• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksamedi

People are having problems with a mandatory app but it does guarantee that all your gaming friends use the same app. Makes game invites easier when no one is in fromt of the console. Especially with the portable nature of the Switch.

I believe that some functionality will also carry over to the UI. Think of it as a car phone kit solution. You connect the phone to the car via bluetooth and you can use buttons on the car interface to call people or speak to people, adjust volume, play music and all that kind of stuff. You dont actually have to use your phone for that. I believe something like that will be implemented for Switch as wel.

Cynar

As someone who hates constantly backing out of my game on PS4 to manage my party/messages and all that shit, it doesn't wholeheartedly destroy my dreams like it seems to be for others either, but it certainly needs an explanation to prove to us that it can still be an elegant solution. I'm not saying people who are mad are wrong, I'm just saying it's not a deal-breaker for me and I could see it working fine.

You're welcome, link is below. Best part is you can do it on console AND your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playstation.mobilemessenger

People are having problems with a mandatory app but it does guarantee that all your gaming friends use the same app. Makes game invites easier when no one is in fromt of the console. Especially with the portable nature of the Switch.

I believe that some functionality will also carry over to the UI. Think of it as a car phone kit solution. You connect the phone to the car via bluetooth and you can use buttons on the car interface to call people or speak to people, adjust volume, play music and all that kind of stuff. You dont actually have to use your phone for that. I believe something like that will be implemented for Switch as wel.
They'll have the switch in front of them and if they're not online you could text them anyway or message then through ANY app, even PlayStation or Xbox apps. You're not making sense and I'm getting dizzy from all the spin.

notaskwid

Remember the Xbox one reveal?

Q: does the xbox need to connect only in order to play a gama?
A: yes, that is correct. We believe that balblabla.

People on Neogaf: OMG WE STILL DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION, STOP CRUCIFYING THEM, THEY JUST SUCK AT MESSAGING.

Seems like a close enough situation.

This seems to be the main argument that's been going in circles for quite some time now. We have two main facts that people keep falling back to:

- Nintendo/Reggie have stated that voice chat/matchmaking work through the dedicated app.

- Nintendo/Reggie have not given us any details about built in OS functions besides a brief glimpse of the "home" screen.

Based on point number 1, it seems highly likely that the OS itself won't allow for voice chat. This isn't confirmed, but we have enough information to make an assumption (right or wrong).

My bet is that we'll have a Direct soon that details the OS for day one. It doesn't seem likely at this point that they'll say the Switch can do voice chat without the app, but it's on them to clarify that either way. Either way, you can't really blame people for assuming that voice chat can only be done via the app.

Well. Let's just keep bickering and arguing about something we don't know the full details for. It's speculation on how exactly it will work.

Do you honesty think Nintendo would screw people over who don't have a smart device?

I'm pretty sure it can't do all the things Nintendo is saying theirs will do (like manage party chat)

But that's the beauty of the ps4/xb1, they don't need the app for that. It's built into the OS which is fast and responsive on both systems. I can easily switch from parry chat to in game chat and vice versa, go from one parry chat channel to an another my friends make super fast without exiting any game. I use the app to message my friends which also works great because it's optional.

notaskwid

Well. Let's just keep bickering and arguing about something we don't know the full details for. It's speculation on how exactly it will work.

Do you honesty think Nintendo would screw people over who don't have a smart device?
Yes.
Because they want people to buy smart devices and play their games there.
Not to mention DeNa

Nintendo: We require you to use an app.

Nintendo fans: do you really think they'll require you to use an app?

azyless

The online trial starts in March, not summer. Which will be really damn confusing and annoying if there really is no form of voice chat until the app comes out. That's not me saying that I think there will be voice chat without the app, just that it's insane to wait that long.

Poor ARMS/MK8 Deluxe...
The app launches in a limited version during the summer. Full version in the fall.

edit: I might have misunderstood you, my bad

ksamedi

You're welcome, link is below. Best part is you can do it on console AND your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playstation.mobilemessenger

They'll have the switch in front of them and if they're not online you could text them anyway or message then through ANY app, even PlayStation or Xbox apps. You're not making sense and I'm getting dizzy from all the spin.

Yea... no
Planning for a gaming session, sending invites through one dedicated app for that, is not the same as whatsapping your friends. Hell there are even people on my list that i dont even know personally. Just gaming buddies.

How's is speculation when all this is comming directly from Nintendo mouth.

Reggie

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby.

What's speculation about this?

Maybe they will backtrack, but people are just looking at what Nintendo is actually telling to us in how their online system is going to work.

Oresama

If every post on this thread were retweets on Twitter , we'd be trending globally.

That would really get Nintendos attention.

Forget a forum thread we need a #hashtag

Alebrije

From the creators of "Please understand"

images

Yep I believe.

People are upset about the information we know so far, and that's understandable. It's up to Nintendo to prove that they have nothing to worry about. Said people are "bickering" because others are trying to tell them they have no reason to worry at all. The people who have been the most vocal in this thread are trying to have an actual conversation about it.

I honestly don't pretend to know what their plan is. No matter what I'll probably subscribe as I know I'll be playing my Switch quite a bit.

TS-08

Did you mix up the quotes because I really don't understand now what you're trying to argue.

Anyhow, let me try again. Let's do it with baby steps:

Paid online subscription starts in Fall. Trial in the summer.
Smartphone app to be launched in Fall. A free, limited version of it to launch in summer. (that would imply that the main app is paid)

See a pattern? Anything wrong in what I said until now?

You were suggesting that the app could be used to enforce the subscription, which you also described as working hand in hand with the app. I pushed back on those ideas. You then got us into the weeds on some useless distinction between rewards and enforcement. But let's assume what you meant is that the app would enforce the online gameplay aspect of the service in general. I've already clearly addressed that I think that's baseless.

People on Neogaf: OMG WE STILL DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION, STOP CRUCIFYING THEM, THEY JUST SUCK AT MESSAGING.

The parallels are amazing. I'm assuming the PS3 price reveal also went down the same way...

Clefargle

This is lame because I've wanted them to standardize these features for a while as a service, and I wouldn't mind paying if it's good, but the smartphone only requirement is almost too much and pretty bittersweet

tkscz

My question is for those who disagree with this (I'm in the "I don't care cause I never use this stuff anyway crowd), why are you getting so angry at those who like this or are ok with using this app? Jeeze, calling them dumb, stupid, flinging fuck around. Why does that make you so mad? Honestly curious.

Cynar

The parallels are amazing. I'm assuming the PS3 price reveal also went down the same way...
Yes. But more like why don't you just get a second job?
My question is for those who disagree with this (I'm in the "I don't care cause I never use this stuff anyway crowd), why are you getting so angry at those who like this or are ok with using this app? Jeeze, calling them dumb, stupid, flinging fuck around. Why does that make you so mad? Honestly curious.
When something as inept like this comes up you have to speak out against it. As much as we love Nintendo there are some of us who don't accept everything that is being rammed down our throats. There are so many platforms from PC, Xbox, PlayStation and various mmo's to show how a companion app should work that it's just asinine that Nintendo is doing this and some people are going against their own interests (a better experience)just to defend Nintendo.
No one is insulting users but the idea that this is okay when it absolutely is not acceptable in this day and age.

Two Words

The only reason I can think why they would do this outside of being completely inept is that they want to reduce as much processing overhead that the Switch handles since it is already pretty underpowered.

The only reason I can think why they would do this outside of being completely inept is that they want to reduce as much processing overhead that the Switch handles since it is already pretty underpowered.

Holy shit not THAT underpowered

Its multitudes more powerful than every system that came before it that can offer this functionality natively

That's not even happening in this thread at all, lol. People are calling out those who are supporting this app and an external smart device being required for basic functionality, and with good reason - there is literally no good reason to not include this functionality on the console AND the app.

Blam

I'm not even mad about this.
1. It takes away additional computing stress from the Switch.
2. I always have my iPhone 6S Plus on me and I use it to tweet, text, look up FAQ.
3. I'm not worried about lack of battery as I have an external battery charger.
4. I would be using Apples Airpod so I'm good on the wireless portion.

1. Literally anything can do a friends list, and voice chat. It's not a hard task. Computing stress is less than 1% of the cpu usage.

2. So does everyone doesn't make it a good reason to do so, what about the people who don't have phones? Does that remove them from the online aspect of the Switch?

3. Not everyone has one.

4. Same as number 3.

This is the stupidest thing nintendo has ever done. When people said they didn't make a real OS they weren't joking. This is only going to make it easier to break the switch as it's all being done somewhere else where people can download the app, decompile it modify it and throw it back up there.

azyless

I don't care if people are okay with using this app. If people straight up say it's a good idea to not have these features on the console then yeah they're stupid, and pretty selfish.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The really big questions are still:

- Is there a way to mux game audio and voice chat through the phone?
- How does the Switch connect to the phone? And most importantly does it directly connect to the phone or does it have to connect via the Internet. Because that would be least elegant solution to online ever.

The answer he gave is completely nonsensical because anything you can do in this regard on a smartphone you could do natively if they wanted.

Mux through the phone or the Switch? I think you mean the Switch so that you don't have to keep your phone out to listen to it's speakers.

And plug your headset into Switch and muxes game audio with voice chat streamed from phone via bluetooth? Will Switch appear as an audio device your phone can stream audio to? Never ending questions to a seemingly needlessly complicated approach to this.

Wow... Nintendo is really dropping the ball and it sounds like people are defending them on this.

I do not wish this console success if practices like this will be pushed.

This would be great if it was an additional option. Not the only option.

Zelda is 900p with lots of pop-in. That's pretty underpowered... It's not even a new gen game.

Because they made the deliberate decision to set the thing at the lower end of its potential to make the seamless transitions to portable easier

Its not so weak that it couldnt runs friends list and voice chat

Thats ridiculous

Cynar

We all know that Nintendo's offering is really weak but the vita can handle this. I'm sure the switch can handle a list and a VoIP client.

Two Words

Holy shit not THAT underpowered

Its multitudes more powerful than every system that came before it that can offer this functionality natively
Right, but I'm saying it is far more underpowered than the PS4 and Xbox One and they want to get multi platform games and have to scrounge for every cycle hey can.

We all know that Nintendo's offering is really weak but the vita can handle this. I'm sure the switch can handle a list and a VoIP client.
The Vita was never trying to get console multi platform ports like the Switch will be.

ryanofcall

wow, they're going all "on the go" with that thing. I take it there will be an automatically connect switch with internet over phone option as well in that app. Could be nice. Could finally make Network Companies make the switch to "no more roaming".
Smart imo.

Right, but I'm saying it is far more underpowered than the PS4 and Xbox One and they want to get multi platform games and have to scrounge for every cycle hey can.

The Vita was never trying to get console multi platform ports like the Switch will be.

The original Xbox and PS2 had voice chat through the console. The PS2 will have been released 17 years ago when the Switch launches.

Dunlop

I kind of recall the backlash from that to be far worse than what is happening here.

And it worked to a degree and MS backtracked. I highly doubt Nintendo will do the same

jts

...hate me...
It’s just part of gamer culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom