• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Ravage

Just for clarification, it is currently not possible to remote play online games if your PS4 is connected via WiFi (instead of LAN/ethernet cable) only?

Skyzard

Banned
Just for clarification, it is currently not possible to remote play online games if your PS4 is connected via WiFi (instead of LAN/ethernet cable) only?

Yes it will be possible, but it won't be quite as good - your vita will need to connect to your router to stream from the PS4, not directly from the PS4's wifi (as it's in use).

If it's because it's hard to find a port for the PS4 as the router is far away, I recommend checking out powerline adapters as they are easy to set up and work fast over long distances and are cheap.

Why is PSN required for a direct wifi interface with the PS4 and Vita?

I read that it works offline :s You just need to set them up the first time (register/activate). Is that not the case?

BigDug13

Yes it will be possible, but it won't be quite as good - your vita will need to connect to your router to stream from the PS4, not directly from the PS4's wifi (as it's in use).

If it's because it's hard to find a port for the PS4 as the router is far away, I recommend checking out powerline adapters as they are easy to set up and work fast over long distances and are cheap.

I read that it works offline :s You just need to set them up the first time (register/activate). Is that not the case?

Right, but why is PSN required for first time pairing? Couldn't they have made an option for non-Internet people to simply pair their personal Vita with the PS4 through Ps4's wifi? Yes I realize it would mean you couldn't use it over an actual network, but local pairing to direct wifi connection shouldn't require PSN to be up.

I guess I'm just impatient about wanting to get my vita remote play going and I can't do the pairing without PSN being functional.

But my point still stands about initial pairing. A vita owner and PS4 owner who doesn't have Internet shouldn't be required to connect to PSN to pair his Vita to his PS4 locally.

Unless I'm doing it wrong. I go to the PS4 settings menu and go to PS vita connection settings. Then an error message comes up saying I must be logged on to PSN.

Skyzard

Banned
^ how is it set up? Tried unticking the POWER SAVING option in the Vita settings app? Something like use wifi in power saving mode. Don't want that for remote play. Tried moving closer to your router or ps4 - depending on how it is set up? It's also best when PS4 connects to router via lan port. I don't have a ps4 yet so can't tell you if it's a widespread issue.

@BigDug13, no I heard the first time requires you to be online to set it up as well, I think you are doing it right. Absolutely, ideally, we shouldn't have to be online to set it up to play locally for the first time.

bebop242

This isn't working for me at all. I have direct connection enabled, but everything is extremely laggy and the connection drops after 10-15 seconds. I must be doing something wrong, I'm not even 10 feet from the PS4.
I had the same issue. I just powered down both devices and tried again. It worked and haven't had a problem since.

Ravage

Ok got it. Thanks :)

JCX

Just got a Vita today too, so I've been using offscreen play. Really smooth, provided i'm not too far from the system. Excited to try it from outside my home network.

Bastion

How do you know if it is connecting directly or through wifi? Right now it feels the same as remote play through the PS3. Sluggish which makes me think it is through wifi.

georgc

I'm having a difficult time dealing with the touchpad on the back for the remaining buttons. It's like half the time my finger gets read while the other half it gets ignored. Any tips?

Flandy

Your Vita needs to be logged into your brother's PSN account. And at that distance, if your bandwiths are 5+ mbit, you will be fine.

Anyhow, give us report.
Can't I just log into my account on his PS4?

I'll await your report Gaf-brethen

I'll report back with impressions when I can (I'll also take a speedtest as well)
Anyway, it's not happening today guys. Change of plans so I'll have to wait till Saturday or Sunday to test it out.

BigDug13

I'm having a difficult time dealing with the touchpad on the back for the remaining buttons. It's like half the time my finger gets read while the other half it gets ignored. Any tips?

Sony needs to update the Vita firmware to allow us to control what gets mapped to what. Because i have a similar situation. Half of my back panel doesn't register when touched.

Am I the only person or just crazy. Because I want to be able to use my PS4 controller(controller) and Vita(screen) for remote play. It just feels better that way. Or can this be done with the Vita already?

Flandy

Am I the only person or just crazy. Because I want to be able to use my PS4 controller(controller) and Vita(screen) for remote play. It just feels better that way. Or can this be done with the Vita already?

You could do this with a PSP Go and a Dualshock 3. Not sure if any other PSP models supported this.

georgc

Sony needs to update the Vita firmware to allow us to control what gets mapped to what. Because i have a similar situation. Half of my back panel doesn't register when touched.
Yes that's what it feels like is there a way to fix the touchpad?

Just got done trying remote play out on NFS and LEGO Marvel...

I'll be honest, I noticed 0 lag, whether it be screen lag or input lag. It was so smooth! Also, the games look incredible on the screen, I could tell it wasn't a native Vita game but I had to really concentrate and nitpick to notice while playing.

I bought a Vita back in February after the console announcement just for this feature, and so far it looks to be even better than I was hoping for!

BadRNG

So is there no way to reassign controls yourself like with PSP/PS1? It's all on developer's side?

Trying to play NBA2k14. Game looks great and I'm not getting any noticeable lag, but upper part of back touch pad for L2/R2 is a pain since both are used so often. Hands going to cramp before half time.

johnny956

It sucks because ps3 remote play had 3 different configs you could chose from

Also I did remote play at my office today. Worked fantastic. Latency was super low. I live about 8 miles my office

So is there no way for me to manually connect to my PS4 via a router? I'm closer to my router than PS4 but the Vita always connects to the PS4 and I'm far enough from the PS4 that the video feed always drops.

Zoe

Lost the connection a couple of times when playing Resogun via direct connection despite being only a few feet away. Anyone else?

jonnysniper

Neo Member
Does anyone know how to get the 2 player mode to work with need for speed rivals. I read you can do it but I'm having a hard time

I have a wireless AirPort Extreme N Apple router and my home network is extended using an airport express. Do you think the extended network is causing issues? Right now, when trying to connect, I can't even play in the next room. I'm talking about playing 15 feet away from the PlayStation 4 and the router with only one wall in between. Or, is this just PSN issues? It kind of sucks that I can't play in the next room.

Wow really cool being able to play KillZone from bed. I was playing online and was able to do ok despite the not so great control scheme. Rear Touch pad is the worst thing ever

Steel

Banned
^ how is it set up? Tried unticking the POWER SAVING option in the Vita settings app? Something like use wifi in power saving mode. Don't want that for remote play. Tried moving closer to your router or ps4 - depending on how it is set up? It's also best when PS4 connects to router via lan port. I don't have a ps4 yet so can't tell you if it's a widespread issue.

@BigDug13, no I heard the first time requires you to be online to set it up as well, I think you are doing it right. Absolutely, ideally, we shouldn't have to be online to set it up to play locally for the first time.

Wow this actually got my remote working lots better. Didn't even know that option was default on. Huh.

CF22

Tried my last game for the day, ACIV and it worked very well with Remote Play. Gotta get used to using the rear touch pad but it's still the feature I was mostly looking forward to.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I have a wireless AirPort Extreme N Apple router and my home network is extended using an airport express. Do you think the extended network is causing issues? Right now, when trying to connect, I can't even play in the next room. I'm talking about playing 15 feet away from the PlayStation 4 and the router with only one wall in between. Or, is this just PSN issues? It kind of sucks that I can't play in the next room.

first check would be to see what the signal strength is on the Vita in settings, then maybe do a speed test. you could also run a wifi network analyzer from those spots if you've got a laptop or mobile device to see what's going on (I think they locked those down on ios but I've got a good one on Android)

I don't know about Airport routers but it's possible "extended network" uses a repeater mode

So is there no way for me to manually connect to my PS4 via a router? I'm closer to my router than PS4 but the Vita always connects to the PS4 and I'm far enough from the PS4 that the video feed always drops.

wondering this too, although remote play direct to ps4 has been working superb for me so far.

it is unplayable for me. Choppy, laggy, pixely..all of that. Router is one room away from ps4, ps4 gets roughly 20 mbps...vita is literally sitting right next to ps4. Cant seem to find what the problem is.

cafemomo

i just realized I can play FFXIV on the Vita next year thanks to this remote play thing

this is the future

i gotta renew my XIV sub

first check would be to see what the signal strength is on the Vita in settings, then maybe do a speed test. you could also run a wifi network analyzer from those spots if you've got a laptop or mobile device to see what's going on (I think they locked those down on ios but I've got a good one on Android)

I don't know about Airport routers but it's possible "extended network" uses a repeater mode

The PS4 says it's only at 75%, and the Vita shows a full fan (full signal). It all looks fine. I don't know. I'll see how it is in a few days after launch stuff dies down to see if it improves. But, right now, it's a bit of a disappointment. Even when it is running "smoothly", there's still visual delay with sound, or, in other words, dialogue comes well before mouths move.

demolitio

Remote play has been pretty solid so far except for NBA 2K14 which is only bad due to the controls layout not being tweaked. Having turbo on the top right of the rear touchpad, defense on the top left and then two more at the bottom is extremely annoying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you select direct connection, can it still connect over the router if you get out of range, and still connect over the Internet? Not sure how the rules work? Assume Ps4 is connected via cable. I'd want the best performance of direct connection, but when playing in bed it might not reach (my WiiU doesn't)

Kuren

I first ran PS4 remote play and it ran alright. Much like the PS3 RP. I updated my router's firmware and turned off the power save feature on my Vita and it rans much better now.

I think the unresponsive touch screen and touch pad stuff is related to lag and connection issues. Update your router firmware and turn off power save on the Vita! Seems to help tons!!!

(Also if others are using your wifi at the same time, it seems to cause some issues)

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Quick question.

I've seen some gameplay videos where some games look like they have more lag than others, is it a game by game basis, or just connection?

• Killzone and Need For Speed looked good (KZ looked almost 1:1 in a video I saw).
  • COD and BF4 looked laggy, noticeably on video, would be worse in person.
So is it due to different peoples different connections, or has anyone experienced different lag for different games?

Ran rp

Wow this actually got my remote working lots better. Didn't even know that option was default on. Huh.

I first ran PS4 remote play and it ran alright. Much like the PS3 RP. I updated my router's firmware and turned off the power save feature on my Vita and it rans much better now.

I think the unresponsive touch screen and touch pad stuff is related to lag and connection issues. Update your router firmware and turn off power save on the Vita! Seems to help tons!!!

(Also if others are using your wifi at the same time, it seems to cause some issues)

I also did this and it's much smoother now. It was great before but now it actually feels like it's 30fps.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have updated OP with all the available tips for making your home RP experience as best as possible. I made that FAQ question very visible.

AwShucks

Tried Resogun today and it seemed to work flawlessly. I couldn't detect any gameplay hindering lag.PS4 was connected wired to router and I was about 15 feet from it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I can't use remote play from my bed room, the wi-fi is too weak I guess. :(

Top Bottom