• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn (TO 1886) self-publishing its games, hires Paul Sams (Blizzard) as CEO

A pity...I enjoyed the Order overall and it sure looked impressive. Pity they didn't have better game designers. Oh well, seems like the franchise is dead. I wonder if they will even have the same engine for their next game?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Project nx? I'm more interested in the unannounced platform. Or have I missed something. Good luck to them but the order looked awful to me. The psp games were really good tho

aly

I wonder how this will affect the types of games Sony greenlights? I am curious how Until Dawn will fair.

It's pretty obvious what type of game Until Dawn is. I don't think it will face the same type of criticism and problems the Order suffered.

Lunzio

Best of luck to them if all true!

I personally enjoyed the Order and hope the best parts of that game are brought into their future projects.

I don't really see how this is a bad thing, RAD's games can now reach a wider audience and hopefully gain more traction than the Order did.

Shit, If they still own the engine then we can see Order-quality games at a higher frame rates/without black bars on high-end PCs.

GameSeeker

It's dead Jim.

Shinobi knows.

It's not surprising that The Order: 1886 will not get a sequel. Sequels always depend on the first title being a hit and the critical reception by media and customers alike means that sales weren't strong enough to convince Sony to greenlight a sequel.

It looks like RAD will look for new funding sources, own their own IP and go multi-platform in any new games they produce. I wish them luck, but I hope that they take the criticism/feedback from The Order and apply it to any new game they make. Any new IP with the same gameplay will fail as well.

Hopefully Sony got the memo after The Order and Beyond did poorly and TLoU did great.
You can have story heavy games, but good gameplay still needs to be the foundation.

You say memo. but those games were funded before there was even any actual gameplay/vertical slice.

Sony funded The Order based off a pitch with concept art.

I wonder how this will affect the types of games Sony greenlights? I am curious how Until Dawn will fair.

I'd think they will be super frisky on super big bugdets for singleplayer games that are very short. So it gotta need multiplayer or Ubisoft the Game open-world.

Ricky_R

Hopefully Sony got the memo after The Order and Beyond did poorly and TLoU did great.
You can have story heavy games, but good gameplay still needs to be the foundation.

Naughty Dog can't develop all Sony first party games though.

Btw, didn't Beyond sell decently?

True but point still stands. The Order was one of Sony's most important game investments this generation and Until Dawn is their only big exclusive coming up right now and it's got the same 'interactive drama' style of gameplay that worked wonders with The Order. Hopefully Supermassive delivers.

Clearly Supermassive knows what they want. We saw how they promote Until Dawn at PSX and their game focus only on storytelling, not like 1886.

Fury451

Banned
That's The Order as a franchise killed dead in its tracks then.

Yep. That's stated pretty clearly there without actually stating it at all.

I don't really see how this is a bad thing, RAD's games can now reach a wider audience and hopefully gain more traction than the Order did.

Shit, If they still own the engine then we can see Order-quality games at a higher frame rates/without black bars on high-end PCs.

I guarantee that The Order would've bombed hard no matter how many platforms it was released on. It's problems far transcended exclusivity. It would be nice to see that engine in use elsewhere though, I'm assuming Sony doesn't have dibs on it?

I don't think it will at all. Sony, to their credit, and outside of their tent poles, are very willing to let their studios pursue new ideas. It's how they get their "next great IP"

Funding sequels to poor selling games is a different story though.

I-hate-u

Far from Sony's first bomb.

But Sony featured the game heavily in their shows. Based on the ambitions of the dev to push the game as an established IP, I think Sony was looking for another Uncharted-like success for gen8.

Hopefully Sony got the memo after The Order and Beyond did poorly and Bloodborne did great.
TLoU did great because its Naughty Dog, and there is not a lot like them out there. I think Bloodborne is a more apt comparison in what the market salivates for.

It's pretty obvious what type of game Until Dawn is. I don't think it will face the same type of criticism and problems the Order suffered.

I think so too. People were a little down on 1886 before release. It is not the case with UD.

Shifty1897

The Order is the best looking game this generation, I hope they take that engine, apply (employ) some better game design (ers), release on all platforms and become the legendary developer they were meant to be.

But Sony featured the game heavily in their shows. Based on the ambitions of the dev to push the game, I think Sony was looking for another Uncharted-like success for gen8.

So was Ru with his reference of Uncharted 2 as an inspiration.

But alas, it failed to come anywhere close.

this is why you don't make loose endings in your first game, its pretentious and unsatisfying.

that being said, some of the gamelay moments and the tech (graphics, animations, design) were brilliant. Just as story got good though they cut it short.

EGM1966

Sounds like being PS4 exclusive and continuing with The Order isn't a high priority which speaks volumes.

Mind you - I would love to see the tech running The Order on PC so we'll see what they unveil.

Wonder what the other platform is though but I see we have a thread for that!

Anyway good luck to them. I found The Order to be a frustrating mix of good bits and stuff that just didn't feel well enough fleshed out - a real case of showing promise but failing to deliver for me. That's as a game. Tech wise I was pretty impressed with The Order even though in many ways the game didn't seem to showcase all the engine could do in the best light.

Jigorath

Banned

Wasn't that originally a Move game? I doubt it's a very expensive project. Sony isn't even pushing it all that much. It's more like one of those games that's there to fill the gap between major releases.

Capella

Why would they? They already lost out on Sunset Overdrive because of their IP ownership policy, now it appears they've lost out on Ready At Dawn's next IP.
But hey, if that's their policy and it's still working for them, then more power to them. Some developers do like it when the publisher owns and handles the IP (Platinum being the best example of this). But it seems more often then not, devs want to control the IP they've poured hours of hard work into, can you blame them?

How are they losing out on their new IP? The article says they are going multiplatform not that they are skipping the PS4. Plus, this sounds more like Sony killed any chance of a sequel or funding another game after how The Order performed.

They also own Ori. Spencer also seems to be hinting that they're moving towards owning their IPs nowadays.
I think Spencer even said that they would prefer IP ownership over games they fund to build their library.

NastyBook

Damn, that's no good. I enjoyed the game, but it was too damn short. Best of luck to them in future endeavors, though.

Now where will I get my Inidan women fix in gaming?

macewank

Beyond actually did pretty well. And realistically speaking, TO:1886 didn't exactly tank, it just didn't really take off like they thought it would.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bummed we won't get another Order but I look forward to see what RAD does next. Them self publishing is a cool and unexpected move. Hope it works out for them.

I prefer when developers keep their IPs, now, if we want a sequel, we will have to wait until Sony decides it's time for that. It would be better if RAD would have kept their IP, they could have been looking for funding a sequel or sell the IP to someone actually interested in making use of it.

Begaria

I guess The Order: 1886,

caine.jpg

just got '86'd

tumblr_n90q8tBOJg1sxduo6o6_400.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
What a shame. I really didn't care for the Order. I tried really hard to love it. But I found myself bored. And the thing is, I'm totally okay with story driven gameplay. I even enjoyed Heavy Rain / Beyond in parts. But something about the story pacing, and just how each gameplay section didn't come together. :(

I was hoping a sequel would come out eventually and be great. Like Assassin's Creed, the sequel would pick itself up, and really flesh things out. So even though I wasn't a big fan of the Order, this still makes me sad.

Or, at least, you can do scripted heavy, with little interaction games only if you are an "indie". Then people will praise you because you are an artist.
Quantic Dreams games could work well as episodic series, otherwise people will say that they are not games.

I still love my text only adventure games... but I'm afraid that someone could tell me that they aren't games anymore, because someone decided so.

Yeah I know, I'm very bitter about the matter. I just hope that we can be more openminded about different type of games. Damn, when I was a child I had a blast with some old laser games!

Interesting news about their new multiplatform direction. One the one hand it will hopefully allow RAD to be more successful, which is great, but it makes my heart sad that we may never get another Order. I really enjoyed that game, even the cinematic stuff.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Beyond actually did pretty well. And realistically speaking, TO:1886 didn't exactly tank, it just didn't really take off like they thought it would.
It's speculative but I would say Sony wanted this to be a tent pole franchise for the PS4 generation. Now they're out on new major franchise. The own the IP and probably improved engine work but that's a huge loss. The next things up are the RPGs from Japan Studios and Guerrilla. 1886 fell off the charts immediately and I'm positive a sequel would actually sell less units. It wasn't on an upward trajectory. Hence why Quantic Dream had a game incoming with Sony and RAD doesn't. Well, that and QD is incredibly cost efficient. And have a kickass motion capture suite.

Why would they? They already lost out on Sunset Overdrive because of their IP ownership policy, now it appears they've lost out on Ready At Dawn's next IP.
But hey, if that's their policy and it's still working for them, then more power to them. Some developers do like it when the publisher owns and handles the IP (Platinum being the best example of this). But it seems more often then not, devs want to control the IP they've poured hours of hard work into, can you blame them?

Do you think that RaD would have been able to afford to pay for five years making The Order if Sony didn't make the IP-owning deal? And they haven't 'lost' the next game as far as we know, but they clearly weren't prepared to fund it.

Why would you hope for that? Sony isn't going to use it for anything. Far better if rad keeps it to more quickly make their next game.

There's a possibility Sony already own the engine, as part of the IP deal.

watchdog

Interesting news. I certainly hope to see more of The Order on any platform or at least the engine that powered it. :)

FoneBone

Where's the funding supposed to come from for them to publish and own their own IP? If they're intent on maintaining Order-level production values for future games, that doesn't come cheap.

Struct09

The Order is a snoozefest, but I still have faith that RAD can make good games. Curious to see what they come up with.

vypek

Where's the funding supposed to come from for them to publish and own their own IP? If they're intent on maintaining Order-level production values for future games, that doesn't come cheap.

I guess they'll either go with cheaper made games or find a publisher who doesn't want their IPs but will still publish for them

Insomniac basically paid to keep their ip. You should wait at least a couple of years till they announce Sunset Drive 2 before you decided if it was a successful idea. And no, not a lot of devs do this, most shop around for a publisher to sell the ip to, especially when it's a high production development.

Top Bottom