• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

level44

Well, to each their own. Superior tech has nothing I find worth playing. I go where the games are. The PS4 was one of my biggest buyers remorse moment in awhile

Why didn't you wait until there was something you wanted to play on it? You only have yourself to blame in this situation.

Armaros

Let me know when PS4 has something that rivals Titanfall or Halo and maybe we'll talk.

In the grand scheme of things the power difference between PS4 and Xbone have been grossly exaggerated by people on the internet. It's funny how many fanboys became pixel counters and framerate fiends during the launch of this generation. You'd all be better serviced by a gaming PC if image quality is such a concern.

To sum it up : "Have you seen Titanfall"

And 'lol pixel counting', except for the times during the previous generation where people were docking points off the ps3 versions Of games because of graphical differences much much smaller then from the ps4 to xbone.

hwy_61

Banned
I sold my Xbox One not even a month after getting it for a PS4. I realized in that time the mistake I made. Kinect is still a piece of shit, and I've been eating crow ever since I went against anyone who put it down before it released.

we don't have time to play all games in all systems, let alone sue you.

i never got this argument. being a gamer does not mean buying everything and playing everything and hoarding every game that has ever existed.

Who says you have to buy both at the same time? you can't buy one at launch and then buy the others when they're dirt cheap to play the good exclusives you heard about?

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
For those who owned both system last gen, did you buy them both at launch or did you wait a little while before you got the second? I'm asking because I don't see why someone who had both last gen can't still be planning on having both this gen.

I was a PC gamer until I got the PS2 for Christmas 2002. I've been a Playstation guy since. I bought PS3 at launch, because I believed Sony's lies. (I have high hopes for PS4.) Despite its shortcomings, it is still my favorite console of all time. I bought Xbox 360 when Crackdown was hot, but never really got the taste for any content on it. In retrospect, Crackdown is the only game that I would miss, if I didn't have access to X360 but had managed to play it at some point. Mass Effect was great, but it's on PS3. Bioshock was great, but it's on PS3. Alan Wake was great(ish), but it's on PC. Nothing else really tickles my fancy.

This time I bought PS4 at launch and I find it incredibly hard to believe I'll ever get Xbone. Remedy's new game can be OK(ish) again, but I wouldn't be surprised if it landed on PC at some point. But except for that, not really seeing much that interests me personally.

It tells something about me that I didn't even realise that I'm one of those guys who owned both last round. I'm sure there's a ton of guys who had X360 as their primary console so strongly that they don't feel like multi-console owners. Therefore I would never start a statement with "I own both consoles, but..." because in some way I would feel like lying.

Savitar

I was one of the pretty loyal 360 base last gen and this one has gone PS4, don't have the slightest interest in the Xbox One.

And 'lol pixel counting', except for the times during the previous generation where people were docking points off the ps3 versions Of games because of graphical differences much much smaller then from the ps4 to xbone.

Which was stupid, PS3s faults weren't due to it being slightly worse. It had worse issues.

One has to give Microsoft credit for their agility. They do react quickly to criticism (manifested in relatively bad sales numbers) and change the system as good as they can. One can only wish that Nintendo would do the same.

Pressure is good. Not so much pressure that companies go bust, but enough pressure to make them improve their products. After all, the shit Sony got for the PS3 is the reason why we now have the PS4.

i don't think xbox views the changes as good, though. i think they were forced to do that and they aren't happy their vision did not materialise. so to us that was improvement but to them it was, "damn it all these years of effort, man-hours, software and hardware dev, business talks and sales pitches, business analysis, financial and market forecasts, etc. we have to just give up.because they don't get it."

i think they sincerely thought it was so awesome the consumers were going to gobble it up, they were so far ahead of playstation in terms of innovation. they felt they were doing an apple to the industry.

as for me, who knows about the plans that they had had their original vision been a reality. they probably had slides for the next 2-3 e3s showcasing the evolution of that ecosystem.

now they're in a place where they working on an ecosystem that wasn't their vision and they're hating it.

cchum

I sold my Xbox One not even a month after getting it for a PS4. I realized in that time the mistake I made. Kinect is still a piece of shit, and I've been eating crow ever since I went against anyone who put it down before it released.

image.php

TomShoe

Banned

Arguments only count when you're winning. It was true back in '07 and it's still true today.

Biker19

Banned
Well, to each their own. Superior tech has nothing I find worth playing. I go where the games are. The PS4 was one of my biggest buyers remorse moment in awhile.

Look at this list here.

Some of the most biggest ones, like MGS V: Ground Zeroes, & inFamous: Second Son, aren't too far away from releasing at this moment.

DrkSage

Let me know when PS4 has something that rivals Titanfall or Halo and maybe we'll talk.

In the grand scheme of things the power differences between PS4 and Xbone have been grossly exaggerated by people on the internet. It's funny how many fanboys became pixel counters and framerate fiends during the launch of this generation. You'd all be better serviced by a gaming PC if image quality is such a concern.

And there here we go again with the "if you're so concerned about graphics/FPS/pixels get a PC". Why do people always end up saying that as an argument?

Well, to each their own. Superior tech has nothing I find worth playing. I go where the games are. The PS4 was one of my biggest buyers remorse moment in awhile.

Well clearly you don't, you bought a new console and then suddenly: gutted! because you have nothing to play on it.

In the grand scheme of things the power differences between PS4 and Xbone have been grossly exaggerated by people on the internet. It's funny how many fanboys became pixel counters and framerate fiends during the launch of this generation. You'd all be better serviced by a gaming PC if image quality is such a concern.

Wow. Managed to fill out all of my bingo card with this one post.

Who says you have to buy both at the same time? you can't buy one at launch and then buy the others when they're dirt cheap to play the good exclusives you heard about?
games come up all the time. playing one game means giving up on this game, unless you plan on playing every 9+ rated game which means you create a backlog. being a gamer just means you enjoy games, period. there's no responsibility to play all games, nor does it warrant any prestige in doing so.

I never quite get this argument. Those are still brand new consoles. 98% of the best games these systems will have over their entire lifetime are still ahead of us.

I don't get it either. It seems like people ignore multiplats for some reason. The best next-game game I played last year was mutliplat and cross gen (AC4).

iamjohn

Its not just the games; Research didn't tell me that everutime I go to PlayStation Live, I would catch dudes getting their dicks sucked in 720p. The ecosystem just appalling, consumer friendly or not.

It really baffles me that Playstation can't put a stop to this kind of stuff.

fred

No surprise, it's too expensive. I also wonder how much of a difference the games available from PlayStation Plus has made compared to the ones you get from a Live subscription. There's been a few PS4 games available so far (although only downloadable titles so far) and the PS3 and Vita games also demonstrate better value. We also get bugger all over here in the UK with regards to multimedia stuff like sports.

TrounceX

No.

To sum it up: "show me the games".

Microsoft now has two exclusive IP's that appeal to me more than anything Sony is offering, and the slim power advantage of the PS4 is not enough to sway me from the games I enjoy.

MercuryLS

Banned
Its not just the games; Research didn't tell me that everutime I go to PlayStation Live, I would catch dudes getting their dicks sucked in 720p. The ecosystem just appalling, consumer friendly or not.

Yeah man, every time I log into Playstation Live (lol) I see two dude sucking each other off. It's really off putting.

Drek

Almost a decade since Xbox Live Uno and people still think online video tied to a video game console isn't going to be creepy as fuck.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
For those who owned both system last gen, did you buy them both at launch or did you wait a little while before you got the second? I'm asking because I don't see why someone who had both last gen can't still be planning on having both this gen.

I got a 360 in 2007. PS3 in 2012.

I don't have the time/interest to keep up with games on more than one platform really. And I have less of this gen than last gen.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They hate having better sales than if they launched the DRM version?

Well their longer term plans were presumably based on the assumption that everybody with an Xbone was constantly connected to the internet. Whether we would regard those plans as good or bad is a different issue, but when your long-term plans for the console are based on such a central piece of its functionality and the backlash against it is so strong that you're forced to change it months before release, presumably a lot of plans have to go into the rubbish bin, or at least back to the drawing board.

The issue is the same with Kinect. The long-term goal of Kinect, we can be fairly sure, is to facilitate the introduction of new revenue streams through stuff like NuAds. The dilemma for MS is that by keeping the Kinect in the box, they're harming their sales, which is going to harm their revenue streams when they do actually start introducing NuAds. But on the other hand, if they remove Kinect from the box altogether, they are losing all of their potential future revenue from NuAds even though their revenue from sales will probably increase.

It's clear that the original goal of the Xbone, no matter what functionality it presented to the end user, was 'diversification of revenue streams' in MS's home console space, through a combination of various ads, microtransactions, etc., aided by the always-connected nature of the console in its original form. The consumer pushback had a far larger effect on MS and the Xbone than I think a lot of people acknowledge, and it will have required a lot of analysis to figure out exactly how they're going to claw back their investment.

The consumer pushback had a far larger effect on MS and the Xbone than I think a lot of people acknowledge, and it will have required a lot of analysis to figure out exactly how they're going to claw back their investment.

Agreed, but while initial plans may have failed, and possible investments lost they might "refigure" how to sell a gaming console and stick to it; remember Xbox is their most successful hardware and a brand name with lots of recognition. If Apple and Google are looking at entering the market you can bet MS is gonna want to stick it to them. Hell half of M$ plans have been simply to hault and annoy Apple to mixed and usual poor success.

shandy706

Zoo Tycoon? Go play an abundance of better versions of the same game on PC. Talking in absolutes like this is dumb. Sad to see you stoop to this level.

PC or X1...either way he can't play them on the PS4.

What level is he stooping to?

I have and/or can play both on PC. I still play the X1 versions. Depends on my mood and who's online.

Money isn't a big worry for me finally in life though. I just buy everything I like.

PC or X1...either way he can't play them on the PS4.

What level is he stooping to?

I have and/or can play both on PC. I still play the X1 versions. Depends on my mood and who's online.

Bingo.

I mean, look at 360/Ps3 Minecraft and soon to be Xbox One/PS4 Minecraft. That game prints money regardless of "best version".

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well it's a better value, really. Would you rather have a new version of Kinect that still kinda sucks, or a more powerful machine for $100 less?
fCxPNXI.png

Bang on.

No.

To sum it up: "show me the games".

Microsoft now has two exclusive IP's that appeal to me more than anything Sony is offering, and the slim power advantage of the PS4 is not enough to sway me from the games I enjoy.
Personal tastes are personal tastes and that's cool, but don't it twisted - the power difference isn't slim.

Well it's a better value, really. Would you rather have a new version of Kinect that still kinda sucks, or a more powerful machine for $100 less?

Well it certainly isn't doing MS any favours being weaker yet costs more than it's rival, And whenever multi-plat games are now released it'd be off-putting coming online forums as x1 owners will always be reminded how inferior it is, And small trivial things like that can also sway people as no one likes to be reminded they paid more for less even if they didn't buy the console for multi-plats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom