• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
CNN should drop this. It feels childish to state that they CAN release his name if they wanted to. The kid apologized, clearly didn't expect this to blow up the way it did, and now has his own people turning on him. I think the lesson was learned.

45 year old kid.

SMH.

Chumley

Banned
I misread the second post at the top of this page thinking he was agreeing with DJT Jr. I admit when I'm wrong / make mistakes.

Wasn't arguing, just stating my opinion. Got some key information wrong though which changes my opinion on it, but it doesn't look like GAF is going to let me. :)

You know the saying think before you speak? Replace speak with post. Good life lesson.

I'm not sure I'd use the word blackmail but it seems like a thinly veiled threat predicated on the individual's behavior. Conditional mercy has the same function as a threat, no?

No. It's just reserving the right to change your mind if you find out you've been lied to.

Phased

blatant racism
fxOE70o.jpg

“FBI stats don’t lie n-----. You hood rats account for more that 50% of the murder, rape, robbery, and assault in the USA.”
“I just like dancing when n------ are getting beat down by the cops.”
who_removed.jpg

blatant semitism and actual doxxing
HanAssholeSolo-1.jpg

anti-muslim
"Starbucks coffee tests positive for fecal bacteria...could it be....MUSLIM IMMIGRANT HIRES?"

anti immigrant:
HanAssholeSolo-4.jpg

Why're you concerned so about him and not the people he's been harassing for 18 months?

I'm not defending the things he posts, nobody could. I'm saying "this is ok because I don't like him" is the same line of reasoning people use to justify harm on others.

How we treat and deal with people who disagree with our views is an indicator of who we are.

He took credit for making a gif the president of the United States tweeted out. They followed up to get a comment from him. He didn't want to be identified and also issued an apology because his shitty internet views would negatively impact his life and family in the cold hard streets of the real world, so they aren't going to release his name.

They reserved the right to publish who he is in the future so if he comes up in another news story they can go, "this is the dude who made that gif and had all that racist hate speech on his reddit account btw". They aren't going to say, "we aren't going to release his name and never will" because they don't know what the future holds. There's nothing stopping him from making a new reddit account and going back to exactly the same behavior without outing himself anyway.

Yeah, I don't know what the actual big deal is?

Hahaha at people defending this asswanker. Zero sympathy. Don't say vile shit if you're not ready to stand by it when caught, nazi fuckers.

Of course they are defending him. Mostly because they are subconsciously scared that the vile racist things THEY'VE posted online will comeback to hunt them too.

FyreWulff

people are losing the plot, what about all the folks who have to live with the hate this dude perpetrates daily, where's the sympathy for them or even people in communities where they need to be anonymous because dad hates gays or their country kills them?

Chumley

Banned
I'm not defending the things he posts, nobody could. I'm saying "this is ok because I don't like him" is the same line of reasoning people use to justify harm on others.

How we treat and deal with people who disagree with our views is an indicator of who we are.

Incitement of terrorism is a "disagreement of views"? Or do you want to just go ahead and say he's not a terrorist because he's white.

For me, the baffling thing is that CNN handed Trump and co a load of ammo over nothing. When trump posted that gif, it never occurred to me to wonder where it came from. I didn't really need to know, and thanks to this unforced error, the already-ugly war on the press is reaching a fever pitch.

???

No one is advocating harm coming to this person. If he is physically assaulted or emotionally harrassed due to this, I'm sure most of us would agree it's wrong. However, HE said all of that shit. He actually said it. He did. Turns out there are (and need to be) consequences such as losing your job etc. Tough shit.

Yawn! More preachers from the sidelines is exactly what the world needs right now, huh?

Tell that shit to people who glorify genocide.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

But this is literally a news organization doing what news organizations do. Do you consider the gawker article about the guy who created the jailbait subreddit to be doxxing? You're genuinely trying to downplay the severity of a grown man saying he'd assault muslims with concealed knives by chocking it up to "people we don't like." Call the fucking spade a spade. It's not just a "person we don't like." It's a guy who's been harassing people for over a year and straight up making threats to minorities.

Nah, you're just more upset at non-existent blackmail/doxxing than about Trump ONCE AGAIN co-opting the "work" of internet Neo-Nazi's.

Priorities, man.

Of course they are defending him. Mostly because they are subconsciously scared that the vile racist things THEY'VE posted online will comeback to hunt them too.

That is definitely the undercurrent on Reddit itself, which is a lot more accepting of the blackmail narrative than here.

Seesaw15

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

lol

Chumley

Banned
6JKiQxh.png

This is never going to stop being relevant as long as Trump is in office.

The murder of blacks and Muslims is just "a disagreement of opinion".

Yamauchi

Banned
The user's racist remarks are disgusting and indefensible. I hope he feels like an idiot.

CNN's behavior is also both surprising and uniquely dangerous. It's almost identical to the illiberal mob bullying of the far right and far left on social media and other segments of the internet, yet it is being committed by a major media organization.

Calling for violence against entire groups of people of colors, and spreading neo-nazi propaganda is NOT just a different "View".

You can Fuck right off with that bullshit.

Phased

Incitement of terrorism is a "disagreement of views"? Or do you want to just go ahead and say he's not a terrorist because he's white.

What on Earth does his skin color have to do with literally anything here. Take that garbage narrative somewhere else.

If he planned or committed a terrorist act he's a terrorist regardless of skin color, but just being a racist dick doesn't make you one.

Publicizing who this is is simply a consequence of participating in such heinous activities. It is not somehow an inequality. He chose to spend his time creating bigoted, dangerous propaganda, promoting other people's similar propaganda, getting his propaganda growth to the point of being utilized by the leader of the country, &participating in communities that discussed terrorism and violent retribution against disenfranchised groups and minorities. And the response would be making his identity public. How is that somehow an unreasonable fallout for such behavior?

For me, the baffling thing is that CNN handed Trump and co a load of ammo over nothing. When trump posted that gif, it never occurred to me to wonder where it came from. I didn't really need to know, and thanks to this unforced error, the already-ugly war on the press is reaching a fever pitch.
Their clips are always loaded, one bullet more or less means squat. They always have ammo, everything is ammo. For others to not give them ammo is to drop dead. Breathing is ammo to them.

At least this way you lure them out and see with what kind of deplorable shit we have to deal with.

Fisty

Unmask the fucker. Unmask all the fuckers. I want these people tarred and feathered in the streets. I want people side-eyeing them in church. I want their bosses to fire them for being scum.

It's only a "threat" for CNN to name him because he knows he will be ostracized and humiliated in public.

What on Earth does his skin color have to do with literally anything here. Take that garbage narrative somewhere else.

If he planned or committed a terrorist act he's a terrorist regardless of skin color, but just being a racist dick doesn't make you one.

I bet you make the exact same argument every single time an ISIS supporter tweets incitement to violence, right? Need to be balanced and tolerant of others' views, after all!

L Thammy

Look at it this way.

1. Member of the press is bodyslammed by a Republican.
2. 40-year-old child makes GIF of Donald Trump beating up a figure with "CNN" over their face.
3. Donald Trump retweets the wrestling GIF.
4. The news picks up the story and discusses it.
5. CNN investigates and contacts the 40-year-old child, gets details, and intends to report on it.
6. The 40-year-old child issues an apology and deletes his blatantly racist history.
7. CNN chooses not to withhold certain details of their reporting to prevent the 40-year-old child and his family from the aftermath of the incident, assuming that the apology was sincere.
8. CNN states that they are willing to release the information they withheld as they originally intended, should the apology that lead them to their previous decision end up being insincere after all.​

That's my understanding of the situation; it seems less nefarious this way.

Chumley

Banned
If he planned or committed a terrorist act he's a terrorist regardless of skin color.

So you didn't read the comments and are just talking out of your ass, then. Unless you don't classify murdering blacks and Muslims on the streets as a terrorist act.

CNN's behavior is also both surprising and uniquely dangerous. It's almost identical to the illiberal mob bullying of the far right and far left on social media and other segments of the internet, yet it is being committed by a major media organization.

But...it's not. And nice job on the both sides do it.

The user's racist remarks are disgusting and indefensible. I hope he feels like an idiot.

He would've been publicly outed and shamed immediately for your false equivalency to be even a little bit true.

Unmask the fucker. Unmask all the fuckers. I want these people tarred and feathered in the streets. I want people side-eyeing them in church. I want their bosses to fire them for being scum.

It's only a "threat" for CNN to name him because he knows he will be ostracized and humiliated in public.

Yeah, that's what gets me.

"Boo hoo. I said violent and racist things thinking I was doing so in secret, but I was wrong because I'm so dumb I share personally identifying information in the same account I use to call bullets "nigger repellant." Oh dearie me, someone found out and I was almost, can you believe it almost, forced to face the consequences of my actions, except they took pity on me and let me slide this time. I'm such a victim!"

Always trying to find the centre ground.

Desperately seeking for it, deluding yourself that if you extend understanding to the virulent racists and bigots that they'll change and become better people.

Cowardly.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

So CNN contacting the guy to talk about it ahead of time and making an agreement with him is identical ot the illiiberal mob bullying the far right (who deserve to get shit for their "beliefs") and the far left (???) on social media? Man are you serious?

Uh, what? They gave him a second chance instead of ruining his life, which is what you'd be crying for if they had reported his name in the first place. They're under no obligation to give him a third chance and said as much.

Alienous

I don't agree with 'doxxing', for as trite an argument it is I do think there's a slippery slope involved in whose information is subject to reveal. I don't agree but I understand the logic of deciding to rob from someone the anonymity they use as a shield to hide behind whilst spewing threats and other vile shit.

I think there's a further problem with deciding to make the doxxing of a person conditional. Then it feels like a weapon being wielded. It's reinforcing the idea that public doxxing should be off of the table in general, to me.

L Thammy

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't t_d upset at the apology earlier on? I imagine that HanAssholeSolo is between a rock and a hard place here. He can't return to the online communities he cared for before, at least connected to the same identify, because even if CNN doesn't do anything then he's a cuck. Like, I don't think they really care about defending one of their own as to show that lamestream media is an evil empire who bullies honest, hard-meming racist white LGBT children.

moomoo14

I understand the jobs and friends bits, but maybe there shouldn't be calls for violent things like "tarring and feathering" people when we decry people for using violent language on the internet.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't t_d upset at the apology earlier on? I imagine that HanAssholeSolo is between a rock and a hard place here. He can't return to the online communities he cared for before, at least connected to the same identify, because even if CNN doesn't do anything then he's a cuck. Like, I don't think they really care about defending one of their own as to show that lamestream media is an evil empire who bullies honest, hard-meming racist white LGBT children.

He could just become "ChewBlaKKKa" or some shit and keep posting racist shit. Hell, he probably already has.

Why bother changing for the better when half of society has your back and is willing to attack the news for doing its job

If how we treat people we disagree with is an indicator of who we are, then I think CNN comes out looking remarkably well here, because they treated this guy far better than he deserved. Other outlets would have doxed him without hesitation. If the shoe was on the other foot and he was an Antifa liberal criticizing Trump his face would be plastered on right wing media 24/7 with not so subtle calls for his assassination.

Azuran

Banned
CNN should drop this. It feels childish to state that they CAN release his name if they wanted to. The kid apologized, clearly didn't expect this to blow up the way it did, and now has his own people turning on him. I think the lesson was learned.

LMAO

Everything about this post is something else. If I give you my PayPal address, would you send me $100? I promise I will use them to cure cancer.

I think the ethics of the scenario are pretty shitty. If the information was released what's the chance he'd receive threats? Is there evidence that people in the alt-right have received threats similar to the ones female internet feminists have been given?

I don't agree with 'doxxing', for as trite an argument it is I do think there's a slippery slope involved in whose information is subject to reveal. I don't agree but I understand the logic of deciding to rob from someone the anonymity they use as a shield, behind whilst spewing threats and other vile shit.

I think there's a further problem with deciding to make the doxxing of a person conditional. Then it feels like a weapon being wielded. It's reinforcing the idea that public doxxing should be off of the table in general, to me.

Doxing implies malicious intent. CNN hasn't shown any at any point, the racist cunt asked them not to release his identity and they didn't, but if he chooses to expose himself to make a quick buck or another news organisation releases his identity, CNN will very likely report on it.

Think.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think the ethics of the scenario are pretty shitty. If the information was released what's the chance he'd receive threats? Is there evidence that people in the alt-right have received threats similar to the ones female internet feminists have been given?

Well I'm sure they face lots of death threats when they fall out with their Alt Right buddies.

Y'know, it's only hard right wingers who are referring to the racist cunt as a kid.

If i might offer some advice, adiet of right wing bullshit isn't good for you.

Top Bottom