• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

When CNN literally says in their article that they have the right to reveal his or her identity if he or she retracts statements they made, then can you blame me for coming to the conclusion that they're threatening him or her? That's what it sounds like to me. It sounds like blackmail.

Initial conclusion, no. Sticking by it after being pointed out that's false? Yes.

*Sigh* I don't get y'all. I don't think news organizations should be threatening to reveal people's identities for saying random things on the internet.

Being retweeted by the President might cause this sort of thing. Newsworthy events cause journalists to dig.

When CNN literally says in their article that they have the right to reveal his or her identity if he or she retracts statements they made, then can you blame me for coming to the conclusion that they're threatening him or her? That's what it sounds like to me. It sounds like blackmail.

I can fault you for not having the best reading comprehension skills. But if you aren't doubling down then we can all move on.

I think it's worth mentioning this isn't some random animated gif, but one that was officially sanctioned by the President of the United States.

It's kind of elevated a bit above CNN being petty about a big meanie on the Internet when the President of the United States comments on it.

CNN: If you publicly behave like shit we will call you out on it.
HanAssholeSolo the_donald: Hey! That's blackmail!

HanAssholeSolo: Hey! That's blackmail!

More like "if you publicly insert yourself back into the national conversation by continuing to do the thing that got you media attention in the first place, we will comment on it."

The only reason they gave him an out is because if he stops doing it then he's not part of the story anymore.

But it's not blackmail. They found a subject's identity. As a news organization, they have a right to publish that information (Reddit TOS notwithstanding). They are not, because the guy just isn't that newsworthy and it isn't really appropriate. But they do retain that right - and if his identity becomes relevant they will publish it. He might have a problem with it, but it's not blackmail.

Just so we're clear guys, the First Amendment exists to protect CNN in this circumstance, not to protect this guy for running his mouth online.

Please excuse me for my ignorance, but would someone explain to me why people are up in arms over a wrestling gif or is it more than the gif?

I haven't watched any news over the holiday, so I'm completely lost when I saw the news this morning.

Thanks.

III-V

Woke up today and this human trash pile is now a victim. Stay classy USA. Amazing how the right stays winning even in defending the face of vile blatant bigotry.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ahh got to love all the people coming out of the wood work to shit on CNN for doing their damn job. Guy made political propoganda, CNN followed up on the story and found out who he was and then suddenly its all,"CNN IS DOXXING PEOPLE! THOSE HYPOCRITS! FAKE NEWS!". Let me guess, some of you are also the same people who freak out when a liberal punches a Nazi.

The Kree

Banned
More like "if you publicly insert yourself back into the national conversation by continuing to do the thing that got you media attention in the first place, we will comment on it."

The only reason they gave him an out is because if he stops doing it then he's not part of the story anymore.

CNN found a way to legally silence a virulent racist without violence or litigation and we somehow found a way to chastise them for it.

Amazing.

Woke up today and this human trash pile is now a victim. Stay classy USA. Amazing how the right stays winning even in defending the face of vile blatant bigotry.

ksbp.gif

A reminder that this guy is the one who initially put the spotlight on himself.

“Holy s---!! I wake up and have my morning coffee and who retweets my s--tpost but the MAGA EMPORER himself,” the Reddit user wrote. “I am honored!!”

- Redditor comes out to take credit for the gif
- CNN follows up on the story, reaching the Redditor who claimed responsibility
- Redditor realizes the spotlight he asked for could be traced to his real life and shits himself, knowing how reprehensible his posts are.

Thanks, this is more accurate.

- Redditor realizes the spotlight he asked for could be traced to his real life and shits himself, knowing how reprehensible his posts are.

Clearly this is a person who lacks an understanding of second-order consequences.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

No you see they were doxxing and black mailing him all at the same time.

That's exactly how it read. So what. They were being extremely kind not to reveal this persons name or their other posts. He didnt deserve it and I hope that CNN has learned that nobody who posts what that person did EVER deserves anonymity.

CNN fucked up big time by not nailing this piece of shit to the wall with his own posts. I'm sure they have learned their lesson. Not only do these people not deserve any type of protection, but by not exposing him they have brought trouble upon themselves. Unless they are total morons then they will never extend this courtesy to another user again. They shouldn't have this time.

MUnited83

For you.
So that suddenly makes it ok to go after people for views? False equivalency doesn't suddenly mean witch hunts are ok, because their views are worse than ours. We need to be consistent and follow the principle of freedom of thought.
Dude has borderline posted about commiting a terror attack himself. "Difference of views" my fucking ass.

Steel

Banned
Please excuse me for my ignorance, but would someone explain to me why people are up in arms over a wrestling gif or is it more than the gif?

I haven't watched any news over the holiday, so I'm completely lost when I saw the news this morning.

Thanks.

The guy has posted about wanting to shoot N-words and stab muslims and how 500k muslims dying would only be a start.

p2535748

The whole "free speech" stuff is so frustrating too, because it's so often used by people in the alt-right to not face consequences for what they say. Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences. CNN isn't stopping this guy from saying anything he wants. He's shitting himself and apologizing because he may actually face the consequences of his speech, which is a very different thing.

Thanks.

The guy who made it has a long and disgusting history of racist posts about Jews, African Americans, Muslims, ... Look around in the thread and you'll find pictures of it. Basically this has become another story of "look where Trump's getting his material from".

That's exactly how it read. So what. They were being extremely kind not to reveal this persons name or their other posts. He didnt deserve it and I hope that CNN has learned that nobody who posts what that person did EVER deserves anonymity.

CNN fucked up big time by not nailing this piece of shit to the wall with his own posts. I'm sure they have learned their lesson. Not only do these people not deserve any type of protection, but by not exposing him they have brought trouble upon themselves. Unless they are total morons then they will never extend this courtesy to another user again. They shouldn't have this time.

Dude was newsworthy enough to find, but honestly not newsworthy enough to out. They could reveal his name (and let people whine about "doxxing") or choose not to (and let people whine about "blackmail"). Honestly, I think the former creates more backlash.

Of course some people have figured out how to jump on them for doxxing *and* blackmail. That one's a mystery to me.

Right. It's all well and good. However, like I stated, going after a troll is just going to attract more trolls. CNN got lured into this and they bit. Now they're going to see the affect of it.

Streisand effect in full order at Reddit right now.
Disagree. Trolls shouldn't be protected for their belligerent actions. There are consequences. I'd say these consequences are pretty damn tame compared to the ultimate troll which was getting Trump elected. You have to take responsibility for your shitbaggery. You can't hide behind anonymity or some lame claim that is was a troll/prank/whatever. Tough shit.

marrec

Banned
Again the really funny thing is that CNN isn't going to bat to stop people from being racist, they don't care at all. Your Reddit karma doesn't worry them. They investigated this dude because he was made a public figure by virtue of creating something the President publicly posted through official white house channels and Twitter accounts that are literally confirmed to be STATEMENTS OF THE PRESIDENT.

Like, CNN doesn't care about your racist memes. They don't care about exposing racists. They don't even care about your shitty jewish hate images about CNN employees. They checked this guy out because the President made him a public figure, full stop.
Yep, dude became a matter of public interest and CNN did what journalists do and investigated the matter.

Whys anyone confused here?

I am enjoying the fact that this dude is sitting at home shitting his pants right now that people are going to find out his identity. No way this person went to work today. He's at home right now trying to fight his way through panic attacks and just praying the the_donald and all of the other conservatives would shut the fuck up before they ruin his life :D

He tried to get out of this, and maybe he thought he saw a glimmer of hope, a little speck of light at the end of the tunnel. "Maybe this will all go away". Nope. His own piece of shit conservatives are going to ruin his life.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Plot twist:

Dude's a Russian who is afraid he'll be snuffed out for attracting attention.

Either way, fuck him. Stand by your shitposts. There was no comedy in any of that nonsense.

Cheezus

I'm still confused about why the identity of a guy who made a GIF is important enough to publish in a news article. He might be a neo-nazi or a KKK grand wizard but if the shoe is on the other foot, is it still acceptable? Would Trump and Fox News be in the right if they "reserved the right" to publish the ID of someone making critical GIFs of them?

I'm as liberal as they come but this doesn't feel right. It looks petty and vindictive.

I'm still confused about why the identity of a guy who made a GIF is important enough to publish in a news article. He might be a neo-nazi or a KKK grand wizard but if the shoe is on the other foot, is it still acceptable? Would Trump and Fox News be in the right if they "reserved the right" to publish the ID of someone making critical GIFs of them?

I'm as liberal as they come but this doesn't feel right. It looks petty and vindictive.

Because Trump tweeted it as an official statement of the White House read the fucking thread dude.

I hope everyone remembers this the next time anyone tries to tell you that Reddit isn't literally a haven of bigots and bigot-sympathizers.

I havent kept up. So basically the guy shit himself and apologized once he realized people IRL could find out he is a neo Nazi?

Fucking LMAO.

He took credit for the GIF and has essentially inserted himself as part of the President's social media messaging. No one else is to blame for making him news beyond Trump and himself. Becoming involved with how POTUS addresses the citizenry isn't penny ante shit. It's a big deal.

Barzul

He didn't just make a gif. He advocated for mass killings of minorities and was a racist shithead. I would see him exposed because anonymity on the internet is not a right you are guaranteed.

Socivol

HanAssholeSolo the_donald: Hey! That's blackmail!

I really don't understand this blackmail nonsense. People on Twitter are talking about a First Amendment violation by CNN for putting his name out there. Don't stay stupid offensive shit if you don't want to back it up under your true identity. Trying to hide behind an online persona just shows that he knew what was being said was fucked up to begin with.

Top Bottom