• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Review Thread

Vire

Question, say you got half the collectibles in the first playthrough. Could you move on to New Game + and then get the other half without having to start over?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting to see the ideas others had of the game as a whole. Late the year of reimaginininings begin!

Yes. Go go Crash!!!

Oh and Resistance 4 with RFoM multiplayer, R2 co-op, and R3 Campaign inspirations!

Question, say you got half the collectibles in the first playthrough. Could you move on to New Game + and then get the other half without having to start over?

I believe so. That is how NG+ is supposed to work.

shandy706

There is a lot to love in Ratchet and Clank, but it also comes with its fair share of headaches. Levels are short and linear, and leave little desire to stay on them any longer than you have to. While weapons are interesting and unique, they often come with the added weight of being hard to aim. It’s beautiful, funny and fun, but also, short and stale.

Ugh, and a 7.5...guess this is a rental....I had such high hopes.

This looks like another great game for 2016, have to make it feel like a review thread. Felt weird.

This needs to be in every game.

pixelation

Great to see the reception the game is getting from reviewers. It's really an amazing franchise once it's control scheme was refined. Amazing to think at one point before the first game came out I basically thought, "Ratchet & Clank? Oh yeah, that's that no-name game that's using the Jak & Daxter engine. Why wouldn't I just replay Jak & Daxter."

Yet, R&C is the one that has stuck around and continuing to amaze.

That's because Naughty Dog are stoopeed... T_T

Interesting to see the ideas others had of the game as a whole. Late the year of reimaginininings begin!

I was just watching yours. I appreciate that you mention some of the animations being stiff. They had it perfect (or at least noticeably better) even back in the day with GC and UYA in that regard, and of course, Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time had fluid animations as well. A little disappointing at the step back it seems to have taken in that regard, but it's still not too much of an issue. It was apparent to me from preview videos.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I keep refreshing waiting for the Polygon review...

Same, lol.

They gave Nexus an 8.5, and have been glowing about this up until this point... however, they have been very suspect with reasonings (social and political climate issues, lol) with a few reviews the past year or two.

So the pessimism towards them has me seeing a Gies reviewed 6.5 tops, lol. With a caption saying, 'not Kameo enough' or something. ;)

I hearted Kameo.

shandy706

Why? Like, why Polygon in particular when we have so many reviews already posted?

Because one or a few low/crazy scores determines how good the game is. Screw the other 40-60 reviews. (See Quantum Break thread, lol)

Insomniac are on point lately, they're doing some good stuff.

Loudninja

Gaming Age
In fact, that's probably why Ratchet and Clank have made such an astoundingly good debut on the PS4: because Insomniac knows what makes these games work, and they realized that they didn't need to overhaul them from the ground up to make them work on a new system, too. Sure, the graphics may be nicer, and the story may be bigger, and the combat may be smoother, but deep down, this has the same DNA as all the other Ratchet and Clank games before it. And just as that's led to several classics on earlier Sony consoles, that means that the lombax and robot duo's first PS4 outing is just as exceptional as the very best of the series that have come before.

Grade: A+
http://www.gaming-age.com/2016/04/ratchet-clank-review-ps4/

Because this thread has been too perfect so far, lol.

True, well, the field has been set. When you have like a 75 as the lowest score, that leaves Polygon a lot of room to drop the bottom out. I know they do seem to have the lowest score on a few games, for whatever reasons.

BiggNife

I keep refreshing waiting for the Polygon review...

Because this thread has been too perfect so far, lol.

People getting excited to shit on a Polygon review they haven't read yet kind of grosses me out. You guys have already made up your mind and the review doesn't even exist yet.

If you don't like a particular publication then just don't factor in their reviews when looking at opinions. Problem solved. Don't look for excuses to get angry.

I really, really hope this sells well. The weird spin-offs aside, it's such a consistently brilliant series. Glad to see it's reviewed so well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People getting excited to shit on a Polygon review they haven't read yet kind of grosses me out. You guys have already made up your mind and the review doesn't even exist yet.

If you don't like a particular publication then just don't factor in their reviews when looking at opinions. Problem solved. Don't look for excuses to get angry.

Hahaha, we are just having a little fun here. If we can't laugh and some of the shit they pull, as well as others, then what the fuck ever man.

Shit is not that serious.

Reviews are pretty damn solid so far. I was a little skeptical about this game but now I'm actually pretty excited to play it now. Ratchet and Clank has always been one of my favorite series on the playstation so good to know this didn't fail to deliver.

It's all in good fun, for most of us at least. To be fair though, sometimes some of the writers at Polygon have weird justifications for not liking games, the guy who is reviewing R&C especially.

Polygon looking at Neogaf like
giphy.gif

BiggNife

Hahaha, we are just having a little fun here. If we can't laugh and some of the shit they pull, as well as others, then what the fuck ever man.

Shit is not that serious.

You say that, but I've seen more than my fair share of people gleefully ripping into Polygon for having an outlier score even when it's super duper obvious they didn't even bother to read the review.

I'm glad you know better than to take this shit seriously but way too many people don't. If you want proof just look at the old UC3 review thread with like 50 people losing their minds over Eurogamer's 8/10.

ghibli99

Already bought DS3... gonna have to add one more to that.

I had no idea this was coming out tomorrow, so it's a very nice surprise. :)

KodaRuss

I went ahead and preordered the game. I wont have time to play it I am sure with the division update and Dark Souls III coming out as well.

Review threads are kinda boring without some controversial scores.

Going to take my cousins to the movie, it will be the dubbed version. I'm prepared to cringe a lot.

Gurish

Just seen the Gamersyde videos, oh my this thing is a beauty :O

I have no doubt that in stills some of the faults will be noticeable but in motion it's so gorgeous! one of the best looking games on PS4, like in the top 3.

I know that in every gen people think that Ratchet looks like a pixar video, I never thought like that, those games visually were never my thing, but with this game it does have that animation video look to it, obviously not Pixar (we are decades away from that), but for the first time I feel like it is true.

Karak

I was just watching yours. I appreciate that you mention some of the animations being stiff. They had it perfect (or at least noticeably better) even back in the day with GC and UYA in that regard, and of course, Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time had fluid animations as well. A little disappointing at the step back it seems to have taken in that regard, but it's still not too much of an issue. It was apparent to me from preview videos.

Ya it was odd that it did indeed take a step back. It was still good but noticable for sure.

reKon

Banned
It's really perfect to have not played a Ratchet game since ACiT many years ago. I don't think this will top that game from a gameplay standpoint, but it's still going to be very fun and I won't feel tired of it because I haven't played a game like this in a long while. I think GoW is going to be the same for me. Last one I played was Gow III and I never even played Ascension. When that one comes, I think it's going to feel fresh.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You say that, but I've seen more than my fair share of people gleefully ripping into Polygon for having an outlier score even when it's super duper obvious they didn't even bother to read the review.

I'm glad you know better than to take this shit seriously but way too many people don't. If you want proof just look at the old UC3 review thread with like 50 people losing their minds over Eurogamer's 8/10.

This will never change. It was meltdown suicide watch with Twilight Princess and Gerstmann, lol.

Polygon looking at Neogaf like
giphy.gif

Now that's funny! lol

Oh yeah I also forgot to say that he thinks the game is better than Crack in Time (which was his previous favorite in the series)

Whoa! Which was mine as well.

Now I am so glad I am 'working from home' to play this game tomorrow. Too damned hyped!

I played one of its PS3 titles and generally liked it even if it didn't inspire me to try the entire series. But what the hell, I'll jump in on this one. Price is good.

Top Bottom