• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

We are kinda already seeing that, with an endless stream of PS4 indie ports that no one asked for. I'm sure Fez/Dust/Spelunky/etc are greatly improved by bumping the resolution up to 1080p and whatnot but......it distracts attention from actual new indie games. Sony seems to be allowing anyone with a PS3 title to port it to PS4 - bad!

I disagree I had never played Fez or Spelunky and am happy they were brought to PS4.

enMTW

Banned
This might be the first generation in a very long time where you need a PC (since 16-bit I would say) to get the full of certain offerings past consoles provided themselves. Mid-tier games like Witness, Rime and (hopefully) that Banjo-Kazooie spiritual sequel are nice, but will there be enough of them, and will any of them be aimed exclusively at PS4, XBO or Wii U even?

You needed a PC every gen before last if you wanted to play big FPS titles. You were lucky if they got a console port a year late. What are you even talking about, really?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever, close enough, same difference. Are you seriously suggesting they're still not trying to impact pre-orders with their embargo just because it's up the day before? Give me a fucking break!

If someone can post a walkthrough almost a week before, they can lift the embargo as well. My point stands.

It's still a business trying to maximize profits before opinions begin to flood the Internet. Lifting the embargo has a substantiallly greater impact on sales than some early reviews by early releases. The way I see it, if I'm RAD: "I think our product is great but will be quite divisive. Let us try to gain exposure before people decide the game isn't for them before even playing it."

You can see it as deceit, and in many cases it is if the game is a technical mess, but I don't think RAD released a bad product. The reactions on this forum tell the whole story.

Whatever, close enough, same difference. Are you seriously suggesting they're still not trying to impact pre-orders with their embargo just because it's up the day before? Give me a fucking break!

If someone can post a walkthrough almost a week before, they can lift the embargo as well. My point stands. They need to stop their whining, and let the game speak for itself.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't know if The Order is good or bad because I haven't played it, but embargos are in place for a variety of reasons, not all of which are due to quality of the game.

Violater

Fuck 'em! If they're gonna embargo reviews until release date, then they deserve every single non-contextualized early impression they get.

I dont think RAD has been acting dickish at all like some other devs, quite on the contrary. If I do purchase the game at this point it will be more to support them so they can grow and deliver more than anything else.

IvorB

GAF shoutout LOL
"we have a joke where someone will post on the website NeoGAF something like "Sony released new screenshots of The Order" and we place bets on what post number we think is going to be the first one where someone says something unfoundedly negative. Like 'oh looks like it's going to be failboat' or something like that, and we'll guess 'maybe it's going to be post 20' and we'll see how close we are."

Ah ha ha ha!!! These GAF The Order threads sure are something. This game is hate-bait for sure...

Yeah but if you set your embargo a few days earlier then there's a chance of more people discovering your game may not be all that.

From a publisher point of view it makes sense; keep the consumer as long as possible in the dark about possible shortcomings or controversial aspects of the game. But of course this opens up your game for (unfounded) rumours. Developer & publisher shouldn't complain about the 5 hour length rumour because it wouldn't exist if the embargo was set earlier.

Ubisoft tried it and got massacred in the press for setting the embargo past the release date. No sane publisher will try that again. But 16 hours before release is still way too close.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Can't stop watching that Spanish video. His fucking laugh man, hahaha!

It should be done for every game coming out from now on :-D

Eh...

Something about a video with audio of people speaking a well known language being used to pretend they're saying something else doesn't strike me as funny. If it was in gif. form and I didn't know exactly what they were saying, that'd be one thing, but this is pretty stupid.

I know, It's just that in the context of what Opiate posted it really brings to light just exactly what Naughty Dog managed to deliver with The Last of Us. Extremely impressive in hindsight.
It took ND 4 games to get to TlOU. I will offer R&D the same courtesy and suoport their first efforts.

From all the talk about the game being 5 hours I was expecting it to be over last night. I'm six hours in and still have some ways to go. Other gaffers have clocked in an average of 10 hours and I feel like I'll be around there by the end of it. I'm not rushing through the game but I'm not taking my time either. I plan on finishing it tonight and writing more detailed impressions, both specific and non-specific.

That's great to hear. IMO this whole 5 hour thing has been waaay overblown.

Does anyone know if pre load on PSN is up? My net connection is terrible and I'll probably need 2 days of downloading to get the game haha

1: length is not most important to everyone

2: basing the length on a YouTube playthrough I think at this point has been shown to be not indicative of any game's length. Certainly not for me.

So why so many posts about the length for this game? What is it about this game that generates so much discussion?

On Demand

Banned
Posted?

http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/18/the-order-1886-attracts-uncanny-haterade-says-director/

2: basing the length on a YouTube playthrough I think at this point has been shown to be not indicative of any game's length. Certainly not for me.

So why so many posts about the length for this game? What is it about this game that generates so much discussion?

You have to realise most of the post are from people adding on to the hate who never wanted to buy the game anyway.

I think because people are starved for new exclusive IPs, and really want this to be a meaty experience. Some people want this to be the next TLOU, and that ain't gonna happen. As others have said, give RAD some time. They just might release their equivalent down the road, but this here's only the beginning.

It took ND 4 games to get to TlOU. I will offer R&D the same courtesy and suoport their first efforts.

Maybe it took them actually wanting to make that kind of game. Divorcing themselves from the cinematic formula provided in the Uncharted series, for a while.

Ready at Dawn will have to deliver one of the games of the generation on their next try (Naughty Dog made Uncharted 2).

I think because people are starved for new exclusive IPs, and really want this to be a meaty experience. Some people want this to be the next TLOU, and that ain't gonna happen. As others have said, give RAD some time. They just might release their equivalent down the road, but this here's only the beginning.

If that were the case why was Sunset Overdrive topics so glossed over? A game by the way that has a less than 10 hours to beat in How Long to Beat as well. Are we that forgiving of open world games?

I think the underlying issue is a lot of people, whether they admit it or not, just aren't happy that The Order isn't the type of game they want it to be, with it's super linear QTE driven focus.

Carn82

Was this discussed somewhere?

http://www.develop-online.net/inter...y-at-dawn-talks-quality-over-quantity/0203245

"We have this uncanny 'haterade' for our game no matter what. People are looking for something to throw at our game, some reason to hate it. I'm excited to hear what people who have actually played the game think about it, how do they feel about the quality and the quantity? I think by and large that most people are going to be satisfied."

cool. They compared their game with good steak; I did that the other day as well. The circle is complete.

If that were the case why was Sunset Overdrive topics so glossed over? A game by the way that has a less than 10 hours to beat in How Long to Beat as well. Are we that forgiving of open world games?

Its open world + it had multiplayer. Infamous's runtime was glossed over too since it had the morale system.

Its open world + it had multiplayer. Infamous's runtime was glossed over too since it had the morale system.

Infamous took me a solid 8 hours, and could have been more if I wanted to do more of its terrible side content. I wouldn't classify Infamous as an overly short game by any stretch

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

If you take the hltb Sunset estimate an the youtube playthough, then it is nearly twice as long as The Order.

Sid

Infamous took me a 'solid' 6 hours yet none of the reviews I saw talked about its barren world or the garbage length

Infamous took me a solid 8 hours, and could have been more if I wanted to do more of its terrible side content. I wouldn't classify Infamous as an overly short game by any stretch

I platinumed it. Each storyline took about 4ish hours. I really enjoyed it, but it's not like there's a whole lot different between good and evil stories.

I think because this is a cinematic action game with strong focus on narrative, which at this budget level we're not used to seeing all that often. Open world games are a dime a dozen, and while Sunset was an exclusive I think games like that tend to have less impact on collective mind share over a long period than these do. For all I know Order will be a largely forgettable experience long term, but after tlou these are the kinds of games people get more excited for I believe, and have more expectations of.

I platinumed it. Each storyline took about 4ish hours. I really enjoyed it, but it's not like there's a whole lot different between good and evil stories.

No, I agree. I just think that, in terms of being able to strictly justify replayability, the skill trees/morality/side content makes it more fully featured as a game. Whether or not any of that extra stuff is worthwhile is a whole other story, but it is there.

God damn what the hell is wrong with me?

My first Infamous play was 12-15 hours and the second one still took me 10.
Yeah... Um. 4 hrs?! That's gotta be a mad dash sprint through everything, know exactly where everything blast the main missions only play through. Lol I was somewhere in the 12ish as well and only completed the hero side.

God damn what the hell is wrong with me?

My first Infamous play was 12-15 hours and the second one still took me 10.

Maybe you're remembering wrong? Lol. I don't think it could have taken you 15 hours to get through the story mode. Maybe if you factor in exploring the city and stuff? It's hard to measure the playtimes of open world games, but the campaign itself was definitely really short.

No, I agree. I just think that, in terms of being able to strictly justify replayability, the skill trees/morality/side content makes it more fully featured as a game. Whether or not any of that extra stuff is worthwhile is a whole other story, but it is there.

Yeah going back for the collectables was probably like 4 or 5 extra hours.

Stupid sign twirlers

If you take the hltb Sunset estimate an the youtube playthough, then it is nearly twice as long as The Order.

And I am sure a YouTube playthrough of Sunset going from point a to b and no side stuff can be found as well that is closer to 6 hours.

Which is to my greater point, why the fuss over how someone else played and beat the game? Unless that person is you then that shouldn't predicate how you will enjoy it and how long it will take for you to finish.

Games like that and Infamous are mostly gameplay and there's lots to do. You're actually playing those like 99% of the time and the size of the environments are pretty damn big. The reason people are concerned about this game is because its a linear shooter with 2 hours of cutscenes. You can't really just take any games' length and compare it to the reason why people are concerned about The Order. Sunset Ovedrive and Infamous are all about the gameplay and you can spend so much time in them and there's tons of content. The Order is very straightforward and aside from the shooting there doesn't seem to be much else to do. That's why people didn't complain about the length in the games you're exampling.

People are just throwing any game that's less than 10 hours into this context but it's completely and utterly missing the point.

Maybe you're remembering wrong? Lol. I don't think it could have taken you 15 hours to get through the story mode. Maybe if you factor in exploring the city and stuff? It's hard to measure the playtimes of open world games, but the campaign itself was definitely really short.

15 might be a bit long but it was definitely at least 12, I remember it took more than 2 sessions of at least 6 hours each. But I did spend quite a bit of time looking for some of the blast shards, I think I might have spent an hour or two searching for the last one until I realized it was tied to a campaign mission.

4 hours seems totally nuts though, it took me roughly 45 mins to 1 hour to clear out each district of the city.

15 might be a bit long but it was definitely at least 12, I remember it took more than 2 sessions of at least 6 hours each. But I did spend quite a bit of time looking for some of the blast shards, I think I might have spent an hour or two searching for the last one until I realized it was tied to a campaign mission.

Sorry I meant about 4 hours for each campaign, not 4 hours altogether. Not including spray painting and clearing out the city.

And I am sure a YouTube playthrough of Sunset going from point a to b and no side stuff can be found as well that is closer to 6 hours.

Which is to my greater point, why the fuss over how someone else played and beat the game? Unless that person is you then that shouldn't predicate how you will enjoy it and how long it will take for you to finish.

to be fair, i think the order can only be played this one way haha. there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for expanding the experience, even if you wanted to.

i'm firmly in the camp of not minding the short length of the game, whatever that length may be.

Lagamorph

If what's there is good, then the game doesn't need to be 20+ hours in length.
To me it just means I'll be waiting for the price to drop before picking it up.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

The youtuber didn't do that, though. Also, where as there is nothing else to do in The Order but follow the story where as SSO has a lot of side content and also multiplayer, this probably isn't a particularly good example.

The youtuber didn't do that, though. Also, where as there is nothing else to do in The Order but follow the story where as SSO has a lot of side content and also multiplayer, this probably isn't a particularly good example.

Ok so the sole reason The Order is so talked about is because a youtuber beat it in 5 and half hours and aside from replaying he game for fun there is no incentive to replay?

Huh, and people wonder why the Ubisoft gameplay model is becoming so prevalent.

Top Bottom