• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you swall... nevermind.

Wait, i didn't say it's the same guy, i was asking if it was. Right, i meant this Doctre81 guy... If it's not the same guy, ignore my post obviously.

Seems to be the same guy from a bit of googling. What this means I have no idea as I've never heard of him until now.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hawaiian Islands GPU
Quad core Piledriver at 1.8 Ghz
4GB DDR3

All with Nintendo's trademark secrecy and fans debating whether it was stronger than the PS4 and Xbox One for years.

Unfortunately that's much more believable considering the company that's making it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Because if you've just had a massive failure, what you do is the exact same thing all over again.

I think it's not entirely improbable that Nintendo thinks that delivering a machine with PS4/Xbox One level of performance would be enough. They have repeatedly said in the past that they are not interested in competing at a technological level.

I think it's not entirely improbable that Nintendo thinks that delivering a machine with PS4/Xbox One level of performance would be enough. They have repeatedly said in the past that they are not interested in competing at a technological level.

Thank fuck my employer decides that they need to be technologically forward thinking. 😂

I can't imagine the engineers at Nintendo wanting to use all these cool new technologies, with upper management shutting them down.

cyberheater

Thank fuck my employer decides that they need to be technologically forward thinking. 😂

I can't imagine the engineers at Nintendo wanting to use all these cool new technologies, with upper management shutting them down.

I've read this quite a few times and still don't know what you are getting at?

OryoN

Yep, the GameCube was such a masterpiece when it came out. I still remember the jaw dropping graphics of metroid prime especially when fighting ridley and it was all 60fps. Do you see the nx doing anything out of the ordinary when it comes to "exotic" hardware? Edram for higher bandwidth? Anything?

I truly believe GameCube was the "perfect" hardware solution for Nintendo. They didn't brute force anything, but the real world performance was so incredible. I think one key component that made that all possible was the Mosys 1T-SRAM(the CPU & GPU were no slouch either). I remember Factor 5 was praising how amazingly fast it was, saying that they were caught by surprise, because they were already feeding the system huge amounts of data, yet, the more they fed it, it just kept blazing through it all. The access speed was just incredibly fast, like cache, some said.

I'd like to see Nintendo pursue a similar solution again. Embedded memory on the GPU for Frame buffer and other stuff, and a sizeable super-fast system memory for graphical/low-latency tasks, with an additional large pool of slower memory to handle slower/higher latency stuff(streaming, sound, etc). This strategy allowed them to create affordable, yet, very high performance hardware. I know they were worried about the cost of such exotic memory going forward, but I'm sure it could be cheaper now, and they could probably get by with less total memory than current consoles(eg: 64MB embedded, 1GB fast mem1?, 4GB slow mem2).

It's not like those 8GB of current gen significantly boosted their performance, but - in theory - is a bottleneck since the disc would take a long time filling just a fraction of that. Apple's iPhone gets by with a seemingly meager amount of system memory compared to Android devices, because what they have is tuned for performance, rather than brute force. Not sure why Nintendo abandoned GameCube's exotic memory solution when it produced such great result for decent cost, and a lot less silicon. I'm as curious as you about whether such a design is feasible this time around.

Karanlos

So I've constructed an image from all these verified leaks on reddit into a realistic rendition of the new NEX/Extra:
rTZVa4P.png

Banned
God the GameCube was a technological masterpiece in design, price and specs. That controller was good too. But the games were where it's at

I've read this quite a few times and still don't know what you are getting at?

Engineers like cool new technologies. They want to implement all of those things because it's fascinating to them. Especially for the younger employees. But Nintendo upper management probably handicaps them to older technologies to save on R&D and BOM.

LCGeek

formerly sane
DrTre? Do you know DrTre, or did he release some info or did he just "guess" something correctly?

I'm assuming this is the same DrTre that ran amok on the IGN boards for the past 15 years, and what i've read of him, he's just a raving fanboy with no actual sources. I've seen him on Gaf the past few months and (going on his reputation on the IGN boards) i actually assumed he would have been banned by now. But he's posted in this thread so he's definitely around. Basically AceBandage x10.

PS: DrTre, no offense meant, nothing personal, but i just remember some really fanboyish discussions back on the IGN boards from you. If i recall correctly, usually with that guy with the Indiana Jones avatar.

One in the same, yes I know he overdoes it. To be fair the oblivion point isn't that bad, factor 5 said Wii was where the lair engine on PS3 started, shows you how well nintendo is at managing things. Some people thought Wii would get love he was one of those, not me I've been bitching about sdk/dev issues since N64. He actually sorted me going between the two Wii Skus or lead to me having arguments with ign, ubisoft and another source before I went to my own and just chose what seemed plausible. Where he gets stuff from I don't know but like I sad Wii was full of leaks at this point.

Peterc

Most people are talking about tech power. Maybe I'm not the only one, but I'm ok wirh it if can show slightly better gfx than ps4. For the rest I'm not that interested in the details, it's what it can do on screen that counts.

One other thing that I like to mention. Iwata told us before we wouldn't expect a traditional console like ps4 or xbox1.

This is what he said before:

Satoru Iwata was asked by one of the shareholders in relation to the transition from the current consoles up the NX. come “can not talk about NX” , Iwata said. “If we did, our competitors could copy our ideas and consumers would not be surprised.

“However, if you only expand upon existing hardware, it’s dull. In some shape or form, we’re always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person’s video gaming life.”

That's where I'm interested in :)

TimeInc

Will interesting to see this when it's revealed as is always the case with Nintendo, however the controller looks terrible.... I selfishly wish they were just a software company and they were making their games on the hardware of PS4/Xbox One to see what they could come up with.

Most people are talking about tech power. Maybe I'm not the only one, but I'm ok wirh it if can show slightly better gfx than ps4. For the rest I'm not that interested in the details, it's what it can do on screen that counts.

One other thing that I like to mention. Iwata told us before we wouldn't expect a traditional console like ps4 or xbox1.

“However, if you only expand upon existing hardware, it’s dull. In some shape or form, we’re always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person’s video gaming life.”

You can do both though. Nintendo only does one: changing their video gaming life. You can do that and be technologically competent. See: Apple.

cyberheater

Engineers like cool new technologies. They want to implement all of those things because it's fascinating to them. Especially for the younger employees. But Nintendo upper management probably handicaps them to older technologies to save on R&D and BOM.

Yes. I can understand that.

LCGeek

formerly sane
You can do both though. Nintendo only does one: changing their video gaming life. You can do that and be technologically competent. See: Apple.

Nintendo lost it's path I'd argue since optimal media came out, but that was a separate issue from power/features as it's storage. Yet be it power or storage the subject highlights how they aren't always the most savvy or worse their profit motives get in the way.

They are capable and Iwata is gone so I doubt they are interested in repeating his mistakes or naiveness. I love iwata but really didn't like how he had insane arguments that flew in the face of reality and history eventually. Company has the means and the money to make it happen, but resolve is a component they have never been good at.

Pinky

Banned
Will interesting to see this when it's revealed as is always the case with Nintendo, however the controller looks terrible.... I selfishly wish they were just a software company and they were making their games on the hardware of PS4/Xbox One to see what they could come up with.

You've seen it, huh? Wanna share some pics or info with us then?

Pokemaniac

Nintendo is fairly technically competent. Their software is some of the most technically competent stuff in the industry. Just because they've been shipping weaker hardware doesn't mean they're not technically competent.

Peterc

Could you tell us something about the controller?

Thanks !

What controller?
Lol

Proelite

I did some research and I have a pessimist version of NX hardware in case anyone is interested.

It's made with the assumption that Nintendo will keep TDP and BOM budget down by having small form factor and using the old 28nm fab process. Same scenario as the Wii-U except without having to provide for BC and an expensive tablet.

Anyone interested?

Kurt

Nice, can you show us a picture of this controller?

Nintendo is fairly technically competent. Their software is some of the most technically competent stuff in the industry. Just because they've been shipping weaker hardware doesn't mean they're not technically competent.

Nintendo software may be technically competent, but their hardware definitely isn't.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
LCGeek, I asked this earlier, and I'm going to ask again: do you know anything about the handheld component of NX? Any info on it?

Rodin

I did some research and I have a pessimist version of NX hardware in case anyone is interested.

It's made with the assumption that Nintendo will keep TDP and BOM budget down by having small form factor and using the old 28nm fab process. Same scenario as the Wii-U except without having to provide for BC and an expensive tablet.

Anyone interested?

Personally, i don't think the scenario will be exactly like the Wii U except those two things (as in, i don't see them going for 33W peak again), but of course, go ahead. Will be interesting to read, and maybe will help in lowering expectations, which are going a bit too high imho.

Nintendo software may be technically competent, but their hardware definitely isn't.
That's one way to look at it. Focusing on small form factor and low tdp with outdated node (45nm) is very stupid, but better overall performances than PS360 at 33W is still impressive in its own way.

hyrule-grass.gif

One of their studios did this with said 33W piece of hardware.

Silkworm

Update 9: Remember what i said: "There is a Nintendo Direct planned before the Nintendo Investor meeting."Nintendo will announce it within the next few days. One of the highlights: "Star Fox news"
Nintendo of Europe (UK) teasing Star Fox: http://i.imgur.com/x6CftTS.jpg
What I always wanted! A Star Fox branded game with only on foot missions focused exclusively on the misadventures of Krystal. So this is what Retro was up to! Krystal to be the Samus of the NX generation ;-)

Peterc

Nintendo lost it's path I'd argue since optimal media came out, but that was a separate issue from power/features as it's storage. Yet be it power or storage the subject highlights how they aren't always the most savvy or worse their profit motives get in the way.

They are capable and Iwata is gone so I doubt they are interested in repeating his mistakes or naiveness. I love iwata but really didn't like how he had insane arguments that flew in the face of reality and history eventually. Company has the means and the money to make it happen, but resolve is a component they have never been good at.

Sony used eye toy, move and psvr.
Ms used smart glass and kinect.

Nintendo are not the only ones that try innovations, but they are mostly first.

But, they should launch a console with a traditional controller that has enough power. And like wiifit move and kinect, sell their surprise separately. That way nobody has to use it. Third party or console owners.

I think they don't need to stop doing that, otherwise I think the game industry gets very boring.

Just because they willingly took the underpowered/cost efficient route doesn't mean they are not able to come up with a powerful machine.

I'm not talking about the company. They're a multi-billion dollar company, no shit they can come up with a powerful machine.

Nintendo hardware is not technologically competent. I never said "Nintendo hardware team is not technologically competent."

If you know anything can you please say if they're still using edram or esram 32/64 more than likely the latter for 1080p, or are they using regular ram like the ps4?

Anyone interested?

me

Proelite

Personally, i don't think the scenario will be exactly like the Wii U except those two things (as in, i don't see them going for 33W peak again), but of course, go ahead. Will be interesting to read, and maybe will help in lowering expectations, which are going a bit too high imho.

50W TDP peak. 35W for the SOC.

2 x 4 core module PUMA 1.8-2.0GHZ
512:40:16 GCN 1.2 gpu at 800 mhz. 800 gigaflops. Might be 10CUs 1 teraflop if they clock the cpu lower.
32mb Edram 256-512gb/s
8GB of DDR4 on a 128bit bus. 50 gb/s

This is the ABSOLUTE minimum that I think you can except from NX, if Nintendo decides to cheap out again.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Sony used eye toy, move and psvr.
Ms used smart glass and kinect.

Nintendo are not the only ones that try innovations, but they are mostly first.

But, they should launch a console with a traditional controller that has enough power. And like wiifit move and kinect, sell their surprise separately. That way nobody has to use it. Third party or console owners.

I'm not against gimmicks, but Wii as architecture walked away from being even what the nes was to the market in terms power had me irking for ages. Nintendo as a company that came out of the arcade era should've known better, yes consumers love good experiences but you have to means of making a product that gets there. Priorities became skewed the last decade instead of balance between both it became gimmicks and then lets fit hardware to it or lets barely make any improvements at all. Even for nintendo that's some bullshit and the company should be called on it.

Satoru Iwata was asked by one of the shareholders in relation to the transition from the current consoles up the NX. come “can not talk about NX” , Iwata said. “If we did, our competitors could copy our ideas and consumers would not be surprised.

“However,* if you only expand upon existing hardware, it’s dull.* In some shape or form, we’re always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to*change each person’s video gaming life.*”

These are the kind of quotes that feed my perception bias of it being some kind of smart device peripheral that streams games.

Mpl90

512:40:16 GCN 1.2 gpu at 800 mhz. 800 gigaflops. Might be 10CUs 1 teraflop if they clock the cpu lower.
32mb Edram 256-512gb/s

This is the ABSOLUTE minimum that I think you can except from NX, if Nintendo decides to cheap out again.

A comparison with PS4 and Xbox One, to give a better perspective?

MCN

Banned
If you know anything can you please say if they're still using edram or esram 32/64 more than likely the latter for 1080p, or are they using regular ram like the ps4?

I don't think he knows anything. I just don't think he got the memo about the controller leaks being faked.

Proelite

A comparison with PS4 and Xbox One, to give a better perspective?

CPU is 20-30% stronger than that of Xbox One.
GPU is 62-77% of Xbox one in raw specs. But due to newer architecture most likely 80-90%.
Ram amount is the same. So porting should be quick.
Total system bandwidth should be similar to Xbox one.

Overall this system is probably a 5-7 times more powerful than Wii-U. Which is enough to run Wii-U titles in 1080p 60fps with some room for improved graphics.
Ports from Xbox One and PS4 will have lower resolution / paired down effects, but the gap from PS4 to Xbox one would be bigger than from Xbox One to NX. OS would run smoother than PS4 / Xbox One due to the stronger CPU.

System form factors would be pretty big due to the DDR4 ram. Somewhere between PS4 and Wii U in size.

This is the absolute minimum that I would expect from Nintendo.

Can yall please explain what is slightly better graphics than the PS4 exactly? What does that even mean?

Mpl90

Sorry misssed it, no afraid not.

Mmmh, I suppose your team / your friends' team (can't actually remember specifically) didn't ask for the handheld dev kit due to, maybe, developing a game that can't be scaled down for the handheld then? Just suppositions :p

Thanks for the answer.

32mb Edram 256-512gb/s

Hoping they avoid 32mb edram then. The xbone had 32mb esram and that wasn't enough to saturate full 1080p for most games iirc. It was years ago but we had a discussion that if it was 64mb it would've been more than enough for 1080p. Regarding RAM I would rather they go with 6gb for example (Might be problematic with multiplats if the os takes 2-3gb worst case scenario) and use that bom for faster ram 180gb/s+ 4.5-5gb for ram is more than enough for Nintendo games, it's not like Mario or Metroid need to be open world. More bandwidth (if the gpu is capable of high bandwidth) would be my dream scenario for the new Nintendo system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom