• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

patapuf

I've yet to see any sort of challenge 2 hours in on Survivor. Ammo and loot seem plentiful.

The game does finally feel like it's starting though so maybe it ramps up from here.

Disabling survival sense, so good.

Yeah. I'm thinking i'll do this tonight. The crafting doesn't seem to impact much and the collectaton is as uninteresting as in the first game.

And the secret tombs are easily discoverable without it.

Dr Dogg

The collectable items and crafting resources in the environment will give off a highlight around their edges when you get close to them and the prompt still pops up when you're right next to them. Plus I think the survival caches (but the coin caches) blink off in the distance so you can spot them also without using survival instinct.

None of these are cut scenes :p

24054582963_9327033429_o.jpg

24588992941_4c46350d30_o.jpg

24056154194_17a2bda02a_o.jpg

24566548372_cfb7efddd4_o.jpg

24657931966_f961201271_o.jpg

24056779524_4ff04a7bd4_o.jpg

24056779694_ffaa5ffc26_o.jpg

24658727486_3143db4a31_o.jpg

24316457539_83f390a414_o.jpg

d3vnull

This game is so frigging gorgeous.

Quick question... I bought the season pass and heard that you get a new bow with it.
Should I save mats and not upgrade the original bow for now?

Is there no season pass for PC. I wanted the witch dlc but I was like eh ill get season pass and get the dumb outfits for free but I couldn't find the season pass on steam.

Gbraga

Combat has definitely taken a hit. It's more-so standard gunplay now, altho now enemies require a couple hits before they react, and execution moves aren't invincible. Also, pocket sand is gone. Not as bad as Uncharted, but hovering the in that ballpark.

Basically took all of the fun out of combat.

Stealth is a little better than Wolfenstein's but also super cheesy.

Why would they do this? D:

iNvid02

Disabling survival sense, so good.

True tomb raiders don't use survival instinct!

Actually I think it's disabled entirely on the higher difficulty. Though there are some small gameplay upgrades for it later on.

I was using it religiously in the first area but it's become easy enough to find what I'm looking for now so maybe it won't be needed as much

Burger

Anyone else find it weird that in hot climates when Lara is wearing only a tank top she has no nipples?

Stormus

I thought it looked good on the XB1, but my gahd these PC screenshots look so fuggin good. My only real complaint about the game was the shooting/gun-play, which I'm sure is vastly superior in the PC version.

leng jai

Don't forget that while the graphics are insane, ROTR also has gorgeous sounding audio. Really completes the experience.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm liking it so far. It's hitting the sweet spot of wanting a more linear action adventure game, and though it took me two years to enjoy the last game, this seems like a pretty straight improvement almost entirely across the board, which is what I was expecting.

The crafting seems pretty shitty though. Just strikes me as an example of the devs really wanting to explore resource scavenging and crafting, but having the absolute wrong game to squeeze it in. I don't really think all the XP, crafting, and little objectives enhance the game at all. It's just fluff that's there for the sake of being there.

BPoole

Don't forget that while the graphics are insane, ROTR also has gorgeous sounding audio. Really completes the experience.
The sound of snow crunching under Lara's steps in the beginning sounded so real.

The overall mocap in cutscenes and voice acting is excellent as well

Moff

I did the second tomb and it was pretty decent. Simple but it took maybe 10 minutes to get through. Much better than TR2013

Also, once again that this looks stupid good. The hair tech, god damn.

why are your screens a bit blurrier than the others in the thread? I run the game in 1440p and it looks the same for me.

Otheradam

The hairworks thing is really amazing. Most realistic movement of hair in a game I've seen so far. Really impressed with the graphics in this game.

Fishook

I'm liking it so far. It's hitting the sweet spot of wanting a more linear action adventure game, and though it took me two years to enjoy the last game, this seems like a pretty straight improvement almost entirely across the board, which is what I was expecting.

The crafting seems pretty shitty though. Just strikes me as an example of the devs really wanting to explore resource scavenging and crafting, but having the absolute wrong game to squeeze it in. I don't really think all the XP, crafting, and little objectives enhance the game at all. It's just fluff that's there for the sake of being there.

I am enjoying it, as it makes a change from open world sandbox games, The XP and crafting is just appealing to the modern gamer, as well as tons of collectables. I have no desire to play through the different modes, as those card thingys just seem pointless.

Not sure whether to get the Baba Yaga thing if a additional tomb as part of the campaign, it may be worth a punt on my first playthrough,

JayB1920

I am enjoying it, as it makes a change from open world sandbox games, The XP and crafting is just appealing to the modern gamer, as well as tons of collectables. I have no desire to play through the different modes, as those card thingys just seem pointless.

Not sure whether to get the Baba Yaga thing if a additional tomb as part of the campaign, it may be worth a punt on my first playthrough,

Baba Yaga is a small additional location with a tomb and boss fight. Its about 1-2 hours long and has a pretty good puzzle and boss fight. Whether or not that is worth $10 is up to you.

JayB1920

I miss clicked a damn skill I didn't want. Do you end up getting most of them?

Depending on how much optional content you do you will end up with most of them. There were less than 10 I didn't have by the end of the game. I pretty much avoided the survival instinct focused ones since it is easy enough to find everything without and the weapon expert ones which pretty much just unlock finishing moves.

rtcn63

Do wooden salvage boxes regenerate after awhile? I'm doing the area around the hidden refuge, and I swear I've picked up some of this stuff before. (I have exited the game once or twice)

JayB1920

I just purchased this. It is amazing how much better combat feels even at 30fps. If the only time the framerate really drops on max settings is the hub areas then I think I will stick with max settings and FXAA on my 980 possibly medium dynamic foliage. Shadows looks too good for me at very high shadows and sun shadows to want to lower wither setting. Texture quality, Ambient Oclussion and shadow quality are a good step up from the Xbox One version.

Vuze

Is it possible to cancel a bow charge without moving? I'm currently using B but this does the ducking move which is a little annoying for stealthy play.

Parsnip

Is it possible to cancel arrow a bow charge without moving? I'm currently using B but this does the ducking move which is a little annoying for stealthy play.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, letting go of aim (LT) will cancel the (RT or RB) charge.

Vuze

If I'm understanding your question correctly, letting go of aim (LT) will cancel the (RT or RB) charge.
D'oh, that might be the solution indeed. Not sure why I was looking for a dedicated "Cancel" button when I could just let go of the trigger. I'll try, thanks!

AEREC

For as good as the game looks, Laura's animations can look janky sometimes. Like they aren't interacting with the environment correctly or something, or she's fully connected to the layout of the level...not really sure how to describe it.

Tubie

I just purchased this. It is amazing how much better combat feels even at 30fps. If the only time the framerate really drops on max settings is the hub areas then I think I will stick with max settings and FXAA on my 980 possibly medium dynamic foliage. Shadows looks too good for me at very high shadows and sun shadows to want to lower wither setting. Texture quality, Ambient Oclussion and shadow quality are a good step up from the Xbox One version.

You should be able to keep a near perfect 1080/60 with a 980 with everything maxed, no reason to lower anything.

Unless you're trying higher than 1080.

Top Bottom