• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Inside

I have never played the original RE. Only 2-3-4. Perfect opportunity to catch up on the first chapter in the series!

Freeman

Banned
People already complaining about graphics? Can't you just appreciate that a traditional RE game was finally given a chance after years of being completely ignored?

chadboban

Nice! One of my all time favorite games! Digital only is kind of a bummer though :(

This is one of those games where I'd love to have a physical copy to keep forever.

Edit: Just saw the screenshots. Was honestly expecting more since this is supposed to be a "remaster". Wanna see what it looks like in motion first before I come to a full conclusion but I'm kind of less excited now. But at least Capcom is embracing old school RE so that's something.

Dear Capcom, a "remaster" is supposed to look clearly better than the original.

rebiefa.png

This hardly does it in my opinion.

Still, good news considering a lot of people missed the GC and Wii versions.

-MD-

People already complaining about graphics? Can't you just appreciate that a traditional RE game was finally given a chance after years of being completely ignored?

Are you crazy bro? I play graphics, not video games.

Soule

I used to own this on GC, never beat it and eventually sold the game or something because I don't own it anymore but I'm relishing the opportunity to preserve it in my collection on Steam >:)

Seyavesh

what's up with the lightning differences on the characters

i just threw this together real quick but wesker beat me to the punch with a better comparison that definitely shows that the backgrounds are just upscaled stuff w/ a sharpening filter

also im a moron who typed 'upscale' instead of 'downscale'

1C96CLd.jpg

either way i'm buying it because i'm part of the problem and also more importantly i want more resident evils that are good

Hallondricka

Neo Member

This!

I´m just happy that more people are going to be able to play this great game.

DSmalls84

Looks great and I'm glad they have an updated control option. It's been a while since I played an re game with the tank layout.

We're complaining that they butchered it. They literally look a classic and butchered it. Instead of running it through horrid filters and charging 40 bucks(in Japan at least) for it they should have just upressed it and given an optional smoothing filter and sold it for 10. OR they could have taken the remade Mansion in Umbrella Chronicles and given it a new coat of paint white remaking the areas that weren't in that game and sold it for 20 bucks.

OR if they really cared they could have gone the Halo Anniversary route and done a completely redone graphical filter.

Xater

CV already got an HD version.

I'm torn on this port. It's not a true remaster, but with the way the game was developed, what could we have expected short of another remake?

Render new backgrounds and keep everything else the same. That's minimum effort in my eyes and it would not be undoable to do them from scratch.

Apparently not.

Another good reason to play one of my favorite games again, glad they are finally bringing this game to new platforms.

Dear Capcom, a "remaster" is supposed to look clearly better than the original.

This hardly does it in my opinion.

Still, good news considering a lot of people missed the GC and Wii versions.

If I'm not mistaken, the original backgrounds from GC are 512x448, no matter how hard they try, they will never look good at 720/1080 if they don't re-render them and probably that's impossible or very expensive.

This game will be perfect for VITA.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Capcom are beyond a joke at this point.

Thankfully the GC/Wii versions looked amazing already, no need for me to buy this when it's done so lazily.

Rendering new backgrounds would basically be the equivalent of remaking the entire game.

Yes and it would make for a genuinely worthy rerelease. This 'remaster' is nothing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Of course you can appreciate it. That's what the summer sales are for.

Edit: But if you want more quick and dirty ports of everyone's favorite classics with little to now work in them you're free to pay the full price for it.

I'm disappointed in Capcom for not archiving the assets used to make those backgrounds, or at least higher quality renders. I guess no one was thinking ahead back then.

The crushed blacks and oversharpening is kinda lame.

Rolodzeo

It's a nice idea for those who couldn't enjoy it on its day, but, tbh, it feels kind of lazy to me. I mean, look at those dolphin shots.

CV already got an HD version.

I'm torn on this port. It's not a true remaster, but with the way the game was developed, what could we have expected short of another remake?

A full re-render of the backgrounds in high resolution was what I was hoping for. Seeing it's using some kind of filter has me worried, but not 100% put off. EDIT: By full re-render I mean using the original assets, not remaking all the backgrounds - but it's clear that Capcom doesn't have these, otherwise we would have seen this REmaster years ago.

The 16:9 - follow option is a nice solution to the problem of people who don't want to play in 4:3. Yes, people who don't want to watch or play content because it's in 4:3 are the problem.

Control changes are cool if they can get people who don't like the traditional controls to enjoy the game.

In the end, this will come down to whether the characters stand out from the backgrounds too much while they are in motion or not. Whatever happens it is still one of the best games ever and even playing it on Dolphin or upscaled on Wii U couldn't take away my enjoyment of it. I imagine Capcom will price it around the same level as RE4 / RECV on digital marketplaces.

Xpliskin

HNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

HOLY SHIT

Capcom are beyond a joke at this point.

Thankfully the GC/Wii versions looked amazing already, no need for me to buy this when it's done so lazily.

Yes and it would make for a genuinely worthy rerelease. This 'remaster' is nothing.

It's a chance for people who've not played the game to enjoy it. If you own the existing version and are happy with it, this obviously isn't for you. I'm just glad that there's going to be a PC version, which means this masterpiece will never have to suffer from being stuck to outdated hardware. I do hope this texture filter stuff gets sorted out though.

How it would not be a complete remake to replace the image files. All the other work would still exist.

Whatever this is a poor effort and I'm not giving them any money for this.

Because those 'image files' are almost the entire game. There's not that many 3D assets in REmake.

News Bot

Banned
I'm a little disappointed with this remaster already. The backgrounds in particular aren't very good. Lots of compression and upscaling makes them pretty ugly. Bad lighting adjustments (make everything darker!), terrible vaseline filter, etc. On top of that, the game doesn't have a "true" 16:9 aspect ratio. It's just a lazy crop job-- they cut the top and bottom of the screen to make it fit into a 16:9 resolution. Not much better than the Wii port's lousy stretching.

On another note, not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the game will come packaged with a re-edited and remastered video of Wesker's Report I, along with the 30-page Wesker's Report II.

Top Bottom