• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake - New Details and Pictures Revealed

Edder1

Either this isn't the final version of the rain, or for some reason they wanted to REALLY make it stand out, but it isn't working.
I think this is it. Seems like Capcom were going for that dramatic look with all the wind blowing and fog in place along with those things they call rain drops, but I can't believe someone in the office didn't think making rain so chunky was a terrible idea. Hopefully enough people complain and they fix this.

Nickolaidas

You don't even remember what you're arguing against. I'll remind you: night scenes in the original game were very dark while in the remake are so bright might as well be sunlit. The latest video just confirms this :messenger_winking:
And what you don't seem to understand, is that by showing me pictures from a version that was never released does not prove the opposite.

The Remake uses superior lighting which means that the game will be much darker than the original when there are no light sources nearby.

Case in point ...
ViLimZh.png
8yZnwKG.png

But near light sources, the scene will be brighter.
Cgw6DAX.png

The game's a lot darker and grim than it was in the original. We also see that when Leon enters the cabin where he meets the first villager. It's pitch black except where Leon targets his flashlight.
pGOuWHp.png

Compared to the original cabin where it is a lot brighter without Leon using flashlights:
nIz0aSB.png

Where exactly is your objection? Why exactly are you trying to rebuke this?

Astral Dog

Purists were always going to be disappointed and that's not a knock, but unlike Demon Souls or Ico/SOTC, we can still easily boot the original. RE4:R was always going to be disappointing to one degree or another but that's what Capcom gets for remaking one of the greatest games of all time that has mechanics that still hold up really well.
Meh, this gets repeated way too much around here, really RE4 is an old ass game not even made for the HD generation, yeah it still 'holds up' well, because its design was groundbreaking, but animation wise, graphical assets, controls, even art could use an upgrade and that's what Capcom sees in it, some potential to remake this game for a new generation of players(and even flesh out the storyline)

Its not a bad project by any means , i just wish they didn't ignored Code Veronica so we could get an amazing remake :^/
maybe someday

Last edited:
I agree, but I just shrug it off, laugh, and disengage.

It's all just fun and games at the end of the day.

I think his bigger issue is that you're more alright with the extreme negative, but not as accepting with the extreme positive. It's a double standard that sort of hurts reasonable discussion.

Also in general, both extremes just lead to echo chambering, which this forum's community claims to be opposed to because another community does that exact thing.

unclbenn

yeah i like the artistic direction in the original. it just looks a lot more cohesive, probably cause the team went to spain to take all those pictures and turned those into some top notch textures (for the time).

this new game just reminds me of "team america", everyone just looks like a doll.

the martian GIF

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

They even address the rain in the video calling it "raingate", and said they believe the whole purpose was to distort your vision making it more tense during rain segments. I wouldn't be surprised if they adjust it a bit, especially if that many people have made a stink about it.

I do think it looks a bit jarring, but everything looks so amazing I really couldn't careless. It's not going to affect my excitement for the game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game looks really good at times, and really flat at others. Rain doesnt look that bad during cutscenes. I especially like the fog on the floor. No way thats in the last gen versions of the game.

I kinda like how the lighting isnt faked and only areas that should be illuminated by lights, lamps and torches are lighting up the world. it makes some areas look really dark but some look really fucking good.

The animations on the other hand.... my god. We are literally PS2 quality. TLOU2 takes a big shit on this. The kick looks identical to the PS2 version.

OCASM

Banned
And what you don't seem to understand, is that by showing me pictures from a version that was never released does not prove the opposite.

The Remake uses superior lighting which means that the game will be much darker than the original when there are no light sources nearby.

Case in point ...
ViLimZh.png
8yZnwKG.png

But near light sources, the scene will be brighter.
Cgw6DAX.png

The game's a lot darker and grim than it was in the original. We also see that when Leon enters the cabin where he meets the first villager. It's pitch black except where Leon targets his flashlight.
pGOuWHp.png

Compared to the original cabin where it is a lot brighter without Leon using flashlights:
nIz0aSB.png

Where exactly is your objection? Why exactly are you trying to rebuke this?
"much darker than the original when there are no light sources nearby". Literally your first screenshot has no light sources on the screen and both Leon and Ashley are perfectly lit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The other examples compare daytime in the original to nighttime in the remake. You didn't realize? That goes to prove how bright nighttime is in the remake :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Meh, this gets repeated way too much around here, really RE4 is an old ass game not even made for the HD generation, yeah it still 'holds up' well, because its design was groundbreaking, but animation wise, graphical assets, controls, even art could use an upgrade and that's what Capcom sees in it, some potential to remake this game for a new generation of players(and even flesh out the storyline)

Its not a bad project by any means , i just wish they didn't ignored Code Veronica so we could get an amazing remake :^/
maybe someday

You aren't allowed to call anything meh when you advocate for Code Veronica.

shiru

Banned

Oh wonderful, walk & talk segements, just what the game needed.

This is literally the only thing Capcom sees in it: $

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
"much darker than the original when there are no light sources nearby". Literally your first screenshot has no light sources on the screen and both Leon and Ashley are perfectly lit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The other examples compare daytime in the original to nighttime in the remake. You didn't realize? That goes to prove how bright nighttime is in the remake :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I seriously wonder whether he has even played the original at all..

ZoukGalaxy

THAT is a remake.

Not like DEAD SPACE were putting my ass as texture for the new Isaac face in a fact. Yes, I'm so mad about it.

DavidGzz

The original had radio transimission screens which were easily and immediatly skippable, not actual walk & talk segments, which are unbearable and can't be skipped.

You can skip them in RE3 Remake, I don't see the issue on the first playthrough to listen to them.

shiru

Banned
You can skip them in RE3 Remake, I don't see the issue on the first playthrough to listen to them.
It may not be too bothersome on the first playtrhough, but on replays they're really annoying. Or if you die/reload the game and have to listen to the whole thing again with no way to skip it. Worst part of the Arkham games.

DavidGzz

But like I said, you can skip them in the previous games so not sure what the issue is. I agree when you can't skip them. I replayed RE3 countless times for all of the unlocks so that would have been annoying otherwise.

I think his bigger issue is that you're more alright with the extreme negative, but not as accepting with the extreme positive. It's a double standard that sort of hurts reasonable discussion.

Also in general, both extremes just lead to echo chambering, which this forum's community claims to be opposed to because another community does that exact thing.

??? Dude, I'm literally gushing over Leon. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm getting the game day 1. I disagree with the naysayers, but that doesn't mean their opinions shouldn't be heard.

Well, one thing's for certain: Japanese character designs trump Western garbage!

Leon is looking hot!
Fanning The Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited:

RaduN

maybe someday

I am playing the original GC release as we speak, and animation wise, in both gameplay and cutscenes, is as good or better than most games released today. When it's meant to be realistic it is realistic, when it's meant to be goofy, it's goofy. It's a perfect, self aware balance. Just the amount of class Leon has when he walks/runs in the original, is something apparently (and dissapointingly) unreplicable.

In fact, the body motion capture, direction and overall framing composition of cutscenes is well above the likes of TLOU.

Capcom and Konami (well, Kojima Prod.) were just that far ahead of everyone in this area.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'm probably in the minority, but the rain doesn't look that bad in motion, maybe it looks like rain mixed with snow, but it creates a nice atmosphere and it reacts with the protagonist's body.

If you're looking at the broader spectrum of literally everyone who's going to play this game, then you're in the majority. Even if the rain doesn't get fixed by release, most people aren't going to notice or care enough to allow rain to ruin their experience.

Nickolaidas

Already preordered it but cant help it that iam unimpressed with the graphics.
They need to release high-resolution screenshots. Those low-res compressed videos don't do them any favors. There are people who legitimately think the game isn't going to run at 60 fps due to those crappy videos.

Fabieter

They need to release high-resolution screenshots. Those low-res compressed videos don't do them any favors. There are people who legitimately think the game isn't going to run at 60 fps due to those crappy videos.

I dont doubt RE and capcom but the footage is like you said not the best to sell it.

Yeah exactly! Far from just being OK, it's one of my favorite games ever!

Just my opinion, really, but I thought the zombies were unnecessarily harder to kill. Like a well placed headshot really does nothing, as there's only a random chance the head will pop. And there is also precision aiming which replaces auto aiming. And I feel that just makes shooting easier.

I think they shouldn't have that, and you should have to skillfully kill zombies, or whatever...

And while I am here, why'd they omit the crows from the game if they're in that movie reboot? I think it's a case of Capcom not knowing how to implement some enemy types because of their photo-realism direction.

Madflavor

Some notes from the video:

-They've removed QTE mechanics
-Parry system was implemented as a core mechanic of the game
-They wanted to design some encounters in a way where the player has more choice on how to approach. Fight, Stealth, or Run Away.
-The Bolt Thrower is an added weapon to allow ranged stealth kills.
-Knife is more powerful in it's usefulness in the Remake, but it can be broken. (No mention if it can be repaired, but it's a safe assumption you can or at least find a new knife)
-They're aiming to make the Remake scarier than the original.

Nickolaidas

Some notes from the video:

-They've removed QTE mechanics
-Parry system was implemented as a core mechanic of the game
-They wanted to design some encounters in a way where the player has more choice on how to approach. Fight, Stealth, or Run Away.
-The Bolt Thrower is an added weapon to allow ranged stealth kills.
-Knife is more powerful in it's usefulness in the Remake, but it can be broken. (No mention if it can be repaired, but it's a safe assumption you can or at least find a new knife)
-They're aiming to make the Remake scarier than the original.
Music to my ears.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
As someone that loves RE4, I can’t help be think the voice acting got even worse in the remake. Am I alone in thinking this?

Side note, I wanted to list my many purchases of this game:

GameCube
PS2
PS3
PC (twice)
iOS (mobile version)
Wii
Xbox One
PS4
Switch
Quest 2

MMaRsu

Banned
As someone that loves RE4, I can’t help be think the voice acting got even worse in the remake. Am I alone in thinking this?

Side note, I wanted to list my many purchases of this game:

GameCube
PS2
PS3
PC (twice)
iOS (mobile version)
Wii
Xbox One
PS4
Switch
Quest 2
Its way worse dude. The merchant has been turned into a little bitch