• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman DLC leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U [revealed fake]

Forkball

So I am late on this big time but I have seen all the leaked images and photos. For the most part they COULD be real but at the same time there's still a couple of red flags.

1. Rayman's character model looks off. The eyebrows are too bushy in comparison to his trophy.

2. Only pictures/video of the select screen. These can be the most easily photoshoped.

3. No pictures/video of character fighting. Surley that has to be being worked on right now if they got the character.

4. I've seen more convincing leaks. (Like the Palutena one before she was revealed) that turned out to be faulty. (Reference http://i.imgur.com/CpC9YOh.jpg)

5. It's from 4chan.

Now ultimately I would like for this to happen and there's some stuff that seems legit but at the same time, there are people out there who literally have all the time in the world on their hands to do something like this.
You have good points, but one of the key things that makes me think it could be real is the Mewtwo render. It's one thing to make a convincing Rayman render and then edit it into everything, but Mewtwo requires a bit more work.

Hatchtag

Banned
Well I mean we've already got Sonic and his recent history is far more "disrespectful" than Rayman's.

man, just think of Sakurai debating bringing back Sonic during the planning phases.
"They just did Unleashed, Colors, and Generations! I don't know what's on the horizon, but it seems like Sonic's back baby. Everything's gonna be uphill from here!"
;_;

I think the third party characters are perfect after Rayman. I wish Snake would come back, but really more just because he already got to be in and he was fun to play.

Rayman, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic are an awesome lineup of third parties, and I think it's actually perfect.

Snake though, I still want. That kinda seems to be up to Kojima to pursue though.

man, just think of Sakurai debating bringing back Sonic during the planning phases.
"They just did Unleashed, Colors, and Generations! I don't know what's on the horizon, but it seems like Sonic's back baby. Everything's gonna be uphill from here!"
;_;

He was a popular character who was heavily requested by fans. He would have brought him back regardless of quality of this most recent output.

It's hardly inoffensive when we have multiple Kid Icarus characters, consisting of two bad games that were twenty years apart.

Err, isn't Myths & Monsters considered better than the NES game in every way?

Yes, Kid Icarus Uprising is overrated as hell, but it's still a good game and definitely one of the more interesting projects to come out of Nintendo this decade.

FleenerW

I miss the days when Rayman's design used to look sort of cool. Who thought it was a good idea now to have his face constantly look like a derpy deadbeat? Leave that crap in the Rabbids junk.

Dominator

New 3DS.

Also Sakurai has doubled back on more things than roster parity before.

I'd say he agrees that it's better to have them in at least one version (or Wii U and n3DS only) rather than neither one.
New 3DS means nothing when majority of people will not be playing on that.

It is for everyone or no one. You wanna screw a 40+ million base?

So in the same way that the 3DS user base is screwing the Wii U userbase?

There's a whole game coming out exclusively for the n3DS.

I'm not saying it's even remotely likely, but I think excluding a series veteran entirely cause 3DS is weak is ridiculous.

Intellihealth said:
smash4_by_abysswolf-d8g48y5.png

If no ones got Peach yet would anyone be kind enough to hook me up? >.>

I'm rather indifferent to the idea of Rayman being in Smash. I don't really care for any of his older games, though Origins and Legends are pretty damn good. I would much rather see Dixie, or Chorus Kids, or any of the veterans cut from Brawl before him.

I don't really have a vendetta against the character like some seem to, but he doesn't really feel like he belongs in Smash to me, for some reason

whipihguh

Banned
You have good points, but one of the key things that makes me think it could be real is the Mewtwo render. It's one thing to make a convincing Rayman render and then edit it into everything, but Mewtwo requires a bit more work.

I'm actually rather curious as to why the leaker didn't bother to show off the larger Mewtwo render either. I mean, it was right there, after all.

Looking at this again after work, his head looks way too far away from his body from where it should be. And I think that makes it even more legit because someone putting so much time into a fake render would make it look as 'legit' as possible and would have noticed and moved it closer.
If that makes sense haha.

Yeah, Snake should be back but I have a doubt that he would.

Anyway, if anyone want to jump on Smash DLC Hype then here are some avatars materials that people can use.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Smash4-510801485

smash4_by_abysswolf-d8g48y5.png

Man, if I wasn't so attached to my current avatar I'd jump on one of these. Gonna save these for later though if I ever feel like a fresh avatar.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can answer your question as an afficionado of the new 2D Rayman games, former Rayman fan that was turned away from the series after they went in the direction of rabbids, and tell you...

That Legends does not feature every single level that was featured in Origins. It does feature a huge chunk of them, however. You won't be missing too terribly much by skipping Origins to play Legends, but it's still worth it to own both. One level that is exclusive to Origins, the final level, is probaly one of the best 2D platformer challenges ever conceived.

I don't believe all of them, but I know a lot of them were.

Alright, thank you for the answers. If Rayman got confirmed then I would seriously consider to pick up his game to see what he's all about.

I already played Rayman 1 really long time ago but I don't really remember much about the game. I could say that it might not be memorable game for me.

Hatchtag

Banned
So in the same way that the 3DS user base is screwing the Wii U userbase?

There's a whole game coming out exclusively for the n3DS.

I'm not saying it's even remotely likely, but I think excluding a series veteran entirely cause 3DS is weak is ridiculous.

Not really. The cost to make a character for one platform is fairly high. The cost to put the same character on two platforms probably isn't much higher, and greatly, greatly increases revenue from the character. It'd be hard to justify cost-wise making a character for just one platform.

I already played Rayman 1 really long time ago but I don't really remember much about the game. I could say that it might not be memorable game for me.

As someone who played a good bit of Rayman 1 in their childhood... Origins and Legends curbstomp it. Doesn't help that Rayman 1 had insane difficulty even by 1995 standards.

Not really. The cost to make a character for one platform is fairly high. The cost to put the same character on two platforms probably isn't much higher, and greatly, greatly increases revenue from the character. It'd be hard to justify cost-wise making a character for just one platform.

Fair enough, but I feel like those who wanted to play as the ICs would get a N3DS or would get the DLC when they did get one. Plus if you're making them for the Wii U, then the cost to port them over to the n3DS would be relatively small, so the cost would be easily recouped.

In either case, I don't think IC DLC would be a financial bust.

janoDX

Fair enough, but I feel like those who wanted to play as the ICs would get a N3DS or would get the DLC when they did get one. Plus if you're making them for the Wii U, then the cost to port them over to the n3DS would be relatively small, so the cost would be easily recouped.

In either case, I don't think IC DLC would be a financial bust.

You really think that the 3DS users would buy a n3DS just for a $5 DLC.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm backing this. It gets the Watch Da Birdie Seal of Authenticity.

Remember, I backed and made the thread for the Duck Hunt/Bowser Jr. leak when everyone else in Smash GAF was in disbelief. Basically, I think I know my shit when it comes to Smash Brother leaks.

jediyoshi

I'd say he agrees that it's better to have them in at least one version (or Wii U and n3DS only) rather than neither one.

Segmenting an existing player base in a Nintendo staple? By the very nature of them cutting climbers to begin with, I can't see how the idea that it might go in the other direction is somehow more an indicator.

You really think that the 3DS users would buy a n3DS just for a $5 DLC.

I dunno, are people gonna buy a N3DS just for one or two games that only work on it?

When I buy a games console there are a lot of factors. I don't yet have a n3DS, but one factor that would encourage me buy one would be IC DLC, among other things.

Segmenting an existing player base in a Nintendo staple? By the very nature of them cutting climbers to begin with, I can't see how the idea that it might go in the other direction is somehow more an indicator.

Paid DLC is going to segment the player base anyways, so I don't see why this is a big deal.

jediyoshi

I dunno, are people gonna buy a N3DS just for one or two games that only work on it?

You don't see the distinction between an accumulation of features being an incentive as opposed to cherry picking things here and there for argument's sake?

Paid DLC is going to segment the player base anyways, so I don't see why this is a big deal.

Because they aren't remotely the same type of segmentation? At all?

TunaLover

Well the image definitively looks high quality, that model art is not from an existing Rayman game (neither promotional stuff), whatever is fake or not, the guy behind this did a pretty good job.

Don't know why Nintendo would pick a Ubisoft character though, Ubisoft clearly abandoned Nintendo systems, and after all the Rayman release debacle... I don't think Rayman deserves a spot there, it's not a character I personally like either.

You don't see the distinction between an accumulation of features being an incentive as opposed to cherry picking things here and there for argument's sake?

Because they aren't remotely the same type of segmentation? At all?

1) I pointed out the difference in the rest of my post, saying how exclusive content is incentive for a purchase even if in part. I do not think people will buy a N3DS just for the ICs, but I think it would be attractive and one of many things Smash Bros. fans might think about (in addition to loading times and such).

2) I don't understand how. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but having only some players able to play a certain character is segmentation, which is what would happen in the scenario I've described.

Except Ice Climbers are already made.

ffdgh

I'm backing this. It gets the Watch Da Birdie Seal of Authenticity.

Remember, I backed and made the thread for the Duck Hunt/Bowser Jr. leak when everyone else in Smash GAF was in disbelief. Basically, I think I know my shit when it comes to Smash Brother leaks.

Team neutral never denied those 2. Still the best team now too. :D

Hatchtag

Banned
Except Ice Climbers are already made.

They'd need to be rebalanced to hell and back with the lack of chain grabs. And every character got a pretty fair amount of touch ups, they would too. I'd like them back, but I think aside from maybe Pichu, they're gonna be the lowest priority cut vet.

Vuapol

Welp, seeing as if somebody got the clear background Lucario before me, if somebody could craft me a Meta Knight that'd be appreciated.

Top Bottom