• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even mad about this.
1. It takes away additional computing stress from the Switch.
2. I always have my iPhone 6S Plus on me and I use it to tweet, text, look up FAQ.
3. I'm not worried about lack of battery as I have an external battery charger.
4. I would be using Apples Airpod so I'm good on the wireless portion.
It might be fine for you but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's Nintendo trying to be different in their typical backwards way. This app could be great and i know i said i would hold judgement,but the more i think about it the more stupid it sounds.

TS-08

The rewards are granted, not enforced. The subscription, the paywall for accessing the functionalities is enforced.

What's stopping Nintendo from only allowing you to receive your game for free if you purchase it through the app, as you initially implied they may only allow all matchmaking through the app after the full version releases? And what's the functional difference between "grant" and "enforce" with respect to your argument.

My point is that you suggested the app may be required for something you know is not stated on the online services web site, and is in fact contradicted.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What's stopping Nintendo from only allowing you to receive your game for free if you purchase it through the app

That would assume that app has also an eshop component. Sure, it's possible, but Nintendo already has a dedicated service for rewards, My Nintendo.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
As someone who hates constantly backing out of my game on PS4 to manage my party/messages and all that shit, it doesn't wholeheartedly destroy my dreams like it seems to be for others either, but it certainly needs an explanation to prove to us that it can still be an elegant solution. I'm not saying people who are mad are wrong, I'm just saying it's not a deal-breaker for me and I could see it working fine.

Guess what: Sony HAS an app for smartphones that does exactly this! The difference is that it's an option, I can voice chat THROUGH THE PS4 and view my messages on my phone.

2. I always have my iPhone 6S Plus on me and I use it to tweet, text, look up FAQ.

giphy.gif

MUST BE NIIIICEEEEE

El Topo

If a smartphone is not required for voice chat, surely this should be very easy for Nintendo to clear up, no?
"A smartphone is not required for voice chat. You can use a headset with your Switch for that."

Who is this really going to impact in the end? This isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things (especially since we don't know the full details). Yes, it will impact some, but I want to see how it plays out.

That's not coming til the end of the year anyways. Nintendo needs to explain it, but focus on selling systems which should be easy the first month. After that they want it to turn into a demand for casuals to want to buy it so they have a nice install base to attract some more western third party devs.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What's stopping Nintendo from only allowing you to receive your game for free if you purchase it through the app, as you initially implied they may only allow all matchmaking through the app after the full version releases? And what's the functional difference between "grant" and "enforce" with respect to your argument.

My point is that you suggested the app may be required for something you know is not stated on the online services web site, and is in fact contradicted.

And even if the rewards would be handled also through the smartphone app, where's the contradiction? How does this invalidate the matchmaking?

XandBosch

Guess what: Sony HAS an app for smartphones that does exactly this! The difference is that it's an option, I can voice chat THROUGH THE PS4 and view my messages on my phone.

Agreed, and I do use it. I was just pointing out that I can see it working, it's not a be-all-end-all situation for me like it seems to be for others.

As someone who hates constantly backing out of my game on PS4 to manage my party/messages and all that shit, it doesn't wholeheartedly destroy my dreams like it seems to be for others either, but it certainly needs an explanation to prove to us that it can still be an elegant solution. I'm not saying people who are mad are wrong, I'm just saying it's not a deal-breaker for me and I could see it working fine.
This is where I stand too. But still, gotta love GAF meltdowns on Nintendo news

We don't know if we can't voice chat through the Switch. It has a input for headset and mic.

Agreed, and I do use it. I was just pointing out that I can see it working, it's not a be-all-end-all situation for me like it seems to be for others.
In the end it won't be a big deal. Either people will hate it and don't purchase it or some will. If I have to pay for online then well what can I do? Everybody else does that and I can't blame them for it.

All I care about is the amount of games and quality of games.

shandy706

1. My Xbox One has a Kinect, which does this as an actual accessory.
2. I can snap apps on the X1 so I don't even need my phone to do those things.
3. I don't need a battery to chat or do anything else with the X1.
4. I don't even need a headset with the X1 (with Kinect). Without Kinect the X1 controller is a wireless chat receiver...no extra hardware.

Nintendo is doing all this backwards, this whole phone to chat/lobby up thing is crazy, lol. It's should be an option ONLY.

Having said that...I'll just be using the Switch as a mobile system anyway...and don't care about chat/multiplayer on the go. Heh

We don't know if we can't voice chat through the Switch. It has a input for headset and mic.

This seems to be the main argument that's been going in circles for quite some time now. We have two main facts that people keep falling back to:

- Nintendo/Reggie have stated that voice chat/matchmaking work through the dedicated app.

- Nintendo/Reggie have not given us any details about built in OS functions besides a brief glimpse of the "home" screen.

Based on point number 1, it seems highly likely that the OS itself won't allow for voice chat. This isn't confirmed, but we have enough information to make an assumption (right or wrong).

My bet is that we'll have a Direct soon that details the OS for day one. It doesn't seem likely at this point that they'll say the Switch can do voice chat without the app, but it's on them to clarify that either way. Either way, you can't really blame people for assuming that voice chat can only be done via the app.

Oresama

In the end it won't be a big deal. Either people will hate it and don't purchase it or some will. If I have to pay for online then well what can I do? Everybody else does that and I can't blame them for it.

All I care about is the amount of games and quality of games.

Hopefully it's just ONE app and not three like PlayStation.

I agree that it's best if it were optional.

TS-08

The matchmaking is per game basis. That's why I said that maybe the future games after the app is out could use it for everything.

You were suggesting it would be required, and that that was an example of the app enforcing the subscription. I'm not sure how else I'm supposed to interpret that than you suggesting that I have to have the subscription to use the app, and I have to use the app to utilize the subscription, such as play online as before the app.

This is where I stand too. But still, gotta love GAF meltdowns on Nintendo news

Wouldn't be a meltdown if Nintendo was more clear about their hardware like Sony/MS usually are. We new about their OS 6 months before launch yet we sit here 5 weeks before launch of Switch and none of their features for their system are clearly explained.

Edit: I know Nintendo defense force thinks this is not a big deal but for a lot of us who are used to seamless online interaction with our friends, this is a huge deal. It's tough for me to get my friends together anymore on the same couch Playing smash bros, Mario kart, splatoon and some of their awesome multiplayer games because we're all in our 30's married with kids and live away from each other. For my friends and I who all have ps4, we finally thought switch would get Nintendo up with the times and actually support a good online OS. It's a big deal breaker for us.

Ziocyte

The MOST elegant solution is to have this functionality on the system. The Switch is such a beautiful piece of hardware. A self contained console and handheld. Forcing users to pull out of that box sounds like a misstep. I say forcing because if the app is functional, I might actually use it.

I posted this earlier, but my dream scenario is this:

1) Get a text from a friend "Getting on Splatoon in 5min". This is how 95% of my sessions with friends on Xbox happen. They start in text when nobody is on their system yet.

2) Tap the app and build the party chat. Boom, we are talking.

3) Power the console out of sleep mode and launch the game from the app so it is ready and waiting as I walk into my living room.

I would use this... but to omit this functionality from the system entirely seems so odd.

TheFuzz

The fact that a thread about "how we are going to play Nintendo games online in 2017" is at 80 pages and 4000 replies is a story in and of itself.

This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Nerazar

Random dude : "So can we expect voice chat"
Reggie : "Yes, through the app"

tumblr_m7swmtmv7n1rn95k2o1_250_zps880b4a1e.gif

Reggie really likes to push the app and make it seem very important. If Nintendo goes that route, they may force people to sign on the app to unlock VC on the Switch, for example. For me, this is more of an attempt to put that new solution in the foreground than an explanation of the details.

He is basically repeating himself throughout all interviews.

mnannola

Would love to see a video of this that makes this look like a cool feature. I can't see anyway this isn't a sub-par experience compared to just including this functionality in the Switch OS.

data

Did he just say you need to use the app to voice chat? What. This is so weird, how will you hear the game audio?

I dunno why all the defensiveness. As it was explained, the whole thing sounds pretty bad, period. The only way Nintendo actually changes it (or at least explain it better, if it is not as bad as it sounds), is by voicing the discontent.

As a Nintendo fan, I`m not giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one. They`ve failed one too many times when it comes to online functionality to be given the beneift of the doubt.

Nerazar

The fact that a thread about "how we are going to play Nintendo games online in 2017" is at 80 pages and 4000 replies is a story in and of itself.

This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Yeah, people like to overreact on the internet. Story of our lives.

If this is true, then I guess it's just Nintendo being different for the sake of it, which hasn't always been a good thing for them.

Hopefully they give us detailed info soon.

Sean

Banned

iPhone 6S Plus - starts at $649
Battery pack - lets say $30
AirPods - $160
Total: $840

You just mentioned three separate products totalling $840 in order to play your brand new $300 console online. You can't see how this is a shitty solution for most people? Maybe in your case you already owned those products, but that is certainly not the case for everyone.

AirPods - $160

You just mentioned three separate products totalling $840 in order to play your brand new $300 console online. You can't see how this is a shitty solution for most people? Maybe in your case you already owned those products, but that is certainly not the case for everyone.

I can play the Switch online just fine without any of those things.

I'm reeeeeaally curious about what this will look like in practice. The Switch can't just suspend itself while it waits for you to dig out your phone for any multiplayer functionality. It has to be an optional thing but with expanded features, etc.

Orrrrrrr maybe they're just that tone deaf

ViolentP

AirPods - $160

It's a shitty solution even for those who can afford it.

Did you mix up the quotes because I really don't understand now what you're trying to argue.

Anyhow, let me try again. Let's do it with baby steps:

Paid online subscription starts in Fall. Trial in the summer.
Smartphone app to be launched in Fall. A free, limited version of it to launch in summer. (that would imply that the main app is paid)

See a pattern? Anything wrong in what I said until now?

The online trial starts in March, not summer. Which will be really damn confusing and annoying if there really is no form of voice chat until the app comes out. That's not me saying that I think there will be voice chat without the app, just that it's insane to wait that long.

Poor ARMS/MK8 Deluxe...

Mindlog

Why don't you just use the Playstation app?

Baliis

AirPods - $160

Kinda reminds me of this penny arcade comic, just less extreme
i-JpfZqn4.jpg

Only Nintendo apologists would defend this.. seriously. This is a great option (as has been mentioned already), but silly as the ONLY option. Is Nintendo that desperate to capture users on their mobile app? Were the additional costs that great that they couldn't implement built in voice chat? Jesus.

Cynar

1. Don't be dumb, the vita can do this. The switch is weak hardware but it can at least handle a list and voice chat.
2, 3, 4. You just listed almost $1000 worth of stuff to play your $300 console. Do you need see how nuts that is?

If a smartphone is not required for voice chat, surely this should be very easy for Nintendo to clear up, no?
"A smartphone is not required for voice chat. You can use a headset with your Switch for that."
Exactly. Otherwise all of the negativity surrounding this is completely unnecessary. The thing is, I suspect it IS necessary. That's the problem. And Nintendo is doing a SHIT job of communicating it with this 'bulky gamer headset' rhetoric. In fact, they're alienating the gamers that they claim they want.

Fuck you, Nintendo. Fuck you. And screw you, Reggie. You don't have a say in shit. NCL is calling all the shots and you're just a puppet. How do you even defend this shit with a straight face? Bet you got an A* in chatting shit at school, hah.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The online trial starts in March, not summer. Which will be really damn confusing and annoying if there really is no form of voice chat until the app comes out. That's not me saying that I think there will be voice chat without the app, just that it's insane to wait that long.

Poor ARMS/MK8 Deluxe...

That's right, I was wrong, it starts in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom