• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Seyavesh

The posts in the other thread where people type "yeah back to horror roots at last!" make my head hurt.

I've always considered RE an action series with a horror backdrop.

it's always been very much in line with a terminator 1, 'alien' or predator over stuff like exorcist, poltergeist or halloween but the marketing focus on the horror part of it is the attraction so ultimately folks took that as their deal, especially people who haven't really played the originals in quite some time (or at all)- it's just their own marketing dictating the image of the series over the content of the games themselves

There is no way the mainline entry focuses on horror over action, action outsells it what, six to one? The melee/TPS system and all that comes with it has to be the core mechanic.
the tastiest crow a god could provide..... I am in awe.

As someone who hasn't purchased an entry since RE4 and an adamant fan of Amnesia and Silent Hill, this has my interest.

In the newest video by Capcom on their Resident Evil channel, they talked about REmake 2 and said next video they're announcing who the director of REmake 2 is. This video I speak of is a little more than a week old.

Ahh Ok, I was unaware of this. Thanks, this is good to hear.

RedSnake

Ok so watching the live trailer I see a cop, a driving section and fighting (meele?) a humanoid that looks likek a zombie.

Also on the regular trailer you can see the "kitchen" demo part where the lady kills the other dude.

I don't know... please be awesome.

It's 5am. I must sleep.

Jawmuncher

You know I think something is up here. Now that I've slowed a bit.

You have RE7 which was converted from Kitchen
You have Remasters coming out
You have Umbrella Corps
You have a canon CG movie coming with Leon, Chris, and Rebecca
You have RE2make coming
You also have the live action movie coming

I feel like Capcom is just going all in. I wouldn't be surprised if we do see another game like RE6. At this point seems they're just trying to fill every hole they can.

The biggest question is why call it 7. I wonder if it was a case of getting screwed over on the phanta Rhei engine and having something cover RE would be better. We know that kitchen wasn't in dev since after RE6. I think there's another game coming.

I think the ire should be towards Capcom not finding a middle ground instead of the ones who asked for more horror.

If this is really first person only i'll pass. 4 years of development and this is what comes out of it?

I'll give it a shot though.

Jawmuncher

I think the ire should be towards Capcom not finding a middle ground instead of the ones who asked for more horror.

If this is really first person only i'll pass. 4 years of development and this is what comes out of it?

I'll give it a shot though.

We know the kitchen demo wasn't in dev that long and this is the kitchen demo. So I think something is up

I also just jumped to the conclusion that this might be the motherfucking Alien Isolation RE game I didn't know I wanted until just right now

I can dream!

goodribs.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will say this. Capcom may in fact be gunning for the most split fanbase in gaming at this point.

I like the variety as an appreciator of many types of horror/co-op games, but someone playing through all the main Resident Evil games in order is really going to be going in for quite the rollercoaster ride.

I thought going to RE3/Code Veronica to RE4 was jarring, but going from RE6 > RE7 is going to be surreal.

You know I think something is up here. Now that I've slowed a bit.

You have RE7 which was converted from Kitchen
You have Remasters coming out
You have Umbrella Corps
You have a canon CG movie coming with Leon, Chris, and Rebecca
You have RE2make coming
You also have the live action movie coming

I feel like Capcom is just going all in. I wouldn't be surprised if we do see another game like RE6. At this point seems they're just trying to fill every hole they can.

The biggest question is why call it 7. I wonder if it was a case of getting screwed over on the phanta Rhei engine and having something cover RE would be better. We know that kitchen wasn't in dev since after RE6. I think there's another game coming.

If they come out with a spinoff series like Revelations but action focused I would totally be ok with this. Just don't let the modern RE formula completely die.

Jawmuncher

I will say this. Capcom may in fact be gunning for the most split fanbase in gaming at this point.

I like the variety as an appreciator of many types of horror/co-op games, but someone playing through all the main Resident Evil games in order is really going to be going in for quite the rollercoaster ride.

I thought going to RE3/Code Veronica to RE4 was jarring, but going from RE6 > RE7 is going to be surreal.
Seriously. So weird they went for this rather than a middle ground.

If they come out with a spinoff series like Revelations but action focused I would totally be ok with this. Just don't let the modern RE formula completely die.

We were the alphas, now we're the betas

Now that RE7 has been announced and it will be first person only, what will happen to Mercenaries? I needed some of that in my life :(

RE6 and RE5 for PS4/XBO, bruh.

We won't be seeing a new mercenaries mode in a long time, if ever again. It's not like Revelations series have it.

Could hope for a remaster of Mercenaries 3D to celebrate this 20th anniversary.

Took a peak at a stream of the demo. Looks like it could be a legit good horror game so I will definitely play it but I sure hope they keep making Revelations games and that REmake 2 is similar to REmake.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The real RE7 is in a 60 million dollar trashbin somewhere.

Someday we'll learn how they tossed it all out, and went with whateverthefuck this is. Probably starred Jill proper. And I will weep. Forever.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't know if there's any combat in the demo, but I was watching the trailer, and 100% one of RE's classic shotguns can be spotted in a shot:

72f0adf574e9c3875ddca9b0054c3179.png

I do think there will be gunplay, though maybe not at first.

Classic RE has its inspiration from classic b-movie horror and action tropes. RE7 looks like a spritual reboot by making it an homage to a different set of exploitation horror/slasher films like texas chainsaw massacre. Who knows though? If its anything like classic RE, our protagonists stumble upon only the surface of a shitty situation and are forced to uncover even greater darkness and conspiracies underneath.

I will say, I think the game isn't combat-less.

I might be wrong, but I have my sneaking suspicion it does, in fact, have combat.

What was the game in the conference ending sizzle reel thar was first person and firing a sidearm at leaping zombies on what looked like a congested freeway or intersection?

I was at the theater experience, so there was a bit too much going on to focus.

And wow at the comments that horror shouldn't exist because of sales. I'd rather focus on what I want than what potentially 6 million others do. If that aligns with the majority sales, great. If not, it's still something to my taste. I will add that the theater went nuts for it, so it doesnt seem players have some adversion to horror. It just can't be stale or poor in presentation.

Middle ground would have been a better transition and have never liked any of the FPS RE spinoffs, but a wait and see approach is in order.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The thing I'll give the game is the titles: Resident Evil 7 biohazard/BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil is a good way to incorporate the other title.

So this is a quick shot I took on mobile after watching the sizzle reel again:

Em8f8aP

I haven't found another game on PS VR like it confirmed, nor does it look like any other games announced. Doesn't really look that good enough to fit nor on a plantation, but it could be early footage thrown in and our first look at combat.

It's a damn shame that this is looking like a budget mainline title due to whatever they may have scrapped. I want a horror atmosphere in RE, but not like this.

Edit: May have to click to access the img. First time doing this mobile side.

joe2187

Banned
So my impressions.

Pros.
-Focus on atmosphere
-Intricate puzzles (interesting use of Video to solve puzzles)
-Trap infested house with secret passages.
-More claustrophobic experience.
-Does all those things well.

Cons.
-Invisible walls during certain playable scenes (poorly planned)
-Confusing puzzles (or just straight up red herrings? not sure there are two items that seem to go together but dont do a damn thing)
-limited options, cant hit, pick up, move or do anything that isnt interactble.
-Lack of music, no soundtrack only creeking house noises and banging of objects.
-Jump scares are laughable and cliche
-Antagonists arent really much of anything so far.
-The one enemy in the game seems to appear out of thin air when you're in an enclosed room with no other entrances or exits to grab you from behind. It looks really bad and has no explanations as to why he's able to do so.

overall it was enjoyable after the first two playthroughs, but banging my head against things trying to find a use for an item for nearly an hour and half led to much frustration. The serious lack of interactive items really diminshes any enjoyment I would have had with puzzle solving. Spoilers
pretty damn sure I heard Adas voice when I asnwered the phone during the end.

Jawmuncher

So this is a quick shot I took on mobile after watching the sizzle reel again:

Em8f8aP

I haven't found another game on PS VR like it confirmed, nor does it look like any other games announced. Doesn't really look that good enough to fit nor on a plantation, but it could be early footage thrown in and our first look at combat.

It's a damn shame that this is looking like a budget mainline title due to whatever they may have scrapped. I want a horror atmosphere in RE, but not like this.

Edit: May have to click to access the img. First time doing this mobile side.

I'm definitely getting the feeling that this was
-Made on a budget vastly cheaper than RE6
-Is a result of Phanta Rhei Problems
-Is definitely not the first idea they had for RE7

Since it's basically confirmed that once reception of Kitchen was good. Someone at Capcom must've went "slap re on that and call it a day. By January 2017 it's what 4-5 years since the last main line? They needed absolutely something to come out with the name. I wonder what this would mean for say RE8. I feel like the future of the series isn't going to be reliant on this style for mainline. Unless it sells absolutely crazy

News Bot

Banned
In other non-BIO7 news, it looks like Shenya Pharmaceutical, a pharmaceutical company trying to steal Umbrella research in the BIOHAZARD heavenly island manga, is featured in BIOHAZARD UMBRELLA CORPS in some capacity. Their logo is in the latest trailer (dragon head with two swords). There are also several other logos, including what looks like a new BSAA logo.

DVCY201

Nooo, I hate first person :( And the lack of OG characters is sooo disappointing, I don't want more brand new characters I'll never hear of again

Top Bottom