• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman DLC leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U [revealed fake]

MrBadger

I can think of characters in Smash with less good games than Rayman. I see the argument that he's not really relevant to Nintendo history, but he still fits in with all the characters.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This is just one step closer to the final goal of Goku being announced for Smash.

I can think of characters in Smash with less good games than Rayman. I see the argument that he's not really relevant to Nintendo history, but he still fits in with all the characters.

This. Rayman isn't my top choice (he's not even on the list) and I don't think he deserves the spot, but he still fits. I think it's ridiculous to get another third party character that doesn't have a long, strong Nintendo history though. Where is that Belmont, man?

Big One

Banned
Not sure how anyone can hate Rayman. The mainline series are some of the best platformers in the genre. Raving Rabbids is whatever though.

He's fine. Guys like Simon Belmot and Snake appeal to more hardcore gamers anyway and I think Nintendo was trying to stick to mascot characters with it's third party additions.

Kriken

Pit

Fight me, he's had ONE good game

Not sure how anyone can hate Rayman. The mainline series are some of the best platformers in the genre. Raving Rabbids is whatever though.

I feel like the hate is more directed at Ubisoft and how they've been dealing with Nintendo of late

fhqwhgads

This is just one step closer to the final goal of Goku being announced for Smash.
277.png

Ryce

I feel like third-party characters should be held to a different standard, though. Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mega Man are indelible gaming icons, but Rayman is a few rungs below them. He just doesn't feel "special" enough to warrant being a guest character, but I'm probably in the minority in thinking that. It's also weird to think that Sakurai would want to include Rayman given how virtually unknown the series is in Japan -- seriously, look at how short the Rayman series Wikipedia article is.

okay i guess, but ROB has history, ice climbers were rightfully cut.

Ice Climbers were cut for technical reasons, not because they were in a bad game. Ice Climber was also an NES launch game and bundled with the NES in some regions.

Rayman also has a strong history with Nintendo.

I feel like third-party characters should be held to a different standard, though. Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mega Man are indelible gaming icons, but Rayman is a few rungs below them. He just doesn't feel "special" enough to warrant being a guest character, but I'm probably in the minority in thinking that. It's also weird to think that Sakurai would want to include Rayman given how virtually unknown the series is in Japan -- seriously, look at how short the Rayman series Wikipedia article is.

The issue is though that Sakurai has always expressed a desire to appeal to westerners more than he has in the past.

ZeroX03

Banned
This. Rayman isn't my top choice (he's not even on the list) and I don't think he deserves the spot, but he still fits. I think it's ridiculous to get another third party character that doesn't have a long, strong Nintendo history though. Where is that Belmont, man?

As pointed out, there's been a good 10+ Rayman games on Nintendo systems dating back over 15 years. And recent games have found the fanbase mostly on Nintendo systems.

Canon

Banned
I'd like a Bandai Namco Smash Bros. mode. Separate from the main game, just an option in the menu. Pac-Man, Klonoa, the crew from DragonBall and Naruto, and some other things. Why not if Rayman can get in, might as well.

PacMan is a favourite of Miyamoto and he personally made a game with him. that's not nothing.

And Ubisoft was a super close ally to Nintendo during the Wii and DS era, they were one of the only third-parties that didn't jump ship. Further, the addition of third-parties is generally done by other companies approaching Nintendo, which Ubisoft probably did.

As pointed out, there's been a good 10+ Rayman games on Nintendo systems dating back over 15 years. And recent games have found the fanbase mostly on Nintendo systems.

You could say similar about Splinter Cell. There have been several games for the Gamecube, DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U. Do you think Sam Fisher should get in?

MrBadger

What other third party character would you say is more deserving than Rayman, though? I feel like Sonic is the only 3rd party character that's absolutely necessary because of his rivalry with Mario, and then you have Pac-Man who's just a huge gaming icon, and Mega Man, who was big on the NES. Who else is there? The only other person that immediately comes to mind is Simon and beyond him, it just seems like open season for platforming mascots.

Also I'd much rather have Dracula than Simon in Smash.

ZeroX03

Banned
You could say similar about Splinter Cell. There have been several games for the Gamecube, DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U. Do you think Sam Fisher should get in?

The majority of the Splinter Cell fanbase isn't on Nintendo systems, nor is it a platformer or cartoon style series that permeates the majority of the Smash fanbase. It's a poor comparison.

Big One

Banned
Splinter Cell isn't really as popular as Rayman, nor does it target the audience Smash is going for which is for casual fanbases.

Foffy

Banned
Neither was Pac-Man in particular. None of his successes were relevant to Nintendo.

Both Pac-Man and Rayman do have some meaty connections to Nintendo. Both franchises have titles that were first party published games, though Pac-Man's gone deeper as Nintendo has actually made Pac-Man games, and then there's the constant crossovers with the Mario series.

Maybe Ubisoft's attitude to supporting Nintendo when most third party developers were bailing on them played a role. I mean, the Wii U is where Ubisoft followed suit, no? ):

Top Bottom