• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

What an embarrassing thread between people acting like this was supposed to be a full blown REmake 2.0 or thinking art assets can just be ripped from the game and magically altered at the flip of a switch.

Some GameFAQ shit going on here.

Personally, while it is a bit disappointing, this is probably the best to be expected without the original assets.

Also can't believe how many people are missing the obvious reason why Capcom is doing this without breaking the bank for another remake of the game.

Gekidami

Banned
7710xIk.png
Yet its clear they've taken the 2D assets and applied filters. How exactly could it look better on the new gen consoles if they've used the same tricks?

Not even remotely bothered by the visuals. They could re-release the original untouched for me.

Will just be nice to have it permamently available on modern platforms, so I don't have to wrestle with having to re-buy a GameCube every couple of years when I get an urge to re-play it.

Same here. While my Gamecube is still connected to my TV, I really appreciate having this game on modern consoles. Could be still 4:3 and with untouched resolution, I just wouldn't mind.
I might be slightly biased though, because REmake is one of the best games I've played in 30 years of gaming. I'm really exited! :D

Stop freaking out over the backgrounds and be excited that Capcom is giving REmake another shot. It didn't perform so well when it was originally released, and that directly informed the direction the franchise took thereafter.

Yeah, sure, let's stop freaking out that they butchered the visuals of a classic and are asking an obscene amount of money for it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Happy news.

Don't even care about the visuals. Just glad to have the game, finally.

News Bot

Banned
If they had a higher resolution version of the background images there's absolutely no reason not to use them on PS3/360 as well (instead of the upscaled ones).

That's the thing, they don't have them. Same issue with the HD remaster of Umbrella Chronicles. The only textures that were even touched were character/enemy models. CAPCOM don't keep the source files of the original textures for environments and so on. So you get this ridiculous situation where they downscale a high-quality image, use it in a game one year, then upscale the textured image for a "remaster."

"Butchered" lol. Take a walk, dude.

re-011_bmp_jpgcopybfj71.jpg

This is the definition of butchered. They put a horrible sharpening filter on it and an oil painting filter and crushed the blacks. Other screens show that lots of detail is completely gone now because of this.
Makes a lot of sense to tell people not to buy the game then. They should just stick with RE7 cause it'll have a cleaner IQ, right?

No, they should ignore this trash port and buy either the gamecube version or the Wii version.
Stop trying to be clever, you are really annoying.

Platy

Was excited .... but with all that I will end up playing the New Play Control REmake (
"Resident Evil Archives : Resident Evil" ...yes, it is called that
) on WiiU with off tv play and be happy with it =P

Calverz

If this does well, does it mean we might get zero hd remastered as well? With online co-op? That would be amazing. *cries*

Leonsito

That's the thing, they don't have them. Same issue with the HD remaster of Umbrella Chronicles. The only textures that were even touched were character/enemy models. CAPCOM don't keep the source files of the original textures for environments and so on. So you get this ridiculous situation where they downscale a high-quality image, use it in a game one year, then upscale the textured image for a "remaster."

How in the fuck is that possible for one of the biggest gaming companies in the world? Even my local company keeps more than one backup of each file, texture, 3dmodel, script, etc...

I refuse to believe that capcom doesn't have the textures or the 3d models used to render the mansion, come the fuck on :(

Wait...I thought the whole reason this never happened before was that Nintendo inked some type of deal that prevented ports to non-Nintendo systems? (kinda like RARE's GoldenEye situation)

Still shocked in not seeing that Wii U port. Maybe cause the Wii port is still in print/backwards compatible?"

Neff

Fantastic.

No surprise that the original backgrounds no longer exist to be remastered, but it looks like they've hand-filtered each screen, and done a good job of it.

Also that widescreen scrolling thing is really, really cool.

Can't wait.

Prologue

I never played the series and even seeing the pictures send shivers down my spine from remembering my uncle playing it when I was a child.

Screw scary games.

*sobs in a corner.

"Butchered" lol. Take a walk, dude.

I'm not even going to bother using the .gif. NeoGAF has been quite an embarrassment the past two months, and I don't see why things are getting like they are here.

I will voice my disappointment though at the lack of both a Wii U or Vita version, considering the Vita wouldn't have required all the additional, if possibly negligible, footwork done on the remaster. Doesn't affect me much since the only platform I don't have current access to is the PC, but not having to do remote play when waiting on a meeting and not having to worry about lag would have been nice.

News Bot

Banned
How in the fuck is that possible for one of the biggest gaming companies in the world? Even my local company keeps more than one backup of each file, texture, 3dmodel, script, etc...

I refuse to believe that capcom doesn't have the textures or the 3d models used to render the mansion, come the fuck on :(

It's quite telling when UC actually had to change some textures entirely because they didn't have the originals anymore.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmmm... well I've been meaning to play this for about a billion years. Guess I'll pick up the Wii version.

They likely keep assets on hand now, but back then it seems to have been something that plagued many companies in the East. I wish I still had some of the articles that spoke about it.

Grief.exe

Don't try to rationalize Japanese publishers from a business perspective, you will drive yourself insane.

Whats "HD" in this HD edition? ....

Rendering resolution of thr character models?

KORNdoggy

but it looks like they've hand-filtered each screen, and done a good job of it.

that's pretty debatable tbh. looks like a photoshop action to me...i see no reason to believe they hand filtered each screen...lol i mean, it is capcom we're talking about here.

bumpkin

re-011_bmp_jpgcopybfj71.jpg

This is the definition of butchered. They put a horrible sharpening filter on it and an oil painting filter and crushed the blacks. Other screens show that lots of detail is completely gone now because of this.

No, they should ignore this trash port and buy either the gamecube version or the Wii version.
Stop trying to be clever, you are really annoying.
Um... My guess is that screen is right when lightning flashes, hence everything being lit up instead of being dark. The shadows are kind of a dead giveaway.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
If they had a higher resolution version of the background images there's absolutely no reason not to use them on PS3/360 as well (instead of the upscaled ones).
What could be interesting is if they applied a filter to "match" background-quality onto dynamic assets though. Then again maybe playing it in 480P on TV will already get close to that ;)

Durante

Yeah, pretty much.

What could be interesting is if they applied a filter to "match" background-quality onto dynamic assets though. Then again maybe playing it in 480P on TV will already get close to that ;)
What I wonder is why they chose such a smooth upsampling (probably vectorized?). They could at least try to recreate the "grittyness" of the original by running a noise filter on top of it (parametrized by the noise amount in the original image in the same area).

Guys, I'm going to remaster Citizen Kane!
4RJn03R.png

Click to see in 1080p
Don't mind the visuals, I didn't have the original reels to work from, I did the best I could. Just be happy that more people will have a chance to watch this movie.

Still shocked in not seeing that Wii U port. Maybe cause the Wii port is still in print/backwards compatible?"

well this is basically the Wii version, you have essentially the same game if you play the Wii version on the WiiU.

You just get achievements/trophies and marginally better sound mix with this version? :D

gconsole

This is a nonsense excuse. It's only a problem because CAPCOM don't bother saving assets even though most of their textures are taken from other sources. Just look at the RE4 texture thread on this very board. The same is true for REmake. Most of the textures can be found on the Internet.

It's the same reason RE2's backgrounds have always been 320x240.

Sir, I have to pay money buying this game too. I have no reason to be excused for RE or Capcom. So yes, Capcom didn't save their asset. So what the choice? Re-build the whole game because they don't save asset and suddently want to release re-master version?

Velikost

Well this is... disappointing. Capcom put minimal effort into the RE4 "Ultimate HD Edition" and it looks like the same thing happened here.

Unfortunately this isn't something that can be fixed by dedicated modders, like the guys working on the RE4 HD texture project. I'll wait for this to go on sale before I buy it, if I ever do.

Top Bottom