• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6 – Announce Trailer (PS4/Xbox One)

Neff

Oh I know, but my point is more like, "Hey, if you're already remaking those 80 something backgrounds, throw in those other 40 as well". (pulling these numbers out of my ass, but I hope you get where im getting at)

RE2 and RE3 have somewhere between 150-200 rooms each, with multiple camera angles per room.

Both games share about 10 rooms. So you'd effectively be asking Capcom to make 2 games simultaneously.

Honestly, the only things they have in common asset-wise are the RPD, crows, and dogs.

v1oz

Which version of RE4 is the this port going to be based on? Hopefully its the GCN version and not the PC port again.

My memory is a bit vague but given the similarities between RE2 and RE3 on a technical level (and RE3's smaller scale).. If I was capcom I would remake them at the same time.

I was highly disappointed in Resi 3, and a huge part of that was that it was so similar to Resi 2. Given that Resi 2 was a sharp improvement over the first game, Resi 3 felt like it was treading water.

I hope Mercenaries can be unlocked in RE5 without completing the campaign (it's available from the start in RE6), I just revisited the game recently and really cbf going through the campaign again anytime soon...

Carn82

The RE2 remake gets expanded and so RE3 is weaved into it, so we get two remakes for one. Believe.

Believe.

RE2 and RE3 have somewhere between 150-200 rooms each, with multiple camera angles per room.

Both games share about 10 rooms. So you'd effectively be asking Capcom to make 2 games simultaneously.

Honestly, the only things they have in common asset-wise are the RPD, crows, and dogs.

Well, my memory is failing then, I remember RE3 as a significantly smaller game than RE2. Both have their share amount of backtracking but somehow I remember RE3 as leading in that, hence my train of thought.

Anyway, the underlying tech is pretty much the same, so if you got your 'remake-pipeline' up and running I would just take 3 with it as wel :p

Bioshocker

*cough* Battlefield *cough*

*cough* Call of Duty *cough*

*cough* Fifa etc *cough*

there must be something in my throat :)

Well, CoD and Battlefield are new games every time. And I don't think it's fair to compare annual sports games (fans expect them every year with every new season) to Resident Evil.

Capcom are milking RE as hell. I'd prefer remasters instead of just releasing the same games again.

I dunno, does it really count as milking if it's the series 20th anniversary? They're just providing ample celebration for fans, and the audience is there waiting for this. Far as I can see, they're just giving people what they want.

Hopefully Sonic gets just as much love for his 25th and not just an Olympics and Sonic Boom game...

Neff

Well, my memory is failing then, I remember RE3 as a significantly smaller game than RE2. Both have their share amount of backtracking but somehow I remember RE3 as leading in that, hence my train of thought.

RE3 is shorter in terms of play time sure, due to RE2 getting a lot of mileage out of what's on those discs, but the discrepancy between real estate isn't that big.

I do think though that if RE2make is a success (and it surely will be) then it's likely that they'll jump on remaking 3 and will be able to hit the ground running from their experience with 2.

RE3 takes longer to beat than RE2, so it might have more rooms. I'm certain it contains more assets than RE2 though, as it takes place in more varied environments.

I would love nothing more than a remake of RE3, as I like it more than its predecessor. I think it's a better game. People remember RE2 more fondly because of how much of a step forward it was from RE1. But context aside: put RE2 and RE3 side-by-side and RE3 comes out the better game.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
RE3 takes longer to beat than RE2, so it might have more rooms. I'm certain it contains more assets than RE2 though, as it takes place in more varied environments.

I would love nothing more than a remake of RE3, as I like it more than its predecessor. I think it's a better game. People remember RE2 more fondly because of how much of a step forward it was from RE1. But context aside: put RE2 and RE3 side-by-side and RE3 comes out the better game.

I'm with you there. RE3 did a TON of great things but it wasn't the giant step forward 2 was. In retrospect, 3 is clearly the better game to me, but at the time, expectations were through the roof.

SkylineRKR

I was highly disappointed in Resi 3, and a huge part of that was that it was so similar to Resi 2. Given that Resi 2 was a sharp improvement over the first game, Resi 3 felt like it was treading water.

Its because we didn't really play RE3. It was a sidestory to RE2 and only got numbered because Capcom either wanted continuity on Playstation, or Sony decided so.

Still, RE3 was a step ahead in terms of gameplay. It beats CV there, which was next-gen.

Resident Evil 3 was great. To me it felt like bigger than RE2 which seemed mainly contained to the police station there were lots of locations in RE3. Plus given its set in the city, a remake could potentially open up lots of new areas if they so wished, which would be awesome.

They updated the PC version to include all DLC last year and removed GFWL.

Yeah and have you played it since then? After they put out the dlc on PC they later added a save file transfer tool which actually required them to add some GFWL files back into the game. This patch made the game glitch-tastic. They then put out one patch that fixed a lot of the issues but it by no means fixed all of them and then Capcom went silent on that version of the game. Some fans then put out mods that fixed some of the more serious issues that were still left, but there's still some lingering issues with the game. In short, if the new console versions of RE5 are going to be based on the PC version then they're going to need to do some work. Especially since the PC version doesn't have built in split screen.

Ok so what improvements are they making? Are these just PC ports?

So I don't believe we actually know yet. Considering the semi-busted state Capcom left the PC version of RE5 in, this new console version of it probably won't be based on the PC release because not only would they basically have to fix the game but they would also need to add split screen to it as the PC version of RE5 does not have native split screen support. This unfortunately means console owners will continue to miss out on the crazy Mercenaries No Mercy mode which throughs an even crazier number of enemies at you than vanilla Mercs mode.

As for RE6 and RE4... I don't believe this has been confirmed but it's probably safe to assume that the PS4 & X1 versions of those games are based on the PC/Steam releases as the PC/Steam releases of those games are excellent. One thing that will probably be removed though is the PC version of RE6's Mercs mode included the option to play as L4D2 characters and the option to replace certain enemies with L4D enemies, so I'm sure that will all be removed for the PS4 & X1 releases.

Sectus

So I don't believe we actually know yet. Considering the semi-busted state Capcom left the PC version of RE5 in, this new console version of it probably won't be based on the PC release because not only would they basically have to fix the game but they would also need to add split screen to it as the PC version of RE5 does not have native split screen support. This unfortunately means console owners will continue to miss out on the crazy Mercenaries No Mercy mode which throughs an even crazier number of enemies at you than vanilla Mercs mode.

As for RE6 and RE4... I don't believe this has been confirmed but it's probably safe to assume that the PS4 & X1 versions of those games are based on the PC/Steam releases as the PC/Steam releases of those games are excellent. One thing that will probably be removed though is the PC version of RE6's Mercs mode included the option to play as L4D2 characters and the option to replace certain enemies with L4D enemies, so I'm sure that will all be removed for the PS4 & X1 releases.

I am very sure the RE4 port is based on the recent Ultimate HD PC release. Looking at the trailer, those textures looks like the "HD" textures made for the PC release. I wonder if the RE4 port will feature many options. I personally feel playing with the original texture is better (the majority of HD textures are upscaled using photoshop filters and it makes them look cheap), and I really dislike the motion blur used in the game.

Capcom has mentioned some minor tweaks they're doing to the new RE6 port (new multiplayer matchmaking and some minor adjustments to campaign), but they haven't mentioned no mercy at all. So that makes me think it's a port of the xbox 360/ps3 version and not the PC version.

I am very sure the RE4 port is based on the recent Ultimate HD PC release. Looking at the trailer, those textures looks like the "HD" textures made for the PC release. I wonder if the RE4 port will feature many options. I personally feel playing with the original texture is better (the majority of HD textures are upscaled using photoshop filters and it makes them look cheap), and I really dislike the motion blur used in the game.

Capcom has mentioned some minor tweaks they're doing to the new RE6 port (new multiplayer matchmaking and some minor adjustments to campaign), but they haven't mentioned no mercy at all. So that makes me think it's a port of the xbox 360/ps3 version and not the PC version.

Honestly, I can go either way with RE4 textures as they look awful either way. As for motion blur, I 100% agree with you. I turn that shit off in just about any game that gives the option.

So I haven't really read anything about these "remasters" yet (just watched the trailer), but I feel like the best way for Capcom to justify releasing RE4,RE5, and RE6 on new consoles is to bring all the PC exclusive content (RE4 "HD texture", RE5 No Mercy, RE6 No Mercy) to console for the first time. Now, the PC version of RE5 is kind of a busted (but playable) mess, so there's little doubt in my mind that the "remaster" of that game will be based on the 360 version because I don't see Capcom going back and fixing their mess.

As I know that you're aware, RE4 & RE6 had very well made PC versions, so it seems like it would make the most sense to base the "remasters" on the PC versions. Having said that, I definitely feel like RE6 No Mercy mode is something Capcom would really want to play up leading up to the RE6's March release (especially since I think that game will be the hardest sell of the 3 games) and if they haven't gotten out there to said anything about No Mercy yet then you may be right about the game being a 360 port.
This would be a shame as I've had so much fun over the years with No Mercy mode in RE5 & RE6 (using some of the awesome mods you have made) and it just sucks that console players may continue to miss out on such a great mode. I mean, No Mercy mode (and to a lesser extent the L4D cross over) was literally what sold me on buying RE6. If not for that I would've passed on RE6 entirely and with good reason!

Anyways, I never really planned to buy these since I owned them all on Steam but it'll be interesting to see how all of these releases shake out and it'll be interesting to see if they sell well.

Sectus

Honestly, I can go either way with RE4 textures as they look awful either way. As for motion blur, I 100% agree with you. I turn that shit off in just about any game that gives the option.

So I haven't really read anything about these "remasters" yet (just watched the trailer), but I feel like the best way for Capcom to justify releasing RE4,RE5, and RE6 on new consoles is to bring all the PC exclusive content (RE4 "HD texture", RE5 No Mercy, RE6 No Mercy) to console for the first time. Now, the PC version of RE5 is kind of a busted (but playable) mess, so there's little doubt in my mind that the "remaster" of that game will be based on the 360 version because I don't see Capcom going back and fixing their mess.

As I know that you're aware, RE4 & RE6 had very well made PC versions, so it seems like it would make the most sense to base the "remasters" on the PC versions. Having said that, I definitely feel like RE6 No Mercy mode is something Capcom would really want to play up leading up to the RE6's March release (especially since I think that game will be the hardest sell of the 3 games) and if they haven't gotten out there to said anything about No Mercy yet then you may be right about the game being a 360 port.
This would be a shame as I've had so much fun over the years with No Mercy mode in RE5 & RE6 (using some of the awesome mods you have made) and it just sucks that console players may continue to miss out on such a great mode. I mean, No Mercy mode (and to a lesser extent the L4D cross over) was literally what sold me on buying RE6. If not for that I would've passed on RE6 entirely and with good reason!

Anyways, I never really planned to buy these since I owned them all on Steam but it'll be interesting to see how all of these releases shake out and it'll be interesting to see if they sell well.

They have a press release where they mention minor additions like being able to choose campaign without specifying chapter when joining other players. If they list minor features like that, but don't mention no mercy at all, that definitely makes me think it won't have that content.

One thing I'm curious about is if they'll fix any of the bugs in RE4. The patches for RE4 Steamworks fixed most of the issues, but there's still some 60 fps glitchiness here and there. And I'll forever be bitter that out of all reload animations, it had to be the bolt action rifle reload animation which ended up locked to 30. I wonder if that's something they'd address.

Takeru

I would of love to play Resident Evil 4 first instead of that dogcrap that was RE6. But hey, at least I got it on Steam so it's whatever.

EraErr0r1

As someone that hasn't played 4-5-6 and looking to jump right in, I'm disappointed that they aren't being released in chronological order. Does it not really matter in this instance?

As someone that hasn't played 4-5-6 and looking to jump right in, I'm disappointed that they aren't being released in chronological order. Does it not really matter in this instance?

They're pretty much standalone. Things are referenced here and there but not enough to not get the story, and the small things will click if you play them in reverse order anyway.

Short answer is no.

Cross posting from the other thread:

Did they ever make a version of RE4 where you could aim with right stick? Played RE5 before RE4 and couldn't play RE4 aiming with the left stick =/

If not hopefully they new port we get adds this

I would be disgusted if there's no No Mercy Mercenaries. Aren't this gen's consoles powerful enough for it? Lock it at 30 fps if you have to...?

Nerrel

The RE2 remake gets expanded and so RE3 is weaved into it, so we get two remakes for one. Believe.

Capcom will never do this. They won't pass up the opportunity to charge for two full price games. Which is perfectly fine; I'd more than happily buy both at full price if they do the games justice.

3 is funner to play because it's a little more linear and has a really sprawling environment (the streets) that doesn't get as tedious to backtrack through. It also had some improved mechanics and controls. Having said that, it's not as well paced and it just doesn't feel as solid. With RE2, there's a sense that everything is just about perfect- I can't imagine them having executed that game any better, and I wouldn't want to change very much. There are lots of things in RE3 that feel a little more arbitrary, where I wouldn't really care one way or the other if they were altered. Some of the experimental additions to the game (like the quick time decisions) were never carried on and sometimes feel a little contrived.

I also think the environments and soundtrack aren't as consistently interesting. The streets are great, and the music is generally amazing all throughout. The clock tower isn't necessarily the greatest location, though... it's well done, but it feels a little derivative from what we've seen before and is too small to make a memorable impact. The hospital is great, but it's also too brief to really stand out. The same goes for the park... The game almost moves too fast for its own good. The waste facility at the end is objectively less interesting than the labs from RE2. It was a fairly generic "here's our end of game industrial facility," whereas the RE2 labs were terrifyingly futuristic, like something out of the end of Empire Strikes Back. The whole buildup to entering the RE2 lab is vividly memorable and really feels like an escalation, whereas you just kind of aimlessly end up in the waste facility in RE3.

I love both games, but RE2 is better. It's more consistent and seems to have a better sense of what it's trying to do. I do play RE3 more because it's faster and funner, but it's not as solid. I don't consider them to be far apart, though. If RE2 is a 10 then RE3 is 9.

News Bot

Banned
BIO3 does an incredible job for what it is. It began as a small-scale side-story game and its production staff was doubled just a few months before the expected release date to accomodate its "upgrade" to a full-fledged title. Given that it was working within constraints and was handled primarily by new staff, it's an exceptional achievement, and a fantastic game.

The whole buildup to entering the RE2 lab is vividly memorable and really feels like an escalation, whereas you just kind of aimlessly end up in the waste facility in RE3.

That's kind of the point. Discovering the laboratory in BIO2 is a repeat of discovering the laboratory in BIO1. Jill already knows the dark side of Umbrella, giving BIO3 an arc of uncovering Umbrella's secrets wouldn't work. Instead, the scenario writer Yasuhisa Kawamura introduced something far more subtle with the dead Tyrants and Delta Force soldiers littered around the final rooms of the game. That was meant to convey that the U.S. Government had a dark side too which not only explains how Umbrella managed to do all of its dirty antics in the first place, but also set up potential new villains and the like. BIO3's story is far more layered than the previous two games, there are a lot of plot details that you can only discern from keen observation and making connections, while the main "Last Escape" narrative is simple, tight and focused.

Comparing the games to each other in order to gauge quality is a fool's errand anyway. Each is designed with different goals in mind, they're not meant to be entirely similar. CAPCOM tries to do something new with each one, even if the basics are similar. They really don't get enough credit for this.

Capcom... the masters of milking.

The console versions of these games last gen were alright, but I like that a lot of these games are being updated especially in this iffy backwards compatibility environment. I prefer to have RE on Playstation systems, and it's nice to have these at better frame rates and resolutions and that shit on the new systems.

It may be milking, but I think it's good for older games to be updated to new standards.

Nizz

What are the chances of these games being 1080p/60fps? This and being able to aim with the right stick in RE4.

Rippa

What are the chances of these games being 1080p/60fps? This and being able to aim with the right stick in RE4.

I was never able to get used to aiming with the left stick so I'm hoping that with this edition of RE4, we'd be able to with the right stick.

I would be surprised if those games are not 1080p/60fps. You can aim with the right stick on the PC:Ultimate Edition so im guessing it will be the same for ps4/xboxone too

Top Bottom