• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

Lifeline

Again, this is who people are defending
XpNyS3v_d.jpg

iOegD6G_d.jpg

DD8GYsUU0AAT1kY

People need to spread those posts more. The Donald is brigading other subreddits and making it seem like all he did was post harmless WWE memes. They're also saying that he was just a kid, when there's stuff in his post history that make it sound like he was a adult. (Like planning a move in the 90s)

If someone openly calling for murder on the internet is identified, CNN is in the wrong by not identifying him. Don't you think his Black or Muslim neighbors, co-workers, bosses, clients, etc deserve to know they won't be treated fairly by him?

Welp, Trump's son got hold of it now. Only a matter of time before Trump starts latching on to it.

Yes, he is totally a 15 year old.
LHSVdNB.png

I like how he says CNN is bullying him.

Is calling for genocide of muslims not considered bullying? Just playful banter?

Except CNN felt the need to track this guy down because, he made a stupid .gif. At what point do we draw the line? Seems like people cry for privacy but, the second someone goes against the quo they get outted. I don't have sympathy for the racist troll but, it's still the principle of the matter. Why go through the effort of tracking him down just to expose him?

If you don't understand why they investigated this you've lost all perspective.

Imm0rt4l

This is really the hill y'all want to die on. For a lot of you, this is nothing but a thought expertinent, and you're failing at it horribly.

Dierce

Except CNN felt the need to track this guy down because, he made a stupid .gif. At what point do we draw the line? Seems like people cry for privacy but, the second someone goes against the quo they get outted. I don't have sympathy for the racist troll but, it's still the principle of the matter. Why go through the effort of tracking him down just to expose him?
Is there any other way to rid the world of this white nationalist assholes? They already have white privilege on their side and feel completely safe from any external threats. They need to learn that their bigotry has serious consequences.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. The apology is presented synonymous with him stopping hate posting. If he doesn't do it anymore the story is over. If he continues to post stuff the story continues and they can't guarantee they won't release his name.

Thats the literal definition of blackmail but, it's ok because it's CNN and they can't do no wrong. Presumed guilt or apparent innocence should not be the deciding factor as to whether a news corporation uses their considerable resources to track you down, and then publicly threaten you in a news article.

All is well until CNN decided to talk about his identity. CNN asked for it when they decided to talk about revealing his identity should he create memes again.

Hilarious!! A news media getting rustled over memes. MEMES!

GrapeApes

They're not saying that though. They're specifically referencing his apology, saying that if any of that changes they're witholding the right to publish the name.
The way it's written is terrible but doesn't change my point. If this story continues CNN still as the right to reveal the information. If this guy commits an act he was fantasising about or if he starts becoming a more public figure. CNN is being too decent here.

Jintor

to quote him, like any other journalist would do

that he flipped out and realised that means he was trackable is on him

Hilarious!! A news media getting rustled over memes. MEMES!

memes are just floating units of thought, all is memes

Lifeline

Thats the literal definition of blackmail but, it's ok because it's CNN and they can't do no wrong. Presumed guilt or apparent innocence should not be the deciding factor as to whether a news corporation uses their considerable resources to track you down, and then publicly threaten you in a news article.

Something tells me you won't have a problem with this when a ISIS supporting douchebag talks about killing all white people and how Christians need to die.

The media shouldn't reveal his identity. He is just a kid who dabbles in a bit of ISIS meme.

If you don't understand why they investigated this you've lost all perspective.

Honestly the guy exercised his first amendment right to free speech and is now being threatened over it. He posted a meme about CNN and they went after him? The comments he made online are a completely different topic than a .gif that started all of this.

anyone believing that apology for one second needs a wake up call

you don't post for weeks about how you hate islamic pieces of shit and n-ers and celebrate that your meme got retweeted by the president and then as soon as people start investigating your account you pull out an apology

give me a fucking break

The Kree

Banned

Your principles are being wasted on a person who likely wouldn't extend the same courtesy to you. Whatever moral victory you think is awarded is meaningless outside of your own head.

Kinyou

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. The apology is presented synonymous with him stopping hate posting. If he doesn't do it anymore the story is over. If he continues to post stuff the story continues and they can't guarantee they won't release his name.
I guess that's a possible interpretation but if that's what they meant they could have worded it a lot better. Hell, just strike the final sentence and it's fine if you ask me.

Arkeband

Banned
Again, this is who people are defending
XpNyS3v_d.jpg

iOegD6G_d.jpg

DD8GYsUU0AAT1kY

Because the story can change. If someone else reports his information and the story becomes bigger (let's say Trump comments on it). Do you think CNN should not report it because of some promise they made to HanAssholeSolo?

I don't know why they had to include that in the first place, is that a legal disclaimer? If it's a legal disclaimer, it can't be helped, but even the BBC story I read on this makes it sound like the author regrets the way that part sounds.

rakhir

Hat are you even saying? They specifically did NOT expose him. And they looked into the guy that work the president of United states used, found out all the vile shit in his post history, and looking at things they figured out who he is. I really doubt they started this thing wanting to expose him out of spite.

moomoo14

Some of y'all are being a bit absurd here. A major news organization is getting rustled over a meme (that isn't even particularly edgy. Like, it seems pretty standard internet humor to me) and literally went to the effort to find who made it and write an article about it. And made sure to write about how they had the right to tell the entire planet who made it should he keep on meme-ing.

How in the world is that ok? Like, it's a random person on the internet. Whatever. Be the bigger person and move on. Stuff like this will only make people trust you as a news organization even less.

Honestly the guy exercised his first amendment right to free speech and is now being threatened over it. He posted a meme about CNN and they went after him? The comments he made online are a completely different topic than a .gif that started all of this.

You're missing the part where the image he made was released, publicly and officially, by THE WHITEHOUSE and THE PRESIDENT OF THE United States OF AMERICA.

Be angry at Trump for making this guy an involuntary public figure, opening him up to the questions of "where does our President get his propaganda?"

Like come on, get some perspective, there is literally no one in the United States MORE newsworthy than the President and everything he does, talks to, retweets, and touches.

Dierce

Being able to say anything you want doesn't excuse you from dealing with the consequences. This is precisely what the right wingers are trying to change, make racism and sexism an acceptable common occurrence.

Some of y'all are being a bit absurd here. A major news organization is getting rustled over a meme (that isn't even particularly edgy. Like, it seems pretty standard internet humor to me) and literally went to the effort to find who made it and write an article about it. And made sure to write about how they had the right to tell the entire planet who made it should he keep on meme-ing.

How in the world is that ok? Like, it's a random person on the internet. Whatever. Be the bigger person and move on. Stuff like this will only make people trust you as a news organization even less.
1) the people who have lost faith in the mainstream media are never getting it back again anytime soon and this won't change that

2)
iOegD6G_d.jpg

XpNyS3v_d.jpg

3) it takes two seconds to find out who made the meme, this isn't some ultra leet hacking operation

Psst. The First Amendment is about the government not being able to stop speech. CNN is not the government.

Steel

Banned
I don't know why they had to include that in the first place, is that a legal disclaimer? If it's a legal disclaimer, it can't be helped, but even the BBC story I read on this makes it sound like the author regrets the way that part sounds.

That is what it is, yes.

GbiIu91_d.jpg

The memes are the real news story!

Ah yes, let's go through post history of everyone that posts at The_Donald and threaten to reveal their identity. That's going to make the public respect you more.

Whatever the case is, going after trolls is going to attract more trolls. The internet is a vile place and trying to dox everyone is just going to piss them off more.

Let me point out once again that this same person made a compilation image of all the Jewish employees of CNN with their names and presented it to a community of anti-Semites.

pick my half assed sarcastic frustrated reply

1) he's just asking questions

2) white moderates in action

Look at the replies:

Ethan Klein‏Verified account @h3h3productions 11h11 hours ago
Replying to @PhillyD @CNN
Wtf?! Why are they acting like he committed a crime?

Sooo....racism and bigotry is only wrong if a crime is committed. YouTubers stay being trash.

Please tell me this is a joke post.

Ah yes, let's go through post history of everyone that posts at The_Donald and threaten to reveal their identity. That's going to make the public respect you more.

I mean legally they could probably do that since it's a public forum, but they wouldn't (and haven't.) This is newsworthy because the President got involved, that's why they investigated. This should come as no surprise to...anyone.

Jintor

i hate to tell you this, but tracking down minor meme creators and writing articles on them has been journalism for like at least two-three years if not longer

and when your meme is a) retweeted by the president b) who has a history of crapping on your network and c) has a history of saying plausibly deniable stuff that skirts dangerously close to egging on actual violence, some might say newsworthiness has descended from upon high

Look at the replies:

Ethan Klein‏Verified account @h3h3productions 11h11 hours ago
Replying to @PhillyD @CNN
Wtf?! Why are they acting like he committed a crime?

Sooo....racism and bigotry is only wrong if a crime is committed. YouTubers stay being trash.

as soon as ethan started ranting about sjws I bailed

other people were like "yeah but the one person he made fun of is actually crazy! this doesn't mean anything"

same shit, different person/day

Free speech doesn't give you a free pass to say anything you want without any consequence at all.

This is a consequence of exercising your right to free speech.

Ghazi

Regardless of all the awful stuff he's posted, it's still pretty bad that CNN shared that in their statement or even did it in the first place. Another thing to consider is that if CNN managed to figure his identity, anyone could've if he hadn't deleted his account after the fact so he should've been more careful about sharing personal information if he was going to behave in a way that he didn't want to be held accountable for it in real life.

i hate to tell you this, but tracking down minor meme creators and writing articles on them has been journalism for like at least two-three years if not longer

and when your meme is a) retweeted by the president b) who has a history of crapping on your network and c) has a history of saying plausibly deniable stuff that skirts dangerously close to egging on actual violence, some might say newsworthiness has descended from upon high

In "the business" it's called being an involuntary public figure.

Something tells me you won't have a problem with this when a ISIS supporting douchebag talks about killing all white people and how Christians need to die.

The media shouldn't reveal his identity. He is just a kid who dabbles in a bit of ISIS meme.

"You're either with me, or you're against me" You can't win with that kind of logic. I don't support CNN tracking someone down so therefore I have no issues with racists.

Your principles are being wasted on a person who likely wouldn't extend the same courtesy to you. Whatever moral victory you think is awarded is meaningless outside of your own head.

Am I not allowed to have an opinion and share it now? That is the purpose of having an opinion. If you could read you'd see I don't have sympathy for the racist but, it's the principle of the matter. The ends dont justify the means.

caliph95

While i question the relevance of this like i wonder why CNN felt the need to. I doubt it would be especially difficult, he was bragging about it and some subreddits noticed it so he didn't make it hard to find.

Top Bottom