• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

we have a joke where someone will post on the website NeoGAF something like "Sony released new screenshots of The Order" and we place bets on what post number we think is going to be the first one where someone says something unfoundedly negative. Like 'oh looks like it's going to be failboat' or something like that, and we'll guess 'maybe it's going to be post 20' and we'll see how close we are.
Some gaffers really are an embarrassment here.

reference: http://www.develop-online.net/inter...y-at-dawn-talks-quality-over-quantity/0203245

Ok so the sole reason The Order is so talked about is because a youtuber beat it in 5 and half hours and aside from replaying he game for fun there is no incentive to replay?

Huh, and people wonder why the Ubisoft gameplay model is becoming so prevalent.

Why exactly does it have to be one extreme or the other? There are lots of games that give good incentive to go back and replay without being tedious.

Ok so the sole reason The Order is so talked about is because a youtuber beat it in 5 and half hours and aside from replaying he game for fun there is no incentive to replay?

For what it's worth, games as streamlined as The Order are almost non existent these days, so it is kind of a shock to people's systems to see.

noshten

1: length is not most important to everyone

2: basing the length on a YouTube playthrough I think at this point has been shown to be not indicative of any game's length. Certainly not for me.

So why so many posts about the length for this game? What is it about this game that generates so much discussion?

Personally the reason I'm not interested in the Order is the QTE and Cutscenes making up so much of the actual game. The fact that cutscenes are unskipable just shows me the type of experience RAD is aiming for.
I honestly love some games that have tons of cutscenes, but I usually skip 99% of all cutscenes because the story outside of the gameplay doesn't interest me most of the time. Witcher 2 is probably the only game where I watched a lot of the cutscenes in my play thoughts.

There is a market for everything but the design of this game is going to turn some people off without ever playing it.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
God damn what the hell is wrong with me?

My first Infamous play was 12-15 hours and the second one still took me 10.

Experiences with games can widely vary depending on the goal set in mind. Some prefer the ends, others prefer the means. Then we have individuals who simply enjoy never reaching the end and remaining stuck in limbo because video game limbo can actually be fun sometimes.

lol

w00zey

Personally the reason I'm not interested in the Order is the QTE and Cutscenes making up so much of the actual game.

Just out of curiosity do you watch them on the first play through? I get skipping cutscenes when I've played the game already but I'm not really one to skip them the first time.

If you think worldwide, consoles have never been dominant and it's hard to imagine they ever will be.

No, they never will be.

At some point in the next 20 years, small devices will be powerful enough to be all in one, with just the display output changing.

If we can get to the point where development can be applied across all kinds of use devices... mobile, on a display, wherever... then we'll really see some cool applications of being able to develop on that scale.

Some gaffers really are an embarrassment here.

Boohoo, opinions differ, some people are positive about a game and others are negative, just get over it already and move on.

NeoGaf should not become some echo-chamber where everyone is only allowed to say how much they love every game and developer. Just because these devs are incapable of dealing with negative opinions doesn't mean that Gaffers that have those negative opinions should be embarrassed or ashamed about it.

I swear to God, these days I see more people whining and complaining about how offended or annoyed they are by what other people have to say than actual problematic / ban-worthy posts. It's okay, be offended, it's just a byproduct of freedom of speech.

I'm honestly looking forward to The Order, and if it's around 5 - 8 hours then, as long as the experience is good, I'll want to play it, but I'm not going to sit here and tell other people they can't dislike the game, just like I don't want them to do the same to me when I'm negative.

I just move over to the next post and continue breathing...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I am not sure I follow? I am just talking about the game length and how it isn't really fair to compare such a focused games with one that is relatively open.

Why does every game have to have an incentive?

Why else would you play again?

For what it's worth, games as streamlined as The Order are almost non existent these days, so it is kind of a shock to people's systems to see.

Maybe so. And maybe it is the by product of me being 31 and been through an era where games cost more and delivered less in many examples, especially when adjusting for inflation. Also as I have become older money is less a concern and time is more so. So my perspective is far different than some others and I get that. However, 40 some odd pages over this games length? Seriously?

I am not sure I follow? I am just talking about the game length and how it isn't really fair to compare such a focused games with one that is relatively open.

Why else would you play again?

Simply stating that evidently for a game to be a desirable today it must have side quests, maybe a morality system, and be open world.

Same reason I replay many of my favorite games, because I enjoy to do so.

Game is gorgeous still blows me a way... don't spoil the experience on youtube/twitch it doesn't do it justice.

It's a shame they get SO much shit, when in such a "scummy-practice" industry (according to gaf) a game kind of overcomes a lot of those issues: no day-one dlc, no invasive dlc, no preorder content that is crucial for the game, no downgrade issues (actually upgrade), actual antialiasing, a very polished experience, no tacked on multiplayer crap, small file size, no huge day 1 update.

I know pricing sucks, but games drop in price and there are other ways to get it while supporting the devs. Don't spoil the whole thing.

domlolz

Banned
1: length is not most important to everyone

2: basing the length on a YouTube playthrough I think at this point has been shown to be not indicative of any game's length. Certainly not for me.

So why so many posts about the length for this game? What is it about this game that generates so much discussion?

So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.

So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.

Actually looking forward to all three. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Korten

Banned
Boohoo, opinions differ, some people are positive about a game and others are negative, just get over it already and move on.

NeoGaf should not become some echo-chamber where everyone is only allowed to say how much they love every game and developer. Just because these devs are incapable of dealing with negative opinions doesn't mean that Gaffers that have those negative opinions should be embarrassed or ashamed about it.

I swear to God, these days I see more people whining and complaining about how offended or annoyed they are by what other people have to say than actual problematic / ban-worthy posts. It's okay, be offended, it's just a byproduct of freedom of speech.

I'm honestly looking forward to The Order, and if it's around 5 - 8 hours then, as long as the experience is good, I'll want to play it, but I'm not going to sit here and tell other people they can't dislike the game, just like I don't want them to do the same to me when I'm negative.

No it's embarassing when it's become expected that if they release something that they will get vitrol about it. That's honestly quite pathetic that they have to expect that- because as all of these threads have proved. It just happens every time. We don't want an echo chamber of all goodness, but this game has attracted so much negaitivity I have never seen before. It's honestly quite baffaling just how much it gets.

It's like the game merely existing they have issue with and they must tell everyone in every thread that. It's really quite sad. I'm getting sick of this whole: "Just get a thicker skin herp derp" nonsense going around. It's like people want to justify people acting like such assholes. I just don't understand it.

noshten

Just out of curiosity do you watch them on the first play through? I get skipping cutscenes when I've played the game already but I'm not really one to skip them the first time.

Last year I played Bayo1/2 and skipped absolutely everything I could. Bayo 2 is still my favorite game of 2014. I've no idea who the final boss was and where he came from and this didn't effect my enjoyment of the game in anyway.
RPGs are usually the only type of games where I don't skip cutscenes during my first play through because it used to be that decisions you make are based on the information which was given to you and could effect the whole game. Usually for most other genres I don't pay too much attention to the plot, since it usually doesn't effect my playthrought too much and you could always return if things don't turn out correctly without losing too much time.

You can practice your freedom of speech and still "be an asshole."

Nobody is advocating the banning of people with negative opinions. Just calling out people with obvious obnoxious no bases ramblings and trolls that are just trying to get a rise out of people that are actually excited.

The mods do a good enough job figuring out what is what.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Simply stating that evidently for a game to be a desirable today it must have side quests, maybe a morality system, and be open world.

But I didn't say that?

Same reason I replay many of my favorite games, because I enjoy to do so.

Wanting to enjoy the game again is an incentive. Other games just have more and better incentives on top of that one.

You can practice your freedom of speech and still "be an asshole."

Nobody is advocating the banning of people with negative opinions. Just calling out people with obvious obnoxious no bases ramblings and trolls that are just trying to get a rise out of people that are actually excited.

The mods do a good enough job figuring out what is what.

That almost never happens around here. Random shit flinging is almost always banned.

cripterion

No it's embarassing when it's become expected that if they release something that they will get vitrol about it. That's honestly quite pathetic that they have to expect that- because as all of these threads have proved. It just happens every time. We don't want an echo chamber of all goodness, but this game has attracted so much negaitivity I have never seen before. It's honestly quite baffaling just how much it gets.

It's like the game merely existing they have issue with and they must tell everyone in every thread that. It's really quite sad. I'm getting sick of this whole: "Just get a thicker skin herp derp" nonsense going around. It's like people want to justify people acting like such assholes. I just don't understand it.

You're kidding right?

And maybe the game wouldn't get so much criticism if they had shown it in a good light. Every demo they brought to conventions and such was described as boring gameplay/cutscenes.
Now people are talking about the game cause of its short length and poor replayability, how's that hating? They should take the criticism, move on and do better with their next game.

By the way, is dynamic destruction still in?

You can't understand that a game that evidently can be completed from start to finish playing in a completely normal fashion in less than 6 hours, of which a significant portion is non-to-barely interactive, and that is being sold on the strength of a story which is apparently left unfinished in a Pilot Episode manner but is being sold at full sticker price can attract negative attention?

Korten

Banned
You're kidding right?

No I'm not. Honestly we have had like what. I swore I've seen like over 6 threads about the Order these past two weeks. Each filled with so much fucking negativity. It's practically become an expectation that every thread of the Order will end the same. Hell it's been like that day one. Most games I've seen don't deal with this much. We had to have a thread close already because of how much shit throwing was going down.

Jesus this Cyncisim culture is getting to me.

You can't understand that a game that evidently can be completed from start to finish playing in a completely normal fashion in less than 6 hours, of which a significant portion is non-to-barely interactive, and that is being sold on the strength of a story which is apparently left unfinished in a Pilot Episode manner but is being sold at full sticker price can attract negative attention?

Your under the assumption that this hate-filled train just started recently. Are people rewriting history? Or did we not have it over the course of months were people go into Order 1886 threads expecting it to turn to shit? Sadly it's getting even shitter.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I remember someone on another forum said that it took them 20 hours to get to the Fall section of The Last of Us. That reminds me of this.

JP

Possibly already mentioned here or in the other Order threads but I've learnt not to read these threads unless I really have to. The US version is downloading for me now (6.44 GB) with a 30 MB update file. It's a total of 31.59 GB for the full download.

Aceun

It's so hard waiting in anticipation for this game and trying to read all the greatness while simultaneously trying to avoid any and all spoilers.

cripterion

No I'm not. Honestly we have had like what. I swore I've seen like over 6 threads about the Order these past two weeks. Each filled with so much fucking negativity. It's practically become an expectation that every thread of the Order will end the same. Hell it's been like that day one. Most games I've seen don't deal with this much. We had to have a thread close already because of how much shit throwing was going down.

Jesus this Cyncisim culture is getting to me.

Your under the assumption that this hate-filled train just started recently. Are people rewriting history? Or did we not have it over the course of months were people go into Order 1886 threads expecting it to turn to shit?

Don't you remember the countless threads filled with trollish comments after the Xbox One got released? Ryse? Destiny?
Those are the one's I can name on top of my head but basically there's always a bunch of threads like this before any big game release.

Most of the time the criticism is warranted.
I remember everyone gushing about the graphics in the other threads but being negative towards QTE's and insta-fail forced stealth sections.

Freeman

Banned
The best incentive to replay a game is for it to be good.

The game I usually replay don't offer me anything extra other than being very good games.

QaaQer

I don't think that's necessary; a utopian world would allow for all types of games.

I think the only issue right now is that AAA is so dominant on consoles in particular. Contrary to popular opinion, the consoles are now pretty narrow in the offerings they provide, and they subsequently appeal to a pretty limited demographic within the now much larger gaming landscape. Consoles were once the place where all gamers came (EA estimated that consoles were ~80% of all gaming revenue in the early 2000s), but that is no longer the case.

I think it's fine for AAA to exist as long as there is room for other types of games to breathe. Right now, that's not meaningfully the case on consoles.

Game developers have a similar siege mentality as the game fans. The haters! They're gonna hate hate hate! Shake em off, game devs.

They kinda have to. Gamers are a little different, compared to say film or book enthusiasts. When was the last time someone working on film or book got death threats?

Dawg

I'm in the progress of writing my review and I'd like to share a small opinion of mine. Feel free to disagree. Trying my best to not break embargo here, so don't expect too much details.

Anyway, I have an issue with "buyer guide" reviews. That is: reviews telling you if the game is worth your money and not whether the game is good or bad. This is a personal thing for sure. I mean... gaming isn't free. Not everyone has the privilege to buy several $60 games every month. So I understand it's important for some people to know the value of a game next to its quality. As a reviewer, I am privileged to try out games for free. So it's easier for me to judge a game on its quality and not its value/$.

That said, I don't like the comparisons people make when we talk about value. Game length is a hot topic right now regarding The Order 1886 and that makes me sad. Kinda. People keep comparing the game to other games. They're not wondering if the length is right for this game. They're wondering why it is shorter than other games. It's unacceptable etc. But that's not the question we should ask. The question should be: does the length work for this game? I'm not gonna answer this question because I can't... not yet... but it's something to think about.

If I buy a really good book for $15 which is somewhat short and then another book which is equally good but ten times longer, I won't be disappointed. They're the same price but they're both good in a different way. I don't view length as something that is so important to the experience. I'd rather read, watch or play something that is really tight yet short compared to a bloated mess that takes forever.

The Wolf of Wall Street is a personal favourite of mine and it's about three hours long. Do I like it more than other movies because of its length? No. In fact, some people think it's way too long. It's the same price as any other movie, but compared to games, it doesn't seem to be as important. Now, I know this is not a 100% fair comparison. A game is $60. Movies and books are way cheaper and less of an investment. It's easier to just focus on the quality here.

But the price doesn't influence the quality of a game, only its "value". Would The Order 1886 suddenly become better if it was $30? No. It would become an easier buy, I agree. But the game quality will not change. Nothing will change. Only your perception. So many people want game to be "art", but it seems there is still a big business side to things that people have issues with. Again, in my opinion people aren't criticizing the game length because they're wondering if it'll work for The Order 1886, but because other games are longer and more deserving of their money. Despite not having played the game. They're only going off a number.

Now, keep in mind everything I wrote here is about the game length. I did not say anything about the gameplay. Don't take this text of mine as proof I think the game is incredible or anything. I'm just saying I disagree with the length drama. Feel free to disagree with me, as this is but an opinion piece of mine.

Top Bottom