• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

So glad this is a great port. I played and love the X1 version. I'll probably end up going through the whole game again. It looks so great.

Bonus, cross post from the screen shot thread.

24044135984_a060a32ce4_o.png

24304616439_c55367c811_o.png

Unai

The game is showing 10% off on steam right now.

Weird. It wasn't 10% off for preorders, was it?

Nope. I'd guess the 10% launch discount is Microsoft's doing and Squeenix discounted the post-release subs to match. For those who really want those few bucks back, you can refund the pre-order.

It is showing 10% for me on Steam. Brazilian store, though.

Edit: Also, the "Day 1 Edition" has the pre order content. WTF.

noomi

Wondering if it's worth the season pass for $30 now or just getting Baba Yaga DLC for $10.

I'm only really interested in story type DLC. Couldn't care less for Endurance mode. Anyone know is there is a plan for a 2nd story DLC after Baba Yaga?

Toa TAK

Banned
Wondering if it's worth the season pass for $30 now or just getting Baba Yaga DLC for $10.

I'm only really interested in story type DLC. Couldn't care less for Endurance mode. Anyone know is there is a plan for a 2nd story DLC after Baba Yaga?
Just Baba Yaga I'm afraid.

Lime

Oh my Luddington's voice acting is so bad. They seriously need to find a new actress for the next game or something

Oh my Luddington's voice acting is so bad. They seriously need to find a new actress for the next game or something
I love it tbh

Also how are people getting a "stable" 1080/60 on max on a 970? I'm running a mix of high + very high and had to use my monitor's 50Hz mode for stability.

JayB1920

I love it tbh

Also how are people getting a "stable" 1080/60 on max on a 970? I'm running a mix of high + very high and had to use my monitor's 50Hz mode for stability.

They probably have not gotten to more intensive areas yet. What settings did you turn down? Dynamic foliage to medium, shadow quality high, and tessellation off should be a big help.

Karak

I love it tbh

The first part isn't anything at all and many people will probably be fine there. Later is when the shit can get rough.

Tubie

I love it tbh

I have an i7 6700 with 16gb DDR4 and a EVGA SC+ (not even sure if this "super clocked" thing makes any real difference from the stock model) GTX 970.

And it actually stays pretty much at 60 when I'm just exploring. It's closer to 50 when there's a lot of action going on.

It only drops into the mid 40s on some extreme close ups of multiple people with hair like that London scene with Lara and Ana, but that's because I have hair maxed out too lol.

patapuf

I shat a lot on TR13 but the opening sequences here are much better already. The lack of QTE's during action sequences is a big step in the right direction.

Maybe CD will find their way back to more exploration and puzzle solving after all.

The story still seems a bit eh though.

Ahhh so jealous of you guys. These picks look incredible. Making me want to replay it again haha...

I shat a lot on TR13 but the opening sequences here are much better already. The lack of QTE's during action sequences is a big step in the right direction.

Maybe CD will find their way back to more exploration and puzzle solving after all.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised then. At least going off your early impressions :)

Lime

Graphics are incredible no doubt. I wish the narrative so far wasn't so eye-rolling when they spend so much time and money on these fancy lavish cutscenes.

They probably have not gotten to more intensive areas yet. What settings did you turn down? Dynamic foliage to medium, shadow quality high, and tessellation off should be a big help.
I've put shadow quality to high, but I've left tesselation on and I really wanted Very High PureHair :p so I've locked it to 50 and it seems ok now.
The first part isn't anything at all and many people will probably be fine there. Later is when the shit can get rough.
Yeah, it was fine there but the London cutscene was a proper GPU stress test :p
I have an i7 6700 with 16gb DDR4 and a EVGA SC+ (not even sure if this "super clocked" thing makes any real difference from the stock model) GTX 970.

And it actually stays pretty much at 60 when I'm just exploring. It's closer to 50 when there's a lot of action going on.

It only drops into the mid 40s on some extreme close ups of multiple people with hair like that London scene with Lara and Ana, but that's because I have hair maxed out too lol.
Interesting... I have an i5 4590 (but CPU isn't a problem, checked utilisation) and 8GB DDR3. Maybe that makes a difference.

Oh man, I can't wait to get home tonight and play this until my eyes bleed from exhaustion. I really, really enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot - so much so that I completed it twice ( once on PC and once on PS4 ). It is, by far, my favorite 3rd Person Adventure / Action game, along with Uncharted 2, and I am excited to see if Rise of the Tomb Raider lives up to par.

Bod

Neo Member
Just picked up the standard edition from greenman gaming for £26 . what a bargin.

Cant wait to play, looks amazing

Oh my nicolas cage this game looks so amazing. I cannot believe that I am finally playing a graphical beast that is also actually worth playing again.

Can't wait for the weekend!!!

@those who already played it: How's the difficulty? I played the first one on survivor immediately and thought it was ok. Can I take the highest difficulty here as well or does it just end up being frustrating?

I played it on XBO and I will say that Survivor will make you fucking cry in frustration at the very end. Even on normal I wanted to shoot myself near the end.

BashNasty

So, thinking about picking up this amazing game on PC so I can play it with all the bells and whistles (and no input lag). While I've played a significant portion on Xbone, I haven't finished the game, I'm curious from anyone who has finished it on Xbone how much game I have left ahead of me.

Don't click unless you've already beaten the game
I'm currently at the spot right after Jonah is shot by Constantine and then healed by the Prophet dude. I'm about to enter the passage that opens up right after that happens. How much core story is left at this point?

JayB1920

It is a big step in the right direction. There are far fewer slow mo and QTE moments and the setpieces require you to use your platforming skills. The combat also felt better paced throughout. The main story features 3 larger tomb/ruin environments and there are more puzzles spread throughout the campaign. The optional tombs are much better too. None of the puzzles are too difficult but the were all fun to solve and are almost all an improvement on the reboot both in puzzle design and environments.

Toa TAK

Banned
So, thinking about picking up this amazing game on PC so I can play it with all the bells and whistles (and no input lag). While I've played a significant portion on Xbone, I haven't finished the game, I'm curious from anyone who has finished it on Xbone how much game I have left ahead of me.

Don't click unless you've already beaten the game
I'm currently at the spot right after Jonah is shot by Constantine and then healed by the Prophet dude. I'm about to enter the passage that opens up right after that happens. How much core story is left at this point?
You still have a little but more to go, you're just barely entering the 3rd act.

zdenko1

Here are some uncompressed 4K screenshots from first hour of gameplay. Everything is turned up to very high except AA and motion blur :)

Graphic is absolutely beautiful. It's on par with Star Wars Battlefront. One wouldn't believe that this was originally on Xbox One. Nixxes are fucking porting wizards!

24305826809_385928a91a_o.png

24647290996_3505dc8e19_o.png

24555729452_13649ca999_o.png

24579961981_83766fc6a3_o.png

24045329904_8baf6681b6_o.png

24046669203_2f86033e7b_o.png

24377945730_e6b4ef51ae_o.png

24647267926_3ac21700ed_o.png

QTE's are terrible, I cant believe they kept them with this game.

Start game "Press X to not die" ok...press x

Then jump to a horizontal pole - no QTE prompt...ok no X needed. Fall to death.

When you die multiple times on an intro level, perhaps your systems suck?

I had so much respect for proj red when they patched witcher 2 to remove the annoying QTE

Top Bottom