• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: CBS Considering Dropping Supergirl Over Budget Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

https://www.thewrap.com/supergirl-r...on-possible-jump-to-cw-budget-cuts-exclusive/

supergirl-the-flash.jpg

It’s coming right down to the wire for “Supergirl.”

CBS boss Leslie Moonves is deep in talks with Warner Bros. Television about the fate of its super-expensive comic-book series starring Melissa Benoist, which wrapped up a less-than-superlative first season last month.

The network would like the show to come back, sources close to the series say, but there’s a problem. The roughly $3 million per-episode price tag CBS pays to broadcast “Supergirl” — one of the highest license fees ever for a freshman show — isn’t quite justified by the ratings. Thirteen million total viewers tuned in to the heavily-promoted premiere back in October, but about half the audience bailed over the season, according to Nielsen.

That has set the stage for a last-minute stare-down between Moonves and Warner Bros. TV chief Peter Roth. CBS will announce its fall schedule in two weeks at the upfront presentations in New York, so the clock is ticking to hammer out a deal.

Both sides have a potential out. Moonves could push “Supergirl” to The CW, which as it happens is a joint venture between CBS and Warners (Moonves and his team are responsible for programming the network). Such a switch would make perfect sense. The youth-skewing CW already has “The Flash” and other superhero franchises (there was a crossover between “Supergirl” and “The Flash” this season), and its audience is much more aligned with “Supergirl” than is CBS’ much-grayer viewership.

Fans have suggested such a move for months and lately the Hollywood rumor mill has gone into overdrive that “Supergirl” is flying to CW. But that move would be fraught for both producers and fans, as budget-conscious CW shows don’t tend to collect huge license fees for the studios. The upshot of a CW shift is that there would very likely be big budget cuts in the offing for “Supergirl.”

Sephzilla

They film Supergirl in California, which probably inflates the budget a ton (the CW shows film in Vancouver, I believe). Bring it to CW, cut the budget a little, and give us Crisis on Infinite CWs

C'mon make the CW deal already.

What are the main reason why Supergirl carries such a big price tag? Is it because of its relationship to the Superman property?

jelly

That seems pretty expensive for an episode.

I quite like the show but does have some really bad villains that make Smallville look good.

Dalek

C'mon make the CW deal already.

What are the main reason why Supergirl carries such a big price tag? Is it because of its relationship to the Superman property?

They film in LA (This is the big one)-and they have a big cast-I'm sure Calista Flockhart is paid well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They film Supergirl in California, which probably inflates the budget a ton (the CW shows film in Vancouver, I believe). Bring it to CW, cut the budget a little, and give us Crisis on Infinite CWs

If they adapt Powergirl's story to Supergirl (refugee from a destroyed alternate Earth) it could work. It'd even solve the Superman problem the show has.

"This world doesn't have a Superman, so it looks like they'll have to settle for Supergirl!"

♬ Superman's got nothing on me ♬

Furyous

Either move it to Netflix or CW. CW would be great and give fans the crossovers we deserve. Supergirl x Legends of Tomorrow could work. Supergirl x Arrow needs to happen for the comedy. Supergirl's humor and Ollie's somber struggle mood could play off each other perfectly. Supergirl should have a home this fall on some network.

ZeroX03

Banned
If it moves to The CW, that $3 million becomes $2 million. Even the benefits of moving it to Vancouver won't make up for that severe of a budget cut.
That said the production value they're getting for the $3 million aren't great, it's not a massive step up from The CW. Noticeably worse effects in places.

Also The CW's schedule is already tight as is. Air it Monday and one of the critically acclaimed shows gets pushed back even further?

As long as Trek gets the money, I understand.

Boo.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
If they need to make drastic budget cuts, goodbye J'onn J'onzz.

Speak for yourself.
Something tells me they have probably mulled this over at some point for his possible inclusion in the DCEU.

A move to the CW is better than a cancellation I guess.

Sephzilla

Either move it to Netflix or CW. CW would be great and give fans the crossovers we deserve. Supergirl x Legends of Tomorrow could work. Supergirl x Arrow needs to happen for the comedy. Supergirl's humor and Ollie's somber struggle mood could play off each other perfectly. Supergirl should have a home this fall on some network.

Supergirl would get killed because it would endanger those Oliver/Felicity ships

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How does a show with a $3 million per episode budget look so damn cheap and shitty? Is it all going to Ally McBeal or something?

Pluto

Where would the CW even put it? Their schedule is already packed.

And how would they afford it? WB would have to lower the licensing fee for the CW and if they lower it for them they can lower it for CBS.

The show is bad for numerous reasons. They should cut their losses.

How does a show with a $3 million per episode budget look so damn cheap and shitty? Is it all going to Ally McBeal or something?

The vaseline they smear on the camera in every scene she is in isn't cheap.

Arnie7

Banned
"I saw that Supergirl is on TV. I saw it when I was working out this morning, there was an ad promoting Supergirl. She looked pretty hot. I don't know what channel it's on, but I'm looking forward to that. ..."

1456690436850595880.jpg

Parch

Cable cutting is a reality, and with so much content spread out over multiple channels and sources, there just isn't the same amount of advertising revenue available anymore.

TV shows getting a big budget are going to be limited to the very few that get outstanding ratings. TV is never going to be the same, and low budget shows are the new reality. Quality is going to be affected when the per episode costs are limited.

Joni

There is one scary element to the move: are all actors moving with it?
But if this happens, CBS needs to pay, for instance by CW pushing Crazy Ex and Jane to the summer.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Cable cutting is a reality, and with so much content spread out over multiple channels and sources, there just isn't the same amount of advertising revenue available anymore.
CBS isn't helping the matter by not offering their shows on VOD services like Hulu. Nielson recently started recording data from popular streaming sources in 2015 and if it helps them get more eyes, they should utilize these services. So far the only way to stream the show is own their own site IIRC.

CW is already packed and honestly won't help that much budget wise unless they cut the cast and use less special effects.

I think the best thing for CBS if they renew it is to order a shortened season and still cut some of the cast.

Other than that I think it would be better off being cancelled, because I doubt a 2nd season will have much better ratings.

There is one scary element to the move: are all actors moving with it?

Doubtful. I think Calista would go if it moves to CW. Or just put Supergirl on Legends for s2, then figure something out the following year?
Though I'd rather have the cool mystical/magical s2 of Legends

Definitely some kind of crisis on infinite earths
CWs
could happen.

CBS isn't helping the matter by not offering their shows on VOD services like Hulu.

Supergirl is on Amazon Video.

Raxus

CBS isn't helping the matter by not offering their shows on VOD services like Hulu. Nielson recently started recording data from popular streaming sources in 2015 and if it helps them get more eyes, they should utilize these services. So far the only way to stream the show is own their own site IIRC.

To add to this the CBS player is god awful in my experience so it is usally watch live or just skip the episodes.

Effect

Filming in California has to certainly be the biggest issue with the budget. I enjoy Supergirl but $3 million an episode is not seen on screen. There isn't enough usage of her powers or even Martian Manhunter to explain that budget. It needs to have its filming moved. It never made sense why they decided to film it there.

The marketing for the show has been bad as well. When it goes on break there is never any notice that it will returned in two weeks or three weeks. There is hardly any previews after the episode ends to let people know what is coming up.When they put out previews they spoil significant chunks of the episode as well. That has to impact viewership.

Kyari

I started watching this show when it premiered but it lost me over Christmas, and having no real ties to Arrow or the Flash made me feel comparatively uninvested.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
CBS is launching their new streaming platform with exclusive shows like Star Trek, might as well move this there as well.

Unpopular opinion on gaf but there are way too many superhero shows on TV, I'd like to see more cut so some of that programming time can shift to other genres.

Shifting it to the all access streaming site would be great too, if that means the new Star Trek debuts on both streaming and air.

Dalek

Unpopular opinion on gaf but there are way too many superhero shows on TV, I'd like to see more cut so some of that programming time can shift to other genres.

Yes-Maybe CBS could use this money to focus on other genres like "Unsolved Crime" stories or "Crime Investigation" stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom