• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake - New Details and Pictures Revealed

OCASM

Banned
Oh, my God!! IT HAS GRAIN?!?! HOLY FUCK!! You're right!! Grain immediately screams RE4 because no other game had grain before!! It was the GRAIN that made RE4 aesthetically unique and recognizable!! And the soft lighting!! Immediate RE4 staple!!

So basically, you have no clue. Like the infant above you.
Meltdowns are still a thing, I see :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There is nothing unique to the original's lighting, there is nothing 'classic' to the grain or the original's shadows.
Actually shadows were very unique. Variable penumbra shadows are very rare even today. Back then only RE4 and Onimusha 3 had them:

A1k0yMG.jpg

And the fact that some people here are trying to prove that a 25 year old game can pull off shadows, lighting and atmosphere better than it can today is simply laughable.

Right, newer technology can only make a game look better:

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

RE4make seems to be taking the original and doing what RE1make did: darker, more claustophobic, more tense. In my eyes, it is fixing all the broken things RE4 had.
"Darker" he says:

9OkK7go.jpg

085044.jpg

Bonus: bloom looks like crap and it lacks the smoke diffusion effect from the original:

0S5Rk1e.png

mPOTGrw.png

f1WB1me.png

So, yes, RE4make improves the original in every single way, and loses nothing in return, except for not having the novelty of making shoulder-view shooters a thing.
The fixed aiming reticle alone makes this remake inferior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of new gameplay tidbits.

Weapons sound so bad....

I honestly don't understand the backlash. To this day, Demon's Souls and Dead Space are two of my favorite games. When the remakes were announced, I was ecstatic. My favorite games would look better, sound better, play better.

And they did. Why should I oppose that? Why should I call those superior versions dogshit and dismiss them as cynical cashgrabs? Why oppose the improvement of something that I love?

I fail to understand this mindest. If you love something and possess a mature enough mind to see that the thing you love has flaws, why would you not want to see those flaws lessened or removed?
One would argue that those remakes in themselves are flawed compared to the original, despite having better graphics. Demon's Souls 2009 had an atmosphere that felt missing in the remake, and them tampering with the original soundtrack had a lot to do with that.

Compare the Maneater OST from 2009:

To the remake's attempt at creating atmosphere:

My god, it's like they missed the damn point of what made the original so moody! Just another bombastic souls-borne soundtrack catered to the common denominator!

The users pointing out these flaws have a good point, but that shouldn't deter you from potentially enjoying the game when it releases.

I don't understand some users here: we can't point out flaws in games without having our opinions shot down? It's all subjective, but some of you act like we're attacking your personality.

It's a game. Some of you take it's criticism too personally.

deeptech

I don't understand some users here: we can't point out flaws in games without having our opinions shot down? It's all subjective, but some of you act like we're attacking your personality.

people like to identify with products, brands, etc.. that's why there's console "wars", "if i like it it's part of me"

Nickolaidas

One would argue that those remakes in themselves are flawed compared to the original, despite having better graphics. Demon's Souls 2009 had an atmosphere that felt missing in the remake, and them tampering with the original soundtrack had a lot to do with that.

Compare the Maneater OST from 2009:

To the remake's attempt at creating atmosphere:

To each his own. I consider the Adjudicator and Flamelurker's themes to be vastly superior to the original version. Though I still think Maiden Astraea's and Tower Knight's/Penetrator's is still better in the original.

Despite that, I consider the remake's soundtrack to be superior because it's more fitting to a boss battle, while the original's music (the majority at least) felt sleepy, drowsy, slow and unbecoming for a battle of life and death between you and outworldy demonic behemoths.

Pointing out flaws is one thing. Claiming that the remake looks like dogshit is an eye-rolling hyperbole which shouldn't be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

There's people who would kill their families to get this upcoming 6/10 so don't be shocked.

I'm getting mad Bayonetta 3 vibes from this game.

OCASM

Banned
Did you just use a lighting mod as an argument?

"Lighting mod" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

RaduN

By the way, for comparison...just in case the Nostalgia goggles are on

dK1HBb9.jpg
Honestly, apart from the obvious tehnical differences, i think original Ashely has more unique features. The chin, the nose, the ears, are all very distinctive.
The remaked one, looks like every anime 20 something girl ever, almost like a placeholder. Could it be that they haven't already put the final character assets in place?

Nickolaidas

This screenshot is from a YouTuber who plays the game on his GameCube. Same level.

E3EmDLX.png

Call me crazy, but it looks nowhere near the pic IGN posted back in that interview. Any chance we're having another Dark Souls II situation where the lighting was severely nerfed in the final product because they couldn't make it work back then?

Caaaaaaause ... this ain't it, chief.

Z86nkum.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some group of people always not going to be happy about it no matter what Capcom does, its just unwinnable battle.
TintedFondAfricanporcupine-max-1mb.gif

shiru

Banned
Pointing out flaws is one thing. Claiming that the remake looks like dogshit is an eye-rolling hyperbole which shouldn't be taken seriously.
You could also try being less of a triggered shithead over opinions. Nevermind your own hyperbolic butthurt response over the smallest criticism of this remake or praise for the original.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

You could also try being less of a triggered shithead over opinions.
I'll try. Can you try to have an opinion which amounts to little more than 'the sky is red'?

Cause that's not an opinion. It's a false statement.

You can say you prefer the original because it looks less cluttered, looks simpler, you prefer the art design, you love tank controls, all that is fine. Those are opinions, and those are fine.

But if you (not you specifically) call a 25-year old game 'flawless perfection' and call its remake which comes after 25 years of gaming evolution 'dogshit', how much weight does an opinion have?

Sorry if I came out as an asshole. It's just that people trash talk those new games for completely superficial reasons that it just tiresome to read at some point. I mean, some poster complained about Ashley's ears in the remake, as if Ashley in the Gamecube is the freakin Mona Lisa.

shiru

Banned
I'll try. Can you try to have an opinion which amounts to little more than 'the sky is red'?

Cause that's not an opinion. It's a false statement.

You can say you prefer the original because it looks less cluttered, looks simpler, you prefer the art design, you love tank controls, all that is fine. Those are opinions, and those are fine.

But if you (not you specifically) call a 25-year old game 'flawless perfection' and call its remake which comes after 25 years of gaming evolution 'dogshit', how much weight does an opinion have?

Sorry if I came out as an asshole. It's just that people trash talk those new games for completely superficial reasons that it just tiresome to read at some point. I mean, some poster complained about Ashley's ears in the remake, as if Ashley in the Gamecube is the freakin Mona Lisa.
Acting like the remake is flawless and perfect in every way as if it's the "freaking Mona Lisa", which you've been doing, and fighting anyone who thinks otherwise, is also annoying. You've also done nothing but shit on the original and flaming anyone who prefers it over the remake, so you may not want call others out for hyperbole/negativity.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Acting like the remake is flawless and perfect in every way as if it's the "freaking Mona Lisa", which you've been doing, and fighting anyone who thinks otherwise, is also annoying. You've also done nothing but shit on the original and flaming anyone who prefers it over the remake, so you may not want call others out for hyperbole.
I honestly believe the remake looks to be a lot better than its 25-year-old predecessor. Not sure if I called it 'perfect', I don't think I did. Anyway, where is the hyperbole?

I don't shit on the original, I just think it'll be inferior to a game coming 25 years later. Is this me attacking the original?

At any rate, I'll try and be less provocative.

Last edited:

Edder1

I kind of find it funny how people were saying on this board that Dead Space remake looks unremarkable visually and yet there is so much praise for RE4R graphics and presentation. Dead Space looks a whole generation ahead of this game on a technical level bar facial animations and detail. Expected far more from Capcom for what probably is their biggest game.

Last edited:
I fancy pre-ordering the game, just to get the special handgun ammo creation thingy. :)

You also get a gold attaché case. 🔫

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
This screenshot is from a YouTuber who plays the game on his GameCube. Same level.

E3EmDLX.png

Call me crazy, but it looks nowhere near the pic IGN posted back in that interview. Any chance we're having another Dark Souls II situation where the lighting was severely nerfed in the final product because they couldn't make it work back then?

Caaaaaaause ... this ain't it, chief.

Z86nkum.png
Direct feed screenshots > blurry screencaps from a random youtube video.

Nickolaidas

Direct feed screenshots > blurry screencaps from a random youtube video.

I'm talking about lighting, genius. The way the shadows work on that screenshot you posted are completely different from those in the final product. This is clearly not the lighting the final game ended up having, since your screenshot was taken from a pre-release version of the game (like in Dark Souls II which had awesome lighting pre-release, and they nerfed it to hell in the final product because they couldn't make it work due to time restraints and performance issues).

What's next? Are you going to claim that Skyrim has better-looking character models than RE4make and then post Bijin mods as proof?

Ristifer

I kind of find it funny how people were saying on this board that Dead Space remake looks unremarkable visually and yet there is so much praise for RE4R graphics and presentation. Dead Space looks a whole generation ahead of this game on a technical level bar facial animations and detail. Expected far more from Capcom for probably what is their biggest game.
People always say this fluff on these boards. Then the game is actually visible on screens and they change their tune.

It'll be the same with this one, most likely.

Stuart360

For some reason i was under the assumption this wasnt a cross gen game, i guess i was wrong judging from this footage.

Man this is a tricky one for Capcom isnt it, with how beloved the orig game is.
I think for that reason i feel this will be much more of a graphical update, with not too much changes to gameplay, compared to the other remakes so far.

OCASM

Banned
I'm talking about lighting, genius. The way the shadows work on that screenshot you posted are completely different from those in the final product. This is clearly not the lighting the final game ended up having, since your screenshot was taken from a pre-release version of the game (like in Dark Souls II which had awesome lighting pre-release, and they nerfed it to hell in the final product because they couldn't make it work due to time restraints and performance issues).

What's next? Are you going to claim that Skyrim has better-looking character models than RE4make and then post Bijin mods as proof?

"The way the shadows work" There aren't even any shadows in the screenshot. The enemies are just outside of the range of Leon's belt flashlight.

Thank you for proving once again you haven't even played the original game once :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GymWolf

For some reason i was under the assumption this wasnt a cross gen game, i guess i was wrong judging from this footage.

Man this is a tricky one for Capcom isnt it, with how beloved the orig game is.
I think for that reason i feel this will be much more of a graphical update, with not too much changes to gameplay, compared to the other remakes so far.
DS remake is nextgen only and it looks like a good ps4 game.

forspoken other than nice particles looks like a ps4 launch title.

HFW looks much better than both and it's crossgen.

We are living in a confused timeline.

Nickolaidas

B1S51mI.jpg
QjlWmEv.png

Observe how much light is generated by the torches in the left screenshot, to the point the downpour becomes visible around the flames. Observe how dynamic the shadows are in your screenshot where they obstruct the faces and upper parts of the villagers. There is clearly some very good lighting engine and attention to detail in the game, pre-release.
Yet in the final version, the ultra powerful glow surrounding the torches is all but gone. Leon's aiming at a villager at precisely the same height in both screens (the distance is exactly the same with the distance of the villager in the middle of the screen, right next to the one aimed by Leon), yet in the final release, the shadows are almost non-existent. This proves that whatever lighting engine they were working on never survived development and they scrapped it (probably because both the Gamecube and the PS2 were never strong enough hardware-wise to handle it).

If you want to prove me wrong, post a gameplay video of the Gamecube version at that part of the game which shows the lighting working as in your screenshot of the pre-released version of the game.

Otherwise,, admit you used a picture from a non-existent version of the game, take the L, and move on.

I honestly gave you a lot more attention than you deserved, and if you can't provide gameplay video as proof, I'm done with you.

Keep making laughing emojis, that doesn't make you right. It makes you a clown.

EDIT: Pictures from the PS4 version. Fun fact: Leon's 'flashlight' adds absolutely fuck all to the lighting. The villagers are fully visible both far away and next to him. The shadows do NOT. work. Like in your screenshot.

E4GVo6s.png
7xiEYeO.png

Have YOU played the game, ever?

Last edited:

angrod14

In a world where Uncharted 4 rain exists since 2016, why would you conform with GTA III DE rain in your game?

RaduN

Boy leon and ashley looks really strange in the face, not sure why.
Sera's face is even worse.

All faces are off. And why, oh why do they keep using these exagerrated facial expressions (same as every game praised for their amazing facial capture)?. For fuck's sake, real people don't do that. Keep it more subtle mother fuckers.

Edder1

In a world where Uncharted 4 rain exists since 2016, why would you conform with GTA III DE rain in your game?
For PC community I can see things like these being no problem as Resident Evil games have a huge modding community. GTA DE rain was modded to look decent hours after release, can see same happening here. This of course doesn't excuse Capcom's lame effort in this regard, especially after rain already looked very good in RE2R. Strange downgrade by Capcom, still baffled by this.

Nickolaidas

For PC community I can see things like these being no problem as Resident Evil games have a huge modding community. GTA DE rain was modded to look decent hours after release, can see same happening here. This of course doesn't excuse Capcom's lame effort in this regard, especially after rain already looked very good in RE2R. Strange downgrade by Capcom, still baffled by this.
I agree, though PC gamers aren't the only gamers in the world.

Who knows why they made rain work like this. As you've said, it worked just fine in RE2make. They CAN do it. Either this isn't the final version of the rain, or for some reason they wanted to REALLY make it stand out, but it isn't working.

OCASM

Banned
B1S51mI.jpg
QjlWmEv.png

Observe how much light is generated by the torches in the left screenshot, to the point the downpour becomes visible around the flames. Observe how dynamic the shadows are in your screenshot where they obstruct the faces and upper parts of the villagers. There is clearly some very good lighting engine and attention to detail in the game, pre-release.
Yet in the final version, the ultra powerful glow surrounding the torches is all but gone. Leon's aiming at a villager at precisely the same height in both screens (the distance is exactly the same with the distance of the villager in the middle of the screen, right next to the one aimed by Leon), yet in the final release, the shadows are almost non-existent. This proves that whatever lighting engine they were working on never survived development and they scrapped it (probably because both the Gamecube and the PS2 were never strong enough hardware-wise to handle it).

If you want to prove me wrong, post a gameplay video of the Gamecube version at that part of the game which shows the lighting working as in your screenshot of the pre-released version of the game.

Otherwise,, admit you used a picture from a non-existent version of the game, take the L, and move on.

I honestly gave you a lot more attention than you deserved, and if you can't provide gameplay video as proof, I'm done with you.

Keep making laughing emojis, that doesn't make you right. It makes you a clown.
You don't even realize torches aren't even casting light, much less shadows in the first screenshot and yet you want to appear as an expert in game graphics? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Here's another direct feed shot when the ganados are closer to Leon:

rn4SuRr.png

Nickolaidas

You don't even realize torches aren't even casting light, much less shadows in the first screenshot and yet you want to appear as an expert in game graphics? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Here's another direct feed shot when the ganados are closer to Leon:

rn4SuRr.png
Post. Gameplay. From. The. Final. Version.

Top Bottom