• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

stang6604

I have a problem with streaming to my vita. Video looks great but the audio is super choppy. It does it on direct link and wifi. I will take a video of it tomorrow and link to it. Had anyone else heard of this problem

I get a black screen on my vita when trying to waken my ps4 from standby mode using remote play, it won't wake it up and then I see nothing. Is my ps4 broken?

They can. You have to check direct connect in the remote play options on the PS4. For further troubleshooting, turn off "internet access" in the network settings to ensure that the wifi is doing nothing but connecting to your Vita.

Yeah I have it checked but it still acts like I'm trying to video chat with someone on the moon.

DogMeat77

Reading through this thread I found out about the Wifi Power Save setting on the Vita. After turning that off streaming has been really good for me. Anyone still having issues, make sure you turn off the wifi power save.

RaikuHebi

Banned
A question for Gaf: I know about the 30fps limitation, and ibam okay with that, but are the images sharp through rp? I was using rp on my ps3 and shadow of the colossus looked a tad blurry.
It's a totally different world on PS4. With PS3 the quality is drastically reduced even at the highest setting. On PS4 it is a 1:1 image.

This is why Vita TV is going to be amazing.

Takao

Banned
Damn. I really want to know if it gives the exact same 720p picture the PS4 gives with no quality lost.

I would've thought since it runs the same firmware as the Vita that the PS4 Link would be on there.

Vita TV and real Vitas don't run on the same firmware.

Skyzard

Banned
Reading through this thread I found out about the Wifi Power Save setting on the Vita. After turning that off streaming has been really good for me. Anyone still having issues, make sure you turn off the wifi power save.

Yeah this will need to be echoed a few times as it's on by default and isn't exactly a standard option people are used to.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
A question for Gaf: I know about the 30fps limitation, and ibam okay with that, but are the images sharp through rp? I was using rp on my ps3 and shadow of the colossus looked a tad blurry.

It's a tad bit blurry with the PS4, too. Makes some games harder to play, like CoD Ghosts.

But playing that game on my Vita, online, and still keeping 30 fps is amazing.

molnizzle

So I have an Aiport Extreme upstairs connected to my router and an Airport Express downstairs so I can directly connect to my DirectTV TiVo through Ethernet.

Could the fact that there are two routers play into why the performance is so shitty on remote play? I've set up the settings on the PS4 to connect to the Vita directly but it can't possibly be doing so with the performance I'm seeing.

I have a similar setup and unchecking the "connect to PS4 directly" box greatly improved my performance. The direct connector is only good if you're in the same room as the PS4. If you're not then it's best to just connect through your wireless network. I just played an hour of NFS Rivals in bed with only a couple of hiccups. Love it!

I'm sure this has been covered before but the ps vita can't act as a second controller for the ps4 correct with knack for instance?

Alchemy

I'm sure this has been covered before but the ps vita can't act as a second controller for the ps4 correct with knack for instance?

I think if you remote play, it will act as your first controller. So you can probably then use the second controller for player 2.

Skyzard

Banned

It can and with Knack, yep.

According to this anyway:
We have a unique two-player coop mode that puts a fun twist on traditional co-op games and is a great reason to pick up an extra DualShock 4 controller. If you own a PS Vita, there’s of course Remote Play, which can even work in conjunction with our two-player co-op.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/07/more-ways-to-play-knack-co-op-mode-mobile-app-detailed/

DieH@rd

Banned

Yes, it can serve as a second controller in coop games if you intend to play the game on HDTV [just dont look down @ vita's screen :D ].

KalBalboa

Banned
Don't know if this has been answered yet and I haven't experimented with this, but can we stream DVD or Blu-ray video to a Vita with remote play?

I didn't this answered in the OP and maybe I'm the worst for even wanting it but can you use the Vita as a TV and the DS4 as the controller? I found the touch pads on the back to be very uncomfortable to use while playing BF4. I tried using the controller but it disconnected the Vita.

DieH@rd

Banned
I didn't this answered in the OP and maybe I'm the worst for even wanting it but can you use the Vita as a TV and the DS4 as the controller? I found the touch pads on the back to be very uncomfortable to use while playing BF4. I tried using the controller but it disconnected the Vita.

For now, no. Vita and DS4 cannot use same account at the same time. If you have RP active on vita, when you take DS4 it will be unactive untill you press PS button and chose into what account you want to login. You can either add nother account for coop, or play with same account that vita uses. If you choose same account, vita RP will be stopped. You can see this here, vita stream stops when DS4 start using same account.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DWONPvXT4i0#t=81

I will add this question and answer to OP FAQ soon.

Rexaur

Tried this out the other day with BF4 and like the poster said above it was pretty uncomfortable to handle. Vita tends to make my hands cramp, and as amazing as it was to see this game running on my Vita it was a bit of a pain. I even had to turn my sensitivity way down because of how twitchy the Vita sticks are. I could see this being great for games like LEGO Marvel or Knack.

I also tried bringing my Vita to work to see if Remote Play away from home and show some people BF4 running on there, but I guess that option isn't available yet? For whatever reason it couldn't find my PS4 over the Internet.

DieH@rd

Banned
Tried this out the other day with BF4 and like the poster said above it was pretty uncomfortable to handle. Vita tends to make my hands cramp, and as amazing as it was to see this game running on my Vita it was a bit of a pain. I even had to turn my sensitivity way down because of how twitchy the Vita sticks are. I could see this being great for games like LEGO Marvel or Knack.

I also tried bringing my Vita to work to see if Remote Play away from home and show some people BF4 running on there, but I guess that option isn't available yet? For whatever reason it couldn't find my PS4 over the Internet.

Get Vita grip :) Its a lifesaver for longer sessions, and it enables you thumbs to be placed in much more natural position.

#2 First, you need to put your PS4 into standby mode, Vita cannot wake PS4 remotely from total shutdown. Secondly, your router is maybe blocking your Remote Play ports.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

Rexaur

Get Vita grip :) Its a lifesaver for longer sessions, and it enables you thumbs to be placed in much more natural position.

#2 First, you need to put your PS4 into standby mode, Vita cannot wake PS4 remotely from total shutdown. Secondly, your router is maybe blocking your Remote Play ports.

Thanks for tips. I've been seeing that grip around lately and I'm really close to picking one up. also, just trid opening my ports to see if that will help. Hopefully the fact that I'm running DD-WRT right now for Homepass isn't screwing things up.

MogCakes

Thanks for tips. I've been seeing that grip around lately and I'm really close to picking one up. also, just trid opening my ports to see if that will help. Hopefully the fact that I'm running DD-WRT right now for Homepass isn't screwing things up.

The grip is amazing. Bought it yesterday and couldn't be happier.

bLaiSe

Get the assist grip instead.

Zoe

Anybody got it working with DD-WRT? It's not for us.

Edit: Apparently UPnP did the trick. Port forwarding and DMZ did not help.

Bastion

When I go into Wireless Networks on my Vita, there is a PS4 connection. How do I connect to this? What is the WPA-PSK?

Maybe connecting to this will speed things up. I assume this is the direct connection I need.

TechJunk

When I go into Wireless Networks on my Vita, there is a PS4 connection. How do I connect to this? What is the WPA-PSK?

Maybe connecting to this will speed things up. I assume this is the direct connection I need.

The direct connection is in the Ps4 settings for Vita. Second option. Don't connect through wifi to the PS4, just use the PS4 Link app on your vita.

And for me, opening up the ports vastly improved remote play quality. Been playing NFS on the Vita upstairs for the last hour, no issues.

BigDug13

What about when you're gaming on the go using 3G (ATT DataConnect) or a cellphone hotspot?

I might pick up a Vita just for this feature if it doesn't use an insane amount of data.

Probably similar data amount as if you were constantly streaming a Netflix movie.

Tried it out last night after leaving the bar. Tethered to my LTE phone from the cab and continued my game of AC4, and when I arrived I picked up my controller and continued playing.

The future is here, gentlemen.

And it was perfect? What's your upload speed from home?
There were a handful of hiccups, which I assumed was due to the speed I was traveling. If I was stationary it'd probably have been flawless.
As for my upload speed, I just checked and it gave me an average of 35mbps.. so pretty good.

RaikuHebi

Banned
There were a handful of hiccups, which I assumed was due to the speed I was traveling. If I was stationary it'd probably have been flawless.
As for my upload speed, I just checked and it gave me an average of 35mbps.. so pretty good.
Wonderful, the more impressions with 4G that come in, the more I realise I need a 4G phone for the sake of Remote Play. I doubt 3G could handle it very well.

whitehawk

Banned
Tried it out last night after leaving the bar. Tethered to my LTE phone from the cab and continued my game of AC4, and when I arrived I picked up my controller and continued playing.

OH wow. Now I finally see a reason to have LTE.

Can anyone test it on 3G? I'm curious if it would work.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Meanwhile mine is full of stutters and glitches in the next room with a high end router. Nice :(

Talax

Is it possible for you to post videos? I'd really love to see it in action on LTE.
I wish Sony gave some kind of minimum benchmark that you just have to at least attain to get a (near) smooth experience. From both sides of course. PS4's connection and on LTE.

DieH@rd

Banned
I haven't been able to get it to work out and about town what am I missing ? Is there a requied upload dl speed

5mbit upload speed is reported to be enough, PS4 needs to be either turned on or in standby mode, and your router needs to have few ports opened up.

Its also recommended to use LAN cable for PS4 internet connection.

Is it possible for you to post videos? I'd really love to see it in action on LTE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Pj4PyJgnA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJ5IZ3-rEw

Top Bottom