• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican Debate 10 [CNN] Super Tuesday Bros. Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

TPM (Josh Marshall): Trump's Dominating Performance

but I especially though this piece from their live blog was on point
This 'dying in the streets' debate is a good example of the way Republican elites managed to convince themselves that their middle class and working class supporters are laissez-faire free marketeers who want to cut their own Medicare. Cruz thinks he managed a huge coup by proving that he will let people "die in the streets" whereas Trump will not. Completely meaningless point in policy terms and one that makes him look stupid to basically everyone who's not employed by a right-wing think tank in Washington. (And because Trump is saying it, everybody gets that we're talking about white people.)

Every single national poll says trump not only won, but destroyed everyone. I cannot find one single poll that says Trump didn't win. This is only going to help Trump even further.

Are these scientific polls? Literally every establishment rag, conservative and liberal, is claiming a Rubio victory. The Atlantic's headline is particularly embarrassing.
"Donald Trump's Terrible Night", it says.

nib95

Banned
Are these scientific polls? Literally every establishment rag, conservative and liberal, is claiming a Rubio victory. The Atlantic's headline is particularly embarrassing.

Obviously they're going to say that though. Time is running out for them to shift momentum away from Trump.

Fuck the biased media. Want to vote to Trump just to screw them. Them acting like these other goons are better than Trump when they are horrible is embarrassing.

It's amazing how delusional Fox News and the Republican Party are. If Marco Rubio has proven anything over the last 2 months, it's that he's the weakest candidate to go up against Hilary Clinton.

Rubio is only consistent at one thing -- being a loser.

Rubio was #3 in Iowa.

Rubio was #5 in New Hampshire.

Rubio was #2 in South Carolina, but he *barely* beat Ted Cruz here. (Rubio 22.48% vs Cruz 22.34%) Rubio had the endorsement of South Carolina governor Nikki Haley, and he STILL lost to Trump.

Rubio was #2 in Nevada, but he barely beat Ted Cruz here. (Rubio 23.9% vs Cruz 21.4%)

Pre-debate polls show that Rubio is losing to Trump in his home state, Florida.
547394.jpg

sangreal

I don't think there are any scientific polls yet so poster is probably referring to junk online polls. That said, the establishment press was always going to say Rubio won so that doesn't mean much. You have to look at the far-right alternative press like Breitbart to see if Trump actually hurt himself. They only have their live blog up now so we will see in the morning

Any time someone tries to convince me that a specific event will erode Trump's support, I reply with some version of this:

You're talking about voters who are supporting a candidate who mocked John McCain for being captured, who called for a total ban on all Muslims entering the United States, and who spoke approvingly of shooting Muslims with bullets dipped in pig's blood.

You must be crazy if you think any of these people are going to give up on Trump based on debate performances, flip-flopping positions, tax returns, or anything else. He's their guy and they're there to stay.

The last scene of Dr. Strange love comes to mind.

Make it easier for the dems.

Dennis

Banned
Fuck the biased media. Want to vote to Trump just to screw them. Them acting like these other goons are better than Trump when they are horrible is embarrassing.

At least Trump finds people dying in the street unacceptable.

Rubio and Cruz thinks that is a-ok as long the horror of "socialized medicine" is avoided.

Afrodium

Banned
Really? I feel like Trump has just taken the platform to it's extremes.

Nah, even though he says a bunch of racist shit and talks about murdering the families of suspected terrorists, he's somewhat moderate a lot of issues. The fact that the GOP frontrunner tonight said that Planned Parenthood actually does some good things, wasn't 100% pro-Israel, and believes poor people have a right to some form of healthcare is pretty crazy. It's almost as if most GOP voters don't actually care about most conservative talking points and actually vote based on bigotry and fear.

Also, I think Trump really faltered here, but it's way too late for one bad debate performance to fuck up his chances. Everybody was too afraid to attack him for too long because the divided field meant a really good Trump burn could kill their poll numbers and standing with donors, but now that they're finally in a position to hit him, he's too well-entrenched and has dug his message in too deeply. It's a brilliant paradigm he's set up wherein disagreement with him cannot help but look like establishment bullshit to his supporters. Cruz keeps harping on how Donald is fun, "like a circus", but what he and the rest of the GOP fail to understand is that Trump's entire appeal is not that he's some kind of clown, or dancing bear, but that he's the ringmaster, while everything around him is a series of ridiculous acts.

params7

Banned
Cruz accused Trump of supporting "socialized medicine" because he talked about how he didn't want people dying in the streets.

For context, several debates ago Trump said he'd ax Obamacare but he didn't believe in killing all public medical care because he didn't believe that people should be dying in the streets in America. Cruz apparently disagrees.

And, yes, Cruz was being serious. Trump asked to quote him on when he said he supported socialized medicine (and even more specifically, when he ever did on the debate stage at Cruz alleged) and that's the example Cruz gave.

Trump should have said "do you want people dying on the streets?" to Cruz's "answer the question Donald" to shut Cruz up.

It was a terrible night for everyone else, and it was all about Donald Trump. It's like saying "So and So's House of Pain".

sangreal

I loved how Rubio's response to Trump saying he doesn't want people dying in the streets was to yell in the background that he thought this was a republican debate. Just in case anyone thought this was a crazy idea tied only to calgary cruz

Jarmel

Banned
Kasich might stay in just to fuck over Rubio and thus earn himself a spot as Trump's VP.

Trump already working on those backroom deals.

nib95

Banned
Kasich might stay in just to fuck over Rubio and thus earn himself a spot as Trump's VP.

Trump already working on those backroom deals.

If Trump did win, I think Kasich would be a decent pick for VP. Certainly better than anyone else that's been involved in this Republican circus.

How do you even debate with Trump? I'm legit worried about Hillary or Bernie going at him. Substance doesn't matter. You're dumb, you're old, I'm great, believe me.

benjipwns

Banned
Carson makes me sad. It's like he's personally and mentally deflated as his poll numbers and media attention has.

And considering where he started when he was tied with Trump...

Betty

Banned
Carson makes me sad. It's like he's personally and mentally deflated as his poll numbers and media attention has.

And considering where he started when he was tied with Trump...

He's just happy he's on tv, it must be doing wonders for his books sales/popularity.

How do you even debate with Trump? I'm legit worried about Hillary or Bernie going at him. Substance doesn't matter. You're dumb, you're old, I'm great, believe me.

Substance hasn't mattered in American politics for decades now. Trump is just the first guy to go all-in on not giving a fuck and not pretending to care about actual issues or platforms at all. His entire support base is built on his personality, which is bordering on cult-like status. This is why the other Republicans can't touch the guy.

sangreal

I think it's easier 1v1. Trump escapes a lot of jams when the moderator wants to include someone else. You saw a lot of Cruz and Rubio talking to Trunp directly tonight and while I don't think it will do anything for them it definitely shook Trump at times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom