• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

If I remember correctly, 10k at first believed NicoWav said it in an older Gameblog podcast, but it wasn't actually the case, as daakusedo stated. And 10k already admitted he was wrong, by confusing him with Julien.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215352552&postcount=3252

Now, hopefully that's not the case, but I wonder if SMD is actually bringing up 10k's mistaken claim by stating Nico said NX is more powerful than PS4.

However, considering how daakusedo seems to be well informed on NicoWav's statements, I'd like to know (if possible) if he ever said NX would've been more powerful than PS4. That would also give a definitive and better context to NicoWav's reliability.

If NX is a tablet there is no way its above PS4. Unless it has a beastly dock mode, but even then probably not.

daakusedo

If I remember correctly, 10k at first believed NicoWav said it in an older Gameblog podcast, but it wasn't actually the case, as daakusedo stated. And 10k already admitted he was wrong, by confusing him with Julien.
mistaken claim by stating Nico said NX is more powerful than PS4.

However, considering how daakusedo seems to be well informed on NicoWav's statements, I'd like to know (if possible) if he ever said NX would've been more powerful than PS4. That would also give a definitive and better context to NicoWav's reliability.

I ain't gonna be able to teach the whole gang lol
He just said nx will be up to date technologically.
And he's backing up the hybrid side so...
Case closed.

I don't understand why it can't be both...one NX system that's primarily handheld first, but can be docked and a NX system that's console first, but has some mobile aspect too it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If NX is a tablet there is no way its above PS4. Unless it has a beastly dock mode, but even then probably not.

You know nothing, NX tablet has an unreleased AMD chip in it. /s

CrjF_tTVYAAaCmQ.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/SMetaldave64/status/772586510814023680

Let's show the full insanity if we show it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The 'more powerful than ps4' clownade needs to stop. Or shall I say, gaf needs to stop giving it attention. No console vendor will ever launch a console without an a priori devkit, and we have zero evidence such a devkit exists. End of story.

jax

Banned
I know most people don't care for SMD, but he made a new video on a podcasts from those Gameblog guys who leaked the PS meeting. Also he said Nico said the NX is more powerful than the PS4. Is that our same Nico we're using right now as a source??

https://youtu.be/ScwIn2mi1pg

This is the podcast
https://youtu.be/R2LtxxDlaQo

I guess they said
-NX is more powerful than PS4
-NX to have two Ubisoft exclusives
-It will be AR and VR compatible
-All Japanese third party devs on board with NX
-One is Beyond Good and Evil 2 and the other will release in the launch window
-They said the NX was "delayed" to get a specs increase
-Was going to launch in November 2017 with 30 games before delay
-Also they said the NX is a home console with a portable aspect to it

I'm listening for more and update. I think that's about everything. He said he has it all translated

My bad. They said Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an exclusive (they never specified when it would released), but said the other Ubisoft exclusive would be a launch window game.
This seems like absolute horse shit. Delayed to 2018? Come on.

MuchoMalo

Banned

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215352552&postcount=3252

Now, hopefully that's not the case, but I wonder if SMD is actually bringing up 10k's mistaken claim by stating Nico said NX is more powerful than PS4.

Called it. And if you point that out to him he'll just ignore you.

He meant November 2016.

Astorgh

I know most people don't care for SMD, but he made a new video on a podcasts from those Gameblog guys who leaked the PS meeting. Also he said Nico said the NX is more powerful than the PS4. Is that our same Nico we're using right now as a source??

https://youtu.be/ScwIn2mi1pg

This is the podcast
https://youtu.be/R2LtxxDlaQo

I guess they said
-NX is more powerful than PS4
-NX to have two Ubisoft exclusives
-It will be AR and VR compatible
-All Japanese third party devs on board with NX
-One is Beyond Good and Evil 2 and the other will release in the launch window
-They said the NX was "delayed" to get a specs increase
-Was going to launch in November 2017 with 30 games before delay
-Also they said the NX is a home console with a portable aspect to it

I'm listening for more and update. I think that's about everything. He said he has it all translated

My bad. They said Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an exclusive (they never specified when it would released), but said the other Ubisoft exclusive would be a launch window game.

lol bad quoting I think. In the video he actually says it was supposed to come out November 2016.

cinqpesetas

Neo Member
For those who give credits on gameblog's informations, i just want to give some precisions.
Julien Chieze who is one of the co-founder of gameblog is mostly responsible for Gameblog's informations/rumors that are discussed here. Half the time, he's wrong. Search Wii hifi + gameblog on google...
However, he has some insider connections especially from Ubisoft. Another co-founder of the site called Rahan (he left 2 or 3 years ago) is now working at Ubisoft Montreal IIRC. He is probably a good source for gameblog

Considering the other guy, Nico something, he is 100% bullshit.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I ain't gonna be able to teach the whole gang lol
He just said nx will be up to date technologically.
And he's backing up the hybrid side so...
Case closed.

Oh, didn't know he's backing the hybrid side.
I would ask you a source, but you seem to be well aware of what the guy says, and I suppose tracking back the tweet / wherever he said it is too much of an effort, so I'll trust you. Thanks.

daakusedo

Oh, didn't know he's backing the hybrid side.
I would ask you a source, but you seem to be well aware of what the guy says, and I suppose tracking back the tweet / wherever he said it is too much of an effort, so I'll trust you. Thanks.

I didn't put source because it's in one of his hours long facebook live where he talks really few about games, so indeed that would be a lot of effort.

NateDrake

No, not all of them. But they said most Japanese developers are on board.

That's kind of a given. PS Vita has no successor, and NX is going to be a Nintendo handheld - the type of device that has dominated Japan for years. Japanese companies supporting NX is kind of obvious. Doesn't mean we'll see Persona 5 or even a new Metal Gear appear on NX, but titles like Sonic or Monster Hunter will happen.

Vena

That's kind of a given. PS Vita has no successor, and NX is going to be a Nintendo handheld - the type of device that has dominated Japan for years. Japanese companies supporting NX is kind of obvious. Doesn't mean we'll see Persona 5 or even a new Metal Gear appear on NX, but titles like Sonic or Monster Hunter will happen.

Ehh. I wouldn't count out the Portable P5, that's basically a tradition at this point. May be unlikely but not impossible.

Sadist

And a new Metal Gear?

There's always Metal Gear Survive!
I'm sorry

True, portable versions a year or so later do tend to happen since the PSP. I was just using it as a broad example. Maybe RE7 would have been a better example.
If Capcom can port that game to your smartphone they'll do it :p

NateDrake

Ehh. I wouldn't count out the Portable P5, that's basically a tradition at this point. May be unlikely but not impossible.

True, portable versions a year or so later do tend to happen since the PSP. I was just using it as a broad example. Maybe RE7 would have been a better example.

If Capcom can port that game to your smartphone they'll do it :p
Only RE4 is lucky enough to be ported to every device known to man. It's Capcom's Rayman 2.

Vena

I know, I was just picking at that one particular. I think everyone would get your point in general though. :D

Malakai

I'm not big on understand this "power" stuff but wouldn't the NX still be more powerful than the PS4 when compared to units of "power" per wattage consumed....

How can he be 100% bullshit when he was right about Devil's Third, TP HD and a couple of Pokemon games....?

To be fair, while I wouldn't call him 100% bullshit, his predictions were actually rather vague from what others have said. He didn't specifically predict ORAS / Devil's Third / Twilight Princess, but rather "Two new Pokemon games" / "a major third party title" / "a remaster" (wording might not be perfect, but you get the picture).

It sounds like the predictions were actually super safe and vague.

That doesn't mean that he has no info, it just means that particular "leak" isn't exactly good evidence of any info he may have. I'd be skeptical for now, personally.

I'm not big on understand this "power" stuff but wouldn't the NX still be more powerful than the PS4 when compared to units of "power" per wattage consumed....

Eeeeehhhh... usually, when people talk power, they mean raw number-crunching capability, not power efficiency. A Toyota Prius may get crazy fuel efficiency compared to a Dodge Challenger, but the Challenger is the "powerful" car. Does that make sense?

I mean, efficiency is actually a great and important metric, but that isn't really what people are implying or inferring when they refer to "power".

Snakeyes

What you're describing is a continuation of what's already happening on the 3DS, whereas what they imply in the video is something a lot more substantial. There's an underlying tone of stronger support that Nintendo platforms haven't seen in a long time.

Interestingly enough, RE7 was one of the ports mentioned in the video.

Dystify

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Bandai Namco are working on Mario Sports Superstars (with Camelot). There was a rumor (by Serkan Toto, Link) that they are working on several titles for NX. Imo this makes it more believable that it's coming to NX.

It doesn't make the leaker more credible in my opinion, because it could be another educated guess.

This is actually why it's feasible (though not guaranteed) that the NX could basically fold the PSP/Vita's market in alongside the 3DS' and the Wii U's.

It's safe to say it will be the Nintendo box, and that it will be the platform of choice for the existing 3DS support, and it isn't a stretch to assume that the remaining chunks of the VN/RPG market on the PSP/Vita migrate over as well with no other option for a dedicated handheld.

However, IF the NX is relatively powerful and relatively easy to port to, it may also take over the PSP/Vita's position as the destination for handheld versions of console titles... basically just by nature of being the only handheld left.

While monopolies aren't generally something to be excited about, western developers who previously favored the PSP/Vita over the DS line may end up putting handheld ports on the NX just by default.

That's assuming that the NX is powerful enough, easy enough to port to, and has a user base large enough to be worth targeting. Any one of those being less than ideal could be a big wall for publishers and developers who traditionally don't put titles on Nintendo systems for whatever reason.

EDIT: In other words... even if I might not bet on it, I sure as hell wouldn't put money down against P5P or Metal Gear UnwantedSpinoff

Maybe the NicoWave guy isn't wrong but he misinterpreted what he heard. Easy ports from PS4 could be doable due to feature set parity, but he might of taken that as more powerful than PS4.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Actually I'd say P5 getting an NX version eventually is all but assured. There's been a portable remake/port of every single Persona game and they're the only Portable left.

NateDrake

This is actually why it's feasible (though not guaranteed) that the NX could basically fold the PSP/Vita's market in alongside the 3DS' and the Wii U's.

It's safe to say it will be the Nintendo box, and that it will be the platform of choice for the existing 3DS support, and it isn't a stretch to assume that the remaining chunks of the VN/RPG market on the PSP/Vita migrate over as well with no other option for a dedicated handheld.

However, IF the NX is relatively powerful and relatively easy to port to, it may also take over the PSP/Vita's position as the destination for handheld versions of console titles... basically just by nature of being the only handheld left.

While monopolies aren't generally something to be excited about, western developers who previously favored the PSP/Vita over the DS line may end up putting handheld ports on the NX just by default.

That's assuming that the NX is powerful enough, easy enough to port to, and has a user base large enough to be worth targeting. Any one of those being less than ideal could be a big wall for publishers and developers who traditionally don't put titles on Nintendo systems for whatever reason.
I do think NX will absorb the dev support Vita has had in Japan. NX should be Japanese third-party and Nintendo supported machine. Western support is the bigger mystery.

Actually I'd say P5 getting an NX version eventually is all but assured. There's been a portable remake/port of every single Persona game and they're the only Portable left.
It was just a broad example.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. No Vita 2/PSP3 in the horizon means devs would have to decide between the new Nintendo handheld that should be more than capable of handling their projects or Steam/Ps4. I guess it'll all depend on how Japan reacts to it but I think they'll gravitate to a system that has Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Dragon Quest within the first year especially if Capcom will continue putting MH on Nintendo handhelds then they could very well have basically all major Japanese IPs on it.
Japanese games+All of Nintendo's IPs would set it apart from PS4/X1 at least as a must have secondary console. As someone that has a PS4 and PC, it sounds pretty good to me

Hey, I'm just saying, all of those inferior Monster Hunter clones have to go somewhere, and there's a lot of money in low-budget weeb-focus-tested fanservice-ridden trash RPGs.

I won't throw shade at VNs though. I'm pretty fond of a few specific examples, so I won't smacktalk the whole genre :D

I do think NX will absorb the dev support Vita has had in Japan. NX should be Japanese third-party and Nintendo supported machine. Western support is the bigger mystery.

Right, I was more springboarding off what you said than directly challenging anything. The western support in particular is something we may not really have a good read on until the system has been out for a little bit.

ASIS

Maybe 10do.de IS right at the end. XD

Something tells me we will hear somethinn in the next 24 hours. My stommach tells me...or do I just need to fart? .__.

It's already sept 6th in Japan. So it should be any minute now.

I would let it go though. I just find it incredibly difficult to believe they would announce a console out of the blue like that.

Oregano

I think Japanese support will be worse than a lot of people assume but you only have to look at recent/current sales in Japan to see why they might consider NX more viable than previous Nintendo systems.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. No Vita 2/PSP3 in the horizon means devs would have to decide between the new Nintendo handheld that should be more than capable of handling their projects or Steam/Ps4. I guess it'll all depend on how Japan reacts to it but I think they'll gravitate to a system that has Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Dragon Quest within the first year especially if Capcom will continue putting MH on Nintendo handhelds then they could very well have basically all major Japanese IPs on it.
Japanese games+All of Nintendo's IPs would set it apart from PS4/X1 at least as a must have secondary console. As someone that has a PS4 and PC, it sounds pretty good to me

I think the fact that SE has dedicated DQ/DW to NX BEFORE its launch is a good indication of interest from Japan's development community. Has Dragon Quest ever been committed to a console prior to its unveiling?

It's already sept 6th in Japan. So it should be any minute now.

I would let it go though. I just find it incredibly difficult to believe they would announce a console out of the blue like that.

Of course it is bullshit.^^

But someday they will announce something. Tomorrow they will show it...you know today was tomorrow just yesterday.

Somehow I feel like the person in this comic. Just chage the last guardiam with the nx.

cv0132.jpg

Schnozberry

Assumption. September is still my expectation for the reveal.

If they're targeting late mid-late March, seems like mid-late September would allow them to control the gaming news cycle for a bit and preempt some dollars meant for the Holiday season for some people, or at least nab some pre-orders.

I think the fact that SE has dedicated DQ/DW to NX BEFORE its launch is a good indication of interest from Japan's development community. Has Dragon Quest ever been committed to a console prior to its unveiling?
Not sure, but Nintendo had to have told them something for them to get on board immediately. Or maybe they're thinking like us how without a Vita successor Nintendo will have the handheld development scene on lock down. Hope that their sign of confidence is rewarded if they do it right.
I hope NX has a good launch, I'm pretty sure that, despite recovering after the 3DS's massive price drop, many Japanese developers started looking elsewhere after sales proved lackluster. I recall reading that Konami slashed the budgets of basically all of their 3DS games including MGS3 (don't remember where I read that, but it sounds about right).
If Nintendo can prevent a repeat and the sales are always relatively high then it's a promising sign

MuchoMalo

Banned
I really think that Nintendo should have held the NX event last week instead of a 3DS direct and saved the 3DS direct for October. It seems really unlikely that they'll beat TGS, and since that's where all of their third-party support is coming from they should have made that a priority. Dumb.

I really think that Nintendo should have held the NX event last week instead of a 3DS direct and saved the 3DS direct for October. It seems really unlikely that they'll beat TGS, and since that's where all of their third-party support is coming from they should have made that a priority. Dumb.

No, they definitely made the right call in having the 3DS Direct first. Once the NX is revealed, no one's sticking around to watch a 3DS-focused video.

Neoxon

If they did the NX event first, nobody would have gave even a fraction of a fuck about the 3DS's line-up. Best to give the 3DS its last hurrah first before it gets completely overshadowed by the NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom