• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

hodgy100

The guy is a twat for sure. But that reads like a pretty genuine apology. not the usual bullshit ones that people in the past have handed out (pewds / jt )

Political discourse could do with people reaching across the aisle more often and yeah this guy was a shit head that didn't realise the kind of influence the things he was doing has, but i think he has realised that now. He's been given a slap in the face of "hey your actions have consequences" and his apology does a lot to shatter the alt rights hive mind that one of their own would publicly state "hey this behaviour was wrong" even if privately he behaves differently.

I think CNN handled this well, they respected his privacy and in the process taught the guy a lesson about consequences.

Not

Banned
If he has kids, they are lost causes too. There's no way his shitty beliefs haven't rub off on them.

This is kind of a crappy thing to say and a huge goddamn leap. Kids are malleable. My empathy for them doesn't go away because their father is a total dickwad. Because for one, I know absolutely nothing about them besides their father is a dickwad.

Relatively well worded apology but it's hard to believe it's sincere with the post history he got. Not sure why he'd have a 12+ months post history of bigotry if it was just for the lulz. Probably only sorry he got caught.

edit: I didn't get he posted the apology after he realized CNN tracked him down lmao. Completely worthless. Probably written by his lawyer or someone with more wits than him.

Relatively well worded apology but it's hard to believe it's sincere with the post history he got. Not sure why he'd have a 12+ months post history of bigotry if it was just for the lulz. Probably only sorry he got caught.

I really don't understand the appeal of trolling, especially the energy and time invested to spend extended periods of time posting absolutely reprehensible vomit.

Jintor

maybe i didn't read the article well enough but i just can't see that cnn blackmailed him. dude ghosted himself as far as i read it.

cnn didn't even do the 'you know it'd be a shame if your personal anonymity got fucked' routine or some shit, i think?

So I'm seeing a lot of people saying this guy is 15 yo, has this been debunked?

It's hilarious how this piece has spread

- "omfg CNN doxxed a kid!"
- "oh wow they released his info?"
- "no but they LOOKED IT UP"
- "... if they didn't publicize it how do you know...."
- "4chan tracked him down!"
- "... so 4chan doxxed a kid?"

This guys is only apologizing because he doesn't want to get doxxed and lose his job. Fucker wrote about stabbing Muslims. He is not a troll. He is not sorry. He is sorry people will find out he is a racist piece of shit, and will suffer the consequences.

These assholes harass and torment women, doxx them all the time, I have no problem with neo Nazis being exposed. Even if they are 15 years old. If you're going to be a violent Neo Nazi then you don't deserve privacy.

Its so ridiculous to even guess his motivations. He's a violent racist. Who cares if its for the lulz? How is that relevant at all? I kill people for the lulz not because I hate them, therefore its okay? What the fuck kinda dumb rationale is that? These people are dangerous. They don't get to say, ' just kidding.'

Imagine this was a (allegedly) 15 year old ,hyper liberal antifa leaning kid that made this a Breitbart meme about Hillary stomping them, President Hillary retweeted... and Breitbart tracked them down, forced them to apologize and threatened to dox them if they continued memeing. They did this publically as a warning to silence others who might meme Breitbart.This is a free speech issue in my mind and a coercion/blackmail one as well. One just might need to step away from biases to see it clearly. I could be wrong,That is just my opinion.

I feel free speech , as provided by and in the bounds of law, is the most important thing. The individuals information should certainly be handed over to authorities privately regarding the other posts should they meet the standard of hate speech and have charges filed, Those posts and the WWF meme are two separate issue in my mind, but I am not a lawyer,

fucking laughing my ass off at "liberal antifa", omg

Apathy

The guy is a twat for sure. But that reads like a pretty genuine apology. not the usual bullshit ones that people in the past have handed out (pewds / jt )

Come on, give me a break. Seriously? It's not genuine, he seems scared that he's been found out. You don't go around calling people niggers and fags and going "lul trolling" as you defence and then instantly apologize because someone made a Twitter image of your remarks.
Holy shit how low is the bar for some of you to actually think shit like this is sincere

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its always nice seeing the slime that supports Donald Trump being the slime we expect them.

caliph95

So I'm seeing a lot of people saying this guy is 15 yo, has this been debunked?
Some say due to a source on pol that is not verified and some are saying he is much older based his post history (which tbf there is a reason it's a meme that lincoln says everything on the iternet is true).

So no one really knows unless CNN confirms it or someone else leaks it though i'm thinking he's not 15.

HStallion

In the end he could be 90 or 9, dude is scum hiding behind an internet tag that is freaking out that his bull shit finally caught up to him.

He's pretty much supports free speech even if he disagrees, i do expect a video tomorrow with clickbait title (i don't even hate him like people on gaf do but fuck those titles)
He doesn't know what free speech means.

It does not free you of consequences.

He is the biggest white moderate I've seen.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I can see how it might have gone down. I certainly don't think the reporter likely went about it with the intent to coerce an apology. Like I said, it doesn't seem to benefit anyone. But I do think that in terms of editorial, stuff like this in the actual article could be worded better:

I think that definitely gives off the impression that CNN is holding his identity to ransom on the condition of his future behavior, which comes off as a really weird thing for a news organization to publish. I'm not crazy right?

That's interesting. You are considering the possibility that CNN is holding his identity ransom? To what end?

hodgy100

Come on, give me a break. Seriously? It's not genuine, he seems scared that he's been found out. You don't go around calling people niggers and fags and going "lul trolling" as you defence and then instantly apologize because someone made a Twitter image of your remarks.
Holy shit how low is the bar for some of you to actually think shit like this is sincere

We don't go around being offensive for lulz but obviously he does.

You cant forever place a black mark on people you have to leave open the option for people to repent and undo the wrongs they have done.

If he's not being sincere then we will probably be found out again. And people will rightfully shit on him. But look at the language look at what he has said. It's a world of difference from the usual " I'm sorry you got offended " type apologies you get.

That doesn't mean he's in the clear and is a good person now. Just that it appears that he realised he fucked up.

You have to give people the opportunity to right their wrongs. if I'm wrong and this guy does shit again then I'm wrong. But its important to give people a chance.

III-V

His identity should have been released simply to avoid the perception of 'ransom' or 'blackmail' as laughable as it is.

And imo, this guys words don't read like a 15 yo. : 'spit out my coffee', 'moon crickets', 'Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel', 'nig-nogs'.

If I had to bet he is a married with children middle age school principle.

You cant forever place a black mark on people you have to leave open the option for people to repent and undo the wrongs they have done.

If he's not being sincere then we will probably be found out again. And people will rightfully shit on him. But look at the language look at what he has said. It's a world of difference from the usual " I'm sorry you got offended " type apologies you get.

That doesn't mean he's in the clear and is a good person now. Just that it appears that he realised he fucked up.

Benefit of the doubt is the ultimate white privilege.

HStallion

You have to give people the opportunity to right their wrongs. if I'm wrong and this guy does shit again then I'm wrong. But its important to give people a chance.

You can most certainly put a black mark on people especially in the US. Our entire prison system is based on leaving a giant black mark on you even if you get out. This guy being a racist shit bag on Reddit isn't a black mark, its just revealing who the fucker really is and now they're scared decent people might not want to associate with a known piece of shit.

It's a world of difference from the usual " I'm sorry you got offended " type apologies you get.

No it's not. From the other thread:

I am in no way this kind of person, I love and accept people of all walks of life and have done so for my entire life.

He's really milking it there. It would seem insincere coming from someone who doesn't post racist bile on a regular basis, let alone a regular on the_donald.

I am not the person that the media portrays me to be in real life

That's him deflecting from the fact that the media wouldn't portray him as a racist if he didn't post a ton of racist shit.

I was trolling and posting things to get a reaction from the subs on reddit

And that's a pretty blatant lie. He was posting plenty of shit among his friends on the_donald.

It has plenty of the standard excuses that we've all heard from cowardly racists who get caught. "It was satire, I was just trolling, I'm not the person the media says I am, I love EVERYONE!"

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
A LOT of side eye going towards the people ITT going on and on about free speech and false equivalencies.

Alucrid

Banned
No it's not. From the other thread:

It has plenty of the standard excuses that we've all heard from cowardly racists who get caught. "It was satire, I was just trolling, I'm not the person the media says I am, I love EVERYONE!"

"One of my best friends is a homosexual and one of my best friends is Jewish and one of my best friends is Muslim."

oh wait he actually said that

What the hell is CNN doing? Either publish the name or don't, not this half-step bullshit. This is really stupid, and all over internet memes.

hodgy100

You can most certainly put a black mark on people especially in the US. Our entire prison system is based on leaving a giant black mark on you even if you get out.

And thats gross too. the US's prison system has it's priorities so out of whack its insane. prison should be about rehabilitation not punishment. and you can't rehabilitate people when you leave them at a permanent disadvantage.

This guy being a racist shit bag on Reddit isn't a black mark, its just revealing who the fucker really is and now they're scared decent people might not want to associate with a known piece of shit.

and hopefully the realisation that his behaviour isnt acceptable and has consequences. will make him change.

Benefit of the doubt is the ultimate white privilege.

and a benefit that should be extended to minorities too.

Feels like once a month a youtube personality gets exposed for having some fucked up views. Maybe this month he'll be outed/out himself.
I wouldn't be surprised when the other shoe drops. Philip DeFranco has done shady stuff in the past other than defending racists based on free speech, but no one made a big deal of it.

Like when he outed a couple of women who hate him, putting them up for harassment by his many fans and contacted their employers until both women deleted their accounts. He's often said he shouldn't be responsible for what his fans do.

C31v9keWAAQHrpW.jpg

C31v-OBXAAUwbQO.jpg

When you're in a position of power and tag someone for others to see instead of dealing with it privately, you're responsible for your fanbase.

Arttemis

It's hilarious how this piece has spread

- "omfg CNN doxxed a kid!"
- "oh wow they released his info?"
- "no but they LOOKED IT UP"
- "... if they didn't publicize it how do you know...."
- "4chan tracked him down!"
- "... so 4chan doxxed a kid?"
Exactly this. How is it so shocking to imagine a reporter looking into the identity of a racist that the President retweeted, find their hateful, disgusting rhetoric plastered all over the internet, discover their identity, and then withhold it on good faith because of an (obviously insincere) apology.

Evidently the reporter shouldn't have looked into his identity... Right? Yeah, right.

This guys is only apologizing because he doesn't want to get doxxed and lose his job. Fucker wrote about stabbing Muslims. He is not a troll. He is not sorry. He is sorry people will find out he is a racist piece of shit, and will suffer the consequences.

These assholes harass and torment women, doxx them all the time, I have no problem with neo Nazis being exposed. Even if they are 15 years old. If you're going to be a violent Neo Nazi then you don't deserve privacy.

Its so ridiculous to even guess his motivations. He's a violent racist. Who cares if its for the lulz? How is that relevant at all? I kill people for the lulz not because I hate them, therefore its okay? What the fuck kinda dumb rationale is that? These people are dangerous. They don't get to say, ' just kidding.'
This. The guy is sick, was thrust into the lime light by the president, journalists investigated, and he spits out an insincere, self righteous apology to stop them from publishing his name.

Seriously.

Its funny how people think this is blackmail.

A. He was able to set the terms of his own blackmail
B. CNN gains nothing from not releasing his identity

Its funny how people think this is blackmail.

A. He was able to set the terms of his own blackmail
B. CNN gains nothing from not releasing his identity

I'm trying to wrap my head around it. It's so weird, like how and why would that be the case. Shit's much weirder than I thought if CNN is blackmailing this guy for... better behavior in the future? I guess? Or is there some other goal that I'm missing. I can't think of what CNN would want, to commit a crime for it.

As usual a lot of people online (and big YouTubers) are under the delusion that the MSM cares about their memes in any way or considers them important at all. This wasn't a Gawker-style violentacruz expose on Reddit users, this was a specific dude retweeted by THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I know we've forgotten that the office is a big deal because Trump is a joke, but interacting with the President in a story that made literal actual international news makes you an involuntary public figure. It should be no surprise that CNN or anyone else would investigate where Trump was sourcing information.

God, get some fucking perspective people.

I'm trying to wrap my head around it. It's so weird, like how and why would that be the case. Shit's much weirder than I thought if CNN is blackmailing this guy for... better behavior in the future? I guess? Or is there some other goal that I'm missing. I can't think of what CNN would want, to commit a crime for it.

The charge is that CNN will attempt to "dox" people who criticize them. That is what they would gain.

I wonder if Trump will be like I WILL DEFEND YOU PATRIOT, REVEAL YOURSELF, dude does, and Trump just bounces like he does every time he says that shit leaving dude holding the bag

Jebusman

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised when the other shoe drops. Philip DeFranco has done shady stuff in the past other than defending racists based on free speech, but no one made a big deal of it.

Like when he outed a couple of women who hate him, putting them up for harassment by his many fans and contacted their employers until both women deleted their accounts. He's often said he shouldn't be responsible for what his fans do.

C31v9keWAAQHrpW.jpg

C31v-OBXAAUwbQO.jpg

When you're in a position of power and tag someone for others to see instead of dealing with it privately, you're responsible for your fanbase.

Out of curiosity I just noticed 5 hours ago on his Wikipedia page someone tried to edit this into the opening summary:

(This piece is a little subjective. Philly D is a great guy. To be honest its hard to tell what way he leans. He isnt big on trump or Hillary, and whenever one side makes a mistake or acts stupid he talks about it. <Dont be stupid, stupid> Give his show a shot, he is really trying to make a non biased news organization for the people. Just think of him has a way funnier but less swag-o-doeshes Ron Burgundy. -M.W.H.)

Exactly like that. Didn't even try to make it look like it fit into the article. Even signed it at the end lol. (I undid his edit)

BigDes

All he has to do for me to start thinking his apology was the slightest bit sincere is to out himself. Now that's not me forgiving him, it is however a small step he could make to start changing and a start moving toward forgiveness.

So far his apology has amounted to him blaming the media and then trying to disappear from the internet. This is not the actions of a repentant man. People giving him the benefit of the doubt here are blowing my mind. He has literally done nothing other than write a few hundred words to explain that he was doing it for the lulz

A person who thinks a gun is a n repellent and rejoiced at the news of half a million dead Muslims and you want to give him benefit of the doubt because he wrote a sniveling apology which tried to shift the blame elsewhere. He has done nothing worthy of forgiveness or that would suggest he is acting with any sort of integrity.

The charge is that CNN will attempt to "dox" people who criticize them. That is what they would gain.

So this would be like a warning to others who criticize their company on the internet who don't post under their real name?

Ok, maybe this story is a bit too dumb for me to pay attention to, my bad.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Except that's a load of horseshit and will never not be a load of horseshit. Those that cry about this the loudest do need to gain some perspective but as long as we're dreaming, someone buy me a goddamn car.

Top Bottom