• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

Raven117

Gold Member
Yeah, I mean...when I first heard about this, and "CNN Blackmail" I thought...is CNN just taking mercy on this idiot who is obviously trying to stay anonymous?

If CNN is trying to effect social behavior by specifically saying "we will make your info public if you dont' recant" then yeah, I have a problem with it.

More than likely, CNN (a major news outlet), probably just took it easy on the guy and let him melt away.

Not sure what is the correct move on CNN's part.

Anion

I hope another outlet exposes this tool.
Wouldn't surprise me as this is why CNN doesn't care to take the hit. Some other organization or individual can take that hit. CNN just put a target on him at this point lol

Heck, detective GAF should do it

Anyone give a quick update on what happened?

dude posts CNN Gif, president retweets it, CNN find original author, finds racist stuff he posted on Reddit. Redditor apologizes?

Joeku

Yeah, I mean...when I first heard about this, and "CNN Blackmail" I thought...is CNN just taking mercy on this idiot who is obviously trying to stay anonymous?

If CNN is trying to effect social behavior by specifically saying "we will make your info public if you dont' recant" then yeah, I have a problem with it.

More than likely, CNN (a major news outlet), probably just took it easy on the guy and let him melt away.

Not sure what is the correct move on CNN's part.

They could have done nothing at all because obviously t_d would find a way to twist it to try to make them the bad guy, but if a reputable journalism outlet just decides to do nothing for fear of backlash from shitty people, why do anything at all? They did the reporting and threw the shitheel a bone. More than he deserved, but there you go.

dude posts CNN Gif, president retweets it, CNN find original author, finds racist stuff he posted on Reddit. Redditor apologizes?

*Once the President became enamored with this GIF, someone in his team embellished it with audio and the President tweeted it.
*It was discovered that a private individual created the original GIF.
*Since this was now news, CNN did their typical investigatory process and located the individual who created the original GIF.
*CNN is not Reddit and suffers no ramifications in revealing the individual's name.
*CNN realized that releasing this person's name could be detrimental to that person's life and livelihood. They announced that a retraction would de-escalate the situation and they would consider the story concluded.

BigDes

The best part of all this is that he basically admits it's just shitposting and trolling. Which is what I suspect almost all of the the_donald really is... people posting for the LOLZ.

The entire thing is a horribly done joke just like our President.

No. He is using those as an excuse to pretend he isn't a vile racist.

This isn't a 15 year old LBGT youth who has to go out and fight bears to protect his wheelchair bound family who are also dying of super cancer with an edgelord sense of humour, no matter the claims of alt right shitstains. This is a middle ages man who regularly posts the vilest, most racist shit imaginable on his account for years.

Stop letting these people have an out and realize that these people hold these opinions genuinely. This wasn't posting for the lulz, this was hate.

*Once the President became enamored with this GIF, someone in his team embellished it with audio and the President tweeted it.
*It was discovered that a private individual created the original GIF.
*Since this was now news, CNN did their typical investigatory process and located the individual who created the original GIF.
*CNN is not Reddit and suffers no ramifications in revealing the individual's name.
*CNN realized that releasing this person's name could be detrimental to that person's life and livelihood. They announced that a retraction would de-escalate the situation and they would consider the story concluded.

Did they release his real name or just his Reddit name?

Raven117

Gold Member
They could have done nothing at all because obviously t_d would find a way to twist it to try to make them the bad guy, but if a reputable journalism outlet just decides to do nothing for fear of backlash from shitty people, why do anything at all? They did the reporting and threw the shitheel a bone. More than he deserved, but there you go.

We are agreeing, I think. I certainly hope it wasn't because CNN is concerned about retribution though. We are all effed we have the reddits and 4chans of the world able to successfully threaten major news networks.

Did they release his real name or just his Reddit name?

Just his Reddit name. They declined to release his real name because he wants out of the game and apologized, but if he continues to make himself newsworthy by virtue of continuing to do the stuff that got him newsworthy in the first place they reserve the right to change their judgement. As a general rule, openly stating that you retain the right to change your actions if things changes is not blackmail. It's merely a statement of fact.

Joeku

We are agreeing, I think. I certainly hope it wasn't because CNN is concerned about retribution though. We are all effed we have the reddits and 4chans of the world able to successfully threaten major news networks.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If they (or any other major press outlet) were concerned about retribution for publishing what they do, they didn't let it get in the way of the reporting.

I honestly believe that they didn't because they wanted to give an old man a break or found out that aside from his generic racism he isn't particularly interesting or newsworthy.

Clearly, yeah. The dude ain't shit and knows he ain't shit so he prostrated himself as hard as he could.

BigDes

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If they (or any other major press outlet) were concerned about retribution for publishing what they do, they didn't let it get in the way of the reporting.

I honestly believe that they didn't because they wanted to give an old man a break or found out that aside from his generic racism he isn't particularly interesting or newsworthy.

Half the posts in this thread just reinforce the idea that bigotry and hate don't matter at all to people who aren't targets.

Country's fucked

Yup pretty much.

People expect to literally say anything online and have zero consequences. The internet is freaking out because some racist bigot was "revealed" and they don't like it.

In the course of investigative journalism, information is uncovered. It's the process. It's also the norm, when that information is uncovered, for it to be made public when it has relevance to the story.

In this case, Trump shared a dumb meme of him beating on CNN, that was made by a 30-something internet troll. This guy freaked and got super excited in r/The_Donald that the "EMPORER" had shared his gif on Twitter.

CNN's investigators did their usual job in a situation where something like this was making huge strides in the news. They dug (not very far) and found out this guy's information, and reached out to him for comment. The guy immediately realized that the veil of anonymity he used was suddenly stripped away and he panicked. He deleted all of his reddit comment history then deleted his account (He had some winners, like how when he travels to the south he takes his gun with him because it's "n****r repellent") and wrote a public apology to try to get ahead of the whole thing.

Now, CNN has every right to publish this person's information. They are party to a story that has gained traction on tons of news networks, regardless of the fact it's aimed their way. What CNN has said, instead, is that instead of going down the normal route of investigative journalism, they've decided this party doesn't need to be made public in light of the fact he's apologized, shown remorse, and has basically done all he can on his side to maintain his anonymity. They're stepping back from the publication process, and in publishing their statement regarding this guy, suggesting in a way that other journalists should do the same. There's nothing that stops someone from the WSJ or Fox News from doing the same rabbit hole research CNN has done to find this guy and publish his identity. CNN further went on to say that, should this guy do something newsworthy in the future, that fact may chance. If he doubled down and decided to become part of the narrative of the story again, they'd publish his information. That's the gist of what they were putting forward.

I don't think it was blackmail in any way shape or form.

Too sensible for this internet discussion.

I'm also amazed at the sentiment "The internet isn't really filled with racists, it's just filled with shit-posting nihilists who want to hurt people's feelings for laughs." Like, how is that better? And I agree with Mammoth, why is it always and only a free speech issue when it comes to white nationalists?

Yup pretty much.

People expect to literally say anything online and have zero consequences. The internet is freaking out because some racist bigot was "revealed" and they don't like it.
And he wasn't even revealed, just told that if he popped up in the news again he might be, and even that was too much.

remist

I can't believe people are defending CNN here. It absolutley makes sense to investigate the source of the things the president tweets and much of the information uncovered is interesting and concerning but the specifics of this reddit users identity has absolutley no probative value to the story. The decision for a reputable news source to dox a private individual should be based on whether the information is probative and in the public interest not contigent on anything CNN refers to in the previous paragraph before the threat.

BigDes

I can't believe people are defending CNN here. It absolutley makes sense to investigate the source of the things the president tweets and much of the information uncovered is interesting and concerning but the specifics of this reddit users identity has absolutley no probative value to the story. The decision for a reputable news source to dox a private individual should be based on whether the information is probative and in the public interest not contigent on anything CNN refers to in the previous paragraph before the threat.

What is the user's name?

He's not a private individual. He admitted he made the gif publicly. He admitted to CNN he did this stuff. You have no right to anonymity over your words and actions when you claim them.

this is not really shocking based on your other posts I've seen

remist

What is the user's name?
The only reason I can think of it being relevant is if he was already a public figure or an agent of a party or government ect. But that clearly isnt the case here or CNN would bother with the vaugue language.

I believe that it's absolutely in my interests as a person of color to know if this Reddit user is in a position to carry out on his threats to cause ne harm. Really amazing to me that there are people who don't see how harmful it is to not only have someone making terrorist threats against you on the internet but to have that person recognized by the President of the United States as someone worthy to quote.

BigDes

The only reason I can think of it being relevant is if he was already a public figure or an agent of a party or government ect. But that clearly isnt the case here or CNN would bother with the vaugue language.

Where does the user live?

Just his Reddit name. They declined to release his real name because he wants out of the game and apologized, but if he continues to make himself newsworthy by virtue of continuing to do the stuff that got him newsworthy in the first place they reserve the right to change their judgement. As a general rule, openly stating that you retain the right to change your actions if things changes is not blackmail. It's merely a statement of fact.

Cool, thanks.

I believe that it's absolutely in my interests as a person of color to know if this Reddit user is in a position to carry out on his threats to cause ne harm. Really amazing to me that there are people who don't see how harmful it is to not only have someone making terrorist threats against you on the internet but to have that person recognized by the President of the United States as someone worthy to quote.

This. Imagine he's a cop. Or a teacher. Or a loan officer. Or one of many positions to fuck minorities over on a daily basis.

But let's be honest....let's be really honest...the type of people defending this dude don't really care about that actually happening. Not to mention the unconfirmed possibility of it happening.

remist

I have no problem with them refering him to the police if they think he is a threat. Publicly doxing him doesnt do anything helpful on that front or provide anything probative related to this story.

What they should do is alert the local authorities about him in case he ever does decide to act out on these violent fantasies.

If I heard a neighbor talking about shit like this I'd be on the phone. This goes for jihadists and left wingers like that guy who shot Scalise, don't just assume they are harmless trolls.

If this guy had spray painted a Trump meme on a cardboard box and put it in the center of town and people started talking about it, the news would likely find who did it and print their name. Why should anonymity be guaranteed just because it's on the internet? People need to realize that posting on the internet is like shouting in public with a mask on; someone might come and yank that mask off. CNN is doing this guy a big favor not revealing who he is.

Donald Trump's entire time in office has been one of trying to demonize the press as fundamentally corrupt and untrustworthy.

The wrestling gif when posted in isolation is relatively harmless, but nothing is done in isolation. When you look at how this was retweeted by the standing President of the United States in the context of his open hostility toward the press, and a GOP who already have one member of congress on video body slamming a reporter, it is starting to look a lot like an open incitement to violence toward the Press.

Something I am sure you will agree is hugely concerning when coming from the United States government itself.

Solid post

A lot of people are seeing this as a giant corp bullying an anonymous troll who was just experimentally making posts to see how far he'd get. It to absolve him of accountability and people are more willing to see this as evil corp vs private citizen

What donald is doing is much more sinister in normalizing the media as untrustworthy

Alucrid

Banned
it's ironic that the greatest threat to him being doxxed is being caused by the racist morons he was high fiving just a few days ago

Redditor apologies, deletes everything he wrote. CNN withholds his name. For some reason people thing this is doxxing (it wasn't) or blackmail (it isn't) or both.

Nepenthe

A middle aged white man who said all manner of heinous things that- had the targets been white people- would've made his defenders and t_d aghast, and who purposefully put himself into a news story by claiming credit for a work that's central to it, didn't actually get doxxed.

And yet somehow he's still the victim.

This is what white privilege is, GAF. Stop engaging in it.

Top Bottom