• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric Flair

Banned
I had both systems last-gen. I know it isn't the case anymore, but when I was choosing systems it was hard not to think about the DRM shit Microsoft attempted to pull on consumers before the cat got let out of the bag. I'll still pick up an xbone at some point, although probably not for awhile

Lol so Live on Playstation has become chat roulette? If we are going to use anecdotes as proof, I'd say that the majority of us have seen zero dicks sucked. Maybe a few dumb girls flashing.

You sure you were on your PS4 and not your Pc? :p

Man I didn't see any girls flashing...

jayu26

Lol so Live on Playstation has become chat roulette? If we are going to use anecdotes as proof, I'd say that the majority of us have seen zero dicks sucked. Maybe a few dumb girls flashing.

You sure you were on your PS4 and not your Pc? :p

I still don't know what the fuck is PlayStation Live. Can someone enlighten me?

I wouldn't as I'd be wanting to play next fen games at that point.

Not everyone is a super hardcore gamer whose life revolves around the hobby. A lot of us just game for fun and know we'll only play a fraction of the great games as we have other things we prioritize our time and money for.

buying another console from the same generation over half a decade from today makes you a no life loser?

Majanew

Banned
No.

To sum it up: "show me the games".

Microsoft now has two exclusive IP's that appeal to me more than anything Sony is offering, and the slim power advantage of the PS4 is not enough to sway me from the games I enjoy.

660 GFLOPS in PS4's favor is slim? lol, that's the computational power of 3 Xbox 360 GPUs. That's not taking the RAM (bandwidth and not having to cram your buffer into 32MB) advantage into account, nor the other advantages PS4's GPU has like CUs, ACEs.

hwy_61

Banned
Is that what it's called? "Live from PlayStation"?

Yes. The chat roulette part seems to be coming from the folks streaming via Ustream, While the Twitch side is more focused on games.

The Ustream OF COURSE is the one to pay attention to. At least I do.

That describes me.

This.

I was an xbox and 360 launch buyer, bought a PS3 2009 because i got sick of MS lack of first party support (but 360 was still my main console because better running multiplats) and now i`m a PS4 only gamer and have no plans to go after the xbox one ("drm online future", weaker hardware and first party support).

Marco1

Sony are about to announce VR for PS4 and with the cheaper, smaller and faster console how exactly are MS going to compete?
Both companies have had the longest generation ever to prepare for this and the best MS can come up with is a larger, less specced box with the PSU still on the outside and a camera accessory built into the OS that I still have issues with. Kinect 2.0 and xbone will never have my sky HD box plugged into the HDMI IN on my xbone so the only thing it has to offer is worse performing multi plats and more gears and halo.
It's just as well that I will hold onto it for gears and halo.
But that's not what MS needs right now.
Sony learned a valuable lesson last gen and MS learned absolutely nothing.

dorkimoe

I went ps4 first this gen. But I'm getting an xbox one ASAP. Ps4 is collecting dust due to I have knack and that's about it. And infamous finally coming and the show

jayu26

Yes. The chat roulette part seems to be coming from the folks streaming via Ustream, While the Twitch side is more focused on games.

SomewhatGroovy might be pissed about this, but me, I'm way more excited for PS4.

Yes. It's a menu option on the PS4 and PSN mobile app
. On the ps4 dashboard there is a section called live on (from?) playstation.It's just all of the ustream and twitch channels currently being streamed via ps4s.
Thanks guys.

VariantX

After owning 2 xbox 360's, 50+ games, and nearly 5 years of live since 2008, was ready to go with an Xbox One till the adam orth blow up. Then I got cautious when the rumors started flying. When the rumors were confirmed, MS was basically dead to me. The price tag and power disadvantages to Sony's offering were extra nails in the coffin. Sony also doesn't wall off my apps behind a paywall either.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Yup. Technically if they blocked you from streaming playroom they could get rid of all the garbage channels that have " tweak and tits" in description. Usually it's just people trying to get their view and follower counts up.

Wish there were a way to filter out playroom streams. Maybe include parental controls to block them or something.

d9b

Banned
Xbox owners deserting Microsoft console for the Playstation 4:

Camel-Caravan-in-the-Sahara1.jpg

Sydle

I'll get both again. Went with a Xbox first because of KI and I know I'll enjoy Kinect Sports Rivals, Fable Legends, Forza Horizon 2, and Halo 5. I'm also curious about Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, and the arcade-like games such as Below, Super Time Force, and D4.

I will get a PS4 when Uncharted 4 releases and then catch up on Infamous SS and The Order. Then I'll look forward to God of War 4 and The Last Guardian whenever those come out, as well as try Media Molecule's new game (I didn't really get into LBP). I'll also keep waking up every day hoping for a new Jak & Daxter by ND.

Those on top of a Wii U and PC gaming. No desire to swear allegiance to just one when there are good games on all.

natertots

Yeah, if you can manage to buy one, second month in a row without a single unit in stores.

People with pre orders from December still waiting to get one.

Crazy.

Not disagreeing at all. I went to my local Meijer yesterday and they hade 5 sitting in the case. The worker said they put them on display at 2 a.m. At this point they had been on display for 12 hours. If you live in the metro Detroit area check out your local Meijer. The one I visited was in Royal Oak on Coolidge highway at 14 mile.

Report: some last generation multi console owners are choosing PS4 over Xbox one as their first new console.
If this was last gen I'd say, sure, that makes sense.

But with both consoles having subscription fees for multiplayer I'm not so sure. I'd think that players will be even more invested in their initial platforms this time around. That second console may come, sure, but at a very low price and without a subscription.

And while I'm sure this goes against many here who have swooped up both consoles in this launch period, I'm not really talking about you guys - but everybody else. And its just a gut feeling with some possibly a bit too much rational rumination behind it really.

I have more than enough stuff to play on both consoles, so these "lol it has no games" comments don't make much sense.
Isn't it somewhat of a valid comment though? When some one says that, I think they're commenting on the fact that there are few games on the PS4 that I can't also play on this console. And if you're the type of person who doesn't care about indies, there are even less. It's seems like a sensible statement to me.

teiresias

I have more than enough stuff to play on both consoles, so these "lol it has no games" comments don't make much sense.

Seriously. There's people in the Infamous threads that have finished the game already - even before the official release date. I mean, really? Maybe I'm just old now and have other things to do, but marathoning a game for like fifteen hours straight is just not appealing. It's like binge drinking.

If this was last gen I'd say, sure, that makes sense.

But with both consoles having subscription fees for multiplayer I'm not so sure. I'd think that players will be even more invested in their initial platforms this time around. That second console may come, sure, but at a very low price and without a subscription.

And while I'm sure this goes against many here who have swooped up both consoles in this launch period, I'm not really talking about you guys - but everybody else. And its just a gut feeling with some possibly a bit too much rational rumination behind it really.

As digital downloads don't transfer over to the next gen, it doesn't make too much sense to buy a new console just because you currently subscribe to it's online MP service.

v1lla21

Cool, more friends for me I guess. I don't care about brands I just buy the console when there is games that get my attention. I owned every system last gen and this gen i'll do the same again. I already have a Wii U and a PS4. I'm just waiting on good games for the Xbox One since the only game worth playing on that system is also on PC, which I have one.

People bitch about the PS4 having no games but all it comes down is to preference. None of the Xbox exclusives appeal to me so far so to me the Xbox has no games. What will people say when Garden Warfare and Titanfall come out for the PS4 later on? Two of Xbox's exclusives will be gone.

Seriously. There's people in the Infamous threads that have finished the game already - even before the official release date. I mean, really? Maybe I'm just old now and have other things to do, but marathoning a game for like fifteen hours straight is just not appealing. It's like binge drinking.

Right there with you. I think I'm gonna buy a lot less games this gen than I did during the last.

S¡mon

Banned
[...]

Agreed. Sony is being slow to update the firmware. Hell, one feature I was really excited for I think Sony completely forgot they promised (Doesn't help that most other people do too), the ability to let your friend take over your game for you if you can't get past a spot. But, they haven't really added any other major features yet they promised but didn't come out at launch. Save supporting some headsets. I wish people would start taking Sony to task for that.

That's a Gaikai / PlayStation Now functionality.

Or any of the multiplatforms? Seriously what is up with people not buying mutiplatforms?

Don't even need to buy them. I've sunk about a hundred hours into the likes of Warframe, Don't Starve and War Thunder at this point and had a fantastic time doing so.

Didn't cost me anything.

360 was the best choice in 2005-2008 but anyone with taste could see that ps3 dominated since 2009 and now they are set to dominate with ps4. xbox360 doing well was just luck because ps3 was priced too high to begin with. Lets be real MS is only in this to make a quick buck Sony is far more in touch with gamers. MS is basically going to make a bunch of forgettable shooters in order to sucker people into DLC and gimmicks like Kinect for the casuals. Basically at the end of the day , playstation has the exclusives we love playstation has the variety and the creativity that MS will always lack.

beast786

MS must be in trouble , even when PS4 has no games and MS have all the exclusives and best games they are still getting outsold close to 2:1 worldwide. The system must be really appalling to gamers.

Bi3sDgwIYAAOrGo.jpg

BestBuy in Chicago - No PS4's, but stacks of XBO's.

Honestly, I think it needs more than a price drop to stay competitive. TitanFall looks great to the casual consumer, but when they realize it'll cost them $500, they get cold feet.

Problem is, I can't think of any retail XBO exclusive games coming out between now and holiday period / post-E3. Am I mistaken?

And Halo 5 will be 2015, which begs the question - what will people want to drop $500 on this year? Not a lot.

PS4 is in a similar situation, but riding off great social media chatter / word of mouth and a lower price point. It has a weak stream of exclusives, but stronger than XBO. Second Son this week, with a superior version of MGS. Then FFXIV, DW8, MLB2014 (the only baseball game this year exclusive to PlayStation platforms.)

But then there are heavily marketed multiplatform titles in favor of PS4, like Watch Dogs and Destiny. And forget marketing for a moment. In all likelihood, PS4 multiplatforms will run better. Reviewers mention things like that and forums go crazy about it. That will lead to stronger software sales on PS4, too.

Going to be a rough year for XBO. Give it time, a price drop, and a hard-hitting exclusive like Halo 5 or Gears, and they'll be fine.

I owned both systems last generation. Most of the games I bought were on the playstation 3, although I had about 4 games or so for the xbox. I only have a PS4 at the moment.

Back in February before the big E3 event I had planned on eventually getting both consoles like last generation, leaning towards PS4. After the reveal of XBOX1's policies, I decided to not get it. It felt to me like they were attempting to put forth anti-consumer policies. Even with their many reversals they have lost me as a willing customer. They would have to make a game that I really really want.

It might seem dumb but their policies revealed last summer have just turned me away from the brand.

Mastamind

All of my friends but 1 picked up xbox. So most of my multiplats are going to be around what people actually own, because if you arent playing with your friends whats the point.

I actually picked up both at launch, but after resogun and dont starve my ps4 hasnt been turned back on and for the foreseeable future doesnt look like it will change. Only had to charge my ps4 controller 2 or 3 times :( (Where my rpgs)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
buying another console from the same generation over half a decade from today makes you a no life loser?

Huh? I made no value judgement in my statement. Was just saying that not everyone is a hardcore gamer who needs to own every platform or play every game. I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with hardcore gamers. Just saying different strokes for different folks. I'm a variety is the spice of life kind of guy, so I'm not hardcore into anyone hobby. Others just love games and want to put all their hobby time into that. Nothing wrong with, or better about, either approach.

360 was the best choice in 2005-2008 but anyone with taste could see that ps3 dominated since 2009 and now they are set to dominate with ps4. xbox360 doing well was just luck because ps3 was priced too high to begin with. Lets be real MS is only in this to make a quick buck Sony is far more in touch with gamers. MS is basically going to make a bunch of forgettable shooters in order to sucker people into DLC and gimmicks like Kinect for the casuals. Basically at the end of the day , playstation has the exclusives we love playstation has the variety and the creativity that MS will always lack.

Dude, while I agree with your point that PS3 was the better games system. Lets not be naive here.

Sony is NOT more in touch with gamers. They are in gaming for a buck just as much as MS is. The only difference is that Sony has been more ammenable to gamers lately because they have had to be, since they need to rebound from PS3. During the early PS3 days, their arrogance was legendary.

In the last few months I fear they have been slipping back into their old habits. The PS4's success has made their heads get big again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom