• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

kriskrosbbk

wondering this too, although remote play direct to ps4 has been working superb for me so far.

How do you understand its connected directly or wifi.Its not like the PS3 vita app.
Are we assuming that if the PS4 is wired ,only then the Vita is connected directly ?

Question in the FAQ.

"Turn off Power Settings in your Vita"

How do I do this? All I can do is limit it to 10 minutes. And that still doesn't help that much.

First time i tried it the lag was like the ps3 remote play and the screen looked awful and had connection issues. Second time i played i ticked the second box in the settings which is to enable direct connection and its much better. Didnt notice to much lag playing resogun its pretty good and reaches a good distance, enough to use it where i most want. Although i turned the tv on to compare and cant tell which updates first its pretty equal. Although the sound at least in the menu is a bit delayed. I cant seem to find a way to choose between direct and through router does anyone know? I mean other than unchecking direct via the setting which you cant do while using it.

So I have an Aiport Extreme upstairs connected to my router and an Airport Express downstairs so I can directly connect to my DirectTV TiVo through Ethernet.

Could the fact that there are two routers play into why the performance is so shitty on remote play? I've set up the settings on the PS4 to connect to the Vita directly but it can't possibly be doing so with the performance I'm seeing.

kriskrosbbk

First time i tried it the lag was like the ps3 remote play and the screen looked awful and had connection issues. Second time i played i ticked the second box in the settings which is to enable direct connection and its much better. Didnt notice to much lag playing resogun its pretty good and reaches a good distance, enough to use it where i most want. Although i turned the tv on to compare and cant tell which updates first its pretty equal. Although the sound at least in the menu is a bit delayed. I cant seem to find a way to choose between direct and through router does anyone know? I mean other than unchecking direct via the setting which you cant do while using it.

Where is that box in settings ? Which setting is that ,on the PS4 vita app?

VanWinkle

Having very mixed experiences, and that is disappointing. Killzone was pretty good, though didn't feel like 30fps, Warfame was pretty good though the controls aren't great with the Vita, Trine 2 worked well but controls were essentially broken, requiring a back touchpad touch for its main action, and just tried Resogun which worked great but I had massive connection problems with it.

So yeah, I do have to admit I'm disappointed because I was expecting the experience to be a little closer to Wii U off TV play, but it has potential. Input lag has not been a problem, so that's good.

Question in the FAQ.

"Turn off Power Settings in your Vita"

How do I do this? All I can do is limit it to 10 minutes. And that still doesn't help that much.
Settings> power save settings and just uncheck the box. At least i think thats what its referring to, mine was already off.

Craiji

Had a blast using remote play on my couch ~8 feet from my TV.
But the two reasons I want to use remote play just do not work.

1. In my bedroom upstairs. I have to use a wireless bridge as the signal downstairs will not reach my bedroom. The Vita feels the need to ignore the bridge when I use remote play, and will disconnect from the PS4 within seconds. The funny thing is the Vita will connect to the bridge without a problem with everything else, and the quality of service is awesome.

2. At work. I have Comcast Business Class at home, and I guess the gateway turns remote connections off by default. I can not for the life of me log in. I even reset the gateway and used the default username/password. Nada. This also prevents me from opening ports.

Am I screwed? Only a direct connection downstairs in my home works.

mech

I tried Flower with this last night, it looked and played perfectly. Was a few rooms over from the PS4 too. Awesome.

BigDug13

NFS Rivals is pretty bad with input lag even with direct connection. Could this be why Sony is uncapping framerates on their first party games? To help make Remote Play a better experience by removing as much input lag as possible?

my setup would be ps4 connected to wifi and vita through wifi can you still use direct connect without a lan connection to the ps4?

Zoe

For those of you who can get via internet to work, what kind of upload speeds do you have? We only have 3.4Mbps.

my setup would be ps4 connected to wifi and vita through wifi can you still use direct connect without a lan connection to the ps4?

My setup is this, and the performance is shit. Why do I have to connect the devices to a network? Why can't the two just do an ad hoc connection?

asdad123

I can't get my vita to find my ps4 on a different WiFi network. My ps4 is in standyby mode. Is there any special setting that I need to configure on my ps4? I was working fine with the direct connection yesterday.

Just a quick post on my experience today. Played about 5 minutes of AC:BF on the Vita. No noticeable lag, looked and played beautifully. Very happy...this is going to be a great solution for when the wife says to turn off the tv and come to bed.

BigDug13

My setup is this, and the performance is shit. Why do I have to connect the devices to a network? Why can't the two just do an ad hoc connection?

They can. You have to check direct connect in the remote play options on the PS4. For further troubleshooting, turn off "internet access" in the network settings to ensure that the wifi is doing nothing but connecting to your Vita.

They can. You have to check direct connect in the remote play options on the PS4. For further troubleshooting, turn off "internet access" in the network settings to ensure that the wifi is doing nothing but connecting to your Vita.

Can you explain this a little more? Turn of internet access on the vita?

And I'm sorry if all of my questions are really stupid, but I feel like I've followed all of the advice in here and I can't get a usable connection even standing five feet away from the PS4 so I feel like I am missing something super basic...

One oddity that may have already been mentioned:

If you "sleep" your Vita during remote play using the power button, you will have to reconnect when you pull the Vita back out of sleep.

If your Vita goes to sleep due to screen timeout, your remote play session won't disconnect and you can continue immediately when you pull your Vita out of sleep.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
NOOOOoooooo!

But... that's the best way. PS4 button mapping is a little more complex than PSX emulation.

It's better to have developers do it, and it's mandatory for them to do it unless the game uses camera or PS Move.

All developers said it's easy, they literally just re-map buttons so that it works well.

Ran rp

Is there any way to disable output to the television while using remote play? I'm afraid of entering passwords now if everyone will be able to see what I'm typing.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I believe they haven't enabled it yet as Japan doesn't have the ps4 yet
Damn. I really want to know if it gives the exact same 720p picture the PS4 gives with no quality lost.

I would've thought since it runs the same firmware as the Vita that the PS4 Link would be on there.

grave_danger

Neo Member
So if you enable the option on the PS4 that allows the Vita to connect via Wifi directly, the PS4 broadcasts itself as an access point with an SSID that begins with PS4. Is there any way to change this?

But... that's the best way. PS4 button mapping is a little more complex than PSX emulation.

It's better to have developers do it, and it's mandatory for them to do it unless the game uses camera or PS Move.

All developers said it's easy, they literally just re-map buttons so that it works well.

That's fine. My fear stems from Devs using the rear-touch poorly… which is absurdly easy to do in almost all cases IE: sprinting, ducking, pinch to zoom, etc.
Believe me, the Vita is one of my all time favorite systems but I hate the rear touch. It was a bad idea in retrospect and only title makes it look serviceable is Tearaway.

Weird, Resogun feels like shit on RP but Ass Flag is pretty great.

Only weird thing I've noticed: When using the Vita's speakers (opposed to headphones) it's quiet as hell.

johnny956

Weird, Resogun feels like shit on RP but Ass Flag is pretty great.

Only weird thing I've noticed: When using the Vita's speakers (opposed to headphones) it's quiet as hell.

I have my PS4 wired in the house. Router is next to my bedroom and works flawless. I did do some internet remote play at work Friday. It actually worked pretty well. Audio did get out of sync once. Resogun pixelates to hell during the level complete where everything explodes but overall the lag is impressive

diggler41

This feature really is nice. I like how if you go to far and lose signal it pauses. Just walk back into range unpaused. Really cool.

bbtankc

Neo Member
A question for Gaf: I know about the 30fps limitation, and ibam okay with that, but are the images sharp through rp? I was using rp on my ps3 and shadow of the colossus looked a tad blurry.

Top Bottom