• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

"This key is useless now" - How do they know???

It kind of makes sense in some ways. Like, in older games, when you're searched the whole mansion and found three doors with heart keyholes, when you use said key on said three doors, it's not a big leap in logic to assume you don't need the key anymore.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It makes sense that the "master of unlocking" would know. Not so much everyone else

kow1WF.gif

ok, ok, she wouldn't know

Psxphile

It makes sense that the "master of unlocking" would know. Not so much everyone else

kow1WF.gif

ok, ok, she wouldn't know

How does "the Master of Unlocking" not carry her own lockpick tools around with her? Questions upon questions!
Probably left it on the chopper. Thanks Brad.

Lunafreya

I'm surprised that the live-action RE movie trailer hasn't been shown yet. They said comic-con, yet nothing! Oh well at least we got minor RE7 tidbits and fans doing zombie pose!

kamineko

it's interesting, for instance, to remember the reception of RE4 on PS2. It didn't sell very well, and GAF was quite negative about the graphical differences.

To me, Separate Ways made it an obvious must-buy, but I can see how people who aren't overly intense, crazed fans (like me) wouldn't care much about it.

What do y'all think? Is Separate Ways essential?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've wanted to get back into the series for years now and it might be time, is the RE4 HD Edition a good PC port? It's where I'd start if it is. Any performance or other issues that would make me question buying it?

kamineko

I've wanted to get back into the series for years now and it might be time, is the RE4 HD Edition a good PC port? It's where I'd start if it is. Any performance or other issues that would make me question buying it?

I think it runs well currently. Worked fine with my X1 controller. The PC version also has the advantage of one day getting that fancy texture mod some fans are working on (there's a GAF thread about it that gets bumped with updates sometimes). The work I've seen so far is really incredible.

Presumably that's the same (approximately) version consoles will be getting on August 30, but tech details are pretty hard to come by for these console remasters.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think it runs well currently. Worked fine with my X1 controller. The PC version also has the advantage of one day getting that fancy texture mod some fans are working on (there's a GAF thread about it that gets bumped with updates sometimes). The work I've seen so far is really incredible.

Presumably that's the same (approximately) version consoles will be getting on August 30, but tech details are pretty hard to come by for these console remasters.

I'm a one and done type of guy, so unless the mod releases tomorrow I'd never play it anyway ;)

It's in my cart, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or buy something else as my next game to run through.

Jawmuncher

I like that you can get achievements and trophies in Mercenaries United. Went and mopped up all the side stuff there and got enough points for all the versus characters. Not ready to play the campaign yet, but I wanted some RE action.

As someone who only had access to the 'Cube version til after college- nah. :p I just played through them for the first time in the PC port and really enjoyed the experience but wish the chapters were more substantial. Nothing essential really.

Awesome concept though, and really frames "Mister Kennedy's" adventure in a fun way.

Zambatoh

it's interesting, for instance, to remember the reception of RE4 on PS2. It didn't sell very well, and GAF was quite negative about the graphical differences.

To me, Separate Ways made it an obvious must-buy, but I can see how people who aren't overly intense, crazed fans (like me) wouldn't care much about it.

Wait! Wait! Wait! Didn't the PS2 version completely outsell the Gamecube version?

Edit: Yeah that's right. According to this chart, the PS2 version is still the highest selling version of the game.

Not really. It's definitely a cool extra, but it's kinda just a condensed and less interesting version of the main campaign and it doesn't even have the creepy atmospheric music in the village chapters iirc. I have more fun with assignment Ada tbh.

Mr_Zombie

It's not essential, but it still more of RE4 fun (IIRC it took me about 5 or so hours the first time I played it). However, it's clear that a different team was responsible for the scenario, since the drop in quality is obvious. It's good, but not RE4 good.

It also had "Ada's Report" that cleared a few things up. Right now, after RE5, RE6, two Revelations games and two CGI movies, it lost its importance; but back then, when RE4 was seen as very loosely connected to the whole RE universe, the Report had a lot of interesting tidbits.

Fun fact: during the village siege you can notice Leon running around being chased by Ganados.

Kuraudo

Banned
The best part if Seperate Ways was finding out what happened to Leon's jacket.

How does "the Master of Unlocking" not carry her own lockpick tools around with her? Questions upon questions!
Probably left it on the chopper. Thanks Brad.

Chris is meant to be the best marksman yet they send him in without a gun. STARS gonna STARS.

kamineko

I'm a one and done type of guy, so unless the mod releases tomorrow I'd never play it anyway ;)

It's in my cart, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or buy something else as my next game to run through.

Well, if you decided to go for it, let us know what you think!

As someone who only had access to the 'Cube version til after college- nah. :p I just played through them for the first time in the PC port and really enjoyed the experience but wish the chapters were more substantial. Nothing essential really.

Awesome concept though, and really frames "Mister Kennedy's" adventure in a fun way.

A fair assessment, though (at the time) I felt like Ada's Report was useful in understanding the wider implications of the plot

Not really. It's definitely a cool extra, but it's kinda just a condensed and less interesting version of the main campaign and it doesn't even have the creepy atmospheric music in the village chapters iirc. I have more fun with assignment Ada tbh.

Plus, she's a total badass in that tac gear

It's not essential, but it still more of RE4 fun (IIRC it took me about 5 or so hours the first time I played it). However, it's clear that a different team was responsible for the scenario, since the drop in quality is obvious. It's good, but not RE4 good.

It also had "Ada's Report" that cleared a few things up. Right now, after RE5, RE6, two Revelations games and two CGI movies, it lost its importance; but back then, when RE4 was seen as very loosely connected to the whole RE universe, the Report had a lot of interesting tidbits.

Fun fact: during the village siege you can notice Leon running around being chased by Ganados.

Good point, the impact of Ada's Report has been largely eliminated by Wesker's return and other details of 5 (and later games). Spotting Leon on the move is pretty cool, though.

The best part if Seperate Ways was finding out what happened to Leon's jacket.

Haha, probably so.

Wait! Wait! Wait! Didn't the PS2 version completely outsell the Gamecube version?

Edit: Yeah that's right. According to this chart, the PS2 version is still the highest selling version of the game.

Yes, it did. My bad. However, the launch was underwhelming (just check out that OT I linked above) and initial sales pace was slower. I think a lot of players waited for the budget-priced Greatest Hits (or until they were bored with Outbreak File #2). I had forgotten how ambivalent many reactions were here and elsewhere to the PS2 version at launch.

I'm looking forward to returning to it; the last couple of times I've played RE4 I just did two main campaign runs (normal and then pro)

Auctopus

Most relevant thread I could find...

For people who have played the current PS4 version of Resi 5 and 6. What sort of improvements were there graphically?

I'm looking forward to Resi 4 (PS4) on August 30th but was wondering what sort of flourishes I might notice. I don't care about better textures or assets etc. but will the IQ be a lot smoother with less jaggies?

Jawmuncher

For people who have played the current PS4 version of Resi 5 and 6. What sort of improvements were there graphically?

I'm looking forward to Resi 4 (PS4) on August 30th but was wondering what sort of flourishes I might notice. I don't care about better textures or assets etc. but will the IQ be a lot smoother with less jaggies?

That basically sums up the ports, cleaner and with better frame rates than the original. They're worth the $20 price easily.

kamineko

Hey, welcome to the thread!

Both 5 & 6 look better on new consoles in terms of IQ. Technically, 6 is the superior port because the framerate seems to stay pretty consistent. 5 gets in the 50s quite frequently, and some of the fmv cutscenes just look meh. I still consider it the definitive console experience and had (still having) a blast with it.

So far as 4 goes, I'm not certain what we should expect. A port of the PC Ultimate HD version? I've actually tried reaching out to Capcom because I want technical details for my OT. I'm confident it will be better than the PS360 ports, but beyond that we just don't have any info as of yet. It's a month away, though, so hopefully some info will get to us before then.

Auctopus

That basically sums up the ports, cleaner and with better frame rates than the original. They're worth the $20 price easily.

Hey, welcome to the thread!

Both 5 & 6 look better on new consoles in terms of IQ. Technically, 6 is the superior port because the framerate seems to stay pretty consistent. 5 gets in the 50s quite frequently, and some of the fmv cutscenes just look meh. I still consider it the definitive console experience and had (still having) a blast with it.

So far as 4 goes, I'm not certain what we should expect. A port of the PC Ultimate HD version? I've actually tried reaching out to Capcom because I want technical details for my OT. I'm confident it will be better than the PS360 ports, but beyond that we just don't have any info as of yet. It's a month away, though, so hopefully some info will get to us before then.

Excellent. Thanks for the answers :)

Marow

Hiya all :>

I've recently been playing through the latter half of the RE games on PC. This includes 4, 5, 6 and Rev 1. It's been a fun journey and am looking forward to playing the rest (Rev 2, 1, 0) whenever next there's a Steam sale. I had played 4 many years ago, but I got an urge to try it out again to give the whole franchise a try and it paid off!

Originally I had thought of thinking of creating a LTTP for Revelations as I'm super curious what others think of it, but for now decided not to as I'm not in the mood for writing a lengthy text. That said, what are your thoughts on the game?

Personally, I loved Revelations despite some rough technical edges that obviously come from originally being a handheld game. I loved the setting, the story portrayal and general pacing (bit-sized, sure, but well-done). It's actually a game I almost wish had been a proper mainline title and slightly expanded upon.

Lunafreya

CAPCOM is also working on fixing the weird FPS amongst other minor issues for the PS4/XONE RE5 ports.
So they are suppose to be stable 60fps once the patch is out!

I want august already!
Gamescom is bound to have something new for us concerning RE7 and possible unannounced (RE2make?) RE game!

Edit: Hello Marow, welcome!

PaulBizkit

Originally I had thought of thinking of creating a LTTP for Revelations as I'm super curious what others think of it, but for now decided not to as I'm not in the mood for writing a lengthy text. That said, what are your thoughts on the game?

Personally, I loved Revelations despite some rough technical edges that obviously come from originally being a handheld game. I loved the setting, the story portrayal and general pacing (bit-sized, sure, but well-done). It's actually a game I almost wish had been a proper mainline title and slightly expanded upon.

All the parts involving Jill and Chris were pretty good, specially Jill's first part. But, the parts with the two guys in the snow, the escape from Terragrigia (flashback) and Jessica as a comic relief seemed really out of place. But, since Jill is my favorite character, just her parts make up for any other bad thing this game may have.

But what really stays in my mind were the boss battles, 100% true classic video game boss battles. Running around, evading hits, aiming carefully, reviving my partner, dying several times, learning the boss's movement patern. It was great. SPECIALLY the final boss.

RE Rev feels like the real sequel to RE4.

kamineko

Hiya all :>

I've recently been playing through the latter half of the RE games on PC. This includes 4, 5, 6 and Rev 1. It's been a fun journey and am looking forward to playing the rest (Rev 2, 1, 0) whenever next there's a Steam sale. I had played 4 many years ago, but I got an urge to try it out again to give the whole franchise a try and it paid off!

I bought a 3DS specifically for REV1, and I was really impressed with how great it looked. I later bought it on 360 and loved doing it all over again.

I think it's a fantastic game, though it's true that its handheld roots sometimes poke through on the HD versions. I really enjoyed the tone and story (so convoluted! I don't think I completely "got it" until I read the summary in Thomas Wilde's plot analysis document. Too bad he's no longer updating it) compared with RE5 (and RE6). The addition of Raid Mode is awesome, as well, though the formula remains unperfected. I kind of wish we could get a stand alone Raid title.

Even though it doesn't have best Jill, it was great to see her starring in a game again. The FBC hunter blowouts were a little tedious, but otherwise a great game. I recommend reading Jessica's Report if you haven't already. It was part of a Japanese-only release but has been translated at Project Umbrella..

I hope we see Jessica and Raymond again.

kamineko

I think CVx is the only mainline game that hasn't been ported to PC

So your most recent ports are the PS360 versions. I played the 360 version, and it's fine.

Or, if you're into retro stuff both the PS2 and GC versions are OK, too. From a canon perspective, the original, Dreamcast version has been superceded by these other versions (the "x" in the title), so I would skip that one unless you plan on playing more than one version.

Jawmuncher

I'm not a big fan of the revelations games. Mainly since the gameplay takes a step back there. They aren't bad, but I don't look as forward to replaying them as I do other games in the series.

My favorite parts of Revelations 1 were actually the more straightforward levels funny enough.

RE Rev feels like the real sequel to RE4.

I think Evil Within feels more like a sequel to RE4 than any of the actual RE games (well, 5 is obviously closest, but it doesn't quite capture the same spirit).

Revelations 2 kinda gets some of the atmosphere though, with the lonely dilapidated, rusty Russian towns.

I continued my hard difficulty replay of Rev 2 the other day and it's so fucking hard. I'm at the boss fight in Barry's chapter 2 and I think I just have to restart the whole chapter because I don't have enough ammo to beat it.

Jawmuncher

I think Evil Within feels more like a sequel to RE4 than any of the actual RE games (well, 5 is obviously closest, but it doesn't quite capture the same spirit).

Revelations 2 kinda gets some of the atmosphere though, with the lonely dilapidated, rusty Russian towns.

I continued my hard difficulty replay of Rev 2 the other day and it's so fucking hard. I'm at the boss fight in Barry's chapter 2 and I think I just have to restart the whole chapter because I don't have enough ammo to beat it.

I always disagree about TEW with and Resident Evil. Those games don't even feel similar in the slightest. If you took Mikami's name off of it, I don't think anyone would even compare aside from maybe the village section.

I always disagree about TEW with and Resident Evil. Those games don't even feel similar in the slightest. If you took Mikami's name off of it, I don't think anyone would even compare aside from maybe the village section.

I feel Mikami's fingerprints all over the game. Level design, encounter design, pacing, combat systems, boss battles...The aesthetics are very different of course, but even that has a common thread since it does have the gothic touch of REmake thanks to the art director being the same across those titles. Like Chapter 9 could almost be the Spencer mansion.

But there are plenty of more obvious sections of the games besides the village that recal RE4 overtly, like the entirety of Chapter 6 feels like a lost chapter of 4. Sooo good.

Jawmuncher

I feel Mikami's fingerprints all over the game. Level design, encounter design, pacing, combat systems, boss battles...The aesthetics are very different of course, but even that has a common thread since it does have the gothic touch of REmake thanks to the art director being the same across those titles. Like Chapter 9 could almost be the Spencer mansion.

But there are plenty of more obvious sections of the games besides the village that recal RE4 overtly, like the entirety of Chapter 6 feels like a lost chapter of 4. Sooo good.

Can't say I agree. Had I gotten those feelings from it, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Can't say I agree. Had I gotten those feelings from it, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

You didn't think going from a claustrophobic building defense scenario where you are mobbed by cultists to going to a wide open fight where there's a ranged enemy pinning you down as you navigate traps enemies, and gimmicks like shutter doors opening on either more enemies or items, and then go into a one on one fight with a chainsaw guy, then a little bit of exploratjon and atmosphere building, then a brief fight that segues into two giant troll enemies, (etc, etc) felt RE4 ish in terms of the encounter design and how they were stretched together? And that's not even touching on how the enemies there are basically the same as the ones you fight in the castle in RE4 and the setting is similar too except set in the daytime.

Jawmuncher

You didn't think going from a claustrophobic building defense scenario where you are mobbed by cultists to going to a wide open fight where there's a ranged enemy pinning you down as you navigate traps enemies, and gimmicks like shutter doors opening on either more enemies or items, and then go into a one on one fight with a chainsaw guy, then a little bit of exploratjon and atmosphere building, then a brief fight that segues into two giant troll enemies, (etc, etc) felt RE4 ish in terms of the encounter design and how they were stretched together? And that's not even touching on how the enemies there are basically the same as the ones you fight in the castle in RE4 and the setting is similar too except set in the daytime.

I really didn't. I think it was more due to the gameplay style it had. Using Light Arrows to atun and stab majority of the enemies didn't help matters.

JayEH

Let's hope Tango steals more from RE4 for TEW2 mostly in terms of melee finishers.
Please get rid of the stealth.

kamineko

Man, speaking of TEW, I was so bummed that there was no Tango news during Bethesda's E3 presentation--that was the only reason I watched it live.

We haven't heard anything about a sequel, have we? We know Tango was hiring a while back, but that's it

I really didn't. I think it was more due to the gameplay style it had. Using Light Arrows to atun and stab majority of the enemies didn't help matters.

I meant the scenarios outside of the gameplay systems, which are definitely a departure from RE4 thanks to stealth system and the crossbow, but even then there are definitely Mikami traits with it.

The match system is also both a risk/reward system akin to melee in RE4 (have to get up close to the enemies in order to do a 1 hit KO) and is a callback to torching bodies in REmake and managing matches/fuel.

But yeah, a lot of the gameplay changes from RE4 are a direct response to it since he felt people got too used to the RE4 enemies and systems so he made them faster and more unpredictable, so headshots can just make their hitbox smaller, they flail and attack on the ground, etc.

The crossbow is just dope though. So versatile and satisfying! Harpooning guys to walls, setting up bomb traps, or flashbombing a room so you can stealth kill everyone is lots o fun.

But yea, gameplay is for sure a departure from RE4 but it's also an evolution/response to it and still bears the hallmarks of how Mikami designs his games. REmake and RE4 are even more different than RE4 and Evil Within, and those still very much share Mikami touches.

Of the Mikami games I've played only Dino Crisis feels like the odd duck out. I haven't played the whole game tho.

Man, speaking of TEW, I was so bummed that there was no Tango news during Bethesda's E3 presentation--that was the only reason I watched it live.

We haven't heard anything about a sequel, have we? We know Tango was hiring a while back, but that's it

Yeah that was my most hyped E3 game. I want it more than RE7 honestly.

All we know is they were hiring people with Unreal 4 experience I think.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm hopping in since this topic interests me. I actually find your opinion on Revelations 2 & Evil Within interesting, my stance comes from a different place since I actually enjoyed both of those quite a bit, but I can see how others with different tastes than mine would disagree.

Revelations 2 & Evil Within I think are quite different games, but both have something I really enjoy in common. I'll first talk about their similarities, but then their differences.

Revelations 2 I liked quite a bit, more than I expected, but yet there's things I think it could do much better, but things that won me over. I feel something that tied into my love of Revelations 2 a lot was because I played it on the hardest difficulty available from the start, which I know a lot of people don't do, but I do quite often when I game. Revelations 2 I think really shined for me on that difficulty, since it made each scene a super tense and strategic play since the enemies could whoop your ass super quickly if you weren't careful, and you had limited supplies, but just enough to scrape by and you had enough options available to you to try different strategies and find what worked best in a situation. This was even more true I felt in Evil Within, but they both had some similar elements of having limited gun supplies but different weapons for situations, a trapping method, stealth, an option in most cases where you can flee, environmental things, and I had a lot of fun changing up my strategy and using the resources at hand to get by dangerous odds and different sorts of enemies who were all tackled differently themselves. I feel Revelations 2 was really tough at segments on Hard, and Evil Within's normal difficulty was pretty challenging too, but I appreciated the challenge and the variety of scenarios they said.

Revelations 2 I think was paced a bit better than Evil Within actually, but I think Evil Within had much better, refined mechanics. Revelations 2 had a better story, but I think Evil Within had much better atmosphere. Revelations 2 I think actually ended up having better boss battles however, but Evil Within I think was quite gorgeous and breathtaking at times. But both games had some jank and roughness on the edges (Revelations 2 a bit more than Evil Within, but they both had it), and I realize the reasons I enjoyed them may be some of the same reasons people don't enjoy them. But why I enjoyed them had to do with the difficulty, the resourcefulness, the enemies you fight, the sort of environments in both and variety/execution of them, the atmosphere and tension in certain situations, along with stand-out scenes that I really enjoyed in both. Then Revelations 2 had an enjoyable cheesy story on-top of that, and Evil Within had some gorgeous art direction.

I liked both of them, and I partially find them fascinating to talk about since there's some big love/hate things that are going on for both of them, maybe more for Evil Within than Revelations 2.

Revelations 2 had very solid boss fights (I was really pleasantly surprised with them) but Evil Within blows them out of the water imo. Evil Within's bosses are right up there with RE4 for me, maybe even better overall. I just wish there were a few more rather than repeat fights with some of the same enemies.

Other than that and pacing, I agree with your assessment of the two games, Dusk.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I think it was a bit too soon to talk about their project, pretty sure we'll hear about it/it may even release next year. Have to remember despite it all, Evil Within did release less than two years ago, and the last DLC piece released only a year ago.

They're working on their next game is confirmed, but no confirmation on what it is. However, it's next to confirmed that they're working on The Evil Within 2. They said a long time ago that Evil Within was made to be a franchise, not a single one-off game. The way Evil Within ends is a bit cliffhanger-ish, and the DLC for Evil Within just built up a sequel even more. Evil Within did not sell badly at all, it even hit the world record for most units sold of a new survival-horror IP (and beating Dead Space before it) before Dying Light came around. Bethesda keeps on pushing Evil Within in their conferences as one of their major franchises along with Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dishonored, etc. They listed it as a 'franchise' at last E3 that will be supported by their console mod scene thing, and though Evil Within didn't appear at this E3 they had a lot of representation for the game at this E3 as well.

Top Bottom