• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

BTails

SeparateWays.jpg

Haven't played Separate Ways in forever, and had forgotten that the title screen is a direct homage
(rip-off)
of the poster for La Femme Nikita.

"This key is useless now" - How do they know???

I was just thinking the other day, does anyone actually NOT discard the keys after they're useless? I mean, the game always gives you the option, but who wouldn't free up the inventory space? Extra hard mode maybe?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh, actually, speaking about difficulty.

Did anyone else notice for Resident Evil 7 one of the pre-order bonuses is having the hardest difficulty unlocked from the beginning? There's also that item 'survival' pack thing, but I find that a little odd. I really don't care too much about the pre-order stuff, I will be pre-ordering the Deluxe Edition of RE7 on Steam when it's available to get the bonus post-release episode & short story episodes, but I find the difficulty thing to be interesting, maybe not the smartest move on Capcom's part, but something to talk about. As a pre-order it kind of fails since it feels like, why lock people out of it from the start otherwise? And it's unlockable anyway, how come?

But then it being unlockable, and a pre-order bonus, makes me wonder how it differs from the normal game. It makes it seem like there's some big differences in the game's hardest difficulty. More-so, Capcom have done big differences in difficulty before, Revelations 1 fiddled with Infernal Difficulty which made big changes to enemy placement/number, and item placement, and some much tougher enemies appeared much earlier in the game. Revelations 2 also did some things with enemy placement, it included some trickier placed enemies on the hard difficulty to make it harder.Then some older Capcom horror games had this; REmake had harder enemy placements and less health and ammo items on hard, Director's Cut had an arranged mode, Haunting Ground & Clock Tower 3 had recolored versions of their stalkers with much harder AI behavoir and new attacks they could do on you when playing on their unlockable hard difficulty modes.

And since they have an unlockable hardest difficulty, but will let this difficulty be available from the start if you pre-order, does imply to me that maybe there's some big differences in RE7's Hardest difficulty compared to its other difficulties, like maybe some remixed elements, different enemy placement, maybe if more personalized enemies they have new challenges to them, item placement differences, etc. And I am going to pre-order and I will have it unlocked from the start, and when I play these games I like to play from the default highest difficulty available, so I'm really debating if I should do my first playthrough on this difficulty for a real blind challenge with excitement and tension, or if I should just do my first playthrough on the non-unlockable hardest difficulty and then do that one for the next playthrough.

I think I need to know more about RE7 and its hardest difficulty to fully make this judgement, but I think it's a bit odd it's an early-unlock pre-order bonus, and I'm wondering what that might imply for the difficulty itself, and debating if I should go for it on my first run or not. If it's just the same game, but harder, then I probably would. But I would love for it to make some huge changes to the game design to be harder, with additional things and changes, but if it does that then maybe it'd be best for the second run, but part of me hopes it has severe differences for replayability.

It's more evidence that the game will be more "gameplay"/systems heavy than many people were worried about after the demo, so that's good news to me.

I don't think Revelations 2 swapped enemies around like Rev1 did, it just had extra enemies on top of the exact same ones on lower difficulties.

Putting a difficulty behind a pre-order bonus is stupid though. The first time through a game is always the best for horror titles, if you need unlock it and replay through then you get a diminished experience since you already know the layout of things, how to deal with things etc etc.

But if the hard difficulty remixes things, then that's exactly what it would combat. You get to play the game again and your familiarity is tested by both the greater challenge and new/different enemy placements and stuff like that, keeping it fresh.

It is really dumb as a pre-order bonus though.

But if the hard difficulty remixes things, then that's exactly what it would combat. You get to play the game again and your familiarity is tested by both the greater challenge and new/different enemy placements and stuff like that, keeping it fresh.

It is really dumb as a pre-order bonus though.

What I mean though is you're no longer exploring, you know the layout, and since you've dealt with enemies already you already got tactics to deal with them. Knowing this greatly reduces the experience, even if the enemy and item placements are different.

Dusk Golem

I don't think Revelations 2 swapped enemies around like Rev1 did, it just had extra enemies on top of the exact same ones on lower difficulties.

Putting a difficulty behind a pre-order bonus is stupid though. The first time through a game is always the best for horror titles, if you need unlock it and replay through then you get a diminished experience since you already know the layout of things, how to deal with things etc etc.

That's what I meant for Revelations 2, not to imply differently, but they added some additional enemy placement on Hard difficulty to make scenes trickier. Revelations 1 HD had Infernal Mode, which was completely remixed to the main game, but Revelations 2's hard difficulty added a few extra enemies to make combat/stealth both harder in certain segments, basically strategically placed additional enemies to provide more of a challenge on hard.

I agree with you that locking it behind a pre-order to be available from the start is dumb, and I think if it works better as an unlockable to be an unlockable or just available from the start for everybody if it doesn't work best as an unlockable. It's my whole dilemma over this as someone who will be pre-ordering anyways though, for any horror game, even if its procedural generated or whatever, the first playthrough of a horror game is crucial. You will never have that first blind run ever again. Good horror games can of course be a lot of fun to replay, but enjoying them the first time through is crucial and a different sort of thing entirely. So that's why I'm sort of split on this, and I hope they do release some more information on this.

If the Hardest difficulty is just the base game, but... Harder. Then I think I will want that to be my base difficulty to play through the first time since I enjoy my first blind run to be against challenging odds, its how I play almost all my horror games, on the hardest possible option from the start, but then if it's just that and it's locked away from the beginning for non-preorder consumers, that's dumb.

On the other-hand, if it's like a mode that expects you to have played the base game originally and then throws in some big curve-balls that messes with expectations and provides new challenges not in the regular difficulties, and designed to be played after the main game, then I don't really want that to be my first run of the game but a subsequent run, in which case why even have it unlocked from the start?

I am going to pre-order the game as I said, I think RE7 actually will be a really good game, and I am excited for it. But I think this particular difficulty pre-order decision was dumb from either angle, but I hope they at least clarify since I want to know which difficulty I should be playing for my first run as someone who usually plays on the hardest difficulty in horror games available from the start, but appreciates difficulties that 'remix' and change major things for a subsequent playthrough.

What I mean though is you're no longer exploring, you know the layout, and since you've dealt with enemies already you already got tactics to deal with them. Knowing this greatly reduces the experience, even if the enemy and item placements are different.

Definitely. But I there's not much they can do to freshen things up for a second playthrough short of making a whole new set of levels, so I think hard modes that remix things are a really great step in that direction. Evil Within experimented a tiny bit with randomized enemy placements in one chapter too, which I wish it had done throughout the game, as that also goes a long way to keeping you on your toes even in one playthrough if you keep restarting a checkpoint.

I've only played the demo of Evil Within (so, up to chapter 3). I thought the gameplay was OK, but everything else was disappointing. The story made no sense. I still plan to play the whole game once it hits $5 or less. Unlike RE, TEW didn't seem to make much effort in making its characters likeable or memorable.

Hiya all :>

I've recently been playing through the latter half of the RE games on PC. This includes 4, 5, 6 and Rev 1. It's been a fun journey and am looking forward to playing the rest (Rev 2, 1, 0) whenever next there's a Steam sale. I had played 4 many years ago, but I got an urge to try it out again to give the whole franchise a try and it paid off!

Originally I had thought of thinking of creating a LTTP for Revelations as I'm super curious what others think of it, but for now decided not to as I'm not in the mood for writing a lengthy text. That said, what are your thoughts on the game?

Personally, I loved Revelations despite some rough technical edges that obviously come from originally being a handheld game. I loved the setting, the story portrayal and general pacing (bit-sized, sure, but well-done). It's actually a game I almost wish had been a proper mainline title and slightly expanded upon.

I loved Revelations. It was the first 3DS game I bought alongside Mario 3D Land. The game felt like the true successor to RE4 for me.

I enjoyed it even more once the HD port came out, finally didn't have to deal with the 3DS controls.

Dusk Golem

I've only played the demo of Evil Within (so, up to chapter 3). I thought the gameplay was OK, but everything else was disappointing. The story made no sense. I still plan to play the whole game once it hits $5 or less. Unlike RE, TEW didn't seem to make much effort in making its characters likeable or memorable.

You're not wrong about the character thing, outside of Joseph a bit I didn't feel much for many of the characters. This strangely is improved a lot more in the DLC than the main game, Kidman is actually a lot more likable there, as are the protagonist, but I completely agree one of Evil Within's weakest elements was its characters, who have fine enough designs, but just aren't made very interesting, even if there's a few interesting character moments later in (and most have to do with Joseph, who is by far the character given the most personality in the main game).

This said, when you do eventually play, curious what you think. Evil Within actually changes a lot between chapter to chapter, the demo is a good measure for the basic game, but the demo cuts out right before the fist major shift in tone and design in the game, which happens in Chapter 4.

Hiya all :>

I've recently been playing through the latter half of the RE games on PC. This includes 4, 5, 6 and Rev 1. It's been a fun journey and am looking forward to playing the rest (Rev 2, 1, 0) whenever next there's a Steam sale. I had played 4 many years ago, but I got an urge to try it out again to give the whole franchise a try and it paid off!

Originally I had thought of thinking of creating a LTTP for Revelations as I'm super curious what others think of it, but for now decided not to as I'm not in the mood for writing a lengthy text. That said, what are your thoughts on the game?

Personally, I loved Revelations despite some rough technical edges that obviously come from originally being a handheld game. I loved the setting, the story portrayal and general pacing (bit-sized, sure, but well-done). It's actually a game I almost wish had been a proper mainline title and slightly expanded upon.

Only just saw this now from the above post, my opinion on the first Revelations is that it's good for a handheld take on Resident Evil, but I do think some of the combat does suffer for it off handhelds in feeling a little odd. It has some kind of dull bits and most of the side chapters I didn't like nearly as much as the main chapters, but in saying that, I did find most of the main chapters fun, and some scenes and moments stand out a lot in my mind still a few years after playing it, so that's good. Music was pretty great in Revelations 1, the story was dumb (a bit of fun, but I think the dumbest story in any Resident Evil game), and I will add Raid Mode in Revelations 1 can be quite addicting if you get into it.

Jawmuncher

So who actually likes the puzzles in Resident Evil games? I've ways felt that was the worst part of them. They never really fit the scenarios realistically, end up just wasting time, and become speed bumps when replaying. I can kind of understand their need in the earlier style but I much preferred when they were straight forward. Even RE3 which is one of the better examples of being straight forward had some bad puzzles in it as well.

Puzzles are my biggest worry for RE7. I don't want them to go so far back thinking they're needed fully. If they want survival horror they should focus on making the games tense and such. There's nothing scary about puzzles aside from the time they can waste when done poorly.

I like them overall but crate pushing puzzles can go to hell, they just waste time. RE3 has easily the best puzzles, and REmake's are decent as well.

RE2 has the worst puzzles of the non-TPS games sadly. Mostly just nonsense crate pushing and way too easy stuff even for RE standards.

Maybe I like them more in theory than in practice, idk.

JayEH

What I'm more concerned about is limited inventory space...nothing is fun about moving around then having to go all the way back to the save room to get that one item that you got in the beginning of the game that suddenly now becomes useful.

Anyway I started RE1 on PS1 for the first time. Really fun seeing the changes from Remake.

So who actually likes the puzzles in Resident Evil games? I've ways felt that was the worst part of them. They never really fit the scenarios realistically, end up just wasting time, and become speed bumps when replaying. I can kind of understand their need in the earlier style but I much preferred when they were straight forward. Even RE3 which is one of the better examples of being straight forward had some bad puzzles in it as well.

Puzzles are my biggest worry for RE7. I don't want them to go so far back thinking they're needed fully. If they want survival horror they should focus on making the games tense and such. There's nothing scary about puzzles aside from the time they can waste when done poorly.

Puzzles were never the reason I bought the games, but I don't mind them being there. They're usually not that hard anyways, and online walkthroughs can always get you past them if you get stuck.

I always liked RE1-3 because of the tone, setting, zombies, BOW's, etc. Not because you need some weird key to open a door.

Lunafreya

I'm pretty sure RE4 had some difficulty enemy/world changing changes depending on difficulty, at least between easy and normal.
I saw my friend play on easy and a lot of areas you have to go through on Normal/Professional are just plain locked out and you can just go past them.
for example: You can enter the big door that leads to the hall where you first meet Salazar straight away instead of going through the small door and fight a few cultists for the key.
Another example is: the bridge to Salazar's throne room is already in place and you don't go through the mechanical tower to rotate the bridge.

There's a lot of other examples but those were pretty noteworthy.

As for the puzzles! I think RE2make and (if we are lucky) RE3make will adjust the puzzles and make them better/make more sense in the world.

The puzzles in RE1/REmake always made most sense out of 0-1-2-3-CV considering what the Mansion was intended for and built upon.

BTails

As for the puzzles! I think RE2make and (if we are lucky) RE3make will adjust the puzzles and make them better/make more sense in the world.

This would be awesome. RE2 tried to justify the crazy puzzles in the Police Station by characterizing the police chief as a crazy eccentric dude, but by RE3, the developers straight up didn't care anymore. I'm replaying RE3 right now, and I just took a stone book from a statue, swapped it with a stone compass from another statue, then put the stone compass back on the first statue in order to get... A battery.

Dusk Golem

A well-done puzzle can be a lot of fun, and I generally do like puzzles, but the problem with puzzles is that different types of puzzles appeal to different people and people will feel differently towards them. I generally liked them in RE, they never have been that hard, but some of them can be dull. I think some of my favorites actually come from Zero and RE3, but that may just be me.

What I'm more concerned about is limited inventory space...nothing is fun about moving around then having to go all the way back to the save room to get that one item that you got in the beginning of the game that suddenly now becomes useful.

Anyway I started RE1 on PS1 for the first time. Really fun seeing the changes from Remake.

I like inventory management, but it can go wrong if the game has some design flaws. I do notice in the RE7 demo it says to drop items, so I wonder how that will play into the full game, and if it'll have item boxes or something of the sort? But then that would only be needed if you sort of backtrack and such in the game, otherwise it may mostly be pointless.

Yeah, I always use a chart on GFAQs to get it quickly out of the way.
Been ages I've played RE 3 though.

As a kid I wrote down all the puzzles to even drawing the shapes to get it out of the way on multiple playthroughs.

As far as boss fights go RE3 is my favorite with RE2 being a close second.

As a kid I wrote down all the puzzles to even drawing the shapes to get it out of the way on multiple playthroughs.

As far as boss fights go RE3 is my favorite with RE2 being a close second.

Other way around for me I like RE2 way more than RE3 but that is preference I think.

Never wrote down anything, I played RE3 really late tbh, don't know the exact date anymore though.

But writing everything down for you own was the way to go back in the days.

Dusk Golem

The RE3 Water Treatment puzzle is really easy actually, it just seems more complicated than it is (and I actually liked the puzzle I admit...).

You basically just have to solve it like building blocks. Think of how they 'stack', and try to match the diagram at the top.

The RE3 Water Treatment puzzle is really easy actually, it just seems more complicated than it is (and I actually liked the puzzle I admit...).

You basically just have to solve it like building blocks. Think of how they 'stack', and try to match the diagram at the top.

Well it is like Tetris basically, my younger mind couldn't handle all the blocks :p

JayEH

Beat RE1. Wasn't too hard since I had experience with Remake but it was still fun. I think I got one of the worst endings since Barry died and Tyrant is still alive lol. I saved Chris though. I really hadn't realized how much Remake expanded upon the original so I'm glad I played it and now I have some ideas for things they can do for 2.

Mr_Zombie

The stone/clock puzzle in RE3 is harder than the water treatment puzzle.

Yep, I never understood that puzzle and each time I played the game I just randomly put the stones in place until I finally got it right >_>

Beat RE1. Wasn't too hard since I had experience with Remake but it was still fun. I think I got one of the worst endings since Barry died and Tyrant is still alive lol.

This is one point where RE1 is far superior than REmake - there are many checks thoughout the game that indicate Jill's trust for Barry, and thus result in him either dying or surviving the mansion incident. In REmake all you get is a simple Yes/No question during the Lisa fight, in RE1 it's way more complicated and you can loose Barry even during the last 20 minutes of the game (he doesn't come back to you after the confrontation with Wesker).

PaulBizkit

The stone/clock puzzle in RE3 is harder than the water treatment puzzle.

The thing about that puzzle is that each stone has a value for modification that varies on the painting and and the turn it is being placed on, for example the white stone adds three hours on the baby painting, but if another stone is placed somewhere else... it adds five hours.

There's a specific order in which to place the three stones, i saw a couple of speedrunners use it.

This is one point where RE1 is far superior than REmake - there are many checks thoughout the game that indicate Jill's trust for Barry, and thus result in him either dying or surviving the mansion incident. In REmake all you get is a simple Yes/No question during the Lisa fight, in RE1 it's way more complicated and you can loose Barry even during the last 20 minutes of the game (he doesn't come back to you after the confrontation with Wesker).

In RE1 you have many modifiers for Barry's ending, i dont know what happens if you dont wait for him to bring the second rope... But, how can you leave the tyrant alive? Werent you supposed to kill it?

Mr_Zombie

Dunno how exactly does it work but there are few scenes where Jill's trust level can drop. Not waiting for Barry to return with another rope is one of them. Another one, IIRC, is overhearing him talking with Wesker in the guard house (it was fully optional in RE1). There's also the whole decision tree whether you want to travel through underground tunnels alone or with Barry, and whether you want Barry to lead the way (and if he does lead, whether you actually follow him and not take the second route).

As for the Tyrant, if Rebecca/Barry dies before the first Tyrant fight (or if Barry abandons you during the confrontation with Wesker) there's no one to trigger the autodestruct sequence. And thus there's no final fight with Tyrant - it's still alive.

Zambatoh

Beat RE1. Wasn't too hard since I had experience with Remake but it was still fun. I think I got one of the worst endings since Barry died and Tyrant is still alive lol. I saved Chris though. I really hadn't realized how much Remake expanded upon the original so I'm glad I played it and now I have some ideas for things they can do for 2.

While REmake did expand on the original's story, it still had a far less flexible story then the original game, which has always been my biggest complaint with the REmake.
Barry's death in REmake being reduced to a binary yes/no answer still irks me to this day.

In RE1 you have many modifiers for Barry's ending, i dont know what happens if you dont wait for him to bring the second rope... But, how can you leave the tyrant alive? Werent you supposed to kill it?

It actually is possible to skip the tyrant in the original game. I remember doing it completely on accident once, but I don't remember how that actually happened.

Edit: Oh! I see this was already discussed in the post above me. Carry on then.

PaulBizkit

While REmake did expand on the original's story, it still had a far less flexible story then the original game, which has always been my biggest complaint with the REmake.
Barry's death in REmake being reduced to a binary yes/no answer still irks me to this day.

I've never played REmake (just RE1) and I wanted to know this for a while: in the REmake, does Rebecca acknowledge, say or mention ANYTHING from RE Zero? Also, is her 3D model
in REmake
the same as RE Zero?

Zambatoh

I've never played REmake (just RE1) and I wanted to know this for a while: in the REmake, does Rebecca acknowledge, say or mention ANYTHING from RE Zero? Also, is her 3D model
in REmake
the same as RE Zero?

No. Events from Zero are never really acknowledged in REmake.

As for her character model, they did reuse it for Zero.

JayEH

in REmake
the same as RE Zero?

No and I'm not sure about the model. They changed it up for RE0 HD.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
in REmake
the same as RE Zero?

Rebecca's appearance changes a little between games. Not much

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Rebecca_Chambers/gallery

She doesn't talk about Zero OR her time with Richard ("Nightmare" scenario from Umbrella Chronicles) beyond Richard getting jacked up by Yawn.

She probably wouldn't be able to be honest about Zero, because she is faking Billy's death.

She DOES look really tired, though, which only seems reasonable considering she has been through two games worth of bullshit by the time Chris shows up. She sees more action than any other survivor of the mansion incident. It makes sense that a teenager with no combat experience would be completely fried by that point. It's her first mission, and everybody else from Bravo team is MIA/dead.

So no, Rebecca keeps quiet. Not all fans buy this rationale, but it works for me.

Zambatoh

Rebecca's appearance changes a little between games. Not much

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Rebecca_Chambers/gallery

She doesn't talk about Zero OR her time with Richard ("Nightmare" scenario from Umbrella Chronicles) beyond Richard getting jacked up by Yawn.

She probably wouldn't be able to be honest about Zero, because she is faking Billy's death.

She DOES look really tired, though, which only seems reasonable considering she has been through two games worth of bullshit by the time Chris shows up. She sees more action than any other survivor of the mansion incident. It makes sense that a teenager with no combat experience would be completely fried by that point. It's her first mission, and everybody else from Bravo team is MIA/dead.

So no, Rebecca keeps quiet. Not all fans buy this rationale, but it works for me.

I don't think anything can explain why Rebecca suddenly turns into a screaming damsel in distress midway through the game. She didn't even try to shoot the hunter or even try going through the unlocked door she was standing next to.'

Kinda like the "Stick to the script" achievement in Evil Within's DLC. It would make sense to deal with that situation before it happens, but developer hindsight and all that.

PaulBizkit

That's true, she has to keep quiet. But, as soon as she parted ways with Billy, did she go straight to the spencer mansion?

Why doesn't she tell anybody what she saw during RE Zero? I find it weird that she didn't mention anything during the REmake (because REmake and Zero were released around the same time and it was a great opportunity to integrate Zero to the overall plot).

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'm sure she gave a Billy-free account of the facility after they escaped the mansion (maybe we'll find out in the CG movie)

I wonder more about where all her awesome gear went

That horribly horribly depressing RE4 LTTP thread prompted me to start my annual RE4 playthrough, seems every time I play through I discover something new, this time it didn't take too long.
Had NO idea you could get back on the boat after the Del Lago fight and go see the merchant in a boat accessible cave! Also never noticed that Leon's starting handgun has "Custom Kendo shop" engraved onto the side, guess RE2 made Leon a lifelong customer!

Man this game is the gift that just keeps on giving, it gets better with each playthrough.

Edit: Holy shit immediately after I posted I bumped into a new cutscene!? If you go back to the dock where you start the Del Lago boss and go back to where the cutscene that shows the villagers dumping the policemans body into the lake, you'll be treated to an early encounter with plagas wolves, short scene but shit after playing the game 8 times it's wild to still have things left to uncover!

Zambatoh

That's true, she has to keep quiet. But, as soon as she parted ways with Billy, did she go straight to the spencer mansion?

Why doesn't she tell anybody what she saw during RE Zero? I find it weird that she didn't mention anything during the REmake (because REmake and Zero were released around the same time and it was a great opportunity to integrate Zero to the overall plot).

It's more likely Zero didn't actually start development until REmake was almost finished and they just didn't want to make any changes to the script to accommodate any changes made by Zero.

Rebecca isn't even wearing her dog tags in REmake.

JayEH

Wasn't 0 in development or at least some form of pre production before Remake started? I've seen that old N64 footage before.

Zambatoh

Wasn't 0 in development or at least some form of pre production before Remake started? I've seen that old N64 footage before.

Yes, but it was shelved before they could finish it. They didn't start development on it again until the gamecube came out. Some changes were made to the script as well since it was originally meant to coincide with an earlier version of RE4.

Bladenic

I'm finally playing Resident Evil 3 again, I'm gonna beat it this time finally. How many shots does it usually take to kill Nemesis? I got the magnum from the locker and unloaded all six shots into him then used like 10-15 handgun shots before dying and he still wasn't dead. The dodge also seems so finicky.

Zambatoh

I'm finally playing Resident Evil 3 again, I'm gonna beat it this time finally. How many shots does it usually take to kill Nemesis? I got the magnum from the locker and unloaded all six shots into him then used like 10-15 handgun shots before dying and he still wasn't dead. The dodge also seems so finicky.

Nemesis is a tank in every sense of the word.
The dodge system has the same basic timing as counter attacks do in RE6. You gotta hit the buttons just before the attacks hit you.

Top Bottom