• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Miker

Hi Everyone! This is an update to this post from late November where I indicated that my job was being eliminated and that I needed to figure out employment for my family.

I’m finally at a point where I know how things will proceed. Here’s the really fast version:

* I’m becoming a stay at home dad, which will allow me to resume my work on the project (about 10 hours / week for now, and back to 20-25 hours per week in a few months).

And here are the details of what’s happened these last 4 months:

* Finding another job in my company was not feasible because my family was not in a position to move to a new city
* So, I completed the three certifications I needed to make me more marketable in my field
* After a few weeks of applying, I received a job offer at a new company
* On the same day, my wife received a job offer as well
* I don’t enjoy my field of work, while she was hoping to be able to go back to work after a few years of taking care of the kids
* So, we decided to swap roles (whew!)
* I am resuming my work on the project at a rate of about 10 hours per week
* Once the kids start school in a few months, I’ll have more time to spare, so I should be able to return to my previous time commitment at that point (whoo hoo!)
* Down the road, if income becomes an issue then at least I’ll have the needed qualifications to find employment once again

Thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement. I feel very happy with how this has played out, and I’m relieved to have some certainty about the path forward. I look forward to being able to share my own progress updates again! 🙂

Congrats! Finding a job is never easy. Now back to work >:O
kidding

Shredderi

Hey Cris really glad to hear that you got it worked out! Take your time with the project, and thank you for your continued work on the best damn texture mod in existence.

Hello! Its been a while since my last Island update. Please, take a looks at these work in progress screenshots an video! :)

You'll find other interesting info in our website as usual
www.re4hd.com

330-B.jpg

330-I.jpg

330-C.jpg

330-D.jpg

330-E.jpg

330-G.jpg

330-F.jpg

330-H.jpg

330-J.jpg

330-K.jpg

330-A.jpg

330.jpg

https://youtu.be/H6K5Zpxe1R4

Have a great weekend!

Sajko

Man this looks great. Saving professional difficulty playthrough for the release of this. Thanks for everything guys and keep up the good work.

Lettuce

What does it mean in the Progress Summary section when it saying 'In Progress', does that mean areas his currently working on or are in the process if being added to the game for upload?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Hello! Its been a while since my last Island update. Please, take a looks at these work in progress screenshots an video! :)

You'll find other interesting info in our website as usual
www.re4hd.com

https://youtu.be/H6K5Zpxe1R4

Have a great weekend!

Congrats on your cyborg vision!
And don't worry about the glasses for looking at things up close, they'll make you look sophisticated :)

Edit: also congrats to cris for landing on his feet!

What does it mean in the Progress Summary section when it saying 'In Progress', does that mean areas his currently working on or are in the process if being added to the game for upload?
It means they're working on it.

They are being worked on. The updates are of textures that don't have to be final as they can be reviewed and perfectioned.

finley83

Banned
Thanks again for doing this, it looks incredible as usual! Can't wait to play to through again with the new update.

You (or Cris, afraid I can't remember which) mentioned a while back that the Island is significantly comprising custom recreations rather than original sources. Do you still find this section as rewarding as doing the Village and Castle sections?

Thank you everyone! :)

Thanks again for doing this, it looks incredible as usual! Can't wait to play to through again with the new update.

You (or Cris, afraid I can't remember which) mentioned a while back that the Island is significantly comprising custom recreations rather than original sources. Do you still find this section as rewarding as doing the Village and Castle sections?

Yes, it is! I enjoy both things: re-creations and restorations from original sources.
The re-creations are challenging and the ammount of 3D work the Island needs is huge. These 2 factors when combined make the results more enjoyable and satisfactory! (from the point of view of the person who's doing the work)
On the other hand, to find an original source picture or location is like... finding the treasure after a long journey! So, it's a different kind of enjoyment

Maxey

Seriously wish you were able to also mod in a quick toggle button to switch between new and old textures.

This is just tremendous work, boys!

Bizzquik

Awesome!
I was anxiously awaiting March 31st for several weeks now. Eager to try this project out, as I never did try the "Village" section release previously. Impressive how you guys are just truckin' right along, gettin' things done.

Thanks for all your work!

Nerrel

Surely someone wants to share some screenshots, right? I don' t have RE4 installed for now, but I can never get enough of seeing this mod.

finley83

Banned
Looking forward to trying this in about... 2 months and 6 days (bloody exams!) Thanks for your hard work as always, looks fantastic!

M3d10n

Impressed at how true it stays to the original art style and direction. Many HD texture mods end up jarring but this one is professional grade, nothing looks out of place. Amazing work.

I installed and played just a bit this weekend. I'm astounded by your work. It's just perfect. If someone hadn't seen RE4 before, they would think yours was the original, and the original was a downgrade for weaker hardware. I can't come up with a higher compliment than that.

And with that, all the good parts of this game are now done! Congrats!

Considering that they have now easily finished 75% of the game when it comes to environments by virtue of finishing the village and castle alone, I don't it should take too much time for them now to finish the environment textures and art for the island at the end of the game.

Also want to make a shoutout that the devs of the mods have payed over $1.700 out of their own pockets to keep working on this project as the donations so far haven't been able to cover the costs they had:

Donate some money their way if you can and appreciate what Albert and Cris are doing, their work really is outstanding and their dedication is insane. A big thank you from me to all the donators so far, this project really deserves it.

Considering that they have now easily finished 75% of the game when it comes to environments by virtue of finishing the village and castle alone, I don't it should take too much time for them now to finish the environment textures and art for the island at the end of the game.

Also want to make a shoutout that the devs of the mods have payed over $1.700 out of their own pockets to keep working on this project as the donations so far haven't been able to cover the costs they had:

Donate some money their way if you can and appreciate what Albert and Cris are doing, their work really is outstanding and their dedication is insane. A big thank you from me to all the donators so far, this project really deserves it.

I've donated before and said I would again when they were done but I think I can spare a little more their way now. Will do tonight or tomorrow night when I'm home.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is seriously legendary work. Before this I'd say the best trying-to-be-faithful remake job was for Quake, but even then they changed a lot of textures to be entirely different images and Quake wasn't nearly as complex with unique pieces and sets. This however could even be used as education for developers on how to do remakes. It's like you've gone and done some straight up CSI "enhance the image" magic.

I'm at work and I forgot my wallet today, but you better believe I'm dropping a donation when I get home. It's a crime that they're not at least breaking even.

Why not set up a Patreon, guys?

Yawnny

So I haven't read this entire thread as I've been following it as of only recently but has anyone seen one of the recent videos from Bob at RetroRGB where he interviews a video game lawyer?

The subject gets brought up about modifying an existing game and he stresses how much trouble people can get in.

Here's a link from when they start talking about modifying existing content. The whole interview is really interesting, but this part specifically reminded me of this RE4 project.

Could these guys potentially get in trouble once this actually goes live?

I did see that Capcom has sanctioned the project:

No worries. Capcom is aware of the project and has allowed the project thread to be pinned on the Steam discussion forum for the game.

Perhaps this is a non issue then..In the whole interview they bring up some stories where developers have the impression that "oh yeah, it's all cool, we can do this" only to get royally screwed over once the project went live.

Don't want to derail the thread by any means, just curious on other peoples thoughts

With all the insane amount of money some patrons make, I'm shocked by how little donations this has. Maybe people are waiting for them to finish?

epmode

Could these guys potentially get in trouble once this actually goes live?

No? Which companies go after texture mods?

Some monumentally shortsighted companies go after fan games but I can't think of any that go after texture mods of existing games.

Top Bottom