• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake Confirmed [WE DO IT!]

BadWolf

I think current Capcom have more talent at it than people may give credit for, they just need to set their mind to making what people want. Honestly, old-school survival-games were never about big budgets or large teams, the credits for the games were even kind of short for the time period and since these games died out before game development prices fluctuated, standards for what these games should be hasn't risen much in over 10 years because old-school survival horror games haven't existed much in the last over 10 years, so it can be made with a modest budget and team size and still probably be very good. None of the old RE games had particularly long credit sequences, they just need the right creative visions and direction and people on-board, and I do think current Capcom can pull it off.

This is a good point actually and if they set up a new team for this and gain the proper experience with REmake 2, they could basically be making classic (much cheaper to make) style REs and the post-RE4 style action games side by side.

The classic style may not sell as much as the action games but is a guaranteed million seller nonetheless.

Gren

What is people's hate on Code Veronica?

For me, it felt like a step backwards compared to 3. No dodge (for better or worse; I liked it), ammo crafting, Nemesis-style encounters. The dual-wielding didn't do anything for me at all. Also, I didn't like the detached Rockfort Island setting; I find RE at its best when it takes place in more familiar, domestic locales. I always prefer running through Raccoon City or the Spencer Mansion as opposed to the labs/industrial rooms you usually wind up in at the end of the games.

Still a competent game, just my least favorite of the old-style REs sans Zero, which I've yet to play.

Isayas

Banned
For me, it felt like a step backwards compared to 3. No dodge (for better or worse; I liked it), ammo crafting, Nemesis-style encounters. The dual-wielding didn't do anything for me at all. Also, I didn't like the detached Rockfort Island setting; I find RE at its best when it takes place in more familiar, domestic locales. I always prefer running through Raccoon City or the Spencer Mansion as opposed to the labs/industrial rooms you usually wind up in at the end of the games.

Still a competent game, just my least favorite of the old-style REs sans Zero, which I've yet to play.

Fair enough and I want Code Veronica to be remade as well or add some dodge features.

TyrantII

It's where the series started to jump the shark.

Kung fu, computer controlled hunters, cross dressing antagonists, Steve hulk (and the hammy love story), giant zombie tenticles, sentient bioweapons.

Personally I liked it when it was less out there and a little more grounded in believability (simple animalistic and viral bioweapons)

Also why I wasn't a fan of RE0s plot.

Links_fantasy

This is my favorite RE and I hope a remake sets the standard and allows Capcom to go back to the survival Horror tone that the series was renowned for.

Aggelos

I can't wait for the eventual orchestral remaster of these classics like the did for RE1 REmake. Hopefully they put out a limited edition with a physical CD of the OST

New Japan Philarmonic Orchestra - Biohazard 2: The Ultimate Bio-Weapon Medley

The soundtrack has always been dope, but live on string and brass really makes it something special!

Ya man, the original Biohazard 2 & 3 OSTs were lacking the power of a real-actual orchestra. But when this baby came out, it made justice to them.
http://vgmdb.net/album/1226

After that one, I was hoping the Capcom would do a follow-up with Biohazard Code Veronica music, and they did it unofficially (Biohazard Orchestral Album Part 2 never came out).
http://vgmdb.net/album/16040
http://vgmdb.net/album/12454

JimmyJones

Banned
It's where the series started to jump the shark.

Kung fu, computer controlled hunters, cross dressing antagonists, Steve hulk (and the hammy love story), giant zombie tenticles, sentient bioweapons.

Personally I liked it when it was less out there and a little more grounded in believability (simple animalistic and viral bioweapons)

Also why I wasn't a fan of RE0s plot.

Apart from all this, it was still old school tank controls resident evil that we love.

On a serious note, I really hope they don't change the music too much. early RE soundtracks were some of the best things ever.

I never thought about this... Oh shit.

The larger the budget, the more hours of entertainment publishers insist on offering players. This was pretty much the universal mantra of games development last gen.

again

sources

you literally made a post about how no one knows what remake's production budget was but you could somehow infer that it was more expensive than usual for an 8-10 hour game

JackelZXA

What if Nemesis had been a side game and Code Veronica had been 3 as originally intended? I feel like that would have altered some of that idea of what typical RE would be, since you'd have 1 2 3 and 4 as these very different locations and tones and each one would feel very distinct. I dunno, just a random thought.

Remakes of 3 and CV would be great, though.

yup the environments sucked.

Hopefully a CV remake would have really creative art design to bring it up to the standards of the other remakes.

Neff

again

sources

you literally made a post about how no one knows what remake's production budget was but you could somehow infer that it was more expensive than usual for an 8-10 hour game

again

nobody knows

It's literal speculation from a decade of community discussion based on the two-year development cycle, the size of the team, vague comments from Capcom, the fact that prerendered games are generally costlier than the norm due to lack of recycled assets, the fact that Mikami made the decision to make a much longer, asset-friendly successor with RE4, and Capcom's disappointment with REmake's sales.

Or you can play the game and realise very quickly that it wasn't cheap, unless you have unrealistic expectations of games development.

A lot of people felt it was the point where the storyline started to veer into anime territory (I'd give that award to RE0 myself, but anyway), the backtracking could really screw you over if you didn't take the right items with you, it's generally slower-paced and fetch-y than the PSX games, and you could break your save at a couple of points if you were low on resources. It also aged visually very quickly imo. While it was stunning on Dreamcast, it wasn't much of a looker when put next to DMC or MGS2.

All of that said, it's still a great game imo, and I think it has some of the best environment design in the series.

What I enjoyed most about it is that just when you thought you finished the game,
it's actually the second half starting with Chris and while you go through familiar environments, it's still different because of the changes done by the explosion which is funny because all that explosion and most of the things were still intact, lol.

I knew the Chris segment was coming, but I did and still do think the way the explosions/ice melting changes the geography of the Island/Arctic base for each scenario is genius. I wish they'd do something like that in RE again.

I didn't expect many people hating on CV. It's clearly not up to par with the first 3 but I'd still rather play it than RE4 because it has that classic gameplay. I loved it but not as much as the first 3 of course and the environments range from good to great,I felt it was quite varied.

What I enjoyed most about it is that just when you thought you finished the game,
it's actually the second half starting with Chris and while you go through familiar environments, it's still different because of the changes done by the explosion which is funny because all that explosion and most of the things were still intact, lol.
I replayed it months ago on 360 and dug my time with it. Only thing I hated was Wesker because this is where he started turning super Saiyan. The soundtrack is great as well. Bosses are average though.

I know this will likely come off as nitpicky to a lot of folks, but I hated the direction it went with the story. Nemesis with his rocket launcher was one thing since that was in-line with the goals of Umbrella and the development of their B.O.W. programs. Alexia
chucking balls of fire
and having some
telepathic communication with other T-Veronica subjects
...not so much. Just was a bit too...game-y for me and a bit of a departure, just like with RE0's Dr. Marcus situation. I also couldn't get behind the character of Steve Burnside and that subplot, which is a shame given that I was enjoying the Ashford plot (end-game Alexia aside).

Other than that, it's been too long to remember from a gameplay/design standpoint on where it fell short. It's not a game I dislike, but it's below the first 3 and some of the modern installments.

I hope we get Paul Mercier Leon (RE4/DC) and not Matthew Mercer Leon (RE6)

RE 6 Leon is still cool, he's just not nearly as cool as "No Thanks Bro" Leon

BBboy20

Ya man, the original Biohazard 2 & 3 OSTs were lacking the power of a real-actual orchestra. But when this baby came out, it made justice to them.
http://vgmdb.net/album/1226

After that one, I was hoping the Capcom would do a follow-up with Biohazard Code Veronica music, and they did it unofficially (Biohazard Orchestral Album Part 2 never came out).
http://vgmdb.net/album/16040
http://vgmdb.net/album/12454
Listening to REmake's 1 OST, it was very different from the original (But also seems like the benchmark that future RE titles followed).

Despite RE2 having one of the more memorable OSTs, are they going to take the REmake approach and trying to make these tracks super creepy? I'd imagine we'll get an orchestra for, at least 2-3 songs but for those not so broad moments, how different is it going to be? How similar is it going to be to RE2? Hell, could the direction be similar to REmake 1's approach?

Shit, we don't even know what the art direction is going to be. Will they go for the Spencer approach for the entire precinct or maybe try to go for a sterile look like it was in 1.5? RE0 only gave us a hint of that with the lab.

Lernaean

Banned
Totally agree.

And me too. The higher ups have made terrible mistakes, but the development teams are very talented, and also i'll have to say that lately the company is taking the right direction.

Also, good work to anyone who was vocal about REmake 2. We certainly did it.

Hopefully they turn it into a FPS. That whole third person shooter stuff is so tired and archaic.

But FPS, those never get old. Not enough of em if you ask me!

But in all seriousness, cool to hear. RE2 was definitely the best of the bunch besides RE4 Mercenary mode ... which wasn't survival horror at all just an awesome and fun mode.

Code: Veronica was great. It's not CV's fault that RE2, 3, REmake, and 4 are god-tier games.

Yeah, put me in with the CV crowd. I enjoyed it as well on the Dreamcast. I honestly enjoyed playing the game in FP view mode.

Hopefully they turn it into a FPS. That whole third person shooter stuff is so tired and archaic.

But FPS, those never get old. Not enough of em if you ask me!

But in all seriousness, cool to hear. RE2 was definitely the best of the bunch besides RE4 Mercenary mode ... which wasn't survival horror at all just an awesome and fun mode.

Heh, maybe they could make it like Code Veronica? Polygon environments with fixed camera angles, then add a first person mode as a secondary feature.

Outbreak remake next, please.

Mainly because it would work so well with PSN and Xbox Live now, and a lot of people missed it on the PS2 with no hard drive, and lack of good online.

It's a fun game with it's own neat story, even if it's not really canon. Great characters, and a ton of fun online.

Well that's definitely one of the big reasons I didn't like it. The environments were a huge step down.
What? Back in 2000 the backgrounds were amazing.... They haven't hold up well obviously.... But back in the days... The game looked great. I was raging crazy when they announced it for Dreamcast only.

Absolutely. Mikami was super hands on with the REmake.

Seems like it'll be all blood working on this RE2make, which worries me greatly. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not expecting much without the involvement of Kamiya or Mikami.
I don't get why everyone is drooling for Kamiya to come back when it's known that he doesn't like horror games and didn't even like making RE2. Also it was greatly thanks to Mikami that it even ended up being like it was. Mikamis absence is a big loss, but then again his name alone doesn't warrant quality as we've seen with TEW.

The team only has to focus on the series strengths and this well turn out well.

What? Back in 2000 the backgrounds were amazing.... They haven't hold up well obviously.... But back in the days... The game looked great. I was raging crazy when they announced it for Dreamcast only.

Well the game was partially developed by Sega themselves. Which is why it was a Dreamcast exclusive. But the environments did look nice for a DC game and it was rendered at 480p. The pre-rendered BG's in the PS1 game were something like 320x240.

RE2's environments are very closed-in and small, so it wold be easy to make some really high detail real time environments. Though pre-rendered enviroments at 2k, 3k or 4k would be amazing too.

I don't get why everyone is drooling for Kamiya to come back when it's known that he doesn't like horror games and didn't even like making RE2. Also it was greatly thanks to Mikami that it even ended up being like it was. Mikamis absence is a big loss, but then again his name alone doesn't warrant quality as we've seen with TEW.

The team only has to focus on the series strengths and this well turn out well.

Agreed. If Mikami was great why The Evil Within sucked?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I loved Evil Within. It's a big love it/hate it game.

Can a mod step in and edit the 'do' to 'did' in the thread title?

It's intentional, in the announcement video for REmake 2 that's in the OP (and on the official RE YouTube channel) the guy announcing the game is wearing a T-Shirt that reads, "WE DO IT!".

Top Bottom