• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake Confirmed [WE DO IT!]

Because Bethesda basically twisted his arm into making a game he didn't really wanna make probably has something to do with it.
First time I heard that...

Looking at his previous work I can however imagine that halfway through he realized that this wouldn't turn out that well, however unlike with Capcom Bethesda wouldn't let him revamp the whole thing.

I just have a hard time believing that the same Mikami that trashed the original RE4 version (which did look solid) because he thought it wouldn't work didn't do the same for TEW. Even if one likes the game he has to admit that it falls flat in comparison with Mikamis older work.

I love Code Veronica. I didn't mind the backtracking, it was done mostly creatively and it worked with the premise. But the game had a really unique atmosphere - very dry and desolate but also with some really grotesque imagery. It was bigger and grander than the games that came before, sure story wise there was a couple of missteps, but generally the B-movie style drama was at its peak here and character interactions were more meaningful imo. Yes, it got silly, but so did the previous games. The soundtrack is also fantastic.

First time I heard that...

I wish I could find the source but the gist is that Mikami set up tango games to produce games and nature talent, but when it came to making a deal with Bethesda, the catch was that the game had to be a horror title and Mikami had to direct it.

I just have a hard time believing that the same Mikami that trashed the original RE4 version (which did look solid) because he thought it wouldn't work didn't do the same for TEW. Even if one likes the game he has to admit that it falls flat in comparison with Mikamis older work.

I'd be very surprised if Mikami had that kind of power when working with an external publisher, whereas at capcom he probably had a lot of veto power considering he was responsible for one of there most successful franchises, I recall he greatly healped suda51 from dealing with "suits" on killer 7 because his faith and confidence in him. I doubt that shit would fly in many places.

I tried RE2 but i hated the controls, does the remake on ps4 controls like the old games?

Remake does offer a more traditional control scheme, but it's a pretty comprised way to experience the game. It is worth mentioning that unlike 2 remake doesn't just throw you into the middle of the action, instead it gives you a few quite rooms before anything kicks off, which gives you some time to actually adjust to the controls.

Neff

I wish I could find the source but the gist is that Mikami set up tango games to produce games and nature talent, but when it came to making a deal with Bethesda, the catch was that the game had to be a horror title and Mikami had to direct it.

I do think that TEW is an amazing game, but there's a certain cynicism and broadness in it which to me feels that he wasn't excited about the project like he was with his RE titles.

He did say that not being able to get away from horror (Phoenix Wright and Killer7 producer duties notwithstanding) was one of the reasons he left Capcom, so Bethesda's insistence that he return to the genre might not have had his enthusiasm firing on all cylinders.

But like I said, he still made a damn good game.

Mr_Zombie

What? Back in 2000 the backgrounds were amazing.... They haven't hold up well obviously.... But back in the days... The game looked great. I was raging crazy when they announced it for Dreamcast only.

They looked great for a 2000 3d game but when compared to RE2 and RE3 backgrounds, they were a visual step back: much emptier, less detailed with simpler geometry and textures. They were also much more colorful.

It is worth mentioning that unlike 2 remake doesn't just throw you into the middle of the action, instead it gives you a few quite rooms before anything kicks off, which gives you some time to actually adjust to the controls.

I remember showing RE2 to a bunch of younger gamers few years ago. They needed few tries to even reach Kendo's gun shop. :D

Lernaean

Banned
Agreed. If Mikami was great why The Evil Within sucked?

Except it didn't suck. It had quite a few technical problems due to various reasons (engine choice, newly formed studio), but it is a beautiful game in its own way. I feel like TEW is a flawed gem, and that it gets more negative criticism than it deserves, even with all its flaws.

So when will this come out?
2016 or 2017?

Since it's a remake the script, characters, locations, story etc... has already been done so thats gotta save some time. Right?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
2016 or 2017?

Since it's a remake the script, characters, locations, story etc... has already been done so thats gotta save some time. Right?

Safe to assume 2017, but maybe 2016. Development time of all the old Resident Evil's wasn't incredibly long, they were short, hell, they were short development times while being made with small teams, and some even had short development times even with scrapped versions that got pretty fat along. I think each of the older games had taken about a year in development time excluding those set-back from trying to find direction, like RE4, or put-off for whatever reason, like Zero.

REmake started development in early 2001 and released in March of 2002, for a comparison.

2016 or 2017?

Guess it all depends on what kinda of effort they put into it. If they really make it with pre-rendered background it shouldn't take that long. Perhaps it'll be done by the end of next year.

Junahu

Guess it all depends on what kinda of effort they put into it. If they really make it with pre-rendered background it shouldn't take that long. Perhaps it'll be done by the end of next year.
Does pre-rendering your enviroments really shed much development time? You still have to model and light them, and you have to do so at a level of fidelity that justifies them being static camera shots

Does pre-rendering your enviroments really shed much development time? You still have to model and light them, and you have to do so at a level of fidelity that justifies them being static camera shots
Yeah, but assuming they do it like the classic RE2 with pre-rendered backgrounds it probably won't have a big scale - and THAT will reduce the development time significantly. Also I don't think it'll be very time consuming in the planning phase considering that the basic structure is already there and they only have to expand on it. From what I've heard most of the time in game dev is wasted on experimentation anyway. Once the path is clear, games are generally made pretty quickly.

Dusk Golem

Something to also mention is that Resident Evil games, and most old survival-horror games, their locales aren't actually that huge. You could easily map them out, there game-time is extended because of back-tracking, puzzle solving, monster obstacles, scared to move on, etc., and Resident Evil 2 in particular is shorter than your regular Resident Evil game. While the A/B scenarios and extras make up for it, it is definitely the shortest main series Resident Evil game. They can be sped-run in an hour and a half, if you know what you're doing you can beat a scenario in 2-3 hours easily, and even the first run will take most people somewhere between 4-7 hours. Resident Evil 2 has some really easy puzzles, and smaller locations than the average RE game. It makes up for it again in creative monsters, great music, interesting RE story, replaybility and extras, but it definitely is not a long game.

I'm hoping with the remake they increase the difficulty of puzzles a bit and add some mechanics to spice things up, like the Crimson Heads did in REmake, but also to expand these locations further as there is definite room to add... Well, extra rooms. Especially to the Sewer and Factory, both of which are miniscule in size. They could even extend the street town segments pretty easily, I'd think.

If they do a straight-up remake and don't add new areas, this shouldn't be a super long project, as RE2 is definitely the shortest Resident Evil out there, and there's not a whole lot of locations to create in comparison for example to REmake or Zero, as the game's scale is smaller than those two. UNLESS they decide to expand RE2 with new content, in which case it might become longer (Though personally, I'm hoping for this. I am excited for a remake of RE2 with updated visuals and such, but part of what made REmake great was building on what was there as well with new locations, enemies, mechanics, etc., hoping they do much the same here.)

Lernaean

Banned
I will agree with Dusk Golem (my favorite HorrorGAF poster anyway) and say that this is a grand opportunity to expand Bio2 and spice it up a little bit.

Mr_Zombie

Something to also mention is that Resident Evil games, and most old survival-horror games, their locales aren't actually that huge. You could easily map them out, there game-time is extended because of back-tracking, puzzle solving, monster obstacles, scared to move on, etc.

That's why I like to think about older RE games as adventure games with action elements. The core game is designed around you picking up items, using them in other locations and solving puzzles while shooting some monsters in between. From RE4 on the focus was moved to shooting monsters with puzzles being an after-thought, something to add a little variety here and there. Thus you rarely backtrack, you just constantly move forward. It's especially visible in RE5 design, where each location is basically a Mercenaries-like map, and RE6 where you don't even have time to explore because you're constantly pushed to move forward.

I'm hoping with the remake they increase the difficulty of puzzles a bit and add some mechanics to spice things up, like the Crimson Heads did in REmake, but also to expand these locations further as there is definite room to add... Well, extra rooms. Especially to the Sewer and Factory, both of which are miniscule in size. They could even extend the street town segments pretty easily, I'd think.

Maybe they'll finally fix RPD's layout and add some bathrooms :p

And I would love for them to extends sewers, factory and streets. You spend very little time in each of those locations, especially when compared to RPD.

Dusk Golem

One more thing I just realized is worth pointing out. Literally every single location in RE2 has been expanded in games that aren't Resident Evil 2.

The RPD Police Station was actually remade in Outbreak 2 for one of the scenarios. They recreated almost the whole RPD Police Station in 3D and had some interesting interpretations of certain rooms in the station. and a few additions like an expanded parking garage and such.

Likewise, the Underground Laboratory appeared in Outbreak File 1 for one of the scenarios. You visit parts of it you don't visit in RE2, but they interlock pretty nicely.

Hell, the Underground lab may be one of the most expanded locations in the series. It also appears in Resident Evil Zero, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, and Operation Raccoon City, and all of these show new areas of the lab that weren't in the original RE2 version.

Hell, the Factory appears with some new locations in Zero as well.

And even with these locations being revisited and expanded (especially in the underground labs case), there's also all the areas in RE1.5 that could be put back into Resident Evil 2.

They could do their own thing, but there's a lot of reference from the series itself in how these areas could be expanded, if they wanted to use them.

Lernaean

Banned
That's why I like to think about older RE games as adventure games with action elements. The core game is designed around you picking up items, using them in other locations and solving puzzles while shooting some monsters in between. From RE4 on the focus was moved to shooting monsters with puzzles being an after-thought, something to add a little variety here and there.

I'll have to disagree with that. It's a common misconception that RE games prior to 4 were less action focused, but in reality both 3 and CV are very action focused and so are 2 and the second half of 1 to some extent.
It is the technology that did not allow them to go over the top back then.
The only thing really missing in later games is the puzzles, but imo Rev2 did a great job with that.

Ralemont

not me
I'll have to disagree with that. It's a common misconception that RE games prior to 4 were less action focused, but in reality both 3 and CV are very action focused and so are 2 and the second half of 1 to some extent.
The only thing really missing in later games is the puzzles, but imo Rev2 did a great job with that.

How many times in 3 were you forced to kill enemies to progress, besides boss battles?

Nemesis_

I'm wondering what they could build upon to really give the game that REmake vibe.

I'd love them go expand Adas role and perhaps incorporate her side missions that were in Umbrella Chronicles (but suitably scale them back so they were more classic RE rather than action based shooter)

Maybe even have a cold open playing as an unarmed Mayors daughter or something?

I really have to brush up on RE2 and see where there are opportunities for reasonable, realistic and suitable expansion that would feel as natural as Lisa Trevor did in REmake

Semajer

I think that the police station is pretty much fine as is, with some small REmake-like changes to play on the expectations of people that played RE2. The sewers and lab need expanding. You can get through the sewers using only a single bullet, with no risk, and it's the same every time.

Semajer

I sincerely hope they also include all scenarios and Extreme Battle Mode.

I hope they include the N64s Randomiser mode, but with controllable intensity. Something like the lowest randomness being a rearrangement of ammo, and the highest being ammo locations, gun locations, ammo counts, enemies, and enemy health.

SerTapTap

Oddly enough REmake HD and Resi 2 remake (if they don't fuck it up) are the first signs I've seen so far that they may not fuck up resi 7. If they did a reboot and went back to the horror style (don't actually set it in the mansion), yum yum.

mjontrix

REmake 2
Shenmue 3
Dragon Quest 11
Fallout 4
The Last Guardian
FF7 Remake

Whats next? Seems like everything we've been waiting for is getting announced this year.

HL3 is pretty much all that's left.

And I liked code veronica, definitely the most difficult one. Probably why people hate it, to be fair I haven't finished it yet since I played the first half then my bro went and nearly finished the game... Then discovered COD and it went downhill from there.

Mr_Zombie

But they are less action focused. Killing enemies is not the priority in those games. You can get past most enemies without even hurting them; moreover, at the beginning of each game you want to run past most enemies because you have little ammo. Opposite to RE4+ games, in older games you are very rarely forced to kill any non-boss enemies. You can also clean up an entire location and then run through it several times throughout the game without a hassle of being attacked. The latter is not possible in RE4+ games since those games push you forward all the time - you rarely ever backtrack (and if you do, usually new enemies are spawn in those locations).

The game - buildings' layouts, pacing, enemy encounters - is designed around puzzles, around what item is where and where it should be used. Limited inventory is a part of this. You have to decide what guns you should brought with you to that puzzle. Unlike RE4+ games, you don't have big inventory dedicated to just guns, ammo and health items which allows you to keep all your guns with you all the time. Here you have to count puzzle items too. And if you have puzzles like 4 crests / 4 death masks ones from RE1/REmake, you have to decide whether you want to run back and forth to use those items one by one but have guns and herbs with you all the time, or whether you leave a gun and/or herb temporary in a chest but run to the location with all items needed at once. The bigger locations (Spencer Estate, RPD) even allow you to completely omit some corridors - they provide you with alternative routes and/or shortcuts.

Even enemy encounters can be considered as a puzzle of some sort. Crimson Heads are a great example. You have a zombie - if you kill it, you will have to burn it later (you have a limited amount of gasoline, and probably have to run back to the save room to get canister and lighter and then back again to burn the zombie); you can use a weapon that will instantly kill and burn/decapitate the zombie (shotgun, Chris' grenades, Jill's fire grenades); you can kill it now and then not enter this corridor/room ever again or deal with a faster and more dangerous enemy later; you can also let it live and dodge it every time you have to enter this location.

RE3 was doing that with Nemesis most of the time - you can fight with it and then get a weapon part in reward or you can escape which can force you to take an alternative, longer route to certain location or make you collect and additional item (Jill's STARS card); also, Nemesis can still pursue you for few locations now.

And technology has nothing to do with this. Doom was released in 1993 - 3 years prior to RE1 - and it was a pure action game. By the time Code: Veronica was released CAPCOM could easily turn the series into pure over the top shooter - but it still had tank controls, and was designed with backtracking and puzzles first. RE Zero (a classic RE game) was released on the same console RE4 (a pure action RE game) was.

HL3 is pretty much all that's left.

And I liked code veronica, definitely the most difficult one. Probably why people hate it, to be fair I haven't finished it yet since I played the first half then my bro went and nearly finished the game... Then discovered COD and it went downhill from there.

Yeah CV turns to ass at about halfway, near the disc swap on DC or GCN. It doesn't help that it wasn't that strong of a title up that point anyway. The backtracking and annoying fetching was terrible.

The puzzles sometimes being separated maps apart with no shortcuts or at places you're likely to forget 2-3 hours later didn't help either.

One more thing I just realized is worth pointing out. Literally every single location in RE2 has been expanded in games that aren't Resident Evil 2.

The RPD Police Station was actually remade in Outbreak 2 for one of the scenarios. They recreated almost the whole RPD Police Station in 3D and had some interesting interpretations of certain rooms in the station. and a few additions like an expanded parking garage and such.

Likewise, the Underground Laboratory appeared in Outbreak File 1 for one of the scenarios. You visit parts of it you don't visit in RE2, but they interlock pretty nicely.

Hell, the Underground lab may be one of the most expanded locations in the series. It also appears in Resident Evil Zero, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, and Operation Raccoon City, and all of these show new areas of the lab that weren't in the original RE2 version.

Hell, the Factory appears with some new locations in Zero as well.

And even with these locations being revisited and expanded (especially in the underground labs case), there's also all the areas in RE1.5 that could be put back into Resident Evil 2.

They could do their own thing, but there's a lot of reference from the series itself in how these areas could be expanded, if they wanted to use them.

Watching those videos makes me want RE Outbreak 1&2HD bad. I also think that it would be cool if they combined the maps of the other spinoffs into RE2.

LUXURY

Watching those videos makes me want RE Outbreak 1&2HD bad. I also think that it would be cool if they combined the maps of the other spinoffs into RE2.

I'm not sure why they didn't take advantage of the zombie popularity and multiplayer to rerelease these for current and past generations. There is currently not much out that resembles it's play style on current generation. They could get down serious money from it.

Lernaean

Banned
But they are less action focused. Killing enemies is not the priority in those games. You can get past most enemies without even hurting them; moreover, at the beginning of each game you want to run past most enemies because you have little ammo. Opposite to RE4+ games, in older games you are very rarely forced to kill any non-boss enemies. You can also clean up an entire location and then run through it several times throughout the game without a hassle of being attacked. The latter is not possible in RE4+ games since those games push you forward all the time - you rarely ever backtrack (and if you do, usually new enemies are spawn in those locations).

And technology has nothing to do with this. Doom was released in 1993 - 3 years prior to RE1 - and it was a pure action game. By the time Code: Veronica was released CAPCOM could easily turn the series into pure over the top shooter - but it still had tank controls, and was designed with backtracking and puzzles first. RE Zero (a classic RE game) was released on the same console RE4 (a pure action RE game) was.

Let me explain. When i said about the tech limitations, it was mostly about the backtracking part. It really feels that once technology allowed it, they expanded the stages, and by 'they' i don't simply mean Capcom, i mean Mikami himself. It really feels like the backtracking in the limited space each game provided was (initially at least) a way to give more to the player within the constraints of the HW.

Now about being able to go past an area without killing anything, you are right, it's also mentioned by another poster, and it's true that Bio, with 4 and onwards, introduced those scenarios where you actually had to kill to progress, and that's a real change in the way the games are introduced.
But the way i always saw it, we can't deny that the intention to go past 'survival horror', and add action, scifi elements, and over the top characters, enemies and encounters, was introduced in the series before 4.

Yes, you could progress by avoiding enemies, but the action elements were there, slowly creeping and waiting for the right time, and the tech to allow, for them to be properly implemented.
I actually replayed CV about a year ago, and i was surprised on how much more actiony it felt from how i remembered it.

CV, and later 0, show another problem with the series. As you said, the tech was there, or almost there, but they still made the games as they used to, even on the same HW 4 was introduced. That had to do imo with stagnation and designers unsure how to move on with the series. It was apparent then, and it was again apparent some time after. Besides the ideas brought to the series when Mikami had his hands on the projects (1, 4 and in a certain extent 2), the other entries failed to identify themselves properly and introduced various mechanics that in most cases weren't much approved by the userbase, like in the case of 0.
So 4 indeed owns its existence not only to the tech, but also to the vision, and the courage if you will, to move the series to the next level.

At this point i have to say that i may be critical, but i like all main entries in the series, even if that means i like some a lot more than others.
Also i have to note that even though i believe that entries in which Mikami was not involved were not as good as others, I'm pleasantly surprised with Rev2 and I'm optimistic about the future of the series.

Lastly, i butchered your post to save some space, but kept the juice, apologies in advance.

Christopher

Oddly enough REmake HD and Resi 2 remake (if they don't fuck it up) are the first signs I've seen so far that they may not fuck up resi 7. If they did a reboot and went back to the horror style (don't actually set it in the mansion), yum yum.

Please dear god no more mansions...

Senoculum

I agree. I suppose I'm in the minority when I say that the Resident Evil games always felt action packed to me.

When I used my imagination to fill in details of RE2, I always imagined something like this:

pyvLMUH.jpg

The gunshots were loud, the running was fast; the zombie moans were horrifying, and some of the more nightmarish villains were always - at its core - pure, unadulterated sci-fi.

Plasma

Banned
I'm wondering what they could build upon to really give the game that REmake vibe.

I'd love them go expand Adas role and perhaps incorporate her side missions that were in Umbrella Chronicles (but suitably scale them back so they were more classic RE rather than action based shooter)

Maybe even have a cold open playing as an unarmed Mayors daughter or something?

I really have to brush up on RE2 and see where there are opportunities for reasonable, realistic and suitable expansion that would feel as natural as Lisa Trevor did in REmake

I'd like to see them expand the streets section at the start of the game, one of the only parts in the game where there were just too many zombies for you to handle and you had to run past them.

Dusk Golem

Also, to the co-op stuff mentioned earlier, I don't think co-op should touch the campaign, but I think a co-op take on the Extreme Battle mode could be interesting if spruced up some. Part of me thinks, "Oh, they wouldn't add co-op, they don't have too," but they also must know co-op sells and would attract additional buyers, and honestly an expanded Extreme Battle Mode with co-op could be very fun.

If they did a full 3D REmake with a fully realized Racoon City couldn't we 1. Have Outbreak as an included online co-op mode. 2. Have RE3make as DLC 3. Include a raid mode campaign to actually work the good (if any) plot points from Operation Racoon City.

Just seems capcom can squeeze more out of a 3D REmake than sticking to pre-rendered.

If they did a full 3D REmake with a fully realized Racoon City couldn't we 1. Have Outbreak as an included online co-op mode. 2. Have RE3make as DLC 3. Include a raid mode campaign to actually work the good (if any) plot points from Operation Racoon City.

I'm not quite sure how this follows. Whether it's pre-rendered or 3D they still have to render and design all the additional areas. Those could still happen if the game was full 3D or not.

Top Bottom