• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.
They even call the trial version of the app releasing in Summer free, implying that the full version won't be free which led to some confusion around here. So maybe the app enforces the subscription.
Damn Nintendo's messaging has been so bad after the event. I can't believe they got this so wrong after doing it so well with the tease.

9TYrr9q.jpg

Those were $500 smartphone, asshole!

NotLiquid

So...is it more likely that random matchmaking exists natively.....or that Nintendo would release several Multiplayer focused games (ARMS, MK8 Deluxe) without multiplayer capability until the app releases in the summer?

What I explicitly mean is that random matchmaking and friend matchmaking are likely to exist within games the same way they did on the Wii U because there's no reason they shouldn't work the way they did on the Wii U. Splatoon has easy "join game" or "custom/private match" options within the game itself, same with Mario Kart 8. If you can connect online and play, what's stopping any developer from adding that to their game?

The app to me seems like it's just a supplement to that which would also allow voice chat. It'd be Nintendo's solution to the lack of Wii U having party lobbies; a very convoluted solution, mind you.

XandBosch

We have a pretty good idea we just haven't seen it in motion yet.

I mean, they've given us broad strokes but nothing else.

I honestly do think they'll be working on damage control. The Switch is and should be treated like their final hurrah, and they need to make things right.

It's hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt with some of these basic things. On the other hand, it even seems outside of their realm of stupidity to do this.

Also people really like to be angry and will default to believing the worse outcome. If it turns out this isn't true, you won't be hearing from many posters in this thread on how they're glad things worked out and that they're buying a Switch because of it.
So we can't critique a company or their decisions unless we are buying the hardware. Got it.

Seloth

Banned
Nintendo didn't even need to get their online service out before people started ridiculing and insulting people over it I see. Who says they don't innovate?

TS-08

Maybe I didn't understand your comment then. How does that invalidate what I said? What's the point?

The free game and the deals are rewards, not functionalities.

You're arguing that the app enforces the subscription. That means you think the app will become the gateway for these things, including online gameplay. There's no evidence of that and that is not how the app is being described.

TheMink

You know what would be neat?

Being able to hotlink friend requests on a site like Neogaf.

It would skip a step of manual registration.

But still this app is a terrible idea Nintendo.

I really want to see this app in motion. The only real world association I can make at the moment is the app my friend uses to chat with his Guild real time on WoW. I always found that pretty nifty.

That is for the WiiU version, not sure if I follow you.

I'm not sure what you're trying to follow? I just responded to a claim that Wii-U didn't allow voice chat with the built-in microphone with an example of how it did. I honestly didn't have a point to make besides providing an example.

I mean, they've given us broad strokes but nothing else.

I honestly do think they'll be working on damage control. The Switch is and should be treated like their final hurrah, and they need to make things right.
Yea which is part of their bad messaging. They need to show use how these things work before they start talking.

azyless

I really want to see this app in motion. The only real world association I can make at the moment is the app my friend uses to chat with his Guild real time on WoW. I always found that pretty nifty.
You should check out what the PS and Xbox app do. Companion apps are good, no one is disputing that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You're arguing that the app enforces the subscription. That means you think the app will become the gateway for these things, including online gameplay. There's no evidence of that and that is not how the app is being described.

By enforcing the subscription I mean that I'm asking if for accessing the functionalities that are behind the paywall you need the app.

This is how the app is described:

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

Planned for fall:

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Functionalities ≠ rewards

Rewards you can receive via My Nintendo (the dedicated rewards service) or Nintendo Account.

Edit: again, I don't treat this as a fact, just as a mere speculation, I think I made that very clear also in previous posts.

I'm not sure what you're trying to follow? I just responded to a claim that Wii-U didn't allow voice chat with the built-in microphone with an example of how it did. I honestly didn't have a point to make besides providing an example.
Splinter Cell Blacklist Wii U uses the build in mic for voice chat....

R0ckman

The thing that bothers me is that if this is a definite misunderstanding why the hell is this not being immediately clarrified so as to not damage the switch image even more that it already is?

Nintendo didn't even need to get their online service out before people started ridiculing and insulting people over it I see. Who says they don't innovate?

Well, sure, Nintendo may somehow despite all odds totally knock this out of the park and put the haters in their place. But let's be real here, most of the backlash is totally deserved. It's not fans fault for jumping to conclusions when they fail to properly explain how this is going to be rolled out and what exact functionality will be in place. And even if it is a great service, it still reflects poorly on them that it's not ready for launch.

The optimistic picture to me sounds more like "hey, maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds." It really seems like they're flying by the seat of their pants here. Those perks sound bad for a paid service. If the iPhone app isn't necessary for chat and in-game lobbies, they've done a bad job of explaining that that the smart app is more of an optional accompanying bit of functionality as opposed to an integral part of their online infrastructure. If the service is going to be appropriately cheap, they should have noted that while the final cost is still being considered, they're aiming for it to be inexpensive.

Again, Nintendo may very well serve up some crow here. Who knows. But I honestly don't think people are acting in bad faith by pointing out that what we currently know about the online infrastructure and paid service all sounds pretty lousy.

MCD

Seems like OS is not ready so they are letting Dena or some other mobile company do the rest via phones.

Splinter Cell Blacklist Wii U uses the build in mic for voice chat....

I think this whole conversation is getting confused now. I am not under the impression that Wii-U didn't allow the use of the built-in mic for chat. I provided an example to another user showing how Mario Kart 8 was an example of a game that did use the built-in mic.

lionpants

This can't be. From a software development and design stand-point it makes the whole process so much more convoluted and complicated.

There has to be some sort of misinterpretation.

This would mean that every game's match making UI would have to adhere to some sort of interface to allow the app to work. No more creative matchmaking UIs.

You would press a button to start finding a match in the game. A system UI would pop up and say something like "waiting for smart phone app connection". Then you'd have to switch over to the mobile app while the game just chills there waiting to be told what to do next by the app.

Imagine porting over your multiplayer game from PS4/XB1. Not going to happen.

If they were keeping the online service free I think this would be taken a lot better. Yeah it's still dumb AF but at least we could rationalize it as Nintendo cutting costs. You'd be inconvenienced but hey at least it's free, compared with the completion that would be a perk.

But the fact that they're charging you and yet you still need a separate device for basic features the completion includes on their hardware. It's just shockingly bad.

jay

We don't know anything about anything. Let's not discuss Switch until it has been out for at least a year so we don't risk being slightly wrong.

https://abload.de/img/15178984-32ekcr.png[IMG]
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/15178984-maincvsrb.png[IMG]

25. Sound [B]INPUT[/B]/OUTPUT terminal....

This validates this...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1nEGs4N.png[IMG]

and denied this...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9TYrr9q.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

DENIAL. DENIAL. DENIAL. Wake up, sheeples!! The goddamn Reggie is telling in, you plain English, what's happening. And yet, y'all gotta pull up patents like it's suppose to mean something...

Might as well start shouting "MCDONALDS" at your screen.

Got to admit these "its not out yet & wait for more details" are on a new level

These are the new details

We don't know anything about anything. Let's not discuss Switch until it has been out for at least a year so we don't risk being slightly wrong.

True. We should shut down gaf until March 3 2018

TS-08

By enforcing the subscription I mean that I'm asking if for accessing the functionalities that are behind the paywall you need the app.

This is how the app is described:

Functionalities ≠ rewards

Rewards you can receive via My Nintendo (the dedicated rewards service) or Nintendo Account.

Edit: again, I don't treat this as a fact, just as a mere speculation, I think I made that very clear also in previous posts.

The distinction between rewards and functionality is meaningless. You said the subscription works hand in hand with the app and that the app may enforce the subscription. The rewards are part of the subscription. You made no distinction.

And my point is that your speculation is baseless. The app is treated as its own distinct part of the subscription service. It is categorized distinctly from the online gameplay, the free game and the discounts. It's main functions are described. There's no reason to assume it will be used as a gateway to all PvP or PvE online gameplay because it's never been described as such. I don't see any reason to speculate that it will at this point, even if ultimately it did happen.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The distinction between rewards and functionality is meaningless.

The rewards can't be enforced. At least this I hope you understand.

The rest I covered already and you chose to ignore it, so let's agree to disagree and move on.

Edit: and my speculation might be wrong, but it's not baseless. I think we have different properties for the terms, like what baseless means and what is a subscription. Maybe I don't understand English well enough.

XandBosch

As much as this will suck if it's true, how many people is this a deal-breaker for?

As someone who hasn't really touched online with Nintendo's games very often (could very well change with Splatoon 2) this won't stop me from buying the console and playing it. I won't need online to play Zelda, Mario, presumably Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc.

I'm not making an excuse, I'm just saying this if this sucks I'll just ignore it entirely and get on with my day, they won't get my money for their online service but they still will for their console.

levyjl1988

Banned
I'm not even mad about this.
1. It takes away additional computing stress from the Switch.
2. I always have my iPhone 6S Plus on me and I use it to tweet, text, look up FAQ.
3. I'm not worried about lack of battery as I have an external battery charger.
4. I would be using Apples Airpod so I'm good on the wireless portion.

TS-08

The rest I covered already and you chose to ignore it, so let's agree to disagree and move on.

Why can't the rewards be enforced through the app if Nintendo chose to do so? I didn't ignore anything. You simply made a bad argument and I addressed it. You're deflecting.

zoukka

2. I always have my iPhone 6S Plus on me and I use it to tweet, text, look up FAQ.

Damn we finally found their core demographic.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why can't the rewards be enforced through the app if Nintendo chose to do so? I didn't ignore anything. You simply made a bad argument and I addressed it. You're deflecting.

The rewards are granted, not enforced. The subscription, the paywall for accessing the functionalities is enforced.

ViolentP

These should all be pack-ins then.

I honestly think it sounds like a very cool option. It's just bizarre to me if this does indeed prove to be necessary as a means of chatting and playing in a lobby with friends.

So you have an expensive smartphone with you, with expensive headphones, with expensive battery charger so it's not a problem for you?

Makes sense... Seems like Nintendo was catering just to you! Hope you grow four ears to listen to both game audio and chat audio lol. ;)

Jokes aside, not everyone has this option.

XandBosch

As someone who hates constantly backing out of my game on PS4 to manage my party/messages and all that shit, it doesn't wholeheartedly destroy my dreams like it seems to be for others either, but it certainly needs an explanation to prove to us that it can still be an elegant solution. I'm not saying people who are mad are wrong, I'm just saying it's not a deal-breaker for me and I could see it working fine.

TS-08

Edit: and my speculation might be wrong, but it's not baseless. I think we have different properties for the terms, like what baseless means and what is a subscription. Maybe I don't understand English well enough.

What's your speculation based on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom