (which is totally fine, i don't need crysis 3 graphics) its a solid rail shooter. If anyone just wants to watch, I have recorder all three "campaigns".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7oTIe73BOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gviq34-bI

Mask

I have a video review coming some time this weekend, but I thought I'd put some thoughts down here.

I really don't know what to think of Rambo:The Video Game. It's both one of the worst, and best games I've played.
Seriously, even though the graphics are dated, the levels are pretty short, and the sound is spotty in places, it's strangely
likeable, maybe due to it being much like the Time Crisis games. I could see it being very enjoyable if it had light-gun support.

In terms of graphics, it's all over the place. Rambo himself seems to have about three or four different character models.
The in-game model isn't too bad, and at the very least, it's recognizable as Rambo, if not the prettiest 3d model. However, the model
used in the Skills and Perks screen, looks... off, like they got an intern to remodel his face. It looks like Jason Statham cosplaying as
Rambo.

The game is straight forward light-gun shooter fare. You have a cover system straight out of Time Crisis, and for some reason, the
active reload system from Gears of War. The length of levels varies wildly. One of the levels, based off the scene from First Blood when
Rambo breaks free from the Hope Police Station, is literally only about just over a minute long, and consists of about 14 QTE's, and nothing
else.

The sound is pretty spotty. Nothing overly wrong about the gun sounds, which all sound powerful enough, but the voice acting, ripped
straight from the original voice tracks of the films, sounds more like they just recorded them off the DVD or something. In some cases, you
can actually hear the sound effects from the films playing in the background while they're talking. Other sound effects are okay, apart from
the sound of Rambo punching someone. The punches sound less like fisticuffs, and more like someone slapping a raw, wet, turkey.

In short, I like it, but I also don't like it. Rambo/10.

Top Bottom