• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

HIR0

Hmm.
Will buy for PS3 depending on how this plays.
I was thinking about buying the Wii version and playing it on the Wii U.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Nintendo finally have a way to remake Majora's Mask.

Based Capcom.

wehdnowt2x28.png

MilkyJoe

Resident Evil HD Remaster is coming to PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC.

The PS3 version will be the only platform in Japan to receive a retail release - there will be a regular version, a collector's edition, and a limited edition. It will also be available on PSN. The price of the regular version is 3990yen. Release date is Nov 27 2014. The 360 version will also be released as a download only title on the same day. 720p for PS3 and 360.

In early 2015 they will release the game in Japan on PS4, XB1, and PC as download only titles. The resolution for PS4 and XB1 is 1080p.

Woooooaaaaahhhhhh there (that's english for stop a horse...)

Is this going to be out in US and Europe?

Some of you need to calm down a bit and realize we're getting a ''new'' shot at 2D Resident Evil games again with this. Even if it's not the best-looking remastered versions, we're still getting to play this classic game again without the use of emulation.

If it sells, there is hope, but don't forget it's a long time coming so maybe enjoy it a little.

artsi

I wish this was done better, but I'll still buy it.

It's strange how they never thought "Maybe we might want higher resolution versions of these images someday?" when developing games with pre-rendered backgrounds. These days you'd think the render would be done in 4K or 8K and then downsized to whatever they need.

daninthemix

I never got to play the GC original so this is absolutely perfect for me. I simply don't understand the people raging about the fact that Capcom haven't redrawn all the visuals from scratch when that would clearly be impractical.

dan2026

I wish this was done better, but I'll still buy it.

It's strange how they never thought "Maybe we might want higher resolution versions of these images someday?" when developing games with pre-rendered backgrounds. These days you'd think the render would be done in 4K or 8K and then downsized to whatever they need.

They probably were created at a higher resolution.

But knowing Capcom, they probably lost the originals.

If by fucking up you mean the best thing they've done in over a decade then yes.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Not only is this "Remaster" terrible and showing a complete lack of respect for the original game and their customers you are also wrong in that they have done plenty of good things like the last decade. Like I don't know... Resident Evil 4. Don't forget other games in more recent times like Dragon's Dogma.

Mr_Zombie

On another note, not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the game will come packaged with a re-edited and remastered video of Wesker's Report I, along with the 30-page Wesker's Report II.

It would be nice if they included the recording of Wesker's Report II D.C. Douglas did for fans (http://www.residentevildatabase.com/index.php/component/jomtube/video/648). I understand why they won't do this (paying royalties and REmake having a different VA for Wesker), but it would be nice.

ArjanN

I have no problem with the graphics, it looks perfectly fine, especially given that I can now just get it on PC and have it forever. Expecting them to essentially remake the game again seems pretty unrealistic.

Blueblur1

Fuck, the screenshots have put a damper on things. It's disappointing to see Capcom put so little effort into this re-release.

eso76

lol.

I would have been ALL over a new, complete PS4/XB1 remaster with real time backgrounds and the choice of the classic, fixed camera angles or dynamic third person, and a couple extra rooms and enemies (kinda like what REmake did with RE). Full price over it.

I would have seriously considered a proper Remaster, with backgrounds re-rendered in full hd, concentrating all the geometry and shaders modern consoles are capable of, on new, incredibly lifelike character models.

But...an upscaled version of the 12 years old Gamecube game ?
that's a good one Capcom :D

It's labelled "Dolphin". Dolphin is an emulator for PC.

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to make a distinction. I don't think it's really fair to use a screenshot from the game being emulated as a comparison because it looks so much better than with a GC on a TV (to me anyway). The actual difference is pretty significant, if you go watch some gameplay videos of the GC version it looks nothing like that screenshot.

I never got to play the GC original so this is absolutely perfect for me. I simply don't understand the people raging about the fact that Capcom haven't redrawn all the visuals from scratch when that would clearly be impractical.

I think people should just be bummed that the assets used to render the backgrounds weren't saved and move on. They're doing the best they can with what they have. Which is 512x448 textures that need to look good blown up to 1280x720 and 1920x1080.

Bumhead

Banned
Not even remotely bothered by the visuals. They could re-release the original untouched for me.

Will just be nice to have it permamently available on modern platforms, so I don't have to wrestle with having to re-buy a GameCube every couple of years when I get an urge to re-play it.

gconsole

Not sure why people expect them to re-render the whole game for the sake of re-master. That is pretty much rebuild the entire game.

Not to defend Capcom. But the way they do this make so much sense. People should be happy for the fact that they still give a shit for original classic. Period.

Definitely going to be getting it on PS4. Not sure if I will be able to handle the tank controls anymore, but I am willing it try. Now they just need to remake 2...

Hurley

Great news, although I'm way more interested in eventual HD remake of RE2. Also, good job Thyway.

whoppingmajesticdougl1zj9h.gif

Yeah I'm hoping this remaster (and maybe re0 remaster eventually?) will lead to a re2 remake on current gen consoles using their new engine.

gelf

That "remaster" term is the worst part about this really, they're shooting themselves in the foot and raising expectations too much. Its basically a port which is good for anyone who never got to play the original. They should have the option for unfiltered backgrounds though.

I think people should just be bummed that the assets used to render the backgrounds weren't saved and move on. They're doing the best they can with what they have. Which is 512x448 textures that need to look good blown up to 1280x720 and 1920x1080.

Ignore the fact that the mansion was remade in Umbrella Chronicles and they could give that a new coat of paint. Ignore the fact that they could easily redo all the backgrounds in real time for pretty cheap and in a short amount of time. Ignore that other teams have done even bigger things in 7 months like Halo CEA.

dmr87

Capcom finally woke up, time to show them some love with this release and we might get more in the future.

I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic and hope that any filtering is either optional or some kind of issue with the images uploaded rather than the port itself. I remember back when the first RE4 HD screens came out, the brightness and lighting looked way off, and it was determined that some sort of editing had been done to the images, and the actual in-game footage was fine.

Stop freaking out over the backgrounds and be excited that Capcom is giving REmake another shot. It didn't perform so well when it was originally released, and that directly informed the direction the franchise took thereafter.

News Bot

Banned
Not sure why people expect them to re-render the whole game for the sake of re-master. That is pretty much rebuild the entire game.

This is a nonsense excuse. It's only a problem because CAPCOM don't bother saving assets even though most of their textures are taken from other sources. Just look at the RE4 texture thread on this very board. The same is true for REmake. Most of the textures can be found on the Internet.

It's the same reason RE2's backgrounds have always been 320x240.

scarybore

Devastated they aren't putting real effort into this, it's clearly a classic Capcom quick and easy port. Wouldn't be surprised if they removed the superior Type-C controls while they are at it, cause if they treat the beautiful backgrounds with such contempt, why not the controls?

gconsole

Ignore the fact that the mansion was remade in Umbrella Chronicles and they could give that a new coat of paint. Ignore the fact that they could easily redo all the backgrounds in real time for pretty cheap and in a short amount of time. Ignore that other teams have done even bigger things in 7 months like Halo CEA.

Are you really serious?

Top Bottom